[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why do non-rare games that have sold millions and millions of copies go for so much money now? You used to find stuff like this for a couple dollars at garage sales and used game stores.
>>
Supply and demand.
>>
Hint: It's easier to randomly find a 10 year old game at a garage sale than a 25 year old one.
>>
>>8358893
Because sellers are greedy and delusional and buyers are retarded.
>>
Money laundering, you fucking retard.
>>
If you're convinced you can find such a common game in a random ass goodwill, go out and find it. You probably won't though. Nobody wants to give theirs away for nothing.
>>
Because demand is higher than supply.
>>
>>8359174
How are they delusional if they're right?
>>
>>8358893
This game never dipped below like $30 even at the cheapest. Demand is just that high.

Even the Xbox 360 konami collection that has this game on it goes for a bunch
>>
>>8358893
>have sold millions
yes and people are hoarding multiple upon multiple of copies and driving up the markets so they can try and cash in later.
>>
>>8358893
Because thanks you retards onn youtube, everyone thinks they need to XYZ in their collections that made everyone think these things are made out of pure gold. You ever actually watch any of the really expensive games on ebay? They just sit. Nobody buys them. It's just scalpers selling to other scalpers.
>>
>>8359205
It's just video games, calm the hell down.
>>
>>8359229
There are tons of sellers who think they have a jackpot. They list their items for absurd ripoff prices that never sell and are forced to lower substantially.
>>
>>8359296
I bought if for $14.99 new at Blockbuster in 2004.
>>
>>8358893
Yeah, I don't get it either. Literally millions of copies of many games were made yet they're very expensive. Where are all the copies?
>>
>>8359693
Don't mean it ain't money laundering, nigger
>>
>>8359414
This is true but it's not what's driving the price

>>8360078
There aren't nearly as many sellers who do that as you pretend. And millions of games have sold for "absurd ripoff prices"
>>
>>8360087
Kek so did I
>>
>>8360149
>Literally millions
>Where are all the copies
There are more than a few million people in the world
>>
>>8358893
That's a black label, which is what collector's go for.
You can get a greatest hits version for less than half that
>>
>>8360262
I really think drive-by collectors contributed to a lot of it, at least early on. People who weren't like the hardcore collectors who'd scoop up as much shit as they could for good prices, thereby limiting how much they were willing to spend per item, but rather people who only want to buy maybe a couple games a month to scratch whatever nostalgia or bandwagon itch they have, meaning dropping a hundred on some common game isn't a big deal because they aren't in it for the long haul. Arcade PCBs seem to have fallen victim to this, as retro arcade take off and it seems like superguns become more and more accessible. I used to buy tons of arcade games and MVS carts because they were, for the most part, relatively cheap. Now it seems like many of them, even common shit like Simpsons and TMNT, are meaningful purchases running several hundred dollars, probably because modern buyers are just buying a few of their favorite games as opposed to hoarding pretty much anything that they have some memory of playing or that seemed even somewhat interesting (like I did).
>>
>>8360463
That's my take. I'm one of those who bought tons of stuff, ridiculous number of dupes even, very early. Prices didn't move much because no one was willing to pay stupid money so no one was selling. It wasn't until tards jumped on the bandwagon that prices went crazy.
On one hand I like that my collection is worth hundreds of times what I paid for it. On the other hand it sucks that it's so difficult to get into the hobby. If it were easier maybe this board wouldn't be full of angry zoomies coping about emulators.
For the most part arcade PBC prices aren't too bad. Sure, they're not a few bucks like they once were but considering you basically get a complete system with most they're actually a pretty good deal. The problem with hoarding them is the size. I have a bunch and they really do take up a lot of space. A shoebox of handheld is worth massively more by size.
>>
I always laugh when a classic game gets a steam port and the prices tank and scalpers get fucked
>>
File: game collection.jpg (152 KB, 1896x931)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
oh, i can contribute to this thread, went though the process of trying to add as much of my old games to a new program to get a rough estimate on prices since random shit seems to skyrocket anymore.

this is about 95% of my stuff.
>>
>>8360916
Examples? Why would that have any effect on used game prices?
>>
>>8360950
not them but it does effect values at least on the short term.

take Earthbound for example when the WiiU version came out it caused Earthbound prices to dip to around $130 for a while when it was previously somewhere in the $200s. it has since recovered and shot higher.
>>
>>8360950
because i can play a game for $20 on steam instead of buying a hard copy for $300, retard.
>>
>>8358893
Because the perceived value is inflated due to market manipulation.
>>
File: n61.png (105 KB, 718x765)
105 KB
105 KB PNG
>>8360971
But you could already play the game for free on an emulator/flash cart

Duurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
>>
>>8359148
Sorry grandpa but PSX games are not 10 years old
>>
>>8360262
Greg detects long nose tribe member....very scary....
>>
>>8358893
Demand
>>
>>8359174
I sell my games for high prices because coomlectors are retarded enough to pay hundreds for a GameCube game I bought at a pawn shop for a dollar.
>>
>>8362834
>I bought at a pawn shop for a dollar.
You didn't in 2021 though.
>>
>>8361035
Shit reading comprehension. Read it again.
>>
>>8362837
Your ignorance makes me laugh, faggot.
Not every pawn shop follows eBay pricing for old games, especially the corporate shit holes like Cash America.
>>
>>8362848
Your larp leaves me stone faced. You're not going to impress me even if you were telling the truth.
>>
>>8358893
>literally taking a loss after inflation
lol
>>
>>8360407
there are not millions of people buying these old games
>>
>>8362979
No,however, with just about everyone that isn't in a 3rd world shithole online its far easier for sellers to reach a larger pool of potential buyers, add that to YouTube personalities churning out 5 "Hidden Gem" videos per week and you can see why prices focused video games are skyrocketing.
>>
why do any of you actually expect somebody to sell something they've held onto for 25 years, potentially with a lot of childhood memories, for basically nothing?
>>
>>8363180
The japanese do it
>>
>>8363180
Sentimental value isn’t and shouldn’t be taken into account when pricing mass-manufactured goods.
>>
>>8363924
Yeah, market rates too. Why should I give away my all time favorite game for less than $20 when it goes for $200?
>>
>>8360087
Good on you
>>
>>8360149
>lost
>damaged beyond use
>poor condition from owners who don't give a shit about what they own
>increase in market size of retro games, both from older people who want to replay games they had as a kid and young adults who want to experience the "original" way of playing the game
>also just collectors of certain series who just want a physical copy as their "gem" with no intent to play it
>hoarders retaining multiple copies and hoping to drive prices up further
there's plenty opportunities for classic games that have sold millions to dwindle over 20 or 30 years
>>
>>8364080
People who run used games stores and shit like the game grading company are also actively and intentionally trying to drive prices up. More than just waiting for a price increase, they will try to control a significant portion of the available supply and then refuse to sell below their intended price. They’ll also sometimes drive up prices by buying from themselves or a friend etc. to create that sale history.

Anyway, never buy anything even one penny above the going rate. Not matter what you’re buying, unless it’s Stadium Events or some shit, you will almost always have an opportunity to get the game you want below the standard rate, either from someone undercutting to sell it fast or from an auction. Do your part.
>>
>>8361035
Oh my god
>>
>>8363180
Because I'm a poor entitled zoomer
>>
>>8364097
How do you think people find the "going" or "standard rate"?
>>
>>8359229
The key part is when they're actually right. I can tell you that I would rather spend about $20 on a repro knockoff of AoS than $100 for a used copy of the real deal.
>>8358893
>SoTN for $200.00
Fucking fuck.
>>
>>8362834
>I LARP on 4channel to make anons mad
>>
>>8362979
There also aren't millions of people selling them either, fucktard.
>>
>>8358893
Its not the early 00's anymore.
>>
>>8365049
Check Price Charting, check completed ebay sales, have a good general knowledge of the market
>>
>>8363180
So my shit stained baby clothes should be worth about 1k by now right?
>>
>>8359296
It didn't sell well, and people who own it generally aren't selling it. More people join the hobby, price goes up. It's honestly weird how these stupid autists on this Manchurian Sheep herding forum can't grasp this.

>>8358893
It didn't sell millions. In fact it undersold Konami's expectations, at 700K COMBINED for the US and Japan.

PS - Haha ur poor
>>
>>8367156
If you won’t take less than that and you’re the only person who has them then yes, that is the price it will take to obtain them
>>
>>8367156
Why? They're only a few hours old.
>>
Finite supply and steady demand will do the trick every time. Inflation merely adds an accelerant to the fire.
>>
File: 1636233509351.jpg (42 KB, 640x480)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>8358893
proto-z/0/yboys, aka the hipsters, aka millenials, they infiltrated our community and shit it up, just like sjws do, and no, no memeing, this is what actually happened.
>>
>>8359123
>grifting by hipsters

Corrected Translation
>>
>>8367506

And they do so by introducing this fucking buzzword as a mantra that needed to be indoctrinated in people's minds >>8359123
>>
>>8358893
I bought a copy for $145 yesterday. Its gonna be worth even more in the future, so I wanted to get in now so I can play it cheap.
>>
File: FEe3ScBakAISVV7.jpg (205 KB, 1890x1890)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
>>8367634
This is what kills me the most. I have a decent ps1 collection from my collecting years 2010-2013 with some gems ( klonoa, tron bonne, etc) However recently I got into collecting again to grab the heavy hitters i missed out on (Persona 1 & 2, valkyrie profile, jojo's bizarre) and seeing current prices makes me want to flip my shit. But do I buy them now at 300+ a game, expecting them to double by 2025, or hope for collecting hype to die down and get them for 200.
>>
Wasn't there recently a scandal uncovered where appraisers and resellers were caught colluding to keep market prices jacked up, with several prominent Youtubers suspected (but never definitively proven) to be in on it?
>>
>>8367652
I used to wait as well, but I realized the prices never go down unless there is an unnatural spike in price, but even then prices never go below the highest point it gradually reached. Almost all games, especially rare games will only go up,up,up unfortunately. And COVID doesn't count as an unnatural spike either imo.
>>
>>8359174
3PBP

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.