[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Was this basically Donkey Kong Country but with a third dimension?
>>
>>8360689
What is with the trend of asking stupidly vague questions?

No. It's Commander Keen but without the shooting.
>>
>>8360695
What about gameplay and style being extremely similar? Like replace barrels with boxes and bananas with wumpa fruits.
>>
>>8360701
Commander keen collects food too.

Dk and crash are both pure platformers as opposed to action platformers. They have a lot of pick ups and feature bonus stages. I really dont know where you are going with this.
>>
>>8360689
Kinda.
>>
>>8360689
3D? Youre always walking in a straight line, its just 2D from a different perspective.
>>
File: J O I N U S.png (577 KB, 640x511)
577 KB
577 KB PNG
>>8360689
>>
Oddworld Abe's Oddyssey was the DKC of PS1
>>
>>8360701
Wait, those weren't apples?
>>
>>8360959
By this logic Mario is a 1D game because you're mostly just going left/right
>>
>>8360961
trips on image url
We must hereby stfu
>>
the game was a forced meme, very average
>>
>>8360991
this game was pretty cutting edge graphically
it shipped systems like crazy, for a new competitor in the console arena. its a huge part of what put sony up on the board early.
later merchandising aside, theres a reason people at the time were impressed, similar to DKC like op said. graphically it was doing things that by all rights the hardware seemingly wasnt capable of
>>
>>8361113
>>8360991
it pioneered a technique still heavily used by developers today, the game is not as large as the iso actually is, it actually has repeat files on the disc to speed up recovering the data as needed, and in addition to that the game actively scrubs out areas behind you and renders what is in front of you on the fly in order to maintain framerate and achieve big roboust environments

it's a funny story you can google, when naughty dog was telling sony about it sony was anxious about the near constant reading of the disc that it might burn out PS1 disc reading lenses quickly
>>
**instead of big environments i should have said detailed, it makes more sense that way
>>
>>8360991
The gameplay isn't as good as DKC, but calling it "average" is completely retarded. Crash Bandicoot was one of the first 3D games that millions of people played, and they did a great job for the era. It's still a fun game today.
>>
>>8361116
> in addition to that the game actively scrubs out areas behind you and renders what is in front of you on the fly in order to maintain framerate and achieve big roboust environments

What you're describing is the 3D equivalent of scrolling and Crash was many years late of inventing that. Stop believing everything you hear on youtube.
>>
>>8361160
>What you're describing is the 3D equivalent of scrolling
wat
hes actually describing something very specific, youre just too retarded
>Stop believing everything you hear on youtube.
the making of the first crash game has been relatively well-documented, especially for a game of that era. you dont need to go watch a dumb youtube video about it in order to read pages upon pages of firsthand accounts of the development process
>>
>>8361153
i also feel mark mothersbaughs devo-esque OST was a huge part of its massive appeal. the CD audio sounded great, and the OST fit the games setting perfectly
it was one of the first games to really take advantage of the PS and all of its new hardware
>>
>>8361153
>The gameplay isn't as good as DKC
I find it better overall.
>>
>>8361160
kek, so which game was the first wiseguy
>>
>>8361153
>DKC
>good gameplay
I like the game, but the gameplay is serviceable at best
>>
>>8361351
>bro i like this shitty game
>>
Not at all and I dont understand where this meme came from recently. Is it because it's set in the jungle?
>>
>>8361445
It was something said by a youtuber named NitroRad, so now I guess it's caught on.
>>
Crash is a Hugo inspired game.
>>
Wasn't the team going specifically towards a "Sonic game with a camera from behind"
It would make sense since the spinning would be a replacement for the spindash Sonic has.
I found that they called it "Sonic ass"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crash_Bandicoot_(video_game)
>>
>>8361552
based.
>>
>>8361571
Didn't they copy this concept from one of the Mickey mouse games for Genesis?
>>
>>8361589
its an indiana jones trope
>>
>>8361725
yeah, but Hugo was the first to apply it to gameplay.
>>8361589
Mickey mania came later.
>>
>>8360689
>was this basically a platformer from a different perspective
yes
>>
>>8360991
CB2 is still one of the best games of the 5th gen. cs&d
>>
>>8360689
You can see Crash taking inspiration from previous "mascot with attitude" platformers like DKC and Sonic. More in tone than in actual gameplay.
>>
>>8361571
I'm so glad Crash stole this game and made it good, good for Hugo fans to have gotten a better rendition.
>>
>>8361571
whats the best Hugoformer?
>>
>>8361810
Not that anon but i would agree with you if the game wasn't so much easier than the first. CB1 was a real challenge to complete at 100%.
>>
Anyone here ever try to speedrun Crash 2? Neutral slide spins are fun.
>>
>>8361113
>>8361116
>>8361153
just post the damn video already, it is that good
>>
>>8361160
>Stop believing everything you hear on youtube.
holy zoom
>>
>>8362246
what video, i literally said i read about it
>>
>>8360689
Donkey Kong Country but good
>>
>>8360689
No, dkc is better than every game mentioned in this thread so far.
>>
>>8362862
This.

>>8362869
Dkc sucks. Not even better than mario
>>
>>8360689

Nah, different mechanics to health and acrobatics and shit. Movement was a totally different beast.

I think of crash as being basically one of, if not the most, pure platformers ever made. The first one, that is, not so much the sequels; but the first one just strips away basically all elements beyond "Traverse this set of obstacles. You may jump and you may use a risky close range attack. That's it."

There's no fancy double jumps or any of that stuff, no real shennanigans to Crash's movement, even the air control and physics are super solid and precise. The entire gameplay is held up by purely by the timing, planning and accuracy of your jumps, and figuring out how to solve puzzles (box layouts and bonus rounds) using jumps. That's essentially the whole game.
>>
>>8362872
DKC is on par with 2 and 3 maybe. DKC is a better game than SMW though and miles better than Yoshi's Island.
>>
>>8361571
>Hugo 4 Release Date: 30/10/1996
>Crash Bandicoot Release Date: 09/09/1996
Hmmm.
>>
>>8361272
can't agree with this, the soundtrack is unmemorable trash and not really by mothersbaugh. if it'd had sonic-level music crash would be universally considered pantheon-level today instead of borderline like it is.
>>
>>8361260
>hes actually describing something very specific, youre just too retarded

Not really, it's exactly the same thing in every 3D driving game. Or just about most 3D games. In laymans term what's behind the player is being deleted to make place for new things to render in the front, which is exactly also what scrolling in 2D games is about so even as far as 3D games are concerned it wasn't a new idea, just a different execution

Believing that Crash Bandicoot is "special" for doing this is failing to grasp the most simple concepts of how video games are made, because the arstechnica interview on YT wants gullible people to believe it so they do. Same thing when they make a big deal out of using their own comprehesion method to save space... big fucking deal, each dev having their own compression methods and using it to save space had been the norm pretty much since 1992.
>>
>>8361116
Crash bandicoot didn't invent culling, but it definitely was groundbreaking in terms of utilizing the PS1's full power.
>>8362246
This video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izxXGuVL21o
>>
>>8361571
What the fuck? Is crash a euro jank inspired game?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.