[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dims.jpg (330 KB, 1600x1067)
330 KB
330 KB JPG
Generally, due to autism, I prefer to play games on original hardware.

The possible exception is GB(A). I have a nice CRT and Super Gameboy/Game Boy Player. What do you prefer, /vr/? Should I play my games on an SP or a TV?
>>
>>8139078
who cares? just play the games whichever way you like.
>>
muh pixel aspect ratio
>>
>>8139078
Super Gameboy
>>
>>8139078
>what do you prefer
I just emulate now out of pure convenience. Pretty sure the batteries in my carts are all dead by now anyway.
>Should I play my games on an SP or a TV? SP or TV?
SP. The Game Boy Player was neat for the time, but the games just look off slightly.
>>
I have played a few GBA games (emulated) on a big TV, but the games were designed for a handheld, and the proportions feel a bit off.
I've actually never had a GBA. Sometimes I play GBC or GBA games on a DSi, though. Works pretty well.
>>
Original GameBoy on the original GameBoy
GBC on a GBC
GBA on original model GBA
>>
>>8139469
based
>>
An unmodified original Super Game Boy runs at the wrong speed and displays the wrong aspect ratio. Just so you know.
>>
>>8139567
did you know that super mario bros 2 is actually a japanese game called doki doki panic?
>>
>>8139078
No point using a Gameboy player if you want a CRT since the output resolution of the Super Gameboy is stretched out from the original game's resolution, meaning on a CRT you will still see dithering as each pixel wi be represented with more colour information by the signal
>>
>>8139662
Why did you switch from game boy player to super game boy mid sentence
>>
>>8139109
What?
You know super game boy isn’t full screen right?
>>
>>8139737
That doesn't mean it has the correct display aspect ratio. Game Boy has a 1:1 pixel aspect ratio and SNES has a 4:5 pixel aspect ratio. The only way to achieve a correct display aspect ratio would be to scale the image, which the SGB doesn't do.
>>
>>8139754
*5:4
>>
>>8139078
gb(c) games are framebuffered on a gba
>>
>>8139759
Does that have any consequences except an extra frame of input lag?
>>
>>8139754
>>8139757
The resolution is correct in the frame, you could of course change your horizontal shift if your tv allows
>>
>>8139693
Same shit different anus
>>
>>8139881
but the gbp doesn't have the problem you complained about
>>
>>8139567
>An unmodified original Super Game Boy runs at the wrong speed and displays the wrong aspect ratio
>original
>wrong speed & ratio
wrong is only your thinking
>>
>>8140023
It's wrong compared to the Game Boy, dummy.
>>
>>8140025
>It's wrong compared to the Game Boy, dummy.
obviously not because Nintendo released it that way
>>
>>8140031
>nintendo can do no wrong
really?
>>
>>8140041
>>nintendo can do no wrong
>moving the goalposts
>really?
kys
>>
>>8140047
go learn what words mean
>>
>>8140049
>go learn what words mean
go learn how to kys
>>
Gameboy Player (GCN) with the homebrew disc that reduces input lag and removes video filters. Using a SNES controller. I also have the GCN components cable. I play all my GB/GBC/GBA games like this.
>>
>>8140252
what's the homebrew disc ? I've got the one that needs a special memory card and you gotta launch windwaker first
>>
>>8140258
if your gamecube is modchipped you can just burn swiss or even game boy interface to a disc
>>
>>8140258

