[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Mega_Man_7_Coverart.jpg (100 KB, 250x183)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
Was Mega Man 7 the worst classic Mega Man?

Every year when I replay through the games again this is the one I always dread replaying the most and I can't quite put my finger on it.
>>
I'll take 7 any day over 4, 5, or 6. And I think 4 and 5 are good games.
>>
7 is one of the best for me. The NES ones are all great too, but at one point they all become too same-y, while 7 feels more original and unique.
8 is the one I like the least
>>
>>8344806
7 is based shut the hell up already and stop false flagging
>>
>>8344806
It's a little clumsy, but there are a lot of improvement patches, the most famous one I know of being Refit.

https://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&game=849
>>
8 was much better, 7 seemed off because the sprites are much larger and it's played more zoomed in compared to every other one... And you can't choose all 8 stages right away either. I wasn't crazy about 7 either.

I like the megaman X games the best
>>
7 just takes to know the game to enjoy it. It's one of those games that start to kick ass once you've already played through it once or twice

>>8344827
These don't really improve anything. All they do is fix things which aren't broken.
>>
>>8344869
>And you can't choose all 8 stages right away either.
Can with a password my boy
>>
>>8344806
Are you claiming that 7 was worse than 8 or does 8 not count here? 8 is a piece of dogshit, take the goggles off friend.
>>
>>8344929
You lose the museum stage if you do that though. Not a great loss but still a loss
>>
MM7 has the same FOV as the Game Boy titles.

Unlike in 7 which literally has enemies shooting from off-screen, the FOV is never a problem in the GB titles. Just gets to show how the supposed "B team" can sometimes be better than the "household names from A team"
>>
7 and 8 are both great and soulful in their own way. Every classic series Mega Man game is a good game at worst.
>>
>>8344806
In my opinion, it's either 8 or 1.
>>
>>8345224
Bad taste either way. 7 is far from the worst game, by the way.
>>
Super zoomed in, goofy looking Megaman sprite, no rush transformations. Yeah, its down there. I like it better than 8 though, so no, it isn't the worst.
>>
>>8344808
>Over 4

Yeah, shit taste.

>>8344809
7 is hardly unique. Unless by unique you mean needlessly cartoony and frustrating. Splitting up the robot masters was a bad call, the first 4 stages are short and piss easy, and relies on too many "gotcha" moments all throughout. And the less said about Wily Capsule the better. It's a nice looking and nice sounding game humongous Mega Man sprite aside, but it's definitely soulless and outmoded by Mega Man X entirely.

>>8344886
WAOW! YOU CAN BURN LE TREES AND FREEZE LE FLOOR! There isn't anything interesting about this game upon replays my friend. And if you want to bring up the letter searches then you have MM6 already doing that shit also.

>>8344941
8 is pretty dogshit too, it's a toss up between it and 7 for me. I think 7 is worse though because it started the whole gay overtly cartoony atmosphere vibe that 8 followed up on with disastrous results. Mega Man & Bass was the only saving grace of that era.

>>8344947
Ohhhh noooo a shitty contrived nostalgia bait stage with a pathetic miniboss, what a great loss!

7 is the ultra contrarian's choice, more concerned with looks over integrity.
>>
>>8344806
>every year when I replay Megaman
Anon you need more hobbies other than replaying Megaman.
>>
>>8345861
>he says this on a board that's slow and full of boomers talking about CRT mods

Please be more disingenous. Please.
>>
>>8345859
>needlessly cartoony
yeah, remember when Mega Man was realistic on NES?
>and frustrating
should I say it?
>>
File: (You).png (10 KB, 225x225)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>8345859
>because it started the whole gay overtly cartoony atmosphere vibe
>>
>>8344806
No. It’s one of the best. The worst classic game is either 11 or 10
>>
>>8345859
I only ever see fans of MM4 act like this. People who have any of the other games as their faves seem to be understanding and friendly, except 4fags who throw endless shitfits and insult everything that isn’t up to their gold standard of perfection. Weird coincidence I guess
>>
>>8345886
Megaman 9 really rubs me the wrong way. It takes away all the moves introduced after 2, but is WAY harder than 2. It also scales the graphics back to look really dull, just like 1 and 2.
10 would piss me off, but you can play as Bass, and that saves the game. He has a ton of personality and a fun moveset.
>>
>>8344806
7 is leagues better than 5, 6 and 8
>>
>>8345872
If you don't play on a crt you need to go back to /v/.
>>
>>8345859
>8 is pretty dogshit
Shut the fuck up, br*t.
>>
I have it as the 2nd or 3rd best one, actually. Def better than 1-3. Maybe 4 and 6 are better. Depends on my mood.
>>
>>8344806
7 is great but even if it was the worst Mega Man game it's still one of the best games on the platform.
>>
>>8344806
7 is kino until the final boss
>>
>>8344806
6 is the only one I actually hate playing.
>>
When I was a kid I always thought Mega Man X was just a Roman numeral and they had made it to 10 when I wasn't paying attention.
>>
>>8345471
Bad taste why? I don't think they're bad games but I like just about every other (retro) classic game more.
>>
>>8346304
Why does everyone always bitch about the final boss? It's extremely easy, just charge beam + thunder bolt if he's in range or slide + jump otherwise to avoid the projectiles.
>>
>>8346328
That's kek
>>
>>8346328
I was the same way. Then again I can recall as a child playing Smash T.V. with my brother, and when this guy came on screen I turned to him and asked "Hey why does it say 'APPLESAUCE' down there?"

