[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 56 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: DaBkCefXcAEDJn2.jpg (297 KB, 1067x1200)
297 KB
297 KB JPG
Do normies really think more polygons and complex lighting = better graphics? Do they have no concept of the bigger picture of visual aesthetics, art design and color work?
>>
File: ELZsRl-UwAAppH-.jpg (106 KB, 1200x1123)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>
It's not "normies", it's pretty much everyone and it's been a thing forever though it started being more and more the case in the mid to end 90's.

Reviewers would always rate "graphics" based on the technical aspect, not how it actually looks. The irony being they wouldn't do the same thing to other aspects of the game. IGN's review of Mega Man 9 opened a lot of people's eyes on that subject when the reviewer shat on the graphics for being technically "dated" yet said the musics were great, despite being as technically dated.

The sad thing is that this mentality is even present on /vr/, of all places you'd think an old games forum would be exempt of it but no.
>>
>Are specsfags real

What a retarded thread. Why do you think that Apple is able to make billions from new junk every year?
>>
>>8360932
Well only 1 in 54 people have autism according to current figures, so I guess it's inevitable
>>
>>8360932
The majority of people have no aesthetic sense. They need to be told whats beatutiful and what is not.
>>
>>8360932
Both look good.
>>
>>8361041
I fucking hate how they just diagnose any weirdo with autism now. Because these people are then able to live normal lives and reaffirms normalfags' belief that autistics are just the socially awkward nerd archetype.

Yes, I have autism. That is why I have no job. Just because Elon Musk has autism, that doesn't mean that I'm able to be successful and act like a normal person.
>>
>>8360932
Spyro has complex colored lighting tho(mario64 for example dosen't)
>>
>>8360932
There are people out there who geniunely think that The Twin Snakes is better than the original Metal Gear Solid, so yes.
>>
>>8361058
I actually like how Mario mandate games like 3d World look over Mario 64.
>>
File: 1637045623924.jpg (92 KB, 768x1024)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>8360932
I can tell that left is spyro, the graphical fidelity might be samey for its age but the themes, colours and aesthetics are unmistakably Spyro.
Right could be fucking any game thats a remade ps1 franchise. The snow mountains look exactly the same as the snow levels in CTR:Nitro-Fueled for gods sake. There's no voice in left. I don't give a shit how "pixar" it tries to look. It's generic.
>>
Right reminds me of those awful shader mods on Minecraft that were popular a few years ago
>>
>>8360932
Too bad a lot of early home-console 3D games lacked the ability to pull off their intended aesthetic in a way that wasn't undermined by other limitations. Don't get me wrong, I love the original Silent Hill, for instance, but I will I that it would've been much more effective at conveying the gritty horror aesthetic had it been rendered like Silent Hill 2.

I'd have preferred the Saturn and PlayStation had they been more focused on high-end 2D graphics, things like Mega Man X4 for instance, instead of awkward dabbles in gimpy 3D. That said, some companies came up with good workarounds, like Capcom using orerendered BGs in Resident Evil.
>>
>>8361080
Yeah, but you're comparing two very well made games with Silent Hill 1 and 2 and essentially people who were able to take their concept further with the new console and succeeded in doing it. Some people will still prefer the less detailed and more 'abstract' imagery of PS1 games made with limitations though, and that's taste. I'll tell you myself I thought Snake looked cooler in MGS1 then he did in 2, and alot of that was due to him not being as detailed and in as high definition.
>>8361042
They haven't been educated in it, or don't care. It's something you need your eyes opened to, knowing what to look for, what makes a good composition, what colors work together, the connections you need to make when cutting scenes or changing camera angles, etc... I don't blame people, same as if I played some lesser known Mozart piece they wouldn't 'get it'.
>>
>>8361087
If you're saying that one needs to be trained to know good aesthetics then you're basically implying that good aesthetics is subjective, which it is not.
>>
>>8361093
Not necessarily 'trained' but to even pay attention to it in the first place for most things. If a zoomer plays a Playstation game his mind isn't really on that kind of stuff and if anything he has a preconceived notion and barrier to appreciating it. If someone points out some of the qualities or cool things about it, he may be able to start to understand why people like it, and pay attention to that stuff. Most people can watch a Hitchcock or Kurosawa film and then some modern generic shit and not come away with the idea that the old movie had amazing visuals and directing, etc... Same as you can play some Chopin and then some random modern piano shit and they wont be able to tell you much about what's really different about them, and that's not subjective, right?
>>
>>8361080
>I love the original Silent Hill, for instance, but I will I that it would've been much more effective at conveying the gritty horror aesthetic had it been rendered like Silent Hill 2.

