[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 35 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: anbernic.jpg (29 KB, 300x255)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
Hi guys, I tried the Anbernic 280v. It had flawless design but as I expected it stopped working after like 2 days.

The thing is there isn't on market right now what I need. I need a small handheld for GBA and SNES games (more on Castlevania and RPG games). Only chinese crap seems to satisfy that if it wouldn't break in days.

So I'm considering to buy a new DS or 3DS XL. My questions are:
1. can I inject games into them (GBA and SNES), so I won't pay 2k-3k in games?
2. where to buy? Gamestop is sold-out. Both 2ds or 3ds. They have the originals (not new or not XL) but since the price is about the same why not get a newer version.

More advice please! Except don't ad the chinese handholders. I'm done with them.
>>
>>8361638
Just get a RG35* and call it a day, stop buying random crap nobody ever recommended.
>>
>>8361638
>280v
Try charging it with 5 volts next time.
>>
File: tank.png (530 KB, 918x476)
530 KB
530 KB PNG
>>8361646
>Just get a RG35*
you mean... the tank? Because it can't be the RG350. It is still Anbernic. It is still China. It will still break.
>stop buying random crap nobody ever recommended.
you're recommending me the same company and same brand, except different model.

>>8361656
>Try charging it with 5 volts next time.
bwhahaha, so funny.

Now can I please have real answers?
>>
>>8361638
As always I will suggest the Retroflag Gpi Case. https://www.amazon.com/Retroflag-CASE-Raspberry-Zero-Shutdown/dp/B07RT9VGS4/ You can use the Pi Zero or pi Zero 2 and it's a great unit. Works like a charm, excellent build quality and it has a number of useful hardware mods if you want to really personalize it.

Otherwise for GBA I would suggest IPS GBA with a flashcart. I have a non-IPS and an IPS, and the non has been my daily driver for something like twenty years now, no issues whatsoever. My IPS is just as good, although I wish I had the proper, original button membranes for it, as the ones that came with the GBA were worn down and I had to replace them while refurbishing it. You might be able to get a used DS from Craigslist/FB Marketplace/Wherever for a reasonable cost still and flashcarts are cheap as chips for the DS.
>>
Wait for the Steam Deck
>>
>>8361678
Where do you imagine your DS will be made zoom zoom?
>>
>>8361678
>Because it can't be the RG350. It is still Anbernic. It is still China. It will still break.
The 350 or 351. No, you're a fucking retard who buys shit like the 280V nobody ever recommended and everyone knows is a piece of shit, instead of the 35* that is highly recommended and people have had for ages that works absolutely fine and don't cost a ridiculous sum.
Everything these days is made in China, just became it's sold under the same brand name doesn't mean shit, they aren't even similar designs.

Buy a 35* off Amazon and you'll have 2 years warranty thru Amazon and no worries about it breaking or not and having to deal with Anbernic directly. Problem solved.
>>
>>8361678
>It is still Anbernic.
Not anon but you do realize that's just a brand name? The RG350 isn't even only sold under that brand

>>8361701
>Buy a 35* off Amazon and you'll have 2 years warranty thru Amazon and no worries about it breaking or not and having to deal with Anbernic directly. Problem solved.
This, if you're so worried about it breaking because it's made in the same factory as a DS
>>
File: anbernic2.png (455 KB, 1303x746)
455 KB
455 KB PNG
>>8361701
>who buys shit like the 280V nobody
yet 280V it is the PERFECT SIZE for what I need. Also doesn't have the knob buttons. Also fits in any pocket. But thank you for your advice, I'm considering a 350, but only after a DS.

>>8361705
>RG350 isn't even only sold under that brand
you're confusing the merchant name with the producer name. Pic related.