I was a dumb fucking kid.
>>
>>8346674
show video of urself beating it extremely easily
>>
>>8345907
MM9 being MM2 2.0 always irked me too, but I get why they did it. You'd like MM10 since it's basically NES Mega Man on steroids.
>>
>>8345907
nothin personal kid
>>
9 is the best in the series. It has the best pacing, best gameplay dynamic despite being based on less moves, and is the most fun to do buster only. The problem is you need to get good to enjoy it.
>>
>>8344806
None of the Megaman games are good. You're all kidding yourselves.
>>
>>8344806
Yes. And the sprites are ugly as fuck, everybody is fat on this game for some reason.
>>
>>8346998
>bro you didn't actually have fun
>>
8 > 7

Megaman 8 have great art design. The problem is that the game is too easy, otherwise it would be one of the best megaman games.
>>
>>8347009
>Megaman 8 have great art design. The problem is that the game is too easy
Wily Stage 1 makes me not want to replay it
>>
>>8347009
gameplay is shit in 8

>long animations makes for unresponsive gameplay
>very slow movement, then once you get the sliding upgrade the sliding is so fast compared to the rest it feels like bad romhack-tier change
>HP/Energy refilled half way through stages so you can just do whatever and play like shit and get by
>only challenge in stages comes from the game throwing literally DOZENS of enemies at you at once, making for a very messy experience

The devs got so lost into what can be done with new hardware that they didn't stop to wonder if it was fun. But hey you have 12 frames per animations and 20 enemies on the screen, doesn't that look just cool?
>>
>>8344806
I hated the delay before your weapon starts charging, having to beat the first four Robot Master stages before the other four can even be entered and grinding for Bolts.
>>
>>8347025
I continue to blame Mega Man X's relative success for the weird directions the SNES/PS1 Classic games went in their attempts to emulate it.
>>
>>8347019
Wily Stage 1 is not hard at all.
I swear to fuck will I have to make a webm of that shit for you people?
>>
>>8345859
>it started the whole gay overtly cartoony atmosphere vibe
Classic MM has always been cartoony, you retard.
>>
I'm a fan, my only issue is the massive screen-crunch compared to the NES titles. Music, control, graphics, and challenge are all great. Some sprites, like Wily's ship and the Robot Masters, are absolutely gorgeous.
>>
>>8347125
Maybe he thought the NES box art was canon?
>>
8 had great weapons
>>
>>8344806
>Every year when I replay through the games again this is the one I always dread replaying the most
Really? Not 1?
>>
>>8347386
1 is perfectly fine.
>>
>>8347386
Why are you hating on 1 you fucking moron?
>>
>>8345859
You sound like a bitch
>>
>>8345896
I've seen plenty fans of 1 and 2 do the same exact thing. It's just the retardation of this board. I never see it anywhere else.
>>
>>8345907
You're right and yet 9 is still one of the bests.
>>
>>8347116
Yes faggot.
>>
>>8347834
Touché
>>
>>8344806
7 is good.
For me the worst one was 9, god damn I never thought Classic would go lower than 1, but boy did they manage to pull it off.
>>
>>8345859
I like 5.
>>
>>8346969
Always wondered, is there ANY way to play Megaman 9 and 10 in pixel perfect mode instead of this dreadful univen pixel scale? looks even uglier on the new collections.
>>
>>8344886
>All they do is fix things which aren't broken.
Depends whether you believe MM7 only improved upon 1-6, which obviously not everyone agrees is the case.
>>
>>8344806
when i saw screenshots in game player's magazine back in the day, i thought it looked pretty damn good. i could never find it for rent in blockbuster, so i think the first time i played it must've been on zsnes. i was surprised by it not feeling as responsive as i expected. by contrast mega man 8 feels fine, but a criticism i heard is the jump isn't long enough. having played the shit out of that game, i get where that opinion comes from.

i think i want to play all the way through this game some day, but maybe i'll change my retroarch settings so there's minimal input lag.

i dunno, game just feels different.
>>
>>8348265
I think there are options in USB Loader GX to disable the common filters and deflickers for most Wii games. Not sure if Dolphin itself has anything
>>
>>8348221
How can you be this retarded
>>
File: 1617965470764.jpg (42 KB, 600x800)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
As someone who played the X games first, I was disgusted by 7 at first. The huge MM sprite taking so much room on screen, no wall slide, the really bright pallette.
Now it's one of my favorite classic games. I love the well placed secrets/eastereggs. Some great tracks such as https://youtu.be/7F6oBVSPULA
And the stage variety is great. A spooky castle? A dinosaur forest? Fucking based.
>>
File: C5gnQ1SU4AAlOKB[1].jpg (1011 KB, 1858x2048)
1011 KB
1011 KB JPG
>>8344806
7 is pretty fun desu. One of the better classic games.
>weapons are pretty strong or fun to use (Slash, Cloud, Junk, Burst)
>movement feels nice and snappy (unlike the GB games and 8)
>keeps the visual style of the NES and GB games intact without going too sugary-sweet like 8
>cool level ideas and music
Only major complaint is how easy it is Wily Capsule non-withstanding