SH1 looks a lot better than 2 though. When I think about areas in that game, I can at least remember some colours. SH2 I just remember grey and more shades of grey. PS1 version has that grainy look that was lost from SH2 onwards, and without the low FOV/poly count on PS1 the series probably would never have had any fog.
>>
>>8361107
We are talking about just aesthetics here, right? I don't want to sound like a pseud but with classical music there are so many subtleties that a lot of people wouldn't get. The same maybe with classical cinema, though I couldn't care any less about that. In the way that things literally just look, whether it looks good or not ought to come naturally. I don't think that kids are really bothered about aesthetics, I still enjoyed black and white films when I was a kid.

In my opinion, one must be trained to think that bad aesthetics are good, pic related.
>>
>>8361119
The last line kind of sums up what I was saying nicely. Yeah, aesthetics are for the most part natural, but we're trained or conditioned to have natural preconceived notions which create barriers to our perception of things and this seems to get worse as time goes on, so a lot of people, not even just zoomers, automatically think 'old thing bad' same as girls might say a championship bodybuilder is 'gross too much muscle', and like some modern musician or person marketed as a star who looks like clown. Part of it in our case is the fault of the gaming industry as well because they had to pump up their new games and consoles so constantly tried to condition people towards 'grafix' instead of the aesthetics, so they have a preconceived notion which prevents them from seeing the beauty of alot of stuff.
>>
>>8361118
>SH1 looks a lot better than 2 though
I disagree.
>>
>>8360932
It's true though. Imagine the artstyle on the left, but with smooth angles where they should be.
The problem isn't more polygons and better lighting, these are inherently better, the problem is they change the fucking artstyle every time.
>>
Graphics determine the cap for aesthetics.

The push for better graphics have led to better aesthetics. Anyone who isn't a nostalgia fag can see this. No one gives a ahit about the crap you cherry pick. Remake sprouts and crash are better then the original by miles. If you dont think that you are mentally crippled. Sorry the rest of us aren't and you don't fit in.
>>
Both look awesome. I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that my mind wouldn't be blown seeing the HD remake back in 2000.
>>
>>8360932
Normies don't think, which is why they put those white leds in their house, giving it a soul crushing supermarket feel. Of course they don't give a fuck about aesthetics.
>>
>>8360932
Based
>>8360935
Fucking beautiful
>>
>>8360932
Yes. Many people have no appreciation at all for art or beauty. They can either by normies or autists who are obsessed with whatever tech buzzword is trending and if it isn't present the game doesn't have good graphics.
That said, people on this board who claim that games like Tomb Raider have good graphics are nearly as bad.
>>
>>8360932
I wish we would see more ports and less remasters.
>>
High fidelity lighting truly has ruined 3D gaming. I vomit every time I see every object on screen tinted orange, in the same way TV shows use an ugly yellow filter when they want to convey it’s a scene set in Mexico. Let colors pop and be vibrant.
>>
>>8362058
>TV shows use an ugly yellow filter when they want to convey it’s a scene set in Mexico
kek this, wtf. The absolute state of americans.
>>
>>8360932
Change the skybox on the first three and they are fine
>>
File: myst_remake_001.jpg (398 KB, 1520x908)
398 KB
398 KB JPG
>>
>noooo my retro graphics were on purpose, the developers wouldn't possibly have made them any different with access to modern technology
Enjoy your retro games for yourself as much as you fucking want, but you have to be fucking DELUDED to think fifth gen polygon counts were a deliberate artistic choice.
>>
>>8362085
They were, denial of this is just denial of reality. How does it feel to be insane and disconnected from reality?
>>
>>8362084
i-it has time of day, right? haha surely that must be time of day.
>>
>>8362089
the fucking delusion
>>
File: dyatlovdelusional.gif (2.96 MB, 498x280)
2.96 MB
2.96 MB GIF
>>8362097
Certifiably insane.
>>
>>8360932
Both look very good. I feel like this image is being used for bait only.
>>
>>8361064
CTRNF came out after.
>>
File: spyro_remake_gemgive.webm (2.89 MB, 1600x534)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB WEBM
>>
>>8362058
>>8362060
I shouldn't be surprised to know others have noticed this because it's so hamfisted as to be hilarious, but it's still incredible to me how overused this is. The whole movie could look normal, but as soon as the scene switches to Mootxico, bleak desert colors everywhere. Maybe it's like that in some desert frontier shithole towns, but fuck's sake. I suppose it's just pandering to the intended audience's expectations at the end of the day.
>>
>>8360932
I hate to say but it's actually far worse. Normies and 90% of people on say, /v/, actually think good graphics = more screen resolution.
>>
File: bKhDDKy.jpg (28 KB, 320x240)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>8362253
Here I restored some SOVL for you
>>
>>8360932
>Do normies really think more polygons and complex lighting = better graphics? Do they have no concept of the bigger picture of visual aesthetics, art design and color work?
Tendies did the same with the amount of colors
>>
>>8360932
I don't get it. The graphics on the right are better in every sense of the word.
>>
File: zoomergoingzoomies.gif (2.31 MB, 360x270)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB GIF
>>8362320
>>
>>8360932
god damn Spyro is fucking great
>>
>>8361056
Trust me man no one thinks autistics are normal and capable
>>
>>8361392
I haven’t played it so I don’t have a horse in the race but I’m pretty sure the idea that the Spyro remake looks like ass is a popular one. Maybe they’re wrong, but it makes your comment about “the rest of us” look pretty damn pathetic
>>
>>8362060
Absolutely lost it when they colored TJ yellow in the Cowboy Beebop adaptation. It’s not even Mexico, it’s in space! But it’s Mexico adjacent so slap a yellow filter over that shit lmao
>>
>>8360932
No they don't
>>
>>8360932
Never played either version of this game and have no strong opinions on Spyro in the first place, but yeah, I can agree with some anons in the thread that the right side evaluated on its own looks decent enough.

