[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

It's time for Bart vs the Space Mutants
>>
ok our time is done here
>>
...in all seriousness I played this game growing up. Its weird how the first level is pretty much the only level where you use inventory items.
>>
If only Konami had managed to snag the home console licence
>>
For a Western-developed platformer it's ok. Not great but not terrible either.
>>
>>8517295
The platforming itself is one of the worst aspects of the game. You could tell that they wanted to make something ambitious, because level 1 has so much elaborate adventure game-esque content. The game controls horrible though, so the experience is totally miserable. It's hard to categorize a game like this, because while it's not strictly a conventional action/platformer, it's not exactly good either. A lot of Western Nintendo games are like this.
>>
I owned this game. I could never get far but I watched my brother beat it. It's janky but I liked how much weirdo creativity there was in the levels. Lots of one-off bits that never show up again. Yes the first level is the only one that really feels like Simpsons (and maybe the power plant) but it's got Krusty's fun house surreal stuff, dinosaurs and tar pits, collecting fuel rods, using donuts to have Homer drop down and kill stuff... more fun for me to watch than play though, lol.
>>
>>8517314
it seems like they weren't good at working around the NES's limitations, I'd bet a lot of these guys were from C64 or DOS PC backgrounds where you had abundant RAM and fewer restrictions on where and when you could manipulate the video.
>>
>>8517334
Western developed games on the NES were indeed pretty questionable, they improved markedly on the 16-bit consoles perhaps because there weren't as tight limitations.
>>
>>8517341
>>8517334
It's more like Western devs were not good at side scrolling action games yet; the Japanese invented the format after all and America and Europe took a while to figure them out. I agree the 16-bit consoles being more powerful and easy to work with probably helped.
>>
EA didn't even bother with the NES at all, they just skipped ahead to the Mega Drive.
>>
>>8517370
Too bad Mega Drive Simpsons games weren't any better.
>>
>>8517397
It's almost as if Acclaim was a shovelware factory who wanted to milk the Simpsons license for all it was worth.
>>
I didn't like the Mega Drive or Amiga versions of this game. Even with less colors I thought the NES one had a better art direction.
Both this and VS The World had a sort of gritty early Simpsons look.
Not good games but still interesting. Lots of people definitely played them back in the day due to the Simpsons craze of the early 90s, the Bart era.
Also yeah first level of VS Space Mutants was actually neat.
>>
>>8519149
the Spectrum port was surprisingly better than it should have been
>>
>>8519153
Probably because Speccy users are used to terrible games
>>
The first level is kino, literally feels like what an open world could be in a NES game, you could do so many things to try to get the objective of hiding purple things and you interact with tons of simpsons shit.

Every level after that isn't as innovative and is mostly just a normal platformer with bad controls, but the first level made up for it with all the things you could do. It gets unfairly hated.
>>
>>8517370
They did Skate or Die 2 exclusively on the NES (after Konami's port of the first game sold pretty well), as well as The Immortal.
>>
>>8519453
Those were not done in-house, EA contracted them out to other developers/publishers as they had no desire to do business with Nintendo directly. Actually, to be fair EA have always had a hateboner for Nintendo since they think their consoles are underpowered and inadequate.
>>
>>8519683
Given that EA sort of blackmailed Sega into giving them a massive deal on licensing, I’m sure they didn’t want to deal with Nintendo’s licensing at all.
>>
>>8519683
>Those were not done in-house
Everyone in the Skate or Die 2 team was an EA employee at the time, but I don't see what this has to do with The Simpsons anyway.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/skate-or-die-2-the-search-for-double-trouble/credits
>>
what is the best version of this game?
I used to have it on the NES but looking at screenshots the Sega Genesis seems to have the best graphics but the computer version has cinematics.
>>
>>8520354
NES
>>
Eat my shorts!
>>
it's on literally every viable system at that time other than the Gameboy (why no port on there?)
>>
>>8520641
Nigga how you gonna show purple on a screen with 4 colors?

Picrel has better platforming but is still a shit game.
>>
>>8517314
>>8519447
The Simpsons was red hot back then and Imagineering were probably really excited about this game and wanted to create an epic, but they may have been lacking in time (usually the case with licensed games) and perhaps their plans were too ambitious for the NES to handle.
>>
>>8520697
yeah that's the usual problem with Western-developed NES games. a lot of these guys were from PC backgrounds and wanted to do exploration or puzzle elements that the NES didn't have the space or control inputs to pull off. for as sloppy as TMNT was, Konami didn't make that mistake and they concentrated on what the NES did best which was moving sprites around the screen (often overloading the thing in the process and making levels full of slowdown and cheap bullshit difficulty).
>>
>>8520697
The Mega Drive would have been more capable but unfortunately time constraints meant they couldn't do much more with that port other than copypaste the existing NES game with upgraded graphics.
>>
>>8516985
>>8517314
>Hey Mr. Simpson, check out this level we made as our business pitch. Can we go ahead with the development of the rest of the game?
>Yes, looks amazing!
>Akklaim: Ok devs, you have $5000 to make it happen in four weeks. Chop chop!
And thus the game was born.
>>
>>8520756
they didn't really have to care, in 1991 anything with Bart Simpson on the box would make a million.
>>
File: eadevkit.png (461 KB, 898x586)
461 KB
461 KB PNG
>>8519703
>Given that EA sort of blackmailed Sega into giving them a massive deal on licensing, I’m sure they didn’t want to deal with Nintendo’s licensing at all.