worst classic is either 6 or Gameboy2
>>
I recently replayed the whole series from 1 to 7 + X1&2, and its good. the "zoomed in" view was never an issue, I never got hit by something I never saw coming. The controls are identical to the nes games, and all the nes games play the same(other than the lack of slide and charge on earlier games), other than not being able to jump out of slide in MM6, anyone who claims otherwise is shitposter or played one game on real console+crt and then another on laggy emulator, or played the games many years apart. Back to the topic, I do really like the 7's aesthetics too, if you want edgy then go play X series. My only complaints is the super slow intro stage and rush find/dig is annoying.
>>
>>8348787
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE GAME, AND HOW YOU PLAY IT
ALL ABOUT CONTROL DECKS AND IF YOU CAN PILOT EM
LOOK OVER YOUR SHOULDER READY TO RUN FROM A WAVE MOTION CANNON
>>
My fav Mega Man 6 but to be honest i enjoy all the games, Mega Man 7 has a really good soundtrack and secrets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxSWjJmz1Dk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lK_bD7RyIU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huDeUlKBsv0
>>
>>8349262
Zoomed in view is only an issue in the Zero series.
>>
>>8349262
Zoomed in view isn't an issue because of screen crunch in 7. It just makes each screen tiny and less interesting than the NES games.
>>
>>8349938
Not even an issue there
>>
Fat megaman
>>
>>8349938
Only in Zero 1 or 2
>>
>>8348680
I'm not. 9 was fucking awful. Genuinely one of the worst experiences I've ever had with a Megaman game. Even 1 wasn't as badly designed as 9 is.
>>
>>8350351
Literally filtered
>>
>>8350364
I finished the game, thats how I know exactly how bad it was.
>>
>>8350351
why do you hate it so much? I thought it had a good weaponset and solid level design. I have some gripes here and there about enemy placement. Other than that, I really liked it.
>>
>>8350998
Certain stuff felt like it was designed with the slide in mind and then the slide got removed last second. The first thing that comes to mind is the boulder mini boss.

Everything in the shop costs way too much for how rare bolts are, and that's a huge issue since there's only a total of like 2 E-Tanks in the main 8 stages. Also its really dumb that the hard mode hair style change is something you have to repeatedly buy and can't just turn on/off after buying once.

Spikes or similar instant death traps are placed fucking everywhere in basically every level.

They went back to old mistakes with weapon energy by forcing you to slowly grind it out for Wily stage gimmicks because you died once. Also I don't know why people jerk off the weapons, they were pretty mediocre, most weren't that useful, which is honestly par for the course for this franchise.

The whole game just felt absolutely bullshit to me. I would probably sooner play through X6 again than go back to MM9. Shit just wasn't even fun, it was miserable the whole way through.
>>
>>8351093
You have plenty of time to run to the side for that boulder boss. If anything I have the opposite problem where playing as Protoman makes me use the slide when I really don't need to and I end up fucking myself over.

What problems do you have with weapon energy? I didn't have any problems with running out of anything you needed except on Superhero mode with the platforms that you need to use Tornado Man's weapon on. I don't think there's anything else you're required to use.

I guess there's some "gotcha" moments with spikes and the enemies that pop out of the holes, but you can usually tell once you know
>>
9 kind of pisses me off, but the music is good and at least Rush turns Megaman red.
>>
File: 59049083_p0.jpg (542 KB, 550x550)
542 KB
542 KB JPG
>>8344806
I like it better than 1,2, 5, and 10.
>>
>>8345717
>no rush transformations
???
>>
>>8348672
And some guys in gbatemp made gecko codes supposedly to "fix" the scale of the game. Now you can run these games on 480p and no blurry filter. Is this the best way to play it? I don't know but I can tell you that it definitely looks better than the way it looked at default.
>>
File: MM9wily1.webm (2.81 MB, 936x720)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB WEBM
>>8351093
I'm sorry anon, but every single of your complains boils down to getting filtered

BTW the boulder mini boss is my favourite mini boss in the series exactly because of how well balanced it is. Once you get good you can kill it so fast that he only has time to do his hiding pattern twice; and there is something very satisfying about timing your shots so that they hit as soon as the boulder is in the middle of coming down and when he's rolling back up the side of the wall. 1
This is what MM9 allows, super tight, super fast paced gameplay (the pacing feels faster than most other MM games despite having no slide, I can only think of MM11 which is faster) with a higher skill gap.
Once the get good the entire game has this fast paced dynamic

BTW - every single forced use of weapon energy in Wily Castle has at least one potential alternative using another weapon, sometimes two. And using those alternatives is often cheaper on energy than the most obvious way
>>
>>8352149
>Once you get good you can kill it so fast that he only has time to do his hiding pattern twice

I'm talking buster only in case that wasn't obvious
>>
>>8344806
Probably because it was developed in three months.
>>
>>8344806
I just don't like the huge sprites. Makes movement sluggish.
>>
File: 4574538[1].png (48 KB, 301x263)
48 KB
48 KB PNG
>>8344806
7 is really well despite the four-and-four system carrying in from the GB titles. Actively hiding fully optional movement utilities (Rush Jet, Adaptor) makes them feel more powerful on virtue of the level design needing to let you by without them, effectively making them fun overkill for jumps. There's a cool face mask demon thing that lets you jump on missiles, which is just fucking badass.
One of the top classic Megamans, no doubt. If the sprite size is too much of a dealbreaker, I'd point you to that Japanese demake. (.exe file for your computer, not an NES rom.)
>>8352161
It's two cycle buster only (with decent mashing and positioning yourself well when it comes down the second time), and it doesn't get to finish it's first cycle with strong weps like Concrete or charged Magma.
>>
>>8351093
>I would probably sooner play through X6
You can't be serious. If those are you complaints with 9 there's no way you can see X6 as better. Your only valid complaint was the hard mode hair style needing to be repurchased, everything else is very minor or a non-issue. You can easily farm for bolts in mm9 thanks to the jewel satellite and respawning Tellies btw.
>>
>>8351093
>the slide level design is poor

