[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>develop a Death Race comic style vehicle combat game with silly cars and bonus items
>make car handling as heavy and realistic as possible
Dat's vintage PC gaming
>>
>>8360545
It's a great game
>>
I sank hundreds and hundreds of hours into this game as a kid.

After playing the remake I got back to it and still loved it, but it's funny how the levels felt a lot bigger to me as a kid than they actually are.
>>
>>8360545
This game showed me how consoles were holding me back.
Simply awesome.
>>
>>8360631
I probably sank hundreds of hours into the demo alone, before I even got the full game
>>
>>8361467
I also had a demo of the add-on, Splat Pack

I was disappointed when I finally played the full version of that with the GOG version a few years ago. Half the levels are shit.
>>
>>8360545
I was national champion of this game in 1998. Won a Voodoo GPU. Probably a Voodoo 2 wth the passthrough cable.

Secret to playing this is to always kill the other cars, never try to race. You win when they're all dead.

#2 is great, too, except for the "Boss" levels.
>>
>>8360545
>>make car handling as heavy and realistic as possible
Kek, never played either Carma and racing simulators, have you?
>>
>>8361503
K
>>
>>8361503
Was that a multiplayer tournament?
>>
>>8361608
No, singleplayer. And my Mom gave me the prize.
>>
>>8361608
Yeah, in NYC at a big conference. And yes it was multiplayer. Most people just play it straight forward but the best way to kill fools is to back up into them and drive them into a wall or something. There were probably 16 people total in the tournament, but the prizes were rad as fuck as the time. esports was basically not a thing in 1998, though there were a few early attempts like this one.

I also ended up champion of Jazz Jackrabbit 2, but only because no one else entered that game tournament... I got 2nd in Unreal Tournament against some guy named Ross Wigder, who was really, really good.

>>8361669
Yes correct, your mom gave me a prize.
>>
File: orange_piledriver.webm (2.7 MB, 1280x960)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB WEBM
>>
>>8361716
>360° and drive away
>>
I WAS IN THE WAR
>>
>>8361694
what did you win for jazz jackrabbit 2 and unreal tournament? any prizes?
>>
>>8361768
I won a mega pack of Sunny D and a Geoff Knightley mousepad. But for the time it was rad.
>>
>>8361716
that police car thing looks so cool
>>
>>8361770
pretty decent, I "won" a very decent board when i entered a skateboarding competition that nobody else did when I was a kid
I never heard of any video game competitions in my country back then
>>
>>8361768
>>8361770
LOL, Geoff Knightley, wonder what that guy is up to now...

Actually, as I said, I got a Voodoo 2 graphics card for Carmageddon, and for UT and Jazz I got a ton of games, probably about $500 worth of brand new computer games, some speakers, I think I got a couple shirts too. I still have the little certificates. I was only 19 at the time, so this was a huge deal for me. I soon after got a job in the industry.

One of the other prizes, which I think went to that Ross guy, was a full computer setup WITH that sound chair thing. It was, like, a folding swivel chair with speakers all over it. That went to the winner of the overall tournament, and the way it was weighted, the more people you beat to win your game, the more that win counted. So, when he won at UT and Quake, both against a field of 32 people in various rounds of 4 players playing open deathmatch, he won the whole thing, whereas I just won one 16 player tournament, and a couple 0 and 2 or 3 player tournaments.

Everything in the tournament was donated by the game and accessory companies at the conference. So there was a ton of great stuff, but it was also at a point where, aside from the big grand prize, my second place in the overall basically meant I got 1 of everything they had to offer. I think I even took some shareware keys because I had maxed the whole damn thing out.

It was such a weird thing, overall, and so changed my life, simply because it was my first real computer conference, my first real experience interacting with other "gamers," and one of my first experiences in life where I succeeded at something.

Additionally, the entire tournament was run by the goth crew I knew from my failed year of college in Boston. The ONLY people in the whole giant college I actually got to know and maybe call friends, and here they were a few years later in NYC running this conference.

Was just radical ninja, overall.
>>
>>8361797
good post, that sounds really cool
>>
File: ITM2k69Z_400x400.jpg (31 KB, 400x400)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>8361797
sovlful af
>>
File: Alone_in_Carmageddon.webm (2.69 MB, 1280x720)
2.69 MB
2.69 MB WEBM
>>
>>8362106
Based
>>
>>8361716

Poor George Costanza. Back in the day I use to play this on my XP machine, but I had an executable that used a direct 3D renderer (it may have been an ADM executable?) and I would get accelerated graphics with filtering and a faster framerate. I could never find that version. I original found it on kazaa.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (29 KB, 480x360)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTwBieH6KF4
>>
>>8361797
>Writes a short novel as his reply full of personal experiences, interesting trivia, and insight
***** post, just as the devs intended.
>>
File: Towmeister.jpg (38 KB, 622x265)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
Best vehicle
>>
>>8362773
Getting this early was game breaking
>>
>>8362773
Based. In retrospect I kinda hate how you always earn the same cars though.
>>
>>8362106
When I saw the front of the car I instantly recognized it.
>>
I never played the original, only the sequel. Wat did I miss out on?
>>
File: pelit.png (1.44 MB, 814x1065)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB PNG
>>8361797
Jesus Christ, just plug my consciousness to 1990s Matrix already. Those game competitions just oozed soul, pic rel was about 1995 Finnish national championships of computer gaming with top prizes being an IBM multimedia computer or a trip to London to Virgin offices. Not as fancy as what you're describing but probably was a huge deal for participants anyway.
>>8362106
kek, this is gold
>>
>>8363271
The game wasn't really meant to be played As The Developers Intendedâ„¢ that much though. After the completion, it just unlocked cheat mode and let you have all the fun in the world.
>>
>>8363419
What games did they play? I can't understand all this crazy moon language.
>>
So, hu, what are they doing now, at sci?
>>
>>8364451
Bought Eidos then were bought by Square Enix.
If you meant the developers, Stainless Games, they're working on an................... NFT game.
>>
>>8361694
>Yes correct, your mom gave me a prize.

So it was you, piece of shit! Mother still drinks herself to sleep because you never called back. She never forgot you, and neither will I! You're dead as soon as I find you!
>>
>>8360545
amazing game, fear factory soundtrack was amazing too
>>
>>8364451
They rereleased this and the others on Steam, then they went and did the contract gaming thing. And yeah, NFT shit.
>>
>>8363387
Cool cockpit views and prat cams, but less of a sandbox because the powerups are limited, peds are 2D sprites that can't be toyed with, and the levels have less to do in them.
Absolutely still worth playing though.
>>
>>8364572
As with many CDROM games you could listen to the Fear Factory soundtrack on a normal CD stereo system.
>>
>>8360545
Quarantine was more fun
>>
>>8361503
>Secret to playing this is to always kill the other cars, never try to race. You win when they're all dead.
no fucking shit
>>
>>8364526
>>8365131
https://www.stainlessgames.com/news/colony-online-mmo-signs-development-deal-stainless-games

well this is fucking depressing

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.