[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: n64controller.jpg (182 KB, 1500x1125)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
Why do I love the N64 so much despite the objective fact it's a worse console than the PS1? Is it literally JUST nostalgia, or does Nintendo have some inexplicable magic to them and their games?
>>
i really like the zelda games so much. playstation just doesnt compare.
>>
>>8234994
This, OoT is better than any game on the PSX in my honest opinion.
>>
>>8234990
>>8234994
>>8234997
PS1 library absolutely dwarfs N64's in quality, quantity, and variety. Anyone who says otherwise is just suffering from nostalgia delusion.
>>
>>8235008
PS1 is quantity > quality
>>
>>8235008
why is it always sony fans that try to assert like this
We're not even allowed to talk about n64.
>>
>>8234990
Amazing first and second party support. (Though PS1 had this too)
Analogue stick meant 3D space felt more intuitive to play, not an afterthought like dualshock.
You could scratch a disc to unplayability as a kid, the N64 carts were nearly indestructible.
3D overall looked better on N64 (in my opinion at least), and it was capable of rendering larger play areas.
Small cartridge space meant whatever audio they included had to be charming.
Four controller ports standard meant this was the console you played with friends.
Many instances of N64 ports looking superior than PS1 (many instances of the opposite too).

It isn’t pure nostalgia but don’t be a nintentard.
>>
>>8234990
>than the PS1
its worse than pretty much any console, ever
>>
>>8235012
>we’re not allowed
shouldnt be, anyway
>>
>>8235012
there were plenty of normal PS owners (a lot got it for sports games and tekken) but the majority who post here I suspect were the subset who had no friends, while the 64 was the 'friends hanging out' console.
>>
>>8234990
You know what really flies under the radar? The fact that it's silent. It may even be the last silent console. I think to me unconsciously something about the silent/solid state/instant start defined a game console as opposed to like computers, generic media devices.
Thinking about it it seems pathetic that to this day people are putting up with fans whirring even after disks are gone. As opposed to the crispness of switching on on and it's just a red power light and the logo up on the screen
>>
>>8234990
>strong first party titles (Mario Kart 64, Mario 64, Zelda OoT/MM)
>some comparably strong second-party titles (Rare's Goldeneye, Banjo-Kazooie, etc.)
>even some third-party (RE2)
>cartridges/no load times
>analog stick properly used unlike the dualshock before later gens
Those were my reasons as a kid, though older now I see how great the PSX library was too. My summary is I think the N64 was carried by first-party Nintendo exclusives, where consumers bought rando games as an afterthought. PSX consumers definitely had more variety in choice, though the quality of those games widely varied depending on your taste.
>>
>>8235012
Nintendo's fanbase has been notoriously annoying for like thirty years, anon. People are just used to ignoring their takes or considering them childish.
Don't get me wrong, a lot of Ninty fanboy takes ARE childish.
>>
>>8235059
soulful anon
>>
>>8235059
i miss silent consoles. i feel live PCs have gotten louder too.
You know what I miss?
SMALL consoles. PS5 is so fucking huge. everything is so big.
Consoles should be cheap, small, silent, and load roms incredibly quickly.
But i guess everythings gotta be 'pushing' as hard as possible or PC people will make fun of them or something
dedicated gaming machines were so cool. everythings just off the shelf pc and is made to be as generic a media center as possible
>>
I think having an N64 as a first console set me up with strange expectations for what video games were going to be, which is part of why I became increasingly disillusioned with them. That's not even to say it's the best console of all time(that's the GBA), there's just something very unique about the whole feel of it.
>>
>>8235065
All fanboy takes are childish, because being a fanboy is childish.
>>
>>8235158
maybe this is whats wrong with me too. later consoles just didnt measure up...not that they were bad. but they went for different things
>>
>>8234990
In generla N64 games have a very different look and feel. N64 devs seemed to be comfortable making toon games for kids. PS devs often tried way to hard to make games for the too cool for school crowd, which frequently resulted in unfun eye cancer that aged like milk. And the sheer volume of garbage and shovelware on the PS1 can make it tedius to explore.
>>
>>8234990
Personally?
I like the few games the N64 has a lot and some of them are very unique and similiar games aren't on other consoles.
I also like N64 graphics more than PS1 graphics.

