[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Best shmup ever
>>
It’s alright yeah
>>
i like the weapons
i do not like the EXP scoring
>>
>>8233086
I like cotton 2 and boomerang more, more fun punching through danmaku and using command inputs. Success games have all the ingenuity of treasure but with none of the gimmicks bloating the experience
>>
>>8233086
that's not 1942 anon...
>>
At least OP didn't say Ikaruga amirite
>>
>>8233553
i like them both. at least i can beat ikaruga
>>
>>8233086
Agreed. The genre usually bores me but I liked this one enough to 1CC it several times. It's actually one of my favorite games.
>>
>>8233941
The genre has advanced beyond boring move n shoot crap granpa was playing in the 80s, go try score play Ketsui or Gunbird 2 or Sokyugurentai
>>
>>8233950
>Sokyugurentai
I've played that one too. I'll get around to completing it for real one day, the last stage was filtering me from getting a 1CC a few months ago.
>>
>>8233956
it's really good and there's a nice guide on youtube by DMC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ5IlEHBJuY&
>>
>>8233086
If you meam STG for the SNES then yes.

Otherwose, no.
>>
>>8233116
That's ironic since the entire point of the weapons is to properly utilize them (chains, weapon bonuses, getting 100% destruction on bosses) to get points, and points translate to EXP.

The point is to master every situation through properly utilizing the weapons, which in turn makes the weapons stronger, which in turn makes it possible to play the later parts of the game. (try doing well or 100%ing bosses in the last levels without properly levelled up weapons, for instance)

Many people play it without knowing about chaining or how to fight bosses. (you can shoot the core of the boss and instantly win but you're depriving yourself by doing so.) It's not a conventional shmup and it can't be approached like one.

People should read guides and watch videos more, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPeHuCJntGM

(note this player does other things to rack up points as much as possible: he sometimes hugs close to bullets, being right next to a bullet bullet-hell style makes your score go up. Shooting enemies also makes your score go up for each shot which is why when his homing is weakest he shoots the drones at the beginning but doesn't kill them. He also does a "SECRET" Red - Blue - Yellow chain at the beginning. Chains can either be like this, or sticking to one color, which is usually red since red is the most common color of ship, followed by blue and yellow.)

I'm not really describing an optional way to approach the game, it's mindless if you don't play this way. You'll just be pushing through the stages and enemies pointlessly, going through lives and continues like they're disposable, especially at the end when you'll be severely underlevelled. The entire game is designed around being challenging because you have to pay attention to chaining and what you're doing with the weapons. (also, for every boss there's a specific weapon or two that gives weapon bonuses which spell a lot of points. A guide on GameFAQs tells you what they are.)
>>
It's got great style but is not that good as a score-focused shmup, even Treasure's CEO admitted he was reluctant to make the 360 port for that reason.
>>
>>8234027
It is about score, I don't know what you mean. The deeper challenge comes from trying to get the highest score possible, but even then you need to score points to power up your weapons at all. It couldn't be more about score.

Do you have a source for the Treasure CEO saying he was reluctant to make an Xbox 360 port for comparing it to other shmups? I'm not doubting it's true, but would like to see the context regardless.
>>
>>8234030
yeah. the full quote is "our games kinda suck and honestry anyone who prays them shourd feel embarrased" from Tarejaa himself, as reported in the Sydney Times
>>
>>8233086
I prefer this
>>
File: RAYSTORM.jpg (26 KB, 480x360)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>8233086
I like this one
>>
>>8234024
>I'm not really describing an optional way to approach the game, it's mindless if you don't play this way.
I wouldn't call it totally mindless, you can try surviving through the game without chaining or getting to high levels. Just surviving a long time against the bosses because you're not strong enough to kill them is still an entertaining challenge.