Apparently, EA reverse engineered the genesis/ Mega Drive and made their own development kit that they showed to Sega. They said they would release unlicensed games if Sega didn't give them a good deal. Sega did. But, it may have been a tactic that EA was pushing for all along, as they would have preferred to be a licensed dev.
>>
>>8520674
This is the one I had as a kid, never beat it.
>>
terrible game but i feel like it's an essential master system game because so many people suffered through it.
>>
>>8520674
I beat Bart vs the World using NEStron w/ savestates when I was 10. The hardest part was the slider puzzle, and not because of the puzzle, but because of the 5-second song that played on loop
>>
Anyone ever stopped to look at how KINO the cover art is, though?
Why was early 90s Simpson so goddamned comfy?
>>
>>8520971

I finished it on a rental for some reason. It seems like a strange thing for me to have done since I didn't like the game all that much. I even collected all the optional whatevers you can find, or something, and got the special little bonus at the end. I guess it must have been an okay game.

I also finished Space Mutants on rental. I liked that better. Even the stupid museum has a real charm to it, with that crazy dinosaur and the weird ankh setpiece. It's an intriguing game. I think I kinda liked all of it except maybe the hat level, that one is just getting hats and making stupid jumps as far as I can remember, with not so much special feeling to it.
>>
To those who want to experience a game that feels like this (because it's made by some/all of the same people I guess?) but that's actually good despite its clunkiness, I sincerely recommend playing through Ghoul School blind. The game looks crude, has somewhat awkward controls, and badly wants more variation in the designs of some of its locations, but it's basically quite strong, and I really had fun with it. I even played through it for the first time as an adult, so nostalgia was not present. It has character and feels like its designer cared about it.
>>
The sega genesis version has the best graphics but it replaced all the characters with generic ones for who the fuck knows why. For example instead of fighting Nelson at the end of level 1 you get a random original character in simpsons style. It sucks since otherwise it would be the definitive version of the game. The PC ports had some extra FMV and story segments were more animated but overall they looked worse than even the NES version.

>>8523417
Early simpsons art had the benefit that not all characters were established so you would get some random characters that weren´t in the show or characters from the show doing other stuff that wasn´t necessarily their gimmick/one note gag.
Also early simpsons the main character was Bart not Homer so stuff was focused on Bart which lead to a different look all around. At least the first 4 seasons all were mostly based on Bart, after that is when homer kept getting more and more attention.
>>
>>8520674
I rented and beat this one as a kid. I remember it being a lot easier than Space Mutants for some reason.
>>
Virtual Bart is underrated
>>
>>8525817
If anything, it's the one that gets the least flak of the Acclaim games, because people like the tomato throwing mini-game (I think it's overrated).
I prefer Bart's Nightmare.
>>
>>8525838
I never played Bart's nightmare but I'm guessing it's also judged unfairly. I won't say Virtual Bart was a master piece but it's a compilation of mini games. The tomato and water shoot levels are fun little mini games. The baby one is a lot of fun, the dinosaur and pig levels are fun platformers, just a tad too difficult, with save states they're much better games. The only one that I don't like is the motorcycle one, no reedeming value on that one.
>>
>>8516957
Some of the levels are good. Like the first level is awesome since it's you exploring Springfield and there's a lot to do. Krustyland is also really awesome.
>>8520971
I had it and got good enough at it where I could routinely beat it and also get the good ending. Game has some unfair platforming, but once you get used to the controls, it's not bad. The game also throws extra lives at you like crazy.
>>8527620
Bart's Nightmare gets a bum rap because it's one of those games you can't exactly pick up and play, you really should read the manual first. Otherwise, you'll probably just get frustrated trying to figure it out on your own.
>>
>>8516957
I played that and still do loved it then still do now finished it a load of times that and vs the world
>>
>>8516985

Yep and you use the magnet from level 1 on level 3 to rig the roulette. Inexplicable
>>
>>8523474
>Ghoul School
Never heard of this, looks kinda cool, ty

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.