[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dark designs chart.png (42 KB, 573x211)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
Why was John Carmack still making these "Dark Design" Wizardry/Ultima clones on the Apple II for Softdisk even after Doom and Doom 2 had brought id Software astronomical levels of success?
If these games were so successful enough that it warranted a total of six of them to be made, then why has nobody even heard of them?
What the hell sort of person was still even using an Apple II in 1994?
>>
I don't care, anon. Think of a more entertaining thread next time.
>>
>>8234191
Cause he was fond of it and it still had a fanbase? Also imagine whining about people using old hardware on a retro board.
>>
File: screen.png (191 KB, 1580x606)
191 KB
191 KB PNG
>>8234191
on that page, literally right above the chart you screenshotted, it says he had nothing to do with the second triad besides the company reusing his engine
dumb bitch
>>
File: Apple_iie.jpg (113 KB, 600x800)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>8234191
>What the hell sort of person was still even using an Apple II in 1994?
7-year-old me, in the elementary school library. They had "IIe"s, I think, complete with green monochrome monitors.
>>
>>8234289
My elementary was still using Apple IIs in '97. I was in 5th grade.
Sabotage was so fuckin cash
>>
>>8234191
john carmack liked RPGs much more than shooters. he continued to make them long after doom and even worked on doom RPG
doom and quake were pitched as RPGs actually but romero didn't think an FPS RPG would be any fun and he was right
>>
>>8234383
You sure? I always read it was the other way around, Romero wanted to implement RPG elements in the games, for example with Quake, but Carmack wanted to just create an FPS. That's why Romero later collaberated with the Raven guys, assisting them with Hexen and Hexen 2 which did have some basic RPG.
>>
>>8234191
Either for the fun of it, or because they still had that contractual obligation going. Softdisk must have been running on fucking fumes by 1994 though.

>What the hell sort of person was still even using an Apple II in 1994?
You'd be surprised, there were unfortunate fucks still rocking ZX Spectrum computers by the early 90s. Of course, a small and ever shrinking demographic, which is why things like these came to an end. 94 is surprisingly late though.

>>8234217
Oh, so it was just Softdisk's lone deathrattles, and OP is retarded.
>>
>>8234383
Romero wanted Quake to be an RPG, and you can see that reflected in Dai-Katana being an FPS action RPG. Quake being a more straightforward shooter was against his wishes (though at least partially his fault).

Doom wasn't meant to be an RPG, it was meant to be an action game, but various elements were stripped out of the game during development because Romero and Carmack were more interested in showing off how fast paced the game was, with its fast and cutting edge 3D engine. Stuff like cutscenes, non-enemy characters, going back and forth between maps with hubs and what not, and an inventory system. A lot of that stuff was pushed for by Tom, and initially because things like that were requested from him, but people changed their minds.
A bunch of the stuff which was cut from Doom can be seen later in Rise Of The Triad, which in no shape or form is an RPG.
>>
>>8234383
Romero is the one who wanted Quake to be an RPG you retarded revisionist faggot
>>
John Carmack's a weird one..

>hey lets make a squad based Aliens like game!
>Neh lets make it a straight forward fps with a very tiny story

>Hey lets make a 3D rpg called quake!
>neh lets make it a straight forward fps with a very tiny story

>codes RPGs for Apple II on the side

Romero wanted to bring rpgs into the next millennium, Carmack wanted brain dead fps.
>>
>>8234195
we at 4channel, inc. would like to apologize to you personally for your dissatisfaction with your experience here. We are truly sorry and next time will do a better job at tailoring a user experience suited just for you.
>>
Probably contractual obligation leftovers from their softdisk partnership.
It's importantly to note that they outsourced all of that work to another company. I forget the name, but it was the guy who taught the Id guys how to shareware
>>
>>8234383
Fucking idiot.

>>8235356
>>Hey lets make a 3D rpg called quake!
That was on Romero's insistence. The fact that it didn't can be blamed at least half on Romero's shitty work ethic at the time.

>>codes RPGs for Apple II on the side
Apparently not, see: >>8234217

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.