[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 47 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Castlevania_SOTN_PAL.jpg (144 KB, 312x319)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
Why did they make it so easy?
Shield rod + iron shield special attack deletes everything, and it's something you can get like 1/3rd of the way through the game.
Even if you don't use special attacks like that, just playing normally you are basically invincible after like 20 minutes.
>>
>>8354464
>cheesing games
>complaining about how easy they are
Why do people do this?
>>
>>8354464
Did you even read his post?

>Even if you don't use special attacks like that, just playing normally you are basically invincible after like 20 minutes.

This. Once you get past the Alucard clone you are never going to be challenged again except for that one secret boss. If you do any exploring at all you will find something to break the game. Even if you don't it's still not going to put up a fight.
>>
https://github.com/Lakifume/SotnKindAndFair
>>
>>8354498
Lack of self control
>>
>>8354464
Straight from the horse's mouth:
http://shmuplations.com/symphony/
>—The Castlevania series is known as a 2D action game that sets the bar high with a very high difficulty. I think with the emphasis of RPG elements in Symphony, more players than ever have been allowed to enjoy the series. How has the response from fans been in that regard?

>Igarashi: The one thing we heard the most was “it’s too easy.” We expected to hear that though. There were also some people who said it was too difficult, and it brought home to me the difficulty of making something for “everyone.”

>Symphony of the Night has also gained a lot of support from female users, definitely because of the difficulty setting, but perhaps also because of the visual style.

>So in addition to allowing people who couldn’t beat previous Castlevanias to play, we’ve also successfully broken through to a whole new class of players, and I’m very happy that we’ve overturned the “hard game” image of Castlevania.

>Furukawa: Many people also said “I don’t know anything about Castlevania and this was fun!” I have mixed feelings about that.
>>
>>8354464
The best and worst thing about Symphony of the Night is that it's a potpourri of whatever the devs could possibly squeeze in. As a result it's a total clusterfuck in terms of balance.
>>
>>8354667
But it's oh so fun to explore the castle and fuck around.
If I want a hard Vania, I play Chronicles, also a fantastic game. It's funny that the PS1 has the two extremes of Castlevania, and both are excellent.
>>
>>8354667
>The best and worst thing about Symphony of the Night is that it's a potpourri of whatever the devs could possibly squeeze in.

I get the feeling that the developers were having fun with how much more space they had with a CD-based game.
>>
>>8354464
level system is a mistake in Willyvanias
>>
>>8354464
>Even if you don't use special attacks like that, just playing normally you are basically invincible after like 20 minutes.
Which is not true at all. You don't have to equip all the best weapons if you want a challenge. If you think you're so tough try keeping a shit sword like red rust equipped or even go bare-handed.
>>
>dude le game is actually really hard if you bend all your fingers backwards and try to play it that way
>>
>>8355075
>why is this so easy this is le bad game design!
>you want to me to just choose not to equip dual-wielding crissaegrims? I think not!
>>
Didn’t we have this exact thread a week ago? I swear, the post was identical too
>>
File: old.jpg (93 KB, 716x663)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>8354464
dracula's castle popped into my head when I saw the thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjKPGDn392M
>>
Maybe it's just me, but I find the OST very unremarkable compared to previous Castlevania games
>>
>>8355180
They went for something different. It’s not bad, but yeah it doesn’t meet the same energy or quality as the previous games or even the proceeding GBA DS games.

The library theme is pretty cool though.
>>
There is no fucking way the vast majority of people knew about shield spells unless they used a guide, which is like saying

>I used a guide. Why did they make it so easy?!
>>
>>8354464
If you are willing to play long enough and explore and do all possible sidequests in the long-run every RPG becomes trivial.
idk what to tell you, not every game needs to challenge you with every fight. Metroidvanias in particular tend to be pretty easy games in my experience.
>>8354513
>except for that one secret boss
If you are talking about Galamoth, I killed him extremely easily, but that was in part because I farmed to get the op crisaegrim.
>>
Money.
Look at the list of best selling NES games. 78 titles that sold one million copies. Not one is a Castlevania title. The games were well loved by hardcore gamers looking for a challenge, but they weren't best sellers. Castlevania 3 sold a total of 850,000 copies across all regions. The original Castlevania only broke 1 million copies with the GBA release. Super Castlevania 4 on SNES? 500,000 copies worldwide. Dracula X and Bloodlines both sold less than 100.000 copies. Symphony of the Night sold 1.27 million copies on the PS1 alone.
The best selling games weren't the hardest games, and Konami must have noticed.
>>
>>8354464
Its an extremely easy game all around. Its strong points are the art, music, exploration, and playing around with all the different items/weapons. If you're looking for an actual challenge you'll need to mod it.
>>
>>8355425
I figured it out naturally by just attempting to block something and then attacked basically at the same time.
Really I only had the Shield Rod equipped because I was amused by the Gradius shields you can shoot with it.
>>
>>8354464
>Shield rod + iron shield special attack deletes everything

