[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1637827736969.jpg (309 KB, 1074x775)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
Why do people say the Xbox is the Dreamcast 2?
>>
The Xbox is the Dreamcast 2.
>>
People forget about most of the Xbox's library because of Halo, but it had quite a few weird niche titles, similiar to the Dreamcast. Jet Set Radio Future, Otogi 1+2, Stranger's Wrath, Gunvalkyrie, Crimson Skies, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Fable, Fusion Frenzy, Metal Wolf Chaos, etc all give off Dreamcast vibes.
Not to mention that the Xbox carried the online console gaming torch from the Dreamcast.
>>
>>8360646
The Dreamcast ran on a Windows OS, and apparently the experience behind helping SEGA make the Dreamcast was the basis behind the Xbox, including the button layout.
>>
>>8360646
Not going to spoon feed beyond saying that's basically what it was originally going to be. Backwards compatible as well.

>>8360657
DC didn't run "on a Windows OS". It could run Windows CE but most games didn't use it because it was shit.
>>
File: Panzer-Dragoon-Orta-JP.jpg (224 KB, 800x1044)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
>Similar controller layout
>Slot at the top of the controller for inserting portable memory cards. Sort of VMU-ish in a way.
>Strong focus on Xbox Live from Microsoft, just like how Sega was proud of the Dreamcast's built-in 56k modem
>Microsoft and Sega originally wanted the Xbox to be able to play Dreamcast games, but this fell through.
>Continuation of Tecmo and Team Ninja games. Dead or Alive 3 and Ultimate have a very clean Sega-like visual style thanks to their Naomi origins. Ninja Gaiden reboot started development on Dreamcast.
>Lots of very Dreamcast-feeling western games like Indigo Prophecy, Fable (which started development on the Dreamcast), MechAssault, Psychonauts, Oddworld games, Voodoo Vince etc. Plus a lot of very mediocre sports and racing exclusives with a real early 2000s arcade aesthetic.

And most importantly:
>A lot of Sega games which started development on the Dreamcast ended up coming exclusively to the Xbox. Crazy Taxi 3, Jet Set Radio Future, ToeJam & Earl III, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Shenmue II, Gunvalkyrie etc. Otogi wasn't meant for the Dreamcast as far as I know but that game rocks too.

If the Xbox didn't have Halo and good ports of PC games, /v/ would be jerking off over it's failure and the great Japanese hidden gems that made up its library.

A lot the original Xbox's big hitters like Kotor, Halo, and Morrowind are readily available on PC where they'll give you a far better experience than on console. But for any Sega or Team Ninja/Tecmo fan, the original Xbox has a lot to check out and enjoy. Some of the Japanese Microsoft Game Studios stuff is worth a look too, like Blinx or Phantom Dust. I'm not saying it's a gold mine of hidden gems, because a lot of it is just "alright" but that's true of the Dreamcast deep cuts too. I love the Xbox and the Dreamcast.
>>
File: s-435.jpg (190 KB, 1200x1600)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
Please enjoy this compilation of Japanese Xbox commercials I put together last week:

https://youtu.be/jBb1LI2_rZU
>>
>>8360657
>The Dreamcast ran on a Windows OS
Not exactly, it supported windows CE, but most of its games didn't use it.
>>
>>8360672
>Continuation of Tecmo and Team Ninja games. Dead or Alive 3 and Ultimate have a very clean Sega-like visual style thanks to their Naomi origins. Ninja Gaiden reboot started development on Dreamcast.
To add to this, Itagaki fucking hated the PS2's hardware after porting DoA 2 to it, and refused to work on it ever again.
>>
>>8360646
Xbox controller was basically an evolution of the dreamcast controller.
>>
Wonder what happened to all the old Sega devs. You just don't see games being made with the feel of old Sega games.
>>
Because it is
>>
>>8360646
I mean Moore went to work for Microsoft right after he left Sega and ran the console division there, so he would probably know.
>>
>>8360735
>ot exactly, it supported windows CE, but most of its games didn't use it.