I agree. It was clearly removed and given to Protoman just so you would buy the DLC. That’s cheap and shitty to the customer. Thankfully you can get through the game without it bar a few screws

>shop prices are high

That they are. Thankfully there’s a spot in Plug Man’s stage where you can equip the jewel shield and just stand there and rake in the bolts. Hell you can even turn the tv off and go do something else for 10 minutes and you’ll be fully stocked up in no time.

>spikes everywhere

Always in avoidable spots and easy to see coming

>you have to grind

Not really. I beat the game without any E-tanks the first time I played it (granted it was the first mega man game I bothered with and I didn’t know you could use them to fill health)

>weapons mediocre

It might not be the most amazing set of weapons but it’s the first game in the series up to that point where all of them are useful in each stage and don’t just serve as boss weaknesses. The Jewel shield is absurdly broken and steamrolls through everything. The Laser Trident can move through walls and packs a punch, Black Hole Bomb sucks in enemies, Tornado Blow is a good screen nuke, Magma Bazooka shoots three ways and can charge up for big damage, Plug Ball travels up walls, Concrete Shot freezes some enemies and creates platforms, Hornet Chaser attacks faraway enemies and picks up items you need. It’s the most useful set of weapons in the classic series. Every MM game up to that point, and after; had at least one weapon that was useless except for boss fights. Even in weapon sets that everyone jerks off like MM2, there’s useless shit like Atomic Fire or Bubble Chaser that you’re never going to use except for bosses. 9 is consistent and therefore the best. Helps that they’re also fun to use
>>
>>8344806
Yes
There's a reason why there weren't any followup games in this style, and why MM&B was a "Megaman 8 style" instead of 7.
>>
>>8351195
>You have plenty of time to run to the side for that boulder boss.
Nah definitely not, if I wasn't already luckily moving out of the way of where he was dropping, I would always get hit.
>What problems do you have with weapon energy?
I summed it up already, the Wily stage gimmicks. Particularly the magma section killed me a ton, so I had to grind out more of the concrete shots every death. They should have just placed some respawning energy refills instead of those cylinder dudes.

>>8352149
>every single of your complains boils down to getting filtered
"Filtered" implies I didn't make it past the game, but I finished the entire thing. Learn what words mean before you use them.

>>8352713
I'm being dead serious. X6 without any armor cheats would provide me a better time than replaying MM9.
>You can easily farm for bolts in mm9 thanks to the jewel satellite and respawning Tellies btw.
Yeah I did that, was real fun to put the controller down for 2 hours only to come back to 700 bolts, not even a full 999. I like X8, but I'm not going to pretend it's shop is a non-issue because you can put a rubber band around your controller to farm the giant mechanaloid for a few hours to have enough metals for the whole game.
>>
>>8353210
>Thankfully there’s a spot in Plug Man’s stage where you can equip the jewel shield and just stand there and rake in the bolts. Hell you can even turn the tv off and go do something else for 10 minutes and you’ll be fully stocked up in no time.
It takes a LOT longer than 10 minutes to stock up on bolts, you need to leave the game for a few hours.
>Always in avoidable spots and easy to see coming
Still felt shitty to me. X6's spikes everywhere are also fairly easy to avoid, but its blatantly obvious that its just lazy level design because they couldn't think up adequate enemies to challenge the player and had to force a sense of danger somehow.
>Not really. I beat the game without any E-tanks the first time I played it
The grind was referring to weapon energy in Wily stages, not E-Tanks.
>it’s the first game in the series up to that point where all of them are useful in each stage and don’t just serve as boss weaknesses
The only ones I got any mileage out of was the Black Hole and Laser Trident, especially the Black Hole. Everything else was too situational or didn't deal enough damage to warrant switching to, like the Tornado one, I remember a lot of things being immune to it, though I'll admit I didn't realize you could charge the Magma Bazooka.
It wasn't even the best selection of weapons up to that point, I got much more mileage out of the weapons in 8 and Bass. 9's stuff really didn't wow me at all other than the Black Hole.
>>
>>8353353
Ah well, different strokes. Appreciate you can get some enjoyment out of something like X6 when I can’t.
>>
>>8344827
>Refit
imagine playing a hack made by this creature
>>
>>8353236
>in this style
it's the same game since 1987 anon up til megaman 11
>>
>>8352210
Rockman 7 FC is a very good port (unlike the RM8FC one done by other people). It tweaks a few major and minor things from vanilla, so it's worth a playthrough.
>shop, Hyperbolt, and Rush Search fully removed, some items shuffled around and rehidden to accommodate
>no intro or midstage, start with all eight RMs
>stupid "oooo ouchie mama i've been hit by a weakness" stunlocks removed from RM patterns