It is a bit OP, but I find it cumbersome to use. But yeah, this game is easy.
>>
>>8355087
All you need to do make it easy is to equip the stuff found in the shop and discovered in plain site. And that's if you're doing a no-healing item run. I've never used healing items but I imagine they would make a no equipment run pretty easy.

But there is are three bigger challenges.

1) Even if you limit yourself from enough items to make it hard, you've basically made the whole exploration part of the game a waste. Why bother exploring if this self-imposed challenge means you can't use anything you find?

2) Compared to the linear castlevania games the level design sucks. Monsters are not arranged in clever ways so your encounters with them are well paced and require tight timing. They just sort of sit there waiting in a corridor all lined up. Often the same monster is repeated again and again in that corridor.

3) If you don't have the layout fucking memorized you will probably spend more then half the game backtracking. If you do have it memorized maybe you can cut it down to a quarter. That's still unacceptable and there are simply better things to do with your life then play this game over and over. Maybe once every 3-5 years.
>>
The game has phenomenal graphics and sound. Everything else is a disaster. Minus at most two boss fights the game is fucking easy. What that means is all the treasures you find and abilities you earn are superficial since you don't really need them. And the more you use and find the more it's as if the monsters are not even there, and the less the monsters are threatening the less reason there is to explore or use anything. In the end you just sort of go numb and soak in the sound and visuals as you mindlessly hack your way through the castle all while engaging in what is the worst case of backtracking for a metroidvania at the time of it's release.
>>
>>8355067
>barehanded
Already did that save for Shaft.

Please, don't pretend that SoTN is actually difficult or even all that challenging even with handicaps. People probably wouldn't be going at it with bare fists otherwise.
>>
>>8355067
The whole point of the game is to explore for new loot. If you vow to never use it's actually become an even shittier game since all the exploring and side areas are now just dead ends and has worse platforming/enemy layout then any of the linear vanias, or even the knockoff vanias like rusty.
>>
>>8356979
>If you vow to never use it's actually become an even shittier game
I don't know if I would call it shittier, necessarily, because playing through the game with stabbing knives and this one fist weapon that let's you do uppercuts was kind of fun for me, personally. Kind of makes me wish there was a game like Castlevania revolving around a punching protag.

Outside of that, though, I don't really disagree with you, either, especially the thing about how you end up with a lot of pointless dead ends this way, because yeah, what's the fucking point by then?
>>
>>8355135
God what a bunch of a redditors
>>
>>8357176
It was a different time
>>
>>8355425
I played the game for the first time back in like August and pretty blind (yeah, I knew about the memes and that the inverted castle existed, but in terms of gameplay I knew nothing about the layout of the castle, non-final bosses/enemies, items, etc.). I knew how to do shield spells, like was using them right away, and I don't remember ever hearing about them before playing or being told to use them.

I can only assume I fucked around with the first shield I got, saw that something happened, and tried the same thing with all the other shields I found. There were plenty of items I just didn't find or was legit retarded with and so didn't discover their uses, but shields weren't one of them.
>>
>>8357424
And okay, yeah, I'm forgetting details already, it was shields + shield rod. I guess that combo just felt pretty intuitive.
>>
>>8355067
>If you think you're so tough try keeping a shit sword like red rust equipped
It's funny that you said this because I actually use red rust in my luck runs.
It inflicts curse on Doppleganger
>>
I played this game two years ago and had no idea shield spells existed until now.
>>
>>8354724
>Chronicles

You really hate yourself if you think that dogshit port of X68K is worth the play.
>>
>>8355517
Those werent really small numbers back then, only the games that broke 1M+ were the super masterpieces (some of em expected) like SMW or DKC.
>>
>>8358039
It's an enjoyable game on the Playstation, and I'll never play the original on a literally who console so there's no comparison.
>>
>>8354464
Yup. Biggest flaw of the game. It's horribly unbalanced. The upside down castle should have been much harder where all those OP weapons would be needed to beat it.
>>
>>8356934
So true. I've said this since 1997 and have been crucified for it on game forums since.