I think the problem is that compared to the left, they just really obviously changed the overall aesthetics/mood of every location except maybe the second. Maybe the first too on a good day. Like complete color/lighting changes, and detail added where they weren't even attempting to imply that much detail in the first place.

I think the last pair of images is the worst for this. Soft pink glowy aesthetic just becoming any generic ice level. Now I can't tell if the original was actually meant to have snow or not because like I said, never played this game, but I think they went kind of overboard with it in the remake.

Now if we're really being charitable, maybe some of the developers originally envisioned something more like the right but just couldn't do it back in the '90s, but that feels like a huge stretch and most likely they overhauled everything in the newer one just for the fuck of it.
>>
File: 1523388026632.jpg (2.4 MB, 2668x2585)
2.4 MB
2.4 MB JPG
>>8360932
>>8360935
The Spyro devs had soul down to a science
>>
File: 1637359425827.png (274 KB, 640x621)
274 KB
274 KB PNG
>>8361027
Mega Man 9 was kind of gay and reddit for forcing the "8-bit" aesthetic at the expense of gameplay. Definitely not a bad game (10 was moderately better, though), but it inspired many a mediocre indie to do even worse. 11 was a much better game, not because of its graphics (which aren't even good), but because they didn't design the game around getting upvotes like Inafaggot's 9 and 10 did.
>>
>>8362560
Geez, they're really living in your head, aren't they?
>>
>>8361056
elon musk doesn't even has aspergers
>>
>>8362084
Doesn't look as egregious as a few other examples, honestly
>>
>>8362084
The original Myst screens are just OK, honestly, and the new ones don't look bad. Generic, sure, but certainly not some horrific thing like the GTA remasters.
>>
Somewhat weird question, but if I was only going to play one Spyro game, should it be the first one?
>>
>>8362941
I loved three the most and still wander around in it from time to time, but I haven't played 1 or 2 in over a decade.
>>
those snow mountains in last one look like generic asset flipped mountain preset they flipped from unity store
soulless
>>
>>8360932
i think that 3d games in general look pretty shit compared to 2d games, but frankly later gen 3d ones look better than most early 3d ones except for maybe majora's mask. in your pic the only thing that looks bad is the backgrounds, the actual models are fine. also this >>8362085 lol.
>>
Right side looks better, and I normally would be one of you soul fags saying the left is better, but my eyes aren't blind.
>>
>>8362242
This one says everything there is to say about the soulless remakes.
>>
>>8362346
I'm sorry you even had to watch that shit to begin with. I saw the trailer and a clip because they were posted on 4chan and it really gave me murderous intents.
>>
>>8362306
Uhhh, Nintendo/Sony? Hire this man!
>>
>>8362598
No, he's right. If you find any game that has ties with reddit, through "ask me anything" sessions notably, or with their dev managed subreddit, you can guarantee the game went to shit. I've seen a couple take this road and the games basically died on release because they had been made so uninteresting.
Think focus groups for movies.
Reddit is design by focus group.
>>
>>8362560
When MM9 came out, reddit wasn't a big thing and making a new game "NES style" was a really big gamble.