>>8353329
>>8353353
Standing shielded under droppers for bolts is a very big waste of time, unless you luck out.
>get around 250 bolts just buy playing the game normally and grabbing everything you see lying around the stage
>given lives as a special treat nearly every level (should have little trouble maxing out)
>you can revisit for bolts/1UPs/E-tanks for free as much as you want
As for Wily 1:
>You can scale every fan section with only Concrete, and save the ammo for if you fuck up
>You can do every lava pillar room with a single Rush Coil or single Rush Jet
>>
>>8353881
>Bomberman, starring Pretty Bomber
>””””improvement””””
>>
>>8344806
Megaman 8 exists.
>>8353236
MM&B has MM8's art style because Capcom knew the real MM8 was too gimmicky and that they could make a better game with the limitations of the SNES.
>>
>>8353942
What's wrong with RM8FC?
>>
>>8353210
>spikes easy to see coming
I disagree. I think the Galaxy Man level spikes would be hard for a first timer to anticipate in some sections
>>
I only replay Megaman games I enjoy, so 1-4 and X1
>>
>>8354058
>MM8 was too gimmicky
The franchise's been the exact same since MM1 and the lack of innovation was a major reason why sales were dwindling (and why MMX brought them back up). MM8 had good gimmicks anyway.
>>
File: psswd[1].png (7 KB, 431x415)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>8354107
>entire chunks of level removed instead of adapted (Frost, Search, Astro), boss gate is just thrown in early
>sprites and tiles aren't drawn very well
>dot passwords that take ages to type in
>buggy (shit not loading in sometimes, softlocks, crashes)
the game technically isn't even finished, production just stopped years ago
>>
>>8354231
>entire chunks of level removed instead of adapted
And yet they did nothing with the puzzle rooms in Sword Man's stage, making it impossible to proceed without the weapons of Tengu/Clown/Frost/Grenade Man.
>>
>>8354221
>impossible to proceed in Sword trials in 8FC
are you sure about that anon

Tengu trial made the little floating things stay suspended in the air and not dip down

Clown trial has disappearing blocks over the one gap that needs it, and lets you buster the switched like in vanilla.
Frost trial has it's timings changed to let you by safely.
Grenade trial is merged with Tengu's, and is also visible naturally.
>>
>>8354297
meant for >>8354246
>>
File: Bass gets dropped.jpg (2.25 MB, 1194x1792)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB JPG
>>8354297
>Sword Man stage in 8FC
Anon, that's a fangame. The original game doesn't let you play that stage until you have the stuff you need to clear it.
On the one hand, I'll give you the fact that being unable to play any of the 8 stages at any time kinda sucks, but on the other hand keeping 4 stages locked let the developers make them more interesting since you're guaranteed too have the first 4 weapons by the time you can play the other 4.
>>
>>8354319
I've never been fan of Megaman puzzles where the only way forward through mandatory shit is a single weapon. Boobeam from 2 is dull af on repeat playthroughs, and Sword is way longer.
Much prefer 7 and a few sections of 9 where you have multiple valid options to work with.
>>
>>8344806
7 is fun
>>
>>8354221
>MM8 had good gimmicks anyway
I disagree. The snowboarding was okay but I didn't like the shoot 'em up sections and Astroman's maze.
>>
>>8353329
>"Filtered" implies I didn't make it past the game, but I finished the entire thing. Learn what words mean before you use them.

Not necesarilly. You could still beat the game by using saves, farming to buy e-tanks / lifes and spamming weapons in a retarded way than using M tanks, which you sound like you did since you complain how long it takes to farm for bolts. Spoilers: farming in a Mega Man is the number one give away that you suck at the games.

Most of your complains boils down to complaining about difficulty, which aren't even that hard. There are plenty of things in 1-2-3-4 which are much harder than in 9. One thing for instance are the spikes, the vast majority of spikes in 9 are pretty much just decoration or an excuse to create a puzzle and dying against those would be super lame, like this screen for instance >>8346969
At first glance to a casual player it looks scary but in reality the screen is a piece of cake. The only spikes that should be able to kill the players are the spike drops in Splash Woman stage and they're much easier than what you can find in the first games.

Claiming that the game was "designed with the sliding in mind and that they removed it" is also a give away of sucking at the game. There is absolutely nothing in the game designed with sliding in mind, which becomes really obvious when playing as Protoman and how much of an edge the sliding gives you in some boss fights, but it sounds like you're not very good at learning patterns, get hit, and then go cry "boo-hoo it's not fair because I could have dodged that with a slide!!!" which would be like saying the same thing in MMX4 but regarding the upwards dash from X3.
>>
>>8353618
Oh, I don't mean to imply I enjoy X6, the fun in that game stops after the intro stage. I'm just saying it would be less painful to play than MM9

>>8354705
There's nothing in any of the games prior to 9 that is even close to being as difficult as 9's bullshit other than the Yellow Devil in 1 because of that one perfectly timed and let go jump you have to do to avoid getting hit by his pattern each time.
I'm also far from bad at Megaman games, I've beaten minimalist challenges of X4 and X5 with both X and Zero, almost did the same with X1, but that tower of enemies after Vile is cancer with buster only and no dash, so I stopped there. People bitch about Bass being ludicrously hard, but I found it to be average in difficulty, and had a blast playing it.

