[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: genesis-3button.jpg (241 KB, 1000x683)
241 KB
241 KB JPG
Do you prefer to use modern controllers like the DS4 for retro games or do you prefer to use original controllers or USB clones?
>>
I'm fine with modern controllers unless the original controller was so different that it doesn't map very well, like N64. Controllers with 6 face buttons are also very preferable for games designed for them, but modern 6 button controllers are pretty readily available e.g. Fighting Commander.
>>
Dual Shock covers a wide ground and I'm fine with it for a large amount of cases. But it doesn't cover everything very well. Like the Game Cube's soft-but-with-a-click trigger buttons, weird C-stick, and unusual button arrangement. Or a 3 or 6 face button controller. Never-mind something like a Wiimote.

DS4 is my bread and butter, but I'm glad I have a variety for the variety of native controller setups that are out there.
>>
File: w46uj.jpg (37 KB, 600x532)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>8138868
I use a DS4. Good weight, night retainers on the sticks, could tactile on the D-Pad, etc. I only like the NeoCD controller and this.
>>
>>8138868
I use a DS4 for everything. I've got most of my original controllers, but the "authentic" feel just isn't worth it for how much high quality usb adapters cost.
>>
>>8138909
>right analog stick as c buttons
it is this simple, retard, nintendo actually did this later with the c stick - even though its not exactly the same, it works fine in probably every game
>>
>>8138909
Why are you playing N64 games anyway, are you 7?
>>
A general purpose modern conrtoller (such as a DualShock 3) is fine for retro. If you really insist on having a dedicated controller without analog for 2D games, then the Saturn model 2 is good too, but not necessary. But insisting on playing each platform with its specific controller because "muh authenticity" is just pure autism.
>>
>>8138868
i dont care alongs its precise, responsive and comfortable.
>>
Each platform should use it's specific controller . The game was designed for it.
Besides, retro controllers are better than a fucking ds4
>>
As close to the original I can get, or a near equivalent. DS4 for PlayStation and games that have analogue (basically 64 and DC onward).
>>
>>8138868
don't really care but now I have everything real hardware I kinda love using original controllers
>>
A 360 controller with 6 normal face buttons and a good dpad would be perfect for emulating any major console.

Duke controlers do not have good dpads or normal face buttons.
>>
>>8139307
Plenty of games used the C buttons for something other than camera control, and then having it on the right stick is retarded. It is fine for MOST games, but having to remap controls per game is not necessary for most other controllers.
>>
>>8138868
XBone for 3D games. Not perfect but it gets the job done.
USB clone for 2D games
>>
>>8138868
I usually use a Gamecube controller. I just map Z+L or Z+R to mimic RB and LB.
>>
>>8138868
usually depends on my mood, but some controllers i really enjoy
i love a clacky genesis controller, but i dont mind using something else
>>
>>8138868
Original controllers or USB clones are the only way to truly enjoy retro games, of course. How the fuck are you going to completely immerse yourself in a retro game if you're using modern controllers?
>>
>>8138868
Modern controllers. I use a Hori Fighting Commander for most things.
>>
>>8141043
>How the fuck are you going to completely immerse
I don't have to pretend I'm back playing in the 80s and 90s. I can enjoy retro games on their own merits in 2021.

But anecdotally I didn't use the OEM controllers much "back in the day" anyway. I tended to buy a 3rd party controller and the OEM was relegated to player 2 or as a back-up. And I also started emulating in the year 2000 so I've spent far more time using non-OEM controllers now via emulation than I ever did playing on real hardware when it comes to fourth gen and earlier.
>>
DS4 has really hart to hit start and select buttons due to that bar thing in the center of the controller for no reason.
>>
>>8141071
Huh? I just measured my controllers, and start is 0.8" from the center of the face buttons, and select is 0.8" from the center of the dpad, while that distance with the Dualshock 1 and 2 is 1.2".
>>
>>8141107
On mine, at least, start and select are inset (hard to push) and seem to be placed where ever they could find space. On Dual Shock 2, start and select are central and work like traditional buttons.
>>
>>8141067
Those games were developed with the original controllers in mind, they were not meant to be played with a DS4.
>>
>>8141129
I don't care.
I've gone back and played fourth gen and earlier games with the OEM controllers when I bought flash carts and it was a downgrade from playing via emulation with modern controllers. I ended up reselling the flash carts and going back to emulation because I'd rather spend my money on something else when I can just emulate.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.