>>8361683
>Steam Deck
no, that's zoomer crap.
>>
>>8361715
>you're confusing the merchant name with the producer name. Pic related.
It isn't called the RG350, it's just the same guts in a different but similar case
>>
>>8361638
3ds screen is crap for gba. since its 320x240, you either get a post stamp sized 240x160 image or a horrible unreadable mess of an upscale.
chink handhelds might serve you better. although if youre mostly just interested in turn based rpgs, emulating on your phone is a bearable option.
>>
>>8361724
>It isn't called the RG350, it's just the same guts in a different but similar case
what?! Look at the picture above. All of them are RG350. All of them are in the same case. Same guts in the same case. One producer. Different suppliers.

I don't understand what are you trying to prove.

The same company that makes the 280 that burns in 2 days makes the 350 you advertise so exasperatedly here.

even if nintendo has companies in China you are missing the point here: it's the QA assurance. Selling products of inferior quality it is a market strategy. Lets say 50% of them break, but only 13% of the people returned them, being discourage or simply having money not to care that much. The rest, 50-13 is PROFIT. You just sold damage products. It works in big numbers. It's a strategy.

Now when you ever heard about the Japanese adhering to that strategy? Toyotas are probably the most reliable cars in US. Hence, my point. You buy a DS - you expect quality.
>>
>>8361801
>showing results for: rg350

>>8361724
>It isn't called the RG350

lol
>>
>>8361801
>even if nintendo has companies in China you are missing the point here: it's the QA assurance. Selling products of inferior quality it is a market strategy. Lets say 50% of them break, but only 13% of the people returned them, being discourage or simply having money not to care that much. The rest, 50-13 is PROFIT. You just sold damage products. It works in big numbers. It's a strategy.
Like anon said, buy on Amazon if you're worried it will break, so you can easily swap it out or get money back
>>
>>8361727
>3ds screen is crap for gba
b-but look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POtk82F39Uo&ab_channel=sthetix
>>
>>8361701
>who buys shit like the 280V nobody ever recommended
280v are fine for the most part and they have been discussed on /vr/ before for true pocket gaming. Just beware the weird sellers who are dumping theirs for $50 on Ali express. At least get one from the official anbernic store.

There are bootleg 351p/v and 280v out there, no logo, different plastic, and rotten battery, missing SD card, etc. Real anbernic have a QC sticker typically. There were a lot of shit anbernic clones dumped on Amazon as well so it's not just an Ali express problem.

OP:
When you said it stopped working did it no longer power up, or no longer boot? If it's the later try replacing the SD card (preload with 280v rogue or other decent firmware) and that may unfuck it. The Chinashit SD card is the main weak point and should always be replaced.
>>
>>8361873
>280v are fine
of course they are. they have been discussed here. That's why I bought one. From amazon. It did had the QC sticker on the TF boot card. Yet in 2 days it did no longer boot. I made 1-start review on amazon - it didn't got approved - I strongly believe they are messing the reviews.

What bothers me is the guy above is like "don't buy that piece of junk" when it is the same company and same electrical components and integrated circuits inside, same QUALITY, as the 350.

And I repeat: the 280 is PERFECT size for GBA. Incredible design.
>>
>>8361978
>What bothers me is the guy above is like "don't buy that piece of junk" when it is the same company and same electrical components and integrated circuits inside, same QUALITY, as the 350.
Except it's not. I own both. Did you even take both apart?
>>
>>8361978
>Yet in 2 days it did no longer boot.
You probably fucked something up yourself, these devices aren't for retards, the OS is on the SD card

>I made 1-start review on amazon - it didn't got approved - I strongly believe they are messing the reviews.
You sure about that? Verified buyer reviews can't be "disproved" or messed with
Hence why you buy one with good reviews and a seller with good reviews
>>
>>8361978
you probably fucked up your os or are still using the chinkshit sd card it shipped with. ive had my 350 for five months. its completely fine.
>>
>>8361638
Get a N3DS/N3DSXL/N2DSXL. Buy second hand. Set up CFW and inject games.
>>
I have a retroid pocket 2 and it's worked great. Plays GBA and SNES ROMs perfectly in retroarch and it's really well built despite being plastic. Mine has been covered in same, mud and knocked about at the bottom of a bag and it's still going strong. Buttons are a bit stiff and the interface is... well it doesn't have one, but there's a new version coming out with better buttons and an actual interface. Might be worth looking into.
As anons have said, might be the SD card crapping out that killed yours.
Or you could get a used DS and an R4 card. No SNES but you won't be wanting for games.
>>
File: review.png (20 KB, 970x298)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
>>8361982
>Except it's not. I own both. Did you even take both apart?
No, I didn't. Did you? And if yes, how exactly did you compare the quality ICs between them? Jesus Christ, it's the same company, moron.