MM9 was definitely made with the slide in mind in certain areas, there's no way you can change my mind on this. That stupid rock miniboss and the shadow Megamen that outrun you are two clear examples. It was dumb in the first place for them to remove slide and charge shots, but even though 10 did the same it felt like a much better balanced and well crafted game for all 3 of my playthroughs, which leads me to believe something just went horribly wrong with 9.
>>
>>8345896
Take your meds schizo
>>
>>8355154
>rock miniboss

You can see where the rocks are going to fall before they do due to the crumbling small rocks beforehand, thus leaving you plenty of time to predict where the rocks are gonna fall

>shadow mega men
Most of them don't even catch up to you as long as you keep running, due to level design. That's actually a great example of why MM9's pacing is so fucking good: once you get good you hardly ever need to stop (unlike MM10 which has showstoppers everywhere). For the others, the intended way is to turn around and shoot or to use jewell satellite

Also, there are similar, or sometimes much worse (harder to dodge/dispose of) situations in MM1-2. The shadow men are very similar to the Atomic Chicken from MM2 in how they can catch up to you from behind but sometimes you can save yourself by keeping on running due to the level design. I guess that proves MM2 was designed with the sliding in mind. Or how when Sniper Armor jumps you have JUST enough to run below them.
>>
>>8355218
There's a lot of bullshit in Mega Man 2 that's far worse than anything in 9.
>Airman's attacks can't be dodged unless you do some stunts with Item-1
>All of the Wily stages require a lot of weapon ammo to get through for the most basic shit
>Boobeam trap requiring every crash bomb you have so if you die you have to farm and if you used crash bombs before the boss then you're fucked
9 is not without flaws for sure but I can't help but feel that anon is really stretching it.
>>
>>8355223
Almost forgot: Quick Man is so quick and so entirely RNG that your only hope of beating him without taking damage is to carefully stun him with weapons that he is immune to and switch back and forth between weapons before he starts moving again.

There's also nothing in mm9 that's as bs as the doc robot fights in 3.
>>
>>8355230
that's because Quick Man was designed to be dodged with the slide obviously
>>
>>8354643
What was so bad about the shmup section? Having Rock's friends show up and start blasting everything in sight is one of the most fun things in the game, how can you possibly hate it?
>>
File: 1607683243791.jpg (255 KB, 564x800)
255 KB
255 KB JPG
>>8355279
I'll concede that a schmup section with his friends is OK since its still about shooting and many platformers use schmup sections to break up the monotony, but the rest of the gimmicks are inexcusable and the schmup section in question takes up a huge chunk of the level. Its like the terrible jet ski gimmick stage in MM5 but ballooned to excess proportions, I mean really? A puzzle inside a temple? Several trial and error JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE segments? All while still adhering to the cancerous 4/4 robot master split from 7.

MM8 is more like a generic anime adventure game for Playstation with lots of distractions and incoherent pacing and level design bogged down by puzzles and cutscenes, its no longer the simple direct polished gameplay and level design of classic MM where you just run and shoot while interacting with environment gadgets and setpieces.

Consider that in MM games you only have 8 basic levelsb o work with, with 4 final endgame ones using a trail mix of previous stuff to test your fully loaded kit out. Devoting even a fraction of any of those levels to extremely long gimmick segments tarnished the MM formula and is the reason why this shitforsaken franchise died out in the 90s. Granted I do agree some innovation had to be done to stave off entropy but they went about it in the most hamfisted way possible. I would rather a solid game like 11 that knows what it wants to be with only some silly superflous Kirby tier gimmick buttressing the main gameplay like time slow than change genres entirely like a dumbass Platinum game made by Kamiya throwing distractions at you every second, obfuscating the core gameplay.
>>
>>8355316
>superflous Kirby tier gimmick buttressing the main gameplay like time slow

The gear mechanic was really smart. It's smart because the entire game is designed so you don't NEED to use it (even Wily's last form can be dealt with without using the time gear), but bad players can use it to help themselves and triviliaze the harder sections.

What this means is that they could dare to keep the challenge up without reviews and players crying about it like for MM9. Meanwhile, for players that like the challenge, learning to master the game without using the gear is tons of fun.
It's the best of both worlds and a solution to cater to everyone I really don't mind

11 is one of my favourites after 9 and 4. My main gripe with it is that the stages can be a bit too long, I would rather they had more stages but shorter ones (but of course that requires more work).
>>
>>8355279
I didn't really find it fun. It's not what I play Megaman for, if I wanted to play a shoot 'em up then I'd look for that kind of game. The snowboarding on the other hand is okay because it still feels like you're playing as Megaman in some way, just with autoscrolling.
>>
File: mm8.png (1.64 MB, 1194x1792)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB PNG
>>8355316
>A puzzle inside a temple?
Yeah. It's a very obvious trope to use.
> Several trial and error JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE segments?
This issue is overexaggerated and I'll make a webm of it at some point. I played the whole game with only the Buster two weeks ago and the snowboarding sections were no more troubling than something like Quickman's stage. By the time I finished it I only appreciated the game even more. The only real tedious part was Astroman's stage, and it was nowhere near the kind of tedium that would make me want to stop playing. Complaints about 8 are always blown out of proportion like the game is a sin upon humanity for having a few flaws. It gets more shit than 9 for things that shouldn't even annoy you unless you're an explosive autist like Grenademan.
>its no longer classic MM where you just run and shoot while interacting with environment gadgets and setpieces.
8 has that in spades, I don't know what you're on about.
>>
>>8344809
Jump jump
slide slide
>>
File: GIT GIT GUD GUD.webm (2.95 MB, 318x240)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB WEBM
Done. Excuse my sloppy execution, I haven't played this game in 20-something years until two weeks ago. Even trying it again now took me a few tries because I didn't remember some of it but it is a Wily Stage after all. Challenging, but not egregious.
>>
9 is trash. racoons like trash, they would say the same thing