A little nostalgia too of course, things like the memories of playing the awesome multiplayer games with friends etc. which the PS1 didn't have.
Mario Party, Pokemon Stadium, Bomberman, Smash, Mario Kart etc. were super fun especially with 4 people.
>>
Falseflag console warring is not as smart as you think it is.
>>
>>8235059
Yeah, this really is an underrated aspect of the Nintendo 64. I still prefer the PlayStation's library, but the instantaneous bootup and built-in multitap have made the console worth owning to me. There are way fewer N64 games I would care to play but they're all pretty exceptional.
>>
>>8234990
Pro-Tip: Never start a thread about a console while implying it's status among other consoles. You will almost always start console war faggotry.
>>
>>8234994
Yeah, N64 has amazing games like Mario and Zelda. The list goes on.
>>
It has some classic games many of which were multiplayer staples of the day.
>>
>>8234990
I was raised with the N64, and never really played PS1 that much until I finally got a laptop for emulation.

Though I of course have a ton of nostalgia for the N64... I wish that I had the PS1 instead. I play ps1 FAR more than n64, these days. When I do play N64, it's only for the rasslin games, or pilotwings 64, which is just pure nostalgia.
>>
>>8234990
>the objective fact it's a worse console than the PS1?
you have to be genuinely retarded to think that
>>
>>8236573
The list needn't go on. Those two kick the shit out of anything that tried to do something similar on the Playstaion.
The Playstation has other amazing games in other genres, though.
>>
Unless you were a richfag, the N64 was the better console to own during that generation. I had 13 N64 games--you'd have to have twice as many ps1 games to match the endless fun games like Goldeneye and Mario Kart offered. Now that you can emulate entire libraries, sure, the PS1 is better today.
>>
>>8234990
It's the soul, anon.
>>8235010
This too.
>>
>>8234990
It's pure nostalgia, the n64 was my first console and I love a lot of the games on the system.
But it just doesn't compare to the ps1.
>>
>>8235059
>instantly turns on
>no loading screens
>could be put in poorly ventilated entertainment centers that years later overheated my backwards compatible PS3
>didn’t have to worry about my retarded younger brother scratching discs
>4P games to play with my many childhood friends (gaystation owners can’t relate)

Ah yes, those were the good old days. BTW anyone sick of this exact same flamewar thread being made every day? Why do PS1 owners still seethe to this day? Us Nintenbros literally don’t care if people enjoyed the other consoles but gaystationers are obsessed. Who cares if we had 30 games worth playing, at least people actually played them.
>>
love me wave race
simple as
>>
>>8234997
>do a 180 turn in Zelda
>swerve to the side for some reason

>do it in Crash Bandicoot
>actually turn 180
>>
>>8240159
what are you even talking about? cant be replicated on my machine
>>
>>8235059
i wonder what the best hardware you can get nowadays that you dont need any fans to cool or some insane heatsink
i wish video game consoles could be VIDEO GAME CONSOLES again instead of media centers
unironically fuck sony
>>
>>8234990
N64's good games really shine. too bad the library as a whole is a wet shit compared to the PSX library
>>
>>8240154
>he doesn't own both consoles
ngmi
>>
>>8240246
im not a hoarder type
>>
>>8240249
It's called having the best of both worlds, while your seething over ps1 games, I'm playing both mario kart 64 and Ridge racer type 4
>>
>>8240250
im not seething what? im just enjoying my games dude. chill out. beijing style
>>
>>8240256
n-no...
you're not allowed to have fun unless you have every console!!!!!
STOP.....
STOP HAVING FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>8240267
A pizza?
Of the cheese variety?
What are you implying...
>>
>>8240275
>get that controller slick with grease
Are you insane?
>>
>>8240285
b-but there isn't a rule against doing any of that...
>>
>>8240301
Absolute non-statement there
>>
>>8240312
By eating pizza and playing video games?
Way ahead of you bro.
>>
>>8240285
Are we still talking about videogames
>>
PURAAZUMAAAA
>>
File: images (9).jpg (25 KB, 575x533)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>8234990
The N64 had something that made it appealing in spite of his many flaws, it was a happy accident, the game cube is debatable tough.
>>
>>8235158
>>8235161
Everyone feels this way about their first console.
>>
>>8235012
They are scourge across all gaming boards across the internet, they don’t actually like playing games and they especially don’t like you enjoying games
>>
>>8240526
>>
>>8234990
N64 was about innovation and moving gaming forward. That is how N64 has so many 10/10 titles that every other console tried to copy later. PS1 is the opposite, that console was all about marketing and product construction for maximum sales. Sony loves money while Nintendo loves games. In the end Sony won that generation because of how deep pockets they had. But im still glad we got the N64 the way we did, its the best console of all time.
>>
>>8240751
They both had great games and I will never understand why people are still console warring today, especially when they are both easily accessible for cheap
>>
>>8240751
On how many levels of COPE are you on? The PSX debuted in 94 and offered fast 3d graphics unlike anything on the market. You whole post reads like something a marketer would say. And the line about Sony loving money yet having the cheapest licensee and offering the biggest profit margins for the devs compared to nintendo is the most pathetic thing I've seen. Not to mention how top nintendo executives insulted gamers for liking specific geners just because said geners not being represented on their system?
>>
>>8240249
>owning two consoles is hoarding
not even close
>>
>>8234990
>objective fact it's a worse console than the PS1

I will never understand this. Yes I owned an N64 growing up, and so maybe I am a bit biased and you are right it may be nostalgia.