It was also a flaw with Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, mostly with Rupees. What's he point of exploring and finding secrets if it's mostly rupees that you are already maxed out on and can't buy anything with?
>>
>>8354464
Content inflation and it was literally the first metroidvania with RPG elements. Of course it's going to have faults.
>>
>>8355060
hard agree
>>
>>8354596
>KindAndFair
>>
>>8356914
>1) Even if you limit yourself from enough items to make it hard, you've basically made the whole exploration part of the game a waste Why bother exploring if this self-imposed challenge means you can't use anything you find?
I'm just saying, don't try to have it both ways. If you want to equip the most overpowered loot in the game, knock yourself out, but don't complain it's too easy when the option to not use them is there. What's the point? Well just collecting them is all part of the fun for some people. You try to find everything (and fill out the entire map) just for its own sake, not much different from racking up pointless trophies and achievements in later generation games. If that's not to your taste, then fair enough, but don't call it an inherent flaw when it's not.

>Monsters are not arranged in clever ways so your encounters with them are well paced and require tight timing. They just sort of sit there waiting in a corridor all lined up. Often the same monster is repeated again and again in that corridor.
And for me that's a good thing. I'm old and don't have the reflexes I did as a kid. I don't want to play the older CV games and have it be some weird form of athletics for my fingers. I want to just relax, listen to some great music and wander around fighting monsters. SOTN is a killing spree that in some ways has more in common with REALLY old games like Centipede, Galaga, etc than with OG Castlevania. Again, that may not be for everyone.

>That's still unacceptable and there are simply better things to do with your life then play this game over and over. Maybe once every 3-5 years.
Yeah and? That's about as often as I play 99% of video games, if even that. You've probably played SOTN more recently than I have by the sounds of it.

>>8357442
Ah, see I didn't even know red rust did that. All these autistic little details are part of what makes the game fun.
>>
>>8354667
It's also why the game is so fucking fun. In fact it's why a lot of games are stupidly fun, like Red Alert 2 or Heroes of Might & Magic 3.
>>
>>8355461
>>8354513
Galamoth is stupid easy once you realize you can use the lightning shield (whatever the item is called) to absorb lightning damage, making most of his attacks just heal you. All you have to do is stand around shanking his ankles until he dies.
>>
>>8358456
>ME R STUPID AND ME LUVE IT

Nigger, you cant be serious.
>>
>>8358885
I think it's called beryl circlet, maybe? Some kind of circlet. You don't really even need that, though. He's not a pushover, exactly, but you honestly could just mist form between his legs when he tries that lightning shit on you and hack away with Alucard Sword. Alternatively, get up on the ledge behind him and you can possibly stun lock him hitting him in the face.

>>8358954
You know, if you're going to expect everyone to start giving a fuck about the differences between the original X68000 version and the botched PSX port, maybe post a link to a good, trusty rom of the correct version or a video of how much more badass that stained glass knight is supposed to be?
>>
Is there any indication that Konami will ever put this on STEAM?
>>
>>8354464
>Why did they make it so easy?
They didn't try making a game, they just slapped ideas together and called it a day. For example the menu screen looks so bland because it's the test version they forgot to update for the final release and had no time to fix.
>>
>>8359125
It's the beryl circlet, it absorbs lighting attacks.
You get it in the inverted castle in the secret room from going through the rock tunnel as bat and wolf
>>
>>8360907
>For example the menu screen looks so bland because it's the test version they forgot to update for the final release and had no time to fix.
that's actually pretty soulful.
>>
>>8360907
sure because ever 8 year old kid found them or the crissaegrim righ away, is not like it was prized for the explorer, you sanctimonius retard, also i thought they wanted to attract the final fantasy crowd with that menu
>>
I notice a lot of the people talking about how easy the game is focus on overpowered combinations or using specific items at specific points.

If you dont have foreknowledge of this stuff, or you dont find certain items, or forget about an early game item’s effects or something, none of that really comes into play. I played the game a couple years ago and inverted castle felt about as hard to me as castlevania 1 on nes. I didnt have much knowledge on the game.