>'youre just not good at it!'
>'you just didnt understand it'

its yesteryears gta remaster
>>
>>8355651
I think this is a case of meme poisoning, old boomers meme'd this area because JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE was funny and young zoomers who never played the game thought it was actually infuriating.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUlxKCRhP88
Someone made a TUTORIAL
>>
>>8355756
The trick is not to time your jumps to the JUMP/SLIDE voice, but actually look out for the edge of platforms and the other end of the sliding tunnels so you jump as late as possible and slide as briefly as possible, all while holding left as much as you can so you'll have as much time as possible to see the jumps/slides coming up. Figured this shit out as a kid and to this day I'm surprised this meme still persists. Should I bother recording Frostman's stage?
>>
>>8355651
The only problem I had with these sections is that Megaman didn't jump right away when you pressed the button sometimes, but that was most likely a problem on my end since I was emulating.
>>
>>8355991
I noticed that there are some spots where the jump doesn't work because if you hold right on the d-pad while on a downard slope, the snowboard will get just enough speed to catch a little bit of air while going down the slope, and you can't jump while in the air for that fraction of a second.
>>
>>8353329
>luckily
You should be moving anyway. You move back and fourth to avoid the little rocks and then jump to avoid getting stunned by the boulder. That's probably the hardest mini boss in the game though.

You can use Rush Coil and Rush Jet to get through the magma section. Instead of experimenting after exhausting one option, you just got pissy and immediately resorted to grinding.

I won't say MM9 is perfect, but I think a lot of your complaints are just needing to get good and a stubbornness to adapt and try everything.
>>
>>8355756
I wonder if some of it has to do with the Anniversary Collection's input lag, too? I remember hearing emulation quality on that wasn't too good.
>>
>>8355756
https://clips.twitch.tv/HardVenomousPelicanRlyTho-Nes0MCxT0JM4gapY
>>
>>8354231
People assumed that Mend (maker of RM7FC work) work on this, but he really didnt, RM8FC was made by different folks and they keep constantly updating the games graphics occasionally, i was there, but never fixed things like Aquaman's atrocious tile backgrounds and they removed the vertical 4 way scrolling rooms, which makes me believe they build an engine that didnt compare to the one that Mend build.
>>
>>8356135
There's definitely enough input lag in the collection to be noticeable if you the games back to back with a less laggy option (NES or PS2)
>>
File: 639.png (226 KB, 412x414)
226 KB
226 KB PNG
Megaman 1 - 8 are all really solid games and I don't understand why 7 and 8 in particular make everyone seethe so much. They have some really tight controls and game play and are oozing with soul.
>>
>>8356358
They make people seethe because they are different. Half the shit people whine about with these games aren't even problems but they act like they're the 9/11 of the Mega Man franchise.
>>
File: upload.jpg (147 KB, 707x1024)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
Im buying my first megaman game on the NES and its a PAL version.
I have 2,3,4 on offer. 5 aswell but its crazy expensive.
Which one is the best?
>>
>>8356376
4. Best weapons, great level design, more polished than 2 and 3, more balanced than 5.
>>
>>8356383
I am actually considering getting all three now.
I have an option to get the 3 games for about 100€. Does it seem worth it?
>>
Is this why retro prices are so high? People literally spending hundreds of dollars on games they never even played before?
>>
>>8356503
That's way too expensive for those games. You're better off buying the Legacy Collection at that point or just emulating. If you really care that much about playing on real hardware I'd recommend just buying one of those games since prices are so jacked, but at the end of the day it's your money.
>>
>>8355761
>stay back when going through the segment normally
>push forward so you move to the front of screen when jumping over large pits
>move back after you land

Fuck me, it isn’t hard. I suck at MM and it took me, what, three tries at most? MM8 is the easiest game in the series that isn’t called 5. So either I’m underestimating myself or people are just parroting opinions
>>
>>8356170
Hasn’t he beaten battletoads without getting hit, why the fuck is he struggling with this
>>
>>8356503
No. Get the legacy collection and play the games there. Decide if you like them enough to start dropping serious money on them
>>
>>8356376
They’re all good games with different qualities

2:
>the internet will tell you it’s the best, but it’s not. It is the most popular game in the series for a reason though. Has some of the best chiptune music you’ll ever hear and fun bosses. Adds E-Tanks which allow you to heal on the fly but you need to find them in stages. Weapons are a mixed bag but the Metal Blade is infamous for breaking the game in half. There’s some annoying segments in levels but they can be circumvented if you’re prepared. US version adds an easy mode, so play that first if this is your first MM game

3:

>arguably better than 2. Has some of the best music in the series next to 3. Adds a slide to let you move faster and get through narrow spaces. Adds Rush who’ll boost you up, be used as a hoverboard or a submarine. Weapons are mixed. Some are useless or situational. The game is clearly unfinished however, and was rushed to meet deadlines so there’s some levels that are pretty barren, obvious filler and a ridiculously easy Wily Castle.

4:

>bit of an underdog game. Got pretty mixed reviews on release but people have warmed up to it a lot. Adds the charge shot which lets you charge Mega Man’s buster for a strong blast. Music isn’t as good as 2 or 3 but is by no means bad, it’s still great. Some levels can feel a bit long and have some annoying segments but it’s nothing game ruining. Introduces the twist of having two castles to go through. Weapons are pretty good. Bosses range from pretty tough to pathetically easy.