>>8361995
>You probably fucked something up yourself
No. I meant to say "not powering at all" instead of "not booting". The screen won't lit up. There's nothing what I could possible fucked up. I simple played a couple of games already on it. Never tinkered it. Never dropped it. No water drops. How exactly can you fuck it?

>>8361995
>Verified buyer reviews can't be "disproved" or messed with
Simple. It's not being published. Picrel. It's for days already. I'm in the process of returning the product. Such a shame... Good design.

>>8362012
>for five months
uhm...

>>8362065
>Get a N3DS/N3DSXL/N2DSXL
from where?
>>
>>8362136
>And if yes, how exactly did you compare the quality ICs between them?
They literally uses different SoCs and designs.

>Jesus Christ, it's the same company, moron.
Do you think all Nintendo products are made by the same engineers and the same factory with the same exact parts?...

>No. I meant to say "not powering at all" instead of "not booting".
Sounds like a fucked up SD card, flash a new SD with CFW?
>>
>>8362136
>Simple. It's not being published.
It will be and the seller can't do anything about it.
Amazon even encourages you to leave negative reviews if you return something because of a problem, there's literally a hint on the return process page.
>>
>>8362136
>from where?
eBay, facebook marketplace, etc
>>
>>8361638
>RG351P
GBA
>RG351MP
Everything else
>>
>>8362162
>They literally uses different SoCs and designs.
A case design or even an electrical design wouldn't matter if the components are the same quality. The fact that it has a different shape doesn't mean it has different components inside necessarily. It doesn't matter if the SoC is "different" shaped, whilst it has the same ICs in its circuit.

>Do you think all Nintendo products are made by the same engineers and the same factory with the same exact parts?
LMAO, yes. It is a very small engineering team behind the design, probably 2-4 people. It could be even the same factory, since ICs are made in one factory, then shipped to all the other assembling factories. And even the parts might differ, they are based on the previous ones, that's why you have backwards compatibility of DS to GBA.

>Sounds like a fucked up SD card
Sounds like a board issue and it is in the process of returning. And I will never buy one again, too bad, the design was good, but the China's market strategy of having so many defects will deter me.

t. engineer
>>
>>8362214
>It doesn't matter if the SoC is "different" shaped
>whilst it has the same ICs in its circuit.
How to tell someone has ZERO idea what they are talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_circuit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_on_a_chip

>>if the components are the same quality.
>small chinese factory is able to keep the same suppliers
Haha, you wish.

>LMAO, yes. It is a very small engineering team behind the design, probably 2-4 people.
That's some dumb shit. Even the Switch has several different teams just for different things, one working on JoyCons, one on the case, one on the internals, etc. Those people change out over time too and get switched between teams, since they are just standard people working from 8 to 5 like everyone else.

>It could be even the same factory, since ICs are made in one factory
Nintendo doesn't even produce its own components... What are you talking about?
>>
>>8362245
>How to tell someone has ZERO idea what they are talking about.
idk, I'm struggling that with you. Maybe I'm using wrong terms.

System on a chip doesn't mean the whole thing is an integrate circuit. SoC = a computer on a single board. That's it. It's a type of design, not a type of a computer. The same computer can be achieved with multiple boards connected via wires. The fact that the 280 or the GBA is a SoC and it is completely irrelevant to us.