A lot of this comes off to me like people who complain about an rpg being easy because they already know about where all the overpowered items are and the weird obscure secret that lets you ohko a normally hard boss and stuff like that.
>>
>>8354464
I played sotn for the first time a couple years ago and had an absolute blast. I don't care how carefully or carelessly it was made, the game gets you pumped as fuck. I played many games over 30 years and this one was the first in a while (maybe since godhand) that got me really into it. Also in retrospective it's really easy to dismiss a game as "too easy" if you learned every aspect of it. You can steamroll Morrowind by exploiting some game mechanics 20 minutes after beginning.
>>
>>8360905
Why would you need that? You can literally download the rom right now without much hassle. And it runs in basically every emu
>>
>>8355060
Yeah, that's why the alt modes are always more fun than the base game, barring the twins in PoR.
>>
>>8361565
Agree. It's broken...if you know what to do.

Difficulty-wise, people usually don't talk about getting both rings.

You have to get the skeleton ape to throw a barrel on the wood platform in order to get underground. You also have to have the bat ability, and I don't remember if the echo of bat pick up says it lets you see in darkness. Surely it must.

There's only one time you use it to see in darkness, plus there's only one time when you use an enemy to open a way forward. So there's no precedent, and it's not used after. It's a one-off game mechanic.

Maybe some of you long time CV bros can say whether any of the other games used the skeleton ape setup? As far as I know SotN is the only one that does.

Point being, it tells you something appeared near the bridge when you push the switch, but, from a game design perspective, I have to wonder how many people this would confuse. It seems like it would confuse a lot of people. And like I said, I'm not sure if echo of bat has a description that hints you can use it to light up a dark place.

SotN has a lot of Super Metroid influence. Were there things like this in Super Metroid?
>>
>>8361624
>it's really easy to dismiss a game as "too easy" if you learned every aspect of it
The issue is that it's too easy even if you don't try at all.
>>
>>8362225
it's easy but not obscenely easy as everyone points it out to be if you have prior knowledge, imo a lot of its (lack of) difficulty comes from having so fucking many save points (which fully heal you) across the game
>>
>>8361628
achievements
>>
>>8361565
Alternative hypothesis - Everyone says the game is easy because it's actually just easy and you're a retard who sucks at video games.
>>
>>8362132
It didn't confuse anyone back in day because back then people weren't braindead zoomers who need to be handheld through everything.
>>
>>8354464
There are actually two directions you can take in the original castle. It depends wether you go through the clock room, meet Maria, and continue to the right. Or if you don't go to the clock room and go down.

Also, if you want to make the game wicked hard all you have to do is beat the game and use the Luck name mod.
>>
>>8362290
See I could accept that if I hadnt played through Castlevania 1 and Super. Not like that makes me some pro gamer, not even close, but it gives me the perspective to say that sotn isnt braindead easy compared to the rest of the series (if you dont already know about what you can abuse, anyway).

Also only talking about the difficulty of the inverted castle. I would agree the normal one is much easier than the castlevania games before it.

So nah, you’re just a mean little bitch.
>>
>>8355425
I also remember shield drops being really rare
The first time I played the game I think I only had the basic leather shield for most of it
>>
>>8362290
why do so many retards on this site equate being laconic and hostile with being smart
>>
>>8362678
Different anon, either you suck or you're a jackass trying to hype up SoTN's difficulty any way you can. Apologies if you honestly haven't noticed, but people in this thread and others have already pointed out how you don't need the overpowered shit from grinding to steamroll the game, you can pretty easily do so with the more basic weapons you find on the ground, never mind stuff like Alucard's heirloom sword.

I'll give you this much, though. Inverted Castle in particular has some mooks who can be real bastards since they're neither dumb brutes or too weak to pull something off, like those final guardian guys or the Salome witches in particular.

>>8362132
And then there's this stuff about the exploration. Frankly, probably the only parts I would say could throw someone for a loop are ones involving the clock room in the center, specifically getting to Olrox's Quarters and taking the rings there. The former because someone might not spend enough time there to realize that's a thing and how it works, the latter because the rings' in-game descriptions actually tell you to go the Clock Tower, which probably is indeed something that will fuck with someone with no prior knowledge.

