[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 35 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

I don't get the cult surrounding this game, it's seriously mediocre and not up to the standards of the best console run and guns.
>>
>>8140646
It isn't, it's just that Euros had nothing better to play so they didn't understand why enemies consisting of random junk flying around, restarting you at the beginning of a level when you die, and scrolling the screen the moment you move is a good idea.
>>
>>8140646
>not up to the standards of the best console run and guns.
and console run and guns are not up to the standards of arcade run and guns.
Who would have thought
>>
turrican is one of those uhmeeger games that is more interesting for its number of sprites on-screen than the game
there are some good turrican games though. super turrican 2 on snes is pretty awesome
>>
It and the sequel were a technical marvels on the C64 to the point where they're constantly one inch away from breaking apart.
>>
>>8140683
C64 Turrican gets some impressively high frame rates although it cheats a little to do this. Specifically the game has no music at all only sfx so that saves a lot of CPU cycles not having to drive a sound engine.
>>
>>8140646
I'd sooner play Mega Turrican over Gunstar Zeroes or Gaylien Soldier on the Mega. It's a much better shooter than either of those turds.
>>
>>8140696
>Specifically the game has no music at all
T2 fixed that, part time
>>
>>8140646
Run and gun? You mean like mindless shooter games like contra? It's not supposed to be like that, fool. It's about exploring, clearing areas methodically, finding secrets and resources, avoiding getting killed by enemies, and finding the level exit before the time runs out. And compared to literally every collectathon game I've ever played, Turrican has some of the best level design and gameplay loop.
>>
>>8140696
The lack of music had nothing to do with the frame rate. The C64 only has 3 channels, it's best to reserve them for sound effects.
>>
>>8140696
the programmer of MC Kids on C64 said that the game runs at like 20 fps because the retarded music guy used some SID tracker for the music that ate like half the CPU cycles
>>
File: outzone.jpg (687 KB, 1280x1793)
687 KB
687 KB JPG
How come top-down run 'n guns are so much better than sidescrolling ones?
>>
too bad Manfred Trenz ended up making nothing but trash shovelware and phone apps
>>
Call the police, I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>8140775
He's from my home town, Saarbrücken. I met Manfred at CeBIT 1998, 1999 and 2000. Super nice guy. Shortly after that his passion project Turrican 3D got canceled whenTHQ bought out Softgold. He was working on it since 1995, developing and upgrading the engine again and again. He envisioned the game world as open and massively large, with Turrican gaining new abilities over time to traverse the world and go to new places.
I think he never really got over it.
>>
mega turrican is the only good one and that's because theu got rid of most of the euro elements
>>
Wrong. It's essentially European at its core.
>>
>>8140852
he also did port of R-Type for C64 but they gave him 7 weeks to finish so he couldn't include a sprite multiplexer which limited the animation in the game. not the first time the game industry fucked him over.
>>
>>8140852
I met Manfred at a demo scene event in Cologne I think. The first Evoke in 2000. He looked just like the pics I've seen in ASM and Powerplay and he was super nice. I wasn't drinking like us madlads and eventually went home late at night, but I'm glad I had a beer with him.
>>
>>8140646
Your opinion. Had lots of fun with it.
>>
File: t2008.jpg (454 KB, 1049x1517)
454 KB
454 KB JPG
>>8140852
It almost feels like the IP is cursed or something ever since.
3D got fucked, the spiritual sequel Thornado never went past concept art, the 2008 reboot never saw the light of day outside of two gameplay test videos thanks to fucking Lair, etc.
>>
>>8140646
Because it looks cooler than mega man and is more fun to play too

So that's why
>>
>>8140860
the levels are big euro mazes but the core gameplay is aggressively contra (probotector?) meets metroid
it's a blend of a bunch of its contemporaries. maybe just what the developer liked playing
>>
if this game was made by Konami instead of Europeans it would be rated by you weeb fucks as an instant classic 10/10
>>
>>8140679
Console run n guns tend to be alright compared to arcade, it's not such an overwhelming advantage compared to other genres

>>8140745
>>8140915
If you like shooting inanimate objects and collecting gems we do have Gun Lord
>>
>>8140964
>Console run n guns tend to be alright compared to arcade,
And computer run n guns tend to be alright compared to consoles
>it's not such an overwhelming advantage compared to other genres
Bullshit. The only advantage arcades ever had over home systems are the technical side. The cabinet, graphics and sound. Genre doesn’t matter.
>>
>>8140646
The games have really fucking good soundtracks which helps make them even more fun.
>>
>>8140983
>And computer run n guns tend to be alright compared to consoles
Not really...