Do me a favor and go on wiki on the SoC page that you provide. Click on the photo on the right. You'll see a board with a couple of black squares. Each of that square is an IC, an integrated circuit. It's not the classic size, the one with many legs, like in the other page, but it's a size reduced to board level, specifically made not for manual soldering, but for automatic processes.

When I stated that the 280v doesn't differ to much of a 350 I didn't meant that the SoC is the same, obviously it is not. I stated the ICs are the same, most of the same type and all probably produced by the same supplier. The difference is the SoC board is different, to accommodate other buttons, other shape of the case, another USB port or so on.

>Those people change out over time too and get switched between teams
yes, actually I've been transfered from HR dept into the Control System dept a couple days ago, that's why I'm so retarded on this subject.

>Nintendo doesn't even produce its own components
I never said it was Nintendo producing its own components. I stated "probably it's the same factory (not Nintendo specifically) that produces the ICs then they ship them to the assembly companies".

I won't reply you anymore.

>Like the handhelds preceding it, the Nintendo 3DS was developed by Nintendo Research and Engineering. The team was formed during the inception of the Game Boy Color and has been the primary architects of Nintendo handhelds ever since.
https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Nintendo_3DS
>>
>>8362316
>I won't reply you anymore.
Good.
>>
>>8362245
lmao, you know who you remind me of?
Of that husband that bought a different case for wife's iPhone and told her it's the newer model. It's not 7, it's 8. Totally different. Works better. OMG, product excitement!
>>
File: DSC_0276-01.jpg (2.73 MB, 4032x3024)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB JPG
works on my machine
>>
>>8362329
I just want to say that whenever someone posts a screencap of HOD, be it from an emulator or a photo of actual hardware, it’s always in the exact same spot each time. That same room on the same platformer with the same enemy coming towards Juste. Am I going crazy or is that one spot just really photogenic?
>>
>>8362361
I was seriously considering starting a new game in HoD just to get to that point to take a picture for you for the sake of my own stupid sense of humor, but nah.
>>
>>8362361
And now you realise that any handheld thread here is either marketing or negative marketing. Except for anything I say, you can trust me.
>>
Does my social credit score increase just for posting in this thread? :)
>>
>>8362440
>either marketing or negative marketing
what can it be elsewise tho?
>>
>>8362329
NICE LENOVO LEGION LAPTOP
I HAVE ONE TOO
>>
>>8361678
I have an rs97 from when they came out. My nephew still plays with it. It's now 4/5 years old?
Also have an rg350 from 2019 that's also working perfectly fine, and a newer rg351mp that I expect to last some 10 years at least (maybe not the battery, but that's replaceable).

So stop being a retard with your stuff and stop complaining.
>>
skimming the conversation in this thread i can say the quality control lottery with chinkshit is real. most likely your unit will be just fine' but there's a non zero chance they ship it with a defective dpad or a dead battery or something of the like. if you want to be on the safe side its best to order from amazon or some other reseller with a robust return policy, because if you order directly from chinks and get a lemon, i sincerely wish you good luck trying to get your money back.
that said a unit that has functioned months without any issue isnt likely to suddenly crap out and chances are it will last you years.
>>
>>8363570
Of course it's real, that's why people recommend using retailers like Amazon where you can swap your items if it turns out to be defective in just a day without hassle. The reason it's much cheaper is that they skimp out of QC.
>>
File: 2ds-.jpg (39 KB, 522x621)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>8361638
>>
>>8361638
I'm not American so I can't help you with the second question. But I can tell you that the new 3DS XL is a great emulation machine. You can hack it wide open in seconds with software exploits, and then you can install emulators for basically all the 8-bit and 16-bit consoles. They all look fantastic at 1x scale. For GB/GBC I would suggest installing games as VC games (no need to inject, you can find the full GameBoy library online already injected). Then you can use the 3D thing where the top screen literally displays a GameBoy with the game playing at a 1x scale on the "gameboy's screen" with some depth effect that emulates the distance between the real GB screen lens and the actual display. It looks very well. For GBA, again you can find the whole library pre-injected. The games run natively so there are no emulation issues. You can run at 1x which some people find too small (even though physically you get the same effective screen size as on an OG GBA), the full screen scale is kinda meh with a crappy bilinear filter, but the size is at least really large.