But yeah, you're right. The game is a lot more interesting after you start learning how it all works.
>>
>>8234245
I seriously hope you don't play DDP on Saturn
>>
>>8233086
>Saturn does what N64 and PSX can't
>>
>>8234798
Nope, I just like this art. Would seriously buy OG DDP scale models if they were made.
>>
>landscape vertical shooter
Why? If you don't want to make it portrait format then just make it a horizontal shooter.
>>
>>8234282
treasure was a company of people that both developed video games and were enthusiastic about video games. that's why there games are most enjoyable at high-level play, they were developed by high-level players
>>
Honestly once I practiced enough to get to stage 5 with a bunch of bonus lives, I realized it would be like twice the effort so far just to get the 1cc and put the game down.
The final boss is awesome but learning stage 5 looks like pure tedium, have any of you done it?
>>
For me it's the one with racing mechanics that I can never win a race and it's really fucking hard and the sprite work is amazing
>>
>>8236759
I haven't played for a while, last I remember I could get to Xiga (final boss) on 1 credit but couldn't beat him. Someday I'll come back and finish it.
>>
File: 1608300242373.jpg (104 KB, 1024x1024)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
If this is the designated shmup thread, what arcade sticks do you recommend?
I have an ls-32 and ls-40, and while they feel great for fighters, there just seems to be something lacking when it comes to playing shooters.
I enjoyed playing on a friend's Crown 309MJ Benylis awhile back, but the tension was a little to tight and the actuation was different than what I was used to. However, the rubber grommet felt so much better than a spring and made tap dodging and neutral positioning easier. So I was wondering, what are some good Korean levers that have a short throw, light tension, and actuation near the gate?
>>
>>8237723
>stick blabber about parts, upgrades and tension settings
damn I'm glad I use a good gamepad that lets me play without worries and micro-managements
>>
>>8237739
Nothing to really micromanage; most just find something they are comfortable with.
Some people just want to try different things or fine tune their sticks to their liking.
>>
>>8233086
more like most overrated shmup amirite
>>
>>8237739
ppl used to make comments like this in discussions about gaming mice. And about displays that went higher than 60Hz.
>>
>>8237939
it isn't even the most overrated shmup by treasure
>>
>>8239186
except it really doesn't matter here. all best in the west use whatever : keyboards, gamepads or sticks. and the best japs play on busted sticks on smoke stained cabs in dusty game centers. rest is cope. git gud.
>>
>>8239493
Peak nonplayer webm.
>>
>>8239493
IKARUGA
K
A
R
U
G
A
>>
>>8237723
>I have an ls-32 and ls-40
It's not the sticks then. It's you.
>>
>>8239493
None of the gay faggots who ever posted this webm even reached DOJBL 2-5. Both games are good anyway
>>
>>8236586
high level RSG is molasses slow boss milking witht the lightning gun
>>
File: firepower2000-1000x625w.jpg (95 KB, 1000x625)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
Back the fuck up
>>
>>8239614
Like I said, I enjoy using them in fighting games; the ls-32 is my go to for fighters. They just feel awkward when it comes to playing a shmup. I've been using them for nearly 6 years or so, and something still feels off.
>>
>>8233086
RSG is a weird game. Moment to moment, it's really stylish, the weapons are really fun to use, and the bosses are a lot of fun to fight.
However, the chain system is aggressively restrictive and you NEED it if you want to get anywhere in arcade mode because of weapon level up, the game is an extremely fucking long endurance run, and I genuinely have no idea how it got so popular because it's such a long and punishing game

if there's a vertical shmup I could play nonstop, it's fucking RayForce
and if we included horis, G-Darius is the king

>>8236824
Kingdom Grand Prix?
>>
File: 1625382526435.png (77 KB, 1000x1000)
77 KB
77 KB PNG
good morning

what u play?
>>
>>8233346
*BEEP* *BEEP*
*BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP*
>>
>>8247171
Played some OutZone earlier, got to second loop again, now I'm finishing off Final Fantasy IV. Just took out the 4 elemental archfiends, the CPU and now heading to last zone...I think? Should be the end game it definitely feels that way...hype!
>>
>>8247171
I save state practiced Dodonpachi st 5 boss for 10 minutes, that's enough for this week I think
>>
File: 1611679773466.jpg (11 KB, 225x225)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
good morning

what u listen to while shmupping?

for me it's this on repeat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWfiog1Ure4

absolutely mental and peak
>>
File: Spoiler Image (107 KB, 703x655)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
I did it!
Finished my shmup goal (Out Zone 3.1 million points) and jrpg goal (beat FFIV DS remake). Time to find 2 new games, any suggestions?

>>8250430
>absolutely mental and peak
really? try this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1keUIXDa4EE
>>
>>8239189
based and true
>>
>>8250440
based Jarponk&Shmooppilled

>>8233086
that would be Dondopachi Dai-Ou-Jou
>>
>>8250430
I listen to touhou OST
peak music
>>
>>8237723
ls-40 and ls-32 are the best ones
>>
>>8237739
have you changed the rubber domes and checked the latency on the game pad? also, what flavour of dpad, Nintendo, SEGA or another design? (Nintendo style is the most common)
>>
>>8250430
I don't k that style is but that's really awesome, know anymore like that?
>>
>>8235005
Yet they steal the ps controller design to make the ships.
>>
>>8236586
I played Ronald McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure when I was a kid and it's a surprisingly solid platformer with charm.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.