[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: the-dark-souls-of-ff.jpg (71 KB, 1024x623)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>
You’re supposed to wait for it to lower its tail.
>>
>>8136590
OP knows but he wanted to make a funny thread
>>
>>8136563
The funniest thing is that despite this being right at the start of the game, and even having a section in the manual telling you how to defeat it, mechanics like this are almost nowhere else to be found throughout the rest of the entire game.

You'd think they'd be more common, seeing as how you're given this tutorial-like primer on it, but no. There's only three or four instances of stuff like this in the whole game.
>>
File: blocks-your-path.png (252 KB, 438x381)
252 KB
252 KB PNG
>>8136642
It's even funnier how the idea is basically a do-over of the (also) first boss battles in the previous two games. I guess it was sort of traditional at that point.

What are some other examples of "strategic" battles in this FF or others? Most of the ones I can think of are the multi-part bosses in which you have to decide whether to destroy high-offense bits (which usually regenerate) or grit your teeth and focus fire on the main body.
>>
>>8136683
It's depressing how often they do that shit. It isn't even THAT hard to make more boss fights interesting. There's tons of romhacks that do that ffs.
>>
>>8136683
Whelk is a cute
>>
>>8136642
>>8136683
IV and V both do it too, it's just to show the ATB system to the player that enemies take their turn even if you don't take a turn, showing that you can do stuff like wait for an attack before using healing.
>>
>>8136563
was yesterday's thread not enough?
>>
Genuine question: if a character tells you the solution to a puzzle, is it a puzzle?
>>
>>8138604
to be fair, it can be really hard to differentiate between counter attacks and their triggers, and normal attacks
>>
>>8137428
Ok, but where's the tutorial that teaches you how to abuse the ATB system by changing battle speed and by timing attack animations that have high priority and large cast times?
>>
>not attacking it on purpose so you can see cool limit breaks
ISHYGDDT
>>
hey guys I never played a final fantasy before and only jrpg I ever played was persona 4. Never had a playstation nunna. Would you like to play ff7 with me? I found a copy at a local garage sale
>>
>>8138710
it's a treat. enjoy
>>
>>8138710
>>8138714
Does FF7 even have anything to offer for a modern internet audience when all of it's major events and twists are memes that everybody knows
>>
>>8139756
fun materia system, great music
>>
>>8136731
I hit the bottle hard every night to heal the wounds of not having the game packed full of gimmick battles that use the exact same gimmick as the first boss in the game. It absolutely kills me that they don't have more enemies that go into a counterattack mode and instead only have
>Air Buster splitting the party up and creating a different fight
>1v1 fights like with Rufus
>Split party fights like with Sephiroth
>Enemy that grabs a party member like the Crane fight
>Enemies that counterattack in a different way and can throw you out of the battle, like Midgard Zolom and Ruby
>Underwater battle with Emerald
>Boss with two heads where which one you kill first changes the second half of the fight
>Pagoda fights with Yuffie
>Fight where characters get trapped in a bubble or pyramid and you have to try and free them
And many, many more all in the same game. But, alas, I too like to pretend these don't exact and drink my woes away over the first scorpion boss not being every boss.
>>
>>8139756
even if you know the plot of a movie, it can still be fun to watch.
besides, is the only reason you play (watch?) video games for the plot? that's silly
>>
>>8136563
it was easy it even tells you when to attack.
>>
>>8139891
the point is that the mist dragon/ whelk/ scorpion mech use the ATB bar and nothing else does
the ATB bar also sucks and slows the game down dramatically
>>
>>8136683
Not really a tradition, it's just a very good way to train players in the ATB system.

FF7 Remake does the same thing. The scorpion boss requires every fundamental battle mechanic to defeat.
>>
>>8139756
You only know about Aeris, you can't possibly know anything else because even most people who played the game don't understand the whole story.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.