TL;DR the New 3DS XL is a better emulation machine than all that chinky shit as long as you don't need PS1, N64, GC emulation
>>
>>8363587
Just get the New Nintendo 3DS, it has a new CPU/SoC that's must faster than the old 3DS and can do PS1, N64, etc. The chink handhelds can't do GC properly either.
>>
>>8363593
I was specifically talking about the new 3ds, but really it's just still too slow for 95% of the N64 and PS1 library. I wouldn't emulate anything at less than full speed.
>>
>>8361683
Gabe, go back to bed
>>
>steam deck
yeah its cool and all but i dont want to hold a brick in my hands
>>
>>8361727
>Using the non-XL 3DS
Are you Asian?
>>
>>8363606
This, I have a GPD Win 2 for that
>>
>>8362615
An actual discussion.
>>
>>8363705
That's the problem, even when I discuss something, openly criticize it, etc but the second I say something positive or recommend it everyone just calls me a "shill".
>>
>>8363720
I'm the guy with the rg350 and rg351mp.
I won't call you shill, because I've tried (almost) everything. And that's why I can say with certainty that the chink handhelds are a very good bang for the buck.
Every 8 and 16 bit stuff works wonders and runs the same/better than the new 3ds. Then they can also run psx better than a PSP or Vita, and also run some other stuff. N64 has some hiccups (better than the 3ds) and Dreamcast is very good.
As for PSP, the best way of playing it is still on original hardware, or with the Vita.
I don't recommend the 3ds not because it's not capable, but because of its price and bulkiness.

>8 bit
Chink shitters or 3ds
>16 bit
Chink shitters or 3ds
>handhelds
Chinkshit, specifically the rg351p/m for gba, although I don't personally like the devuce because it's so niche (really only useful for gba)
>psx
Chinkshit, maybe vita
>psp
Psp or vita
>nds
Nds or 3ds
>arcades and other systems not mentioned
Chinkshit
>retro computers
Any flavor of gpd with keyboard or some smallish laptop. Handhelds without keyboard are terrible for these, unless ported and optimizes for the controls.
>>
>>8363860
Or just get a GPD Win 2 and do them ALL
>>
>>8363860
>dreamcast
Recent chinkshit or pc
>n64
Really, play it on the pc. You can play it on a chink handheld or 3ds, but the experience sucks

>>8363867
Or that, but it's terribly overpriced and the battery seems to like dying.
>>
>>8363860
3ds is undeniably great for GB and GBC emulation, and pretty good for running GBA natively
>>
Would you buy these grips?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_hDDCa5peI
>>
>>8363596
>>8363593
Well I'll be fucked, apparently major progress has been made on the PS1 emulation front on N3DS this year and about 80% of the library runs now full speed. What the fuck.
>>
File: DSC_0253-01.jpg (2.85 MB, 4032x3024)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB JPG
>>8362361
maybe you have been in all the thread I've posted pics?
I choose that spot because the green wallpaper is extremely bright on emulators and ips screens and looks awful. but it looks great in og screens or if you know how to adjust your emulator properly.
>>
>>8361678
>>8361638
I've had a RG351v for half a year now. No issues whatsoever. You just were unlucky.
>>
>>8363705
we're having it right now.

Summary

I bought an Anbernic 280v for GBA games and I was impressed and very pleased of the design. The size is IDEAL, literally PERFECT, it fits in any pocket. I can play it at work.

However, it broke after 2 days and no matter how much people would say it's garbage and the 350 / 351 is better, it;s chinkware regardless.

I just explained how their strategy works: they skim the quality process. Obviously they will have failures. They discourage people won't send it back. Tip: buy it from Amazon, not directly from them, so you can return it in 1 day. However, I'm disgusted of this strategy.