But anytime I played PS1, going to a friends or cousins house, it was a jagged blob of puke mess on the screen, coupled with the fact everything was twitching and moving. I remember as a kid thinking although the ps1 had a few good games, it was generally trash.
>>
>>8240760
because sony is a soulless company that ruined gaming and bullied sega and nintendo through sheer force of outside money they did not earn from video games. sony never did anything to push video games forward, they only ever played 'me too!'
Sony's products were cheap and poorly made. they are very unreliable. I have hundreds of pounds of broken playstations.
>>
File: IMG_20210318_225049278.jpg (2.31 MB, 4032x3024)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB JPG
I grew up with a NES in the house and got a SNES for Christmas. I would also go to the arcade a ton and play fighting games. As soon as I saw Street Fighter Alpha, my cousin got the Saturn and me a PS1 to play it. I also got Puzzle Fighter and Rayman. By the time Gran Turismo came out, it was having trouble reading discs.

My folks got me a N64 to replace it but I eventually managed to "fix" it by playing it on its side. By the time 98 rolled out I got MGS1 and OOT. It was amazing. Both consoles have great games. OOT is 10/10 on it's own, but PS1 has a shit ton of 8/10 games.

So you can say it's quality over quantity. But PS1's quality wasn't very low and it definitely had a shit ton more games.
>>
>>8235012
I bought a n64 on launch. While I played it a lot once I got a Dreamcast there was no reason to ever play it again. Oh and PSX and Saturn are far superior consoles to n64. Why do you Nintendo fans try to accuse everyone of console waring when its just facts.
>>
>>8243727
based. yeah man the n64 was great. happy you liked it.
>>
>>8240751
Very based
>>
File: mmm.jpg (7 KB, 222x227)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>8243727
>I bought a n64 on launch. While I played it a lot once I got a Dreamcast there was no reason to ever play it again
The Dreamcast never had an action-adventure game better than Ocarina of Time
The Dreamcast never had a racing game better than Mario Kart 64
The Dreamcast never had a 3D platformer better than Super Mario 64
The Dreamcast never had a party game better than Mario Party 2
The Dreamcast never had an RPG better than Paper Mario
Sounds like you made a mistake
>>
>>8243912
>action-adventure
OoT is a very low bar to set, DC has Shenmue, Soul Reaver, Berserk, Tomb Raider
>racing
Metropolis Street Racer, Tokyo Extreme Racer
>3D platformer
Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2
>Party game
Power Stone, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Worms World Party, Samba de Amigo
>RPG
Phantasy Star Online, Skies of Arcadia
>>
>>8244006
kek, imagine actually believing this
>>
>>8241981
Should have spent all that money on therapy schizo.
>>
>>8234990
I’d say Nintendo obviously had the upper hand with platformers, stuff like Zelda as well as better frame rate and stability, but they kind of faltered everywhere else in all honesty. RPGs were nigh none existent or awful unless you’re going to count Ogre Battle 64, racing games were great but the Saturn and PSX had the upper hand there, same with fighting games. In all cases bar a few, it had the worst ports too. But it’s a very soulful console, with a lot of amazing games on it. It might be nostalgia sure but there’s also a lot of magic
>>
>>8244078
the racing games thing is very debatable anon. i wouldnt use strong words like upper hand. all the consoles brought great competition to that genre
>>
>>8244083
That’s true yeah, I shouldn’t be so objective about it. I mean more Saturn and PlayStation were more arcade port heavy with stuff liek Daytona, Ridge Racer, GT. and these were like WELL KNOWN titles too. Obviously thr N64 wasn’t entirely mascot racing games cause they had stuff like Excitebike and Wave Race, but there was a rapidly growing market for more realistic stuff/arcade quality ports which the Saturn and PlayStation had the edge on
>>
>>8244056
which parts do you take issue with
>>
>>8235059
i agree silent cart loaders are very cool but i also have certain fondness for ps1 search sounds the reader makes. maybe ps2 too since the fan isnt too loud on those.
>>
>>8235034
>its worse than pretty
School has failed you.
>>
>>8234990
inexplicable magic
>>
>>8234990
N64 trumps ps1 because it had bettet games to play with friends. 4 controller inputs meant 4 players.
Ps1 had 2.
I still think cartridges are more durable (sure ps1 had black coated discs) but cartridges are impossible to destroy.
>>
Anybody manage to get one? Excited to get mine.
>>
>>8234990
Maybe you have some kind of unexplainable brain damage?