>Bullshit. The only advantage arcades ever had over home systems are the technical side.
Well that and the quality of games, hardware does not guarantee quality and in a eurotrash thread that should go without saying. I mean it's not like the SNES got a ton of great point and clicks, count your blessings. Apidya is better than any SNES shmup so there's something for Euros to brag or at least be slightly less ashamed about.
>>
>>8140964
>Console run n guns tend to be alright compared to arcade
Consoles are way better in terms of run and gun games. Arcade has some standouts like Metal Slug 1 and X, but the best run and guns are on console (Contra Hard Corps, Shattered Soldier, Alien Soldier)
>>
>>8141008
>Well that and the quality of games, hardware does not guarantee quality and in a eurotrash thread that should go without saying
Where the aim is to show off some cool tracker tune or sprite engine you did, never mind the actual game sucks cock.
>>
>>8140958
Ir bayou billy was made by bongs for some microcomp, you'd be sucking its dick endlesdly claiming it's a masterpiece.
>>
>>8140958
konami didn't imitate games without understanding them though
>>
>>8140646
>my subjective opinion is objective reality, apparently
>>8140669
>Euros had nothing better to play
You're an idiot. Yup, no one ever bought Sega consoles in Europe...
>>
File: file.png (421 KB, 662x416)
421 KB
421 KB PNG
At least the guy didn't look ultra-cringe in ST2
>>
>>8141102
>what is every single one Konami's belt scrollers being pale, shallow, gimmicky imitations of Final Fight
>>
>>8140646
It's simply the best.

https://youtu.be/wFtLGDywZlg?t=1123
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIKtVwFOTFs
>>
>>8140749
>The lack of music had nothing to do with the frame rate
it does because a fair amount of CPU will be spent on the sound engine. it wasn't until the Mega Drive that you had system with a separate sound CPU so the main one has all of its cycles free for the game logic.
>>
>>8140646
i'e always loved everything about turrican except the jank, needs a remake
>>
>>8141520
maybe save on some memory too by omitting music?
>>
>>8140764
>Only one stick for shooting and movement
>Death throws up a black screen to load placing you back 5 feet fucking up pacing

Not a fan.
>>
>>8141660
git gud
>>
>>8141660
i'm pretty sure most toaplan games respawn you on the spot if you're playing the american or european versions
>>
>>8140646
1 is meh, 2 is goat. Too late for you to understand it now. Great music, too.
>>
File: HURRICAN1.jpg (57 KB, 600x450)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
I'm not euro and I like it
It did had some jank in the level design department especially T1 but T2 is great and the 16 bit console games are as good as games from giant japanese studios

Also how many here have played Hurrican, the 2006 PC fan made spiritual sequel with amazing graphics and soundtrack?
https://www.winterworks.de/project/hurrican/
>>
>>8141520
>a fair amount of CPU will be spent on the sound engine
Not really, it was computationally cheap on the C64. Katakis, Enforcer, Shadow of the Beast, and R Type all had music playing all the time. The downside is they had little to no sfx. Turrican could've music playing too.

>>8141536
Music took up less than 0.5KB on Commando.
>>
>>8140964
>Console run n guns tend to be alright compared to arcade
Not with those infinitely respawning enemies.
>Gun Lord
That's a Turrican inspired game right?
>>
C64 scrolling is normally a bit chuggy compared to how it works on consoles because there isn't really a tile map just two off-screen rows ot tiles you can scroll before having to fetch the next two rows and VSP/line crunching lets you do something more like NES scrolling but nobody knew about that until C64's commercial lifespan was at its end. there are various cheat tricks like setting the color data so you don't have to move that (eg. in Thing on a Spring). but Trenz does pull off some really efficient scrolling considering it's not using VSP (nor did anyone know that trick yet when the game was made).
>>
>>8142354
I dled it but the music doesn't work.
>>
>>8140679
The best console run n guns are better than the best of arcade. The Contra series is unmatched, and its arcade entries aren't top notch. Metal Slug can't compete. Only Ghouls n Ghosts comes close
>>
>>8142394
There were plenty of smooth and fast scrolling games made in the 80s. Micropose Soccer, Parallax, Hawkeye, etc. They all used different techniques. C64 has plenty of RAM and support for a robust character based background image that practically functions the same as tiles in the NES. Scrolling is really efficient, and probably better than the NES without mapper chips.
>>
>>8142415
Contra is an overrated mindless run and gun game. Midnight Resistance pulled off that thing better, and it has a decent port on the C64.
>>
>>8141085
Its a shitty nes game, so not really. Its not well designed, doesnt look pretty, and didnt push any envelope.