I don't want to buy anymore chinkware. I'm considering a New 3ds XL or a New 2ds XL. It seems to have a strong community of hackers. You can play literally everything, from GBA to PSX. I don't want to play PSX, just GBA and SNES.

BTW, at GameStop either one is around $150. So I don't see it too big of a difference from 100-120 of a RG350.
>>
just got my v90 today, man this shit is fucking sick. way better than playing gb/c/a on my o3ds. the buttons are fucking nice compared to the clicky 3ds ones.
>>
>>8365302
3ds xl is uncomfy. I have manlet wrists and the 3ds fatigues me. Get a vita instead
>>
does it matter if roms are zipped or extracted? does it run better if extracted or is it exactly the same
>>
>>8365805
Why are you assuming that everyone else is also a tiny genetic failure of a manlet? Normal people should always get N3DS XL
>>
>>8366129
Very mean :(
>>
File: 1638007292237.jpg (982 KB, 3462x1647)
982 KB
982 KB JPG
Just get a GameSir controller
>>
>>8366297
>wide phone
>controller that makes it even wider
Looks uncomfy.
>wrong aspect ratio
>disgusting filter
Oh nonono
>>
>>8365302
>it;s chinkware regardless.
I don't blame you for distrusting Anbernic stuff now, but if a looooot of people agree that other Anbernic machines are actually good and don't break you're just being stubborn on purpose at this point. The other models are actually that good. Watch some Retro Game Corp videos on youtube if you're still unsure.
>>
File: 1638021290622.jpg (761 KB, 3452x1517)
761 KB
761 KB JPG
>>8366602
Phones are wide these days, yes. At least it plays GC fullspeed.
It's not more or less comfortable than a Switch.
I only use a stretched aspect ratio on GBA games that are SNES ports. Otherwise they are too narrow.
And I only use a shader when I stretch the picture.
>>
>>8366615
A switch is uncomfortable. Too wide and big for a handheld. The lite is okay.
>>
>>8366797
>switch
>too wide and big
What are you, a fucking midget?
>>
>>8361697
>zoom zoom
ok zoomer.
>>
>>8365302
>my unit failed on me
>so the entire company it's rubbish now
ok child.
>>
Is there a handheld that I can replace the buttons and rubbers for ones from a snea controller?
>>
File: butthurt-o-meter.gif (11 KB, 304x161)
11 KB
11 KB GIF
>>8366945
>no u
>>
>>8367082
Reputation matters, Chang. Shocking concept for bugmen to fathom, I know.
>>
>>8366850
I play xbox with the duke.
The switch is simply unergonomic.
>>
>>8365805
vita is too weak to properly emulate even GBA.
>>
>>8366612
>>8367082
the model doesnt matter, at the end of the day these are tiny chink companies who dont have the funds to afford quality control. when nintendo and sony etc. big boys make devices they test them to see if they work. chinks dont and they dont do returns, so people end up with lemons and get fucked over. it doesnt matter which model you buy because the process is the same regardless. buying from chinks is always a gamble. but like said, you can just buy from a western reseller with an actual refund policy if you want to be safe.
t. different anon
>>
>>8367552
Hence just buy off Amazon so you don't have to deal with them and worry about getting a new unit if yours is bad
>>
>>8367563
that makes them cost like $50 more though. when the price gets closer to 200 it starts to get hard hard to justify spending that amount of cash on china crap.
>>
>>8367576
rg350 and rg351 are less than 150€ on amazon though
they are over 100 on aliexpress too, unless you buy the cheapest ones and get fucked over
>>
>>8367583
rg351mp is like 170€ however.
>>
>>8367598
You can buy directly from Anbernic too, they have a Shopify site.

RG351MP is currently available for $129.64 on their site.
That's about 115€ / £97 right now.
>>
>>8367598
I boughr it for 120€ when it came out

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.