https://www.retrorgb.com/gameboyinterface.html

We’re probably talking about the same one, I doubt there are two separate homebrew projects for the GB Player boot disc.
My GCN is modded btw, so I can burn homebrew to a disc and boot straight to it. I know booting homebrew from the Memory Card is possible on an unmodded GCN, but I prefer to boot straight to the thing I want to use. I hardly use my GCN for anything else anyway.
>>
>>8140262
>>8140286
Oh man I gotta burn this. That'd be convenient.
And it'll play all the games well
>>
File: spchads.png (169 KB, 513x600)
169 KB
169 KB PNG
>>8139078
You already know the answer, you just aren't willing to accept it.
>>
>>8140031
Is that why it's fixed in the SGB2, because it wasn't broken in the SGB1? wannabe-expert smartass LMAO
>>
>>8139903
Yes it does it's upscaled
>>
>>8142574
It isn't. With the stock disc it's filtered but it isn't scaled. With GBI you can have no filter or scaling.
>>
>>8142839
It outputs 480p
>>
>>8142852
Windowboxed.
>>
>>8142856
You want to see a 160p game squished into the centre of a 480p signal? Nigga just run it through your Wii so it can output at 240p or (I believe) lower
>>
>>8142916
>>8142856
On an emulator on the wii
>>
>>8142916
Well it is 2x NN scaled to 480x320 but NN scaling doesn't really make a difference to analog video save for no scanlines. That's a pretty good size. With GBI it doesn't even have to do that since it can also simply output 240p.
>>
File: 1631700373779.png (2.05 MB, 2048x678)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB PNG
>>8142920
I'm not talking about getting your pixels scaled properly, im talking about dithering. If you're not running it at native resolution then dithering will be visible on a CRT
For the record the main advantage of a CRT is in fact its sheer sloppiness (which was exploited in retro games for special effects like this)
>>
>>8142920
>>8143604
If you stretch the image (with or without the NN method) then the signal is getting more colour information with the same amount of detail. This will get your sharper pixels, which defeats the point of using a CRT
>>
>>8143614
>>8143604
>>8142920
Physics lesson:
CRT TV's have a raygun shooting photons at the screen in a straight line (a ray), which then get dragged and smeared to fill out the screen by the electromagnets in the screen's corners. This is analogue stuff here, so instead of sharply defined pixels, there is actually a range inbetween each pixel. With a higher resolution signal, that range between pixels is geometrically shorter since you have more pixels for the same distance. Thus, you get more clarity, but that defeats every advantage of retro gaming on a crt as the sonic waterfall shows
>>
>>8143632
>but that defeats every advantage of retro gaming on a crt as the sonic waterfall shows
The result is none of the advantages of a CRT but all of the disadvantages
>>
>>8143604
Blending dithered pixels has nothing to do with output resolution. That's done by the composite video encoder after digital-analog conversion.
>>
>>8141301
>Is that why it's fixed in the SGB2, because it wasn't broken in the SGB1?
The game boy was broken, because Nintendo released a game boy color?
>>
>>8143604
That effect is not because it is on a CRT. That affect is a byproduct of the composite video signal.
>>
>>8143632
>CRT TV's have a raygun shooting photons at the screen in a straight line (a ray)
you couldn't even get that right
>>
>>8143648
It's because of both of them, AV out on a LCD is night and day difference
>>
>>8143661
What do you think a cathode RAY tube is for? that's why the electromagnets have something to stretch
>>
>>8143663
You get the pixel blending either way.
>>
>>8143668
Nope it looks like ass on an LCD, not to mention the general colour bleeding you get from a CRT. My CRT broke halfway through a playthrough of Final Fantasy 9 I seen this shit firsthand
>>
>>8143670
>Nope it looks like ass on an LCD
nobody said it didn't but not in ways that have anything to do with dithering which was your claim
>>
>>8143664
Why don't you tell me why it's called a cathode ray? You may yet pass high school physics.
>>
>>8143676
>>8143670
The CRT one doesn't have jaggies on the bridge (colour blending?) and you get basically a HDR effect. I'm sure there's other things to spot
>>
>>8143679
Chode ray
Point is electromagnets
>>
>>8143681
>>8143636
Well I'll say you get the pseudo HDR shit as an advantage still
>>
>>8143670
Color bleeding happens regardless of the signal resolution. It happens because the cathode ray is badly focused, not because of any property of the signal.
>>
>>8143702
Apart from analog encoding cutting the chromiance bandwidth of course, but that's not relevant in the context of different framebuffer resolutions because it happens after DAC.
>>
>>8143702
It will still look sharper with a higher resolution signal
>>
>>8143702
But oi that colour bleeding, somebody to look at the iifa tree in final fantasy 9 on a CRT (specifically the bottom floor). It looks HD. when I switched to an LCD I saw heaps of artefacting that wasn't there before
>>
>>8143740
Sure but I don't know who's arguing against that.
>>
>>8143735
The only reason that might happen is due to missing scanlines. Having larger margins between lines does make graphics look less blocky. It also pairs nicely with color bleeding.
>>
>>8143748
How does it go missing nigga
>>
You need to play it on a super-twisted nematic LCD to get the real experience.
>>
>>8143642
yes, bitch

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.