>>8141102
How is turrican an imitation of anything? Its inspired by metroid, but didnt try to be anything like it at all.
>>
>>8142462
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2o3MzMAsBY

>better than contra

this looks retarded
>>
>>8142458
the NES has a couple of annoying limitations in the mapper hardware basically determining what you can and cannot do. without ASIC mapper you can only scroll in the axis you have mirroring set to or you'll get unsightly color artifacts and it's slower too since you have to update the tile map every row instead of every screen length. also there's no scanline IRQ until MMC3 and no multiple IRQs until advanced mapper from late in NES run like VRC6.

i mean, it's like...Boulder Dash on C64 and Atari 8-bit had 4 way scrolling+status bar in 1983-84 and NES couldn't do that until 6 years into its run.
>>
File: 279344563.jpg (35 KB, 680x517)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>8140669
this. It's the same as terranigma and seiken densetsu 3. They were never released in the US during the 16 bit era and so they myth built up and made the games seem better than they are. I'm not saying they're bad games, but they aren't all that great. I definitely understand why they weren't released in the US, and I say this as someone who grew up in the snes era and my favorite genre is snes rpgs
>>
>>8142525
It has a faster CPU, yes, though negated some by the fact that on any of the home computers you can fuck around with video memory and registers any time you want to while the PPU will throw a temper tantrum if you do anything during the active screen render.
>>
>>8140708
>gunstar zeroes
>gaylien soldier
and here's your (You), you earned it
>>
>>8142508
looks like Contra for babies
>>
>>8142557
the Master System at least isn't as picky. you can modify video RAM during active render at a lowered bitrate.
>>
>>8140669
>restarting you at the beginning of a level when you die
Have you even played the game?
>>
>>8140915
damn that poster is so sick.
>>
>>8140646
It was technically impressive for a c64/amiga game. That's all it was.
Manfred Trenz was an absolutely terrible game designer but he was a good programmer.
>>
>>8145339
I don't understand why everyone on /vr/ praises metroid, megaman, ninja gaiden, etc while hating on turrican. I think turrican is the most interesting and has the best exploration among them. Yes in my opinion even better than metroid, its faster, more action packed, and the levels have more freedom.
>>
>>8145353
Weebs is why. See >>8140958
>>
File: vomitchan yume nikki.jpg (110 KB, 680x680)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>8140745
>exploring
>time limit
These two don't mix together very well.
>>
>>8145383
the eternal skilllet
>>
File: DArmvP2XcAIbcVs.jpg (188 KB, 1062x594)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>8144274
All the leaked concept art was pretty sweet and I really like the little eastereggs here and there like the large piranha or the American boxart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utJY-y5Na6c
Could've been a pretty cool game and even the tech demo already looked pretty slick, kinda like MDK with parkour instead of gliding.
>>
File: DArmvQyXoAAVbyy.jpg (180 KB, 1206x594)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>>
File: DArmvQwXUAAlEjn.jpg (375 KB, 1826x913)
375 KB
375 KB JPG
>>
File: DArm1N5XoAI9uHp.jpg (300 KB, 1653x758)
300 KB
300 KB JPG
>>
File: DArnB-uWsAAGpMO.jpg (140 KB, 1145x595)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>>
File: DArnB93WsAQD3BE.jpg (265 KB, 1653x961)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
>>
>>8146626
>>8146629
I'm not a fan of the artstyle. I prefer the german industrial meets 80s mecha anime style of the original Turrican games. This one looks too modern and generic, like doom eternal or that platinum game /v/ won't shut up about.
>>
File: DArnB-9XkAE7Isw.jpg (337 KB, 1653x1070)
337 KB
337 KB JPG
>>
>>8146635
>lightly armored bald space marine turrican guy
Yikes.
>>
>>8146641
In a way it kinda reminds me of The Surge meets Cyberpunk.
The concept art for it went into quite a lot of directions, some of it kinda looked like what you'd expect from a Turrican game while others almost borders on the cancelled version of DOOM 2016.

https://www.unseen64.net/2009/05/27/project-c-factor-5-ps3-cancelled/
>>
>>8146654
>The Surge meets Cyberpunk
Sounds like nightmare.
>>
File: vamundlk.jpg (118 KB, 600x376)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>8146653
>lightly armored bald space marine turrican guy
>>
File: 1575323124408.jpg (26 KB, 360x358)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>8146623
>tfw it's always the passion projects that get cancelled

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.