[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1540077659215.jpg (160 KB, 953x953)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
what went so goddamn right?
>>
Like most #2s in a franchise, it perfected the formula established by the original and didn't leave much to be improved on. It's also the best soundtrack for taking you back to the late 90s.
>>
>>8517129
GUERILLA RADIO
>>
>>8517135
YOU GOT ME RUNNING IN A CYCLONE
>>
>>8517132
1, 2 & 3 all have equally great sound tracks i think.
>>
File: Carlsbad.jpg (220 KB, 1024x683)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
Fucking great gameplay
A suite of multiplayer modes where you could compete or just fuck around together with a bud
GOAT soundtrack
Goal checklists and the gaplists were satisfying to complete
Old Neversoft SOUL, before they became a sad devhouse associated with running franchises into the ground
Together with Jackass and CKY it got people going out skating and having fun
>>
>vert tricks can't be comboed because you can't manual out of a quarter pipe

Weak.
>>
>>8518618
HEREEEEE AAAAAAAND NOOOOOOOW
>>
>>8518625
>>
>>8517129
They modeled part of the southern California High School after my old high school. It was surreal being a teenage skater in the early 2000s, having met Tony and some of the other skaters in the game (most of which live in SoCal), playing through a level with my high school logo in it.
>>
AND DON'T FORGET THE JOKER
>>
filtered me, why is it so complicated?
>>
>>8519617
what? it's an extremely simple games. it got complicated with 3 and chaining reversals and tricks dor bing bing wahoo points
>>
>>8517129
it's what happens when worlds collide
>>
>>8519617
>Do trick, grind/manual on land, ollie, do another trick, repeat
How do you get filtered by that? Such a simple gameplay loop.
>>
>>8517129
The SOVL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu5Hg9MAEmo
>>
>>8518635
you're supposed to do them off of drops, or manual up to one for a big finisher.
>>
Because it was the same smooth gameplay of the first game, but with manuals allowing you to make points with combos that weren't strict half-pipe moves or grinding. You could grind and manual over to another rail, or manual off a grind into a half-pipe for a finisher. All levels being proper levels instead of the downhill style levels in the first game was also a plus.

Oh, and built-in skatepark editor.
>>
>>8517129
Better levels, improved gameplay, solid soundtrack.
>>
>>8519617
I would understand if you said Thrasher Skate and Destroy, but Tony Hawk's? Come on, man.

>>8519631
I played a few of the PS2 Tony Hawk games out of sequence a few days ago. It was fucking jarring going from THAW to THPS4 with all the stuff from the former removed in the latter.
>>
Pretty neat that you could unlock two secret levels (Chopper Drop & Skate Heaven), as well as many of the regular levels having secret areas
>>
It didn't go right. Actually go back and replay it, you'll find that the school is the only good level. Hanger and the challenge levels are too small and the other ones are just plain badly designed.
The only people that think this is some masterpiece among tony hawk games are nostalgia-blind morons.
>>
File: grinner.png (31 KB, 127x128)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
>>8517135
TURN THAT... UP!
>>
>>8517129
It was kind of an end of an era as well. I think it's an evolution of a type of gameplay that seems to have gotten less popular. Really concise, time limited, you're sort of just challenging yourself. I'm probably grasping at straws here, but it still feels to me as a specific type of game that didn't really continue past the PS2 or so.
>>
is the first one worth playing? or should I go straight to 2? I never see anyone talk about 1, it's just 2, 3, THUG 1 and 2.
>>
Prefer 3 and 4. 60 FPS..... Good soundtrack. Perfected formula
>>
>>8519617
Literally just mash buttons to do as many tricks as possible in a huge jump. It's like button mashing in fighting games but with literally zero punishment as long as you nail the landing.
>>
>>8520451
I agree that New York and the Bullring sucked, but the rest were awesome. Marseille was grind-able edges and pools all over the fucking place, Venice is full of quarter-pipes, gaps, and all sorts of grind routes, Skatestreet is a literal skate park with great flow, and Philadelphia has a mini-skate park with half-pipes along with plenty of rails and staircases.
If anything, I'd say the School level is one of the weaker levels since it tends to direct you into the corner with the quarter-pipes. Do the big drop? Headed into the corner. Grind the rails or the bike racks? Headed into the corner. Take the side-path to the lockers? Gonna pass through a small area, then headed into the corner. Every path goes down from the start, and leads into the same corner.
I'm guessing you are just baiting for (you)'s, so here you go.

>>8520787
Yes. Play it first. The lack of manuals makes it feel simplified after playing THPS2. Still plenty of fun and good levels.
>>
THPS4 because of Daisy
>>
>>8519701
Are you ready to go?
Cause I'm ready to go
>>
This thread makes me want to try the remake on PS4
>>
how can I play 3 and 4 these days? what are the best versions? I remember downloading the pc version of 3 few years ago but I couldn't get a controller to work with it
>>
>>8517129
Manuals
>>
>>8520447
>Skate Heaven
YOU SUCK
>>
>>8521021
>not playing the original versions
pleb

>>8521175
check pcgamingwiki.net
>>
>>8517129
Unpopular opinion but I think THPS4 was the best in the THPS series.
>>
>>8517129
It was slow enough to enjoy and pull combos on, had an absolute killer OST, properly good level design, fun cheat codes, and it ended the 90s better than anything else that exists.
ALL BOXES - [X]
>>
>>8521730
Based opinion
But 2 is my favorite so you'll have to settle for second best in my book
>>
>>8517129
marsella
>>
>>8521175
buy the console and physical game off of ebay
>>
>>8521795
They are all great so I can respect all opinions on THPS rankings (minus the one that came out in like 2015). I think the free skate mixed with goals is what made THSP4 stand out for me, and the unique levels like Zoo and Carnival. The soundtrack was weak though.
>>
>>8519075
That would have been surreal. Did it make the game more enjoyable for that novel fact?
>>
>>8517129
Good soundtrack, solid gameplay and decent stages. I still like Underground more but THPS2 is pretty great
>>
>>8521836
I feel it did. I was nigh obsessed with that game. Looking back I can see how culturally relevant it was for me and my friends. Tony Hawk has a house in my town and Neversoft (THPS devs) are only located about an hour drive from where I live.
>>
>>8519075
does the school still exist? I'd love to see some comparisons
>>
File: School2_RBVHS.jpg (409 KB, 1204x1744)
409 KB
409 KB JPG
>>8523710
Sure does. I can't find any good photos of the interior but there are handrails, gaps, and ledges that they referenced for the School level, which itself is an amalgamation of several different schools in San Diego and LA counties. Pic related is the 'Longhorns' logo, which can be seen in the "quad" area of the level.
Carlsbad High School isn't far from here and a famous gap/rail pictured here >>8518641 is featured in the level as well.
>>
>>8523872
kek. cool. i rode the wall of that building in the lower half of the pic many a time
>>
>>8517135
BRING THA NOISEE

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.