there were about 60 - 70 games total that used Windows CE. Developers found it most useful for porting PC games to the Dreamcast in short development times. Almost all of these games on the DC were ported from their PC versions using Windows CE: RE2, RE3, Railroad Tycoon II, Tomb Raider Chronicles, Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, Worms Armageddon, The Next Tetris, Nightmare Creatures II, Sega Rally 2 and Virtua Cop 2. The downside was that the performance wasn't as good.
>>
>>8360767
Died, retired or moved on to other companies. It's sad to say but Sega has focused on original titles for Japan only with mobile phone titles etc ever since they went out of the console race. The only thing Sega has cared about when it comes to here is just re-releasing their arcade hits, Sonic and Yakuza that is kind of it. Maybe when they stop being petty and get over their PTSD we can start seeing the same soul they use to have.
>>
Why did they opt to put so much shit on the Xbox, as opposed to GC or PS2? Seems like a strangely arbitrary decision. Those games can't have sold well to the Halo market.
>>
>>8360829
Most likely Microsoft paid a ton of money for it.
>>
>>8360829
just another bad business decision in a long history of bad decisions
>>
>>8360829
Probably still too assmad at their former Japanese competitors after being beaten out of the console race. Japs are all about. Less awkward to do business with the Americans you've already established a great relationship with.
>>
>>8360646
MS worked with sega developing the Dreamcast, mainly to take notes in preparation for their own release. Xbox released at basically the same time that DC died, and many would-be DC games got moved over to Xbox. The original xbox controller also takes a lot of inspiration from the DC controller.
>>
>>8360646
Because most of the sega and tecmo games such as gun valkyrie and ninja gaiden started out as dreamcast dev projects.
>>
Xbox is more of a pseudo-Dreamcast, sure it got a lot of PC games like the DC did but it's also missing all those fun arcade titles DC had.
>>
Nobody has mentioned Metropolis Street Racer -> Project Gotham Racing.
>>
>>8361517
>it's also missing all those fun arcade titles DC had.
Crazy Taxi 3
House of the Dead 3
Virtua Cop 3 (not officially released, but playable on a modded console with extra RAM)
Panzer Dragoon Orta (I know it's not an actual arcade game, but rail shooters are pretty much arcade games)
Metal Slug 3
Psyvariar
Castle of Shikigami 1&2
Various fighting games (DOA1, DOA2, DOA3, CvS2, SvC Chaos, MvC2, various KOF games, Hyper SF2, SF3 Third Strike, Soul Calibur 2, Bloody Roar Extreme, Kakuto Chojin, etc)
>>
>>8360672
it would have been so cool if it could run dreamcast games, but im sure they were worried about piracy
>>
>>8361061
>Because most of the sega and tecmo games such as gun valkyrie and ninja gaiden started out as dreamcast dev projects.

Panzer Dragoon Orta started as Dreamcast game, but was pushed over to Xbox. Super Monkey Ball was also going to be a Dreamcast game, but was moved to the Cube. Toe Jam and Earl 3 has a beta for the Dreamcast, and was going to be released on that console. but moved to the Xbox. I am only listing a few titles. But yeah, a lot of Dreamcast games were moved to either the Xbox, Cube or PS2.
>>
>>8360646
>tfw no dreamcast controller with 2 sticks that can be used on pc
>>
>>8360675
best doa
>>
>>8361840
It's called the Xbone controller
>>
>>8361846
og xbox duke is kino, but I want the same design from the dreamcast, is such a beautiful design.
>>
File: file.png (248 KB, 1512x1948)
248 KB
248 KB PNG
>>8360646
No idea, I think it's some weird attempt to say the Xbox is better or something. The only ones who got the short end of the sega stick at the time were Nintendo.
>>
>>8361856
But the function is shit. Dreamcast has an infamously terrible d-pad
>>
>>8361879
>sports games
>pachinko
>sega ages
Holy snoy cope
>>
"The PlayStation is the true successor to the SNES"
Tendie cope.

"The Xbox/Xbox 360 is the Dreamcast 2"
Coping Sega bros.
>>
>>8361879
>literally half of the PS2 list is Sega Ages ports, Pachinko, and sports
lol
>>
>>8361897
>>8361887
>hating sega ages
this is why the Xbox wasn't the DreamCast 2.
>>
>>8361880
>Dreamcast has an infamously terrible d-pad

I never found it to be bad. The d-pad was precise and worked well. The problem I had with it, was after long term play the ridges on the pad would just tear up my thumb. Maybe if they used a lower profile cross piece, it would have worked better.
>>
>>8361997
yeah it's uncomfortable but precise. I never liked using it for long.
>>
>>8362002
>yeah it's uncomfortable but precise. I never liked using it for long.

If they could only have smoothed out the edges. But again, I never had any issues with missed inputs or the pad not recognising the proper direction, or even diagonals. It works well for fighting games. But uncomfortable after a couple hours of play. One of the worst d-pads for me, was from the Gravis GamePad Pro for the PC, which used a circular type disc, and would never register correctly half the time. resulting in non working up or/ left right.
>>
>>8362013
just gimme the saturn disclet back and it's all good.
>>
>>8361902
Most Sega Ages games are shovelware.
>>
File: segams-min.png (1.5 MB, 8016x848)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB PNG
ABC

XYZ
ABC

L/R
XY
AB
>>
Since a lot of Dreamcast fans are in here, does anyone have all the Dreamcast beats of rage games? Trying to get them all, or at least the big name stuff but all I get are endless dead links when I google
>>
>>8360657
Xbox was to Dreamcast what PS1 was to Nintendo Playstation
>>
>>8361879
I didn't know there was a headhunter 2
>>
>>8360646
Because Sega was making original exclusive games for it.
>>
>>8362608
Forgetting the superior:
L/R
XYZ
ABC
>>
>>8362701
Why not just play them on PC? Or are their some that only have DC versions with no PC version (hard to believe)?
>>
https://youtu.be/lWGiHgTdLBc?t=658
>>
>>8360675
I bought Murakumo because of one of these collections. Hope it’s not shit!
>>
>>8362870
It is. Easily Fromsoft's worst game on Xbox. Otogi and Metal Wolf were better.
>>
>>8362919
Haha cool
>>
File: What may have been..png (403 KB, 774x409)
403 KB
403 KB PNG
>>8362754
Hah yeah...
>>
>>8362758
Prefer to play them on my crt and the easiest way to do that is via Dreamcast. If I could just fine the modules or whatever I'm pretty sure I can compile them myself for DC

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.