[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I booted up my snes to play super mario all stars today and everything is all glitched out. First attempt, I got a weird screen about how copying games is illegal. All my saves are gone, but I’ve never heard of a dead battery causing glitches like this. Any ideas?
>>
>>8361582
Is it just in that one game? Did you clean the contacts, etc.?
>>
File: 1533531168752.gif (1.54 MB, 480x264)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB GIF
>>8361582
>I got a weird screen about how copying games is illegal.
Maybe don't illegally copy games?
>>
Time to upgrade to a Sega.
>>
>>8361627
It is just this one game, and yeah, I've cleaned the contacts several times now, still getting the same result.
>>
>>8361582
Just like the developpers intended
>>
prolly a gremlin in it
just open it up and scream "BEGONE FAGGOT" and theyll usually fuck off
alternatively, if you dont feel like opening it up, just throw it in the oven at 500F for about 45mins and thatll smoke em out for sure
>>
>>8361764
Kek'd
>>
>>8361582
Boy get to the repair general, open it up; post pics, and I'll help you.
>>
File: KOOK.jpg (12 KB, 480x360)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>8361764
Good idea, I'll just throw it in the smoker while the turkey's cooking.
>>
>>8361848
The only repair general I see is archived, here are pics though.
>>
>>
>>8361868
>>8361870
hmmmm
looks like somethings wrong with the G-diffuser
>>
>>8361582
That just looks like what CRTs look like when you photograph them poorly. Is the green part the glitch, or those weird vertical lines?
>>
>>8362161
Instead of saying 1 player game, 2 player game, battle game, that's all missing, and the cursor is just floating off under the date.
>>
>>8362170
My bad, sorry. Can you get into the game at all?
>>
>>8362190
Mario 1 and 2 seem to work fine, but with Mario 3, one of the invisible options give me the dun dun sound and one boots me into a 2 player game where luigi spawns off of the edge of the map. All the weird lines are just from me taking a pic of a CRT, it looks normal other than things being out of place or missing.
>>
My guess would be a failing SRAM chip. When the game powers on it writes a value to SRAM then reads it back from an address that's actually out of range. If the cart is fake it will return nonsense (or whatever is in the address if it's a larger chip, which was common on fake carts) and this triggers the anti piracy screen. A real cart just returns the value as written. So that explains the piracy screen.
If the SRAM chip is falling then you could get glitches like you see, and if only some later registers are borked then that would explain why only SMB3 is affected. But this is all an educated guess, I'm not an expert on the SNES.
TLDR, if I'm right you'll need a donor chip. Probably cheaper to just replace the cart as your save file is likely gone forever, sorry. Maybe you're lucky and it's not the chip, just a cold solder joint, but I don't think you'd get anything at all if it were a bad connection.
>>
>>8362243
Thanks, that makes sense. Strange that the sram and the battery went at the same time. Guess I'll try to find a replacement chip to swap out just for the experience.
>>
>>8361582
That’s the anti-piracy measure. Meant to detect and prohibit usage of those floppy disk copying piracy things. Seems that your cartridge is fucked up so try cleaning it.
>>
>>8362302
The battery is probably fine. The SRAM falling explains all your problems on its own.
I will again make the disclaimer that I'm just some well intentioned anon on the intertubes, I'm not a professional repairman. Don't spend any actual money on my word alone (I didn't even notice the problem at first if you remember).
>>
>>8362426
I'm not worried about spending a few bucks on a replacement chip or cheap donor cart, anon. Another thing I noticed is that my saves aren't actually gone, but every slot has a 1-1 save in it where previously some of them were blank. I think you're spot on with the sram theory.
>>
>>8362435
Let us know how it goes.
>>
>>8361706
Could be that the pins on the cartridge itself are dirty or even damaged. Try cleaning with small amounts of alcohol, failing that, repin the cartridge.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.