The skeleton ape thing? Never knew that myself, didn't have a problem with it considering the game tells you something is off one you hit the switch and I think actually immediately demonstrates the wooden bridge thing right there, doesn't it? I might be misremembering, though. The bat echo thing might screw with someone if they don't know anything about bats, though, that one is a fair point since it's not like the game educates you on bat sonar and echolocation.
>>
>>8362867
>The skeleton ape thing? Never knew that myself, didn't have a problem with it considering the game tells you something is off one you hit the switch and I think actually immediately demonstrates the wooden bridge thing right there, doesn't it?
you push the switch and then it says something appeared near the wooden bridge. it doesn't cut to show you the skeleton ape. and if you approach the bridge from where you pushed the button, you pretty much have to kill the skeleton ape, go a screen right, then go back and lure it to the bridge.

i pretty sure experienced gamers can figure that out, but i could see a lot of people getting confused about that.

>The bat echo thing might screw with someone if they don't know anything about bats, though, that one is a fair point since it's not like the game educates you on bat sonar and echolocation.
true, but my thing is I don't think the game suggests you can use it to light up dark areas. Maybe it does.

With regard to the clock tower, when you get both rings it says something like wear in... ...clock tower. Someone who doesn't understand the big clock is in a tower, I could see them getting confused. I would think a clock tower is where you fight the harpies and jump off the gears. But there's only one big clock in the game, so it was obvious to me.
>>
>>8354464
They didn't know what the fuck they were doing.
>>
>>8361565
Thing is, even going in unarmed the game is broken.
You can attack fast as fuck with your fists and even do double damage due to some dodgy hit detection that registers twice.
You really are best off in the early game to mid game to just punch everyone to death.
>>
>>8356914
/thread
>>
>>8362297
Luck mode doesn't make the game "wicked" hard.
It makes the first 2 hours slightly harder and then you're invincible again.
>>
>>8363054
>you push the switch and then it says something appeared near the wooden bridge. it doesn't cut to show you the skeleton ape. and if you approach the bridge from where you pushed the button, you pretty much have to kill the skeleton ape, go a screen right, then go back and lure it to the bridge.
Are you legit retarded?
When you push the switch an ape drops down and throws a barrel to break the floor you're on.
It literally shows you exactly what you need to do to get through the other floor.
I'm not trying to be mean but the only way you could be confused by that is if you're an actual retard.
>>
File: sotn_barrel.jpg (28 KB, 736x361)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>8363054
>it doesn't cut to show you the skeleton ape
I decided to look a up a video of it, and sure enough, me and other anon >>8363589 were right, the game drops a skeleton ape right there in the room with you to demonstrate what you're supposed to do. It's even how you get the Herald Shield. I think they even use the same bridge graphic, and you're likely to have run across it on your way to the waterfall.
>true, but my thing is I don't think the game suggests you can use it to light up dark areas. Maybe it does.

No, I'm fairly certain that you're correct, the game doesn't tell you that bat sonar can light up rooms, and that's the thing I was getting at regarding whether or not a given player knows how bats irl travel in the dark. You know, sonar, echolocation, where they squeak and squeal and the soundwaves bounce back to them when they hit off objects. "Lighting up the room" is the game's way of reflecting this to you, the player.
>But there's only one big clock in the game, so it was obvious to me
It's probably obvious to a lot of people, frankly, but it is a rather silly thing for the ring inscriptions to read the wrong place. I don't know if that's how it is in the original Japanese or if it's just localizers being dumb, but it is a thing.
>>
File: 1568234983965.png (890 KB, 1200x675)
890 KB
890 KB PNG
>>8354464
Where can I play SOTN anons? I don't have access to a PS or anything. Are there emulators for it?
>>
>>8366651
no, there are no emulators for the PS1, sorry buddy
>>
realistically, you can get to about 199% completion without any external help, but a couple of those missing rooms are total BS really
>>
>>8366669
For real? Then people can't emulate games like Silent Hill 1? Wow.
>>
>>8363054
dunno, figured both things out when I was literally 12 including the bat thing. wasnt an experience player back then, just common sense even as a child. you can expect atleast that much from a regular human being.
>>
File: Galamoth2.gif (140 KB, 2720x1990)
140 KB
140 KB GIF
>>8354498
It's easy even if you don't cheese. Only thing that gave me a hard time in the entire game was that secret optional boss.
>>
>>8366792
>this is the game's 'superboss'
Oh, no wonder I actually had to use a couple potions on him.
>>
Aria did everything better

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.