N64 kind of sucked except for a few racing games and bomberman
>>
>>8246460
Lol no

Extreme cope right here
>>
>>8246508
>he didn't have friends
>>
>>8234990
Maybe it's the same reason that you love sucking on enlarged erections and sticking that dildo controller in your butthole

Lol
>>
>>8234990
The N64 may have only a handful of games, but those games shaped the entirety of our gaming culture, your attachment is totally justifiable, but it is important to notice how the ps1 is equally important, as long as you are conscious of this reality, you're ok in your personal preferences
>>
>>8246536
5 games at the most

Ps1 and sega saturn destroyed it in fun factor alone (plus the controller)
>>
>>8246551
I disagree. i like the n64 games more.
>>
>>8244202
not him but >>8243912
I don't agree with any of your points
>OoT is a very low bar to set, DC has Shenmue, Soul Reaver, Berserk, Tomb Raider
I don't think any of these are better than OoT
>Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2
If you think either of these are better than Super Mario 64, you are either an idiot or a zoomer. Pick one
>bunch of games that aren't party games
Sure let's just change the definition of party game
>Phantasy Star Online, Skies of Arcadia
I don't think these are better than Paper Mario
>>
>>8246630
This is a n64 fan falseflag by the way guys. I shouldn't have to say this. Please don't feed this troll
>>
>>8246638
Why do you like to slurp up cock, my man?
I don't even know what would be controversial about saying OoT is better than Tomb Raider, that SM64 is better than SA1, or that Paper Mario is better than PSO. Those just seem obvious to me personally
>>
>>8246654
OK.
>>
>>8246665
Sega fanboys are delusional
>>
>>8246638
I think your a false flag false flagging a real post. Is calling Mario 64 better then sonic adventure really unbelievable to you?
>>
>>8246508
4 player goldeneye and mk64 trumps boring 2 player games.
The popular kids here will know what im talking about, i wouldnt expect you losers who play alone to know what i mean
>>
>>8239753
The 64 was definitely the most expensive console to own.
>>
>>8246481
I'm waiting to see tear downs of it.
>>
>anons pretending not to own/play all consoles
It's like 60% of posting on this board
>>
>>8241981
Sony only exists because Nintendo was greedy and cut throat - how dumb are you son
>>
>>8248781
Sony backstabbed Nintendo and stole their tech
>>
It has the better fps.
>>
>>8234990
N64
>quality first party support
>cartridges make them hard to break, and allowed for little to no load times
>four controller ports made four-player party games like mario party and goldeneye a staple on the system
however
>shitty controller
>no backwards compatibility
>cartidges couldn't hold as much as CDs, making lots of PS1 games hard to or impossible to port over
>cartridges made music lower quality as well
>very little in terms of strategy games, RPGs, or FPSs, minus a few standout titles

PS1
>biggest library of games at the time
>VERY strong 3rd party support
>CDs allowed for more storage and better music
>having the ps1 double as a cd player made it go into alot of homes as a CD player first, console first (same thing happened with ps2 and dvds)
>lots of nintendo 3rd parties from SNES-era jumped ship (castlevania, final fantasy, dragon warrior, etc.)
>decent arcade ports (not as good as saturn)
>backwards compatibility on the ps2
however
>CDs were very fragile
>load times
>dualshock felt like a afterthought
>two controller ports made four player action on games more difficult
>memory cards required for all games

take your pick, i might've missed a few points
>>
>>8248785
Delusional, it was the other way around
>"But behind the scenes, all was not well. Since agreeing to the alliance, Nintendo had become increasingly nervous about Sony’s intentions, fearing that it wanted to use the project to muscle in on the games business. Nintendo’s paranoia was justified. Ken Kutaragi, the Sony engineer who initiated the whole project, saw the partnership as the first step to achieving his dream of getting Sony to start making game consoles."

>"Suspecting as much, Nintendo decided to strike first. The day after Sony gave its announcement, Nintendo announced it was dropping Sony and was now working with its Dutch rival Philips instead. "

>"Sony was shocked at the public humiliation Nintendo had inflicted on it. But if Nintendo had hoped to push Sony out of the games business the move backfired."
>>
File: 1528054751670.gif (1009 KB, 213x255)
1009 KB
1009 KB GIF
>>8243727
>Saturn
literally no one owned one of these. no one. you had a ps1 if you were older or like jrpgs. you had an n64 if you were younger or had a bunch of friends. you had both if your family had some money... but no one had a saturn. it was the shitheap of that generation.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.