5:

>often seen as the weakest game in the original 6. The game is much easier than the ones before it, and you can breeze through it in like an hour and a half. Adds Beat the bird who can lock in on enemies and breaks the game. Boss designs are pretty weird and most of the weapons are fucking pathetic. The buster shot is absolutely overpowered in this game so you can beat every boss and enemy with just that. Still fun though
>>
>>8355218
Those similar situations are also just examples of bad game design. Which I guess makes 9's faults make a lot more sense as Inafune wanted nothing more than to make 2 over and over again.

>>8355230
>There's also nothing in mm9 that's as bs as the doc robot fights in 3.
There's nothing wrong with the doc robot fights in 3. I thought they were crazy and they filtered me as a kid, but when I beat 3 for the first time this year I cleared all of them no problem. 3 is also especially easy because they toss dozens of E-Tanks at you. The real bad design in 3 comes from gimmick rush jet sequences because the energy pickups don't respawn.
>>
>>8356606
Something about 8 filters the fuck out of people for no good reason. I remember some retard on YouTube dropping the game at Wily 1, claiming it was the hardest in the series because of no E-Tanks and snowboarding, and then going on to play through Bass just fine.
Like Bass isn't that hard, but how in the ever-loving fuck this dude made it through 1-7 and then quit on 8 for being too difficult is beyond me.
>>
>>8357121
It’s very bizarre. Even without the E-tanks, the game is ridiculously generous with continues. Every time you die, all your weapon energy gets refilled anyway, and if you’ve been collecting the bolts you can negate some damage and get around easier. True, there’s some tricky segments but it’s absolutely significantly easier than some of the shit on the NES.
>>
>>8357981
I'm pretty sure the reason behind this is because they intended weapons to be used against the SHMUP boss in the wily castle; so every time you die you get everything refilled

What I hate the most is that everything is refilled at every loading time including mid way through stages. That shit is just awful
>>
>>8357981
The funniest thing about people complaining there's no E-Tanks is that you get a Rush ability that will refill all your health and weapons, and the Rush abilities all refill the same as weapons do when you die.
The random Rush ability can also potentially give you some health if you really need it, or it can even rarely drop a Yashichi.
>>
>>8348221
how is 9 bad? this doesn't make sense
>>
>>8344806
No, 7 is the best one. It's the most interesting game to play and has the most collectibles, plus it's challenging in some segments, unlike 4-6.
9 would have been the best if Superhero actually changed the boss AI instead of keeping the pathetic bosses that are in Normal.
>>
>>8358963
>Both Rush abilities can only be used once per stage.
>Rush Surprise: If Rush gets hit before he can deliver the item, you don't get anything from him. There's also the chance that he won't give you anything anyway
>Rush Health: If there's a ceiling above you, the item drops will likely get stuck in it and leave you with nothing.
You're better off just losing a life most of the time. Even if you hit a Game Over, you can choose Continue and remain at the stage's checkpoint/boss door with absolutely no penalty.
>>
>>8359547
The abilities aren't once per stage, they're once per life. Also the only fight I can think of where the health drops get stuck in the ceiling is the Wily 1 boss, nothing else has a low enough ceiling for that to be an issue.
>>
What is the best way to play Mega Man 8? I heard Saturn version had some exclusive content, are there any good Saturn emulators?
>>
>>8360810
Saturn just has two extra bosses from previous games which is not that special all things considered.
>>
>>8360810
Saturn. There’s few changes besides two bonus bosses and an (arguably better) BGM for Tengu Man. The only other major difference is the standard Saturn transparency mesh stuff
>>
>>8344806
>yearly replay
yikes
>>
>>8344806
>yearly replay
Based
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (670 KB, 727x818)
670 KB
670 KB JPG
>>8346328
Between the 6 NES games and 5 GB games, there were 11 main classic series platformers out before the first X. While all of the GB games are on the shorter side, that's still a fucking LOT of Mega Man.
>>
>>8363625
MM6 on NES and MM4 and 5 on GB came out after X
>>
>>8355651
I could see casual people having trouble with this, but we're on fucking 4chan of all places. It should take people here 2 or 3 tries at worst.
Jesus christ some of you folks really need to get good.

MM8 is fucking based by the way.
>>
>>8363798
people here aren't good at video games. what gave you that impression?
>>
>>8355756
this, it's just millennial ecelebs with the obnoxious mtv personality
>>
>>8363625
>>8363629
Japanese release dates are as follows:

>1,FC... 1987, December 17

>2,FC... 1988, December 24

>3,FC... 1990, September 28

>i,GB... 1991, July 26
>4,FC... 1991, December 6
>ii,GB... 1991, December 20

>5,FC... 1992, December 4
>iii,GB... 1992, December 11

>iv,GB... 1993, October 29
>6,FC... 1993, November 5
>X1,SFC... 1993, December 17

>v,GB... 1994, July 22
>>
>>8364057
Except that Mega Man X came out in the US first. MM6 and MMIV GB still came out after X, got it wrong with MMV GB though
>>
>>8364057
I think you forgot one, anon
>>
>>8355651
Everybody complaining about this section needs to take folic acid; as in they are fucking fetuses. That part and Guts Man's lifts were equally difficult for me.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.