> forcing the "8-bit" aesthetic at the expense of gameplay.

It's the contrary. MM7 and 8 plays worse than the NES ones and the graphical style plays a huge role in that. In 7 the "better graphics" sacrifice gameplay with a smaller FOV and in 8 gameplay is less tight and responsive because animations have a lot of frames.

MM11 almost did the same mistake, when the first gameplay clips of the game were shown, MM's animations had a lot more frames and it looked like it played like shit for that reason. Fans complained and they fixed it, the only reason MM11 plays so well is exactly because people told to fix it more like the NES games

In other words you have no idea what you're talking about and just spout buzzwords like "reddit" in hope it validates your opinion
>>
>>8363413
>In 7 the "better graphics" sacrifice gameplay with a smaller FOV
It's not the fault of graphics, it's just a shit design choice. See MMX, it doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>8361056
>Unemployed autist
Get a job loser, stop blaming your "disability".
>>
>>8362560
>>8363423
Don't hog all the chromosomes
>>
File: icypeaks.png (440 KB, 960x364)
440 KB
440 KB PNG
>>
>>8363718
It's not so much the colors, it's like a completely different artstyle, the shapes are also different. Who says a cliff can't be smooth? Why does it have to be an assembly of boulders? Not to mention it doesn't convey how you can interact with them, in OG spyro it looks pretty clear that it's a wall you can't climb it, but the new one can tempt you to hump/jump them to jump across the ice blocking the path.
Speaking of ice, remake has some kind of ice floor whereas in the original it's clearly a frozen lake. The building is also redesigned. Why?
>>
>>8363745
>but the new one can tempt you to hump/jump them to jump across the ice blocking the path.

Good point. Detailing, when used wrongly, can lead to unclear gameplay. Semi related but also when there is too much details, modern FPS games tire me because there is so much unrelevant details on the screen I have to focus really hard to keep my mind on the gameplay; besides there is so much stuff in there the eye/mind just ignores a lot of it unless you stop to actually look at the details on purpose

in that pic even the wall on the left and how smoothed out it is in the remake, especially at the bottom, makes it hard to grasp where the floor ends, because it just fades in with the floor
>>
File: nstvsog.jpg (115 KB, 1280x720)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>8360932
The Spyro remake was done about as well as something like this could be done imo, and at least it was more artful than the Crash remake trilogy, which was just a smoothbrain "more realistic, more polygons, more bloom lighting" take with no art design or thought in it.
>>
>>8360932
I absolutely adore the art direction and technical aspects of the original Spyro games, I think Spyro 1 especially is absolutely incredible when it comes to art direction. I will say that overall SRT does a pretty good job all things considered. Most of the levels look good (I especially like the Beast Makers ones as well as Wizard Peak and High Caves (but without that terrible color correction)) while some look eh (Haunted Towers was butchered, and most of the levels in Spyro 2 and 3 are just awful).

What I find unforgivable though with SRT is the handling of Spyro himself, which is dogshit mostly because of the super floaty physics and very imprecise collision. I am also not a fan of the sound design at all, in fact the only sound I legit like from SRT is the dogs' death sound from Dark Passage that's hilarious. The OG sounds present in the game (dragon shaking, portal sound) are so much better it's not even funny.
>>
>>8362084
for lack of a better explanation, the original has a defined "style" where as the remake does not. this is the case with many early 3d games and even films.
>>
>>8360932
people are stupid and have no taste
>>
>>8363848
I hate how they cant get crashes model right in new games
or his personality
>>
>>8363413
>8 gameplay is less tight and responsive
The fuck are you talking about? The game isn't more forgiving because there's more animations, you still have to time them right.
>>
>>8360932
This.
>>
File: remake_OOT_bridge.jpg (139 KB, 1560x504)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>
>>8367397
both look good
>>
>>8361053
/thread
>>
>Another thread crying about "MUH SOVL"
Do you niggers ever tire of having the same bitching parties?
>>
>>8367397
thanks, I hate it.
>>
>>8362223
so?
>>
Yes.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.