[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

It's a shame that belt scrollers that don't have some license attached tend to get overlooked by modern audiences. This shits all over stuff like TMNT/Turtles in Time when it comes to graphics, variety, sound, and gameplay
>>
Konami Beat'em Ups have always been 6/10 games carried by their license
>>
I wish it had a playable girl character
>>
what is up with all these different terms? i have only ever seen them here and they're so pointless since they're just more specific versions of already specific genres. belt scroller, scotformer, willyvania, etc. wtf? i thought it was just people screwing around at first but i just keep seeing them and no one acknowledges it, as though it's completely normal.
>>
>>8131317
belt scroller is a real thing. it's a beat em up where you can move into the foreground/ background as well as left/right and jumping/ falling. final fight, streets of rage and double dragon are belt scrool. ninja warriors is not
the rest are joke terms or insane gibberish
>>
>>8131317
Yeah, I never understood what's wrong with simply calling them Yo Contra El Barrio
>>
File: gilded-cleaver.gif (151 KB, 320x240)
151 KB
151 KB GIF
>>8131208
But everybody knows and cream their pants about Final Fight and Streets of Rage, what are you talking about? Plus, quite a bunch of the best-known and liked ones have very obscure licenses, like Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
>>
>>8131339
Basado
>>8131342
>tend to
>modern audiences
Sure, more hardcore gamers still love FF and SoR, but in terms of modern mainstream appeal, licensed titles seem to be front and center.
>>
I'm curious, is there any example of Beat em Up roster in which the female character isn't either the lightweight or the all-rounder?
>>
>>8131405
Good question. Can't think of any.
>>
>>8131208
>king of dragons
had fun getting a 1cc of that, I recommend the arcade version over snes though.
great game that gets overlooked cause of it's simplicity imo.
>>
>>8131962
Who did you use for the 1cc?
>>
>>8132065
dorf
>>
File: Why I Use Blaze.jpg (45 KB, 387x391)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>8131405
How about Sailor Moon? It's got five girls and they can't ALL be lightweights and all-rounders!
>>
>>8131405
>>
>>8132328
Sorry, bro. I know she is a muscle girl but I think she is the all-rounder of that game, between fragile, speedy elf and hulking grappler dwarf.
>>
>>8131317
>>8131317
D&D Mystaria is pretty much the only good Streets of Rage-like.
>>
>>8131229
Violent Storm is a 10/10 game
>>
>>8132876
t. someone who doesn't know bmups at all
>>
>>8131208

>Licensed
>TMNT
>Simpsons
>Alien Vs Predator
>Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
>X-Men

>Unlicensed
>Double Dragon
>Streets of Rage
>Final Fight
>Golden Axe
>River City Ransom

Doesn't seem like the unlicensed brawlers got overshadowed at all by the licensed ones.
>>
>>8133002
They're called side rolling punch mashers
>>
>>8133016
>Double Dragon
Double dragon sucks ass, man.
Well, so is TNMT so whatever.
>>
>>8133395
>Double dragon sucks ass, man.
why would you single out double dragon lol
4 of the games on that last are just mash attack, occasionally use super move. double dragon is speed chess by comparison
>>
In your opinion, what makes a beat'em up good or trash?
>>
>>8133954
character move variety, some rudimentary combo system, and enemies tailored around your moveset
you need enemies that e.g. always counter jump kick, so you need to approach from the ground instead.
>>
>>8132428
nah that's fighter
>>
>>8131405
Yaksha, probably the bull dyke in SoR4 DLC

Pink in Battle Circuit

and I think the Centaur lady from Golden Axe RoDA but I did not pick her much
>>
Konami and Capcom beat-'em-ups are well-regarded and still popular among aging millennials. This includes The King of Dragons.

>>8131317

Belt scroller is what they actually called beat-'em-ups in Japan. The rest are /vr/ in-jokes.
>>
>>8132997
9/10 at best because boss fights require cheesy strats. Non-boss segments (90% of the game) are perfection though.
>>
>>8138786
>Capcom beat-'em-ups are well-regarded and still popular among aging millennials.
well I can't think of a company that has better beat em ups than Capcom, they are #1 by a large margin
>>
>>8133992
Nah, the fighter is too defensive to be all round anything.
>>
>>8131208
>Licensed
>Capcom AD&D games
>Tenchi wo Kurau/Dynasty Wars series
>X-Men and other Marvlel properties arcade

>Unlicensed
>Ninja Gaiden arcade
>Guardian Heroes
>Captain Commando arcade
>Rushing Beat series
>River City Ransom
>ViolentStorm
>Vendetta

Legend of Mana reminds me of this style of game. Sure there are more but they're getting real obscure/bad at this point.
>>
>>8133954
Feels. It always comes down to feels.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7FUCEteb4c
Is this game as bad as the reviews it got at the time? Looks fun.
>>
>>8139291
Ok, those platforming parts look annoying as shit...
>>
File: 13-1.jpg (37 KB, 680x594)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>8133954
Just has to keep me on my toes and actively reacting, with little to no stuff that's up to luck. Can't think of any mandatory rules. KoD only has one move and it's great. Big combos are a meme.
>>
>>8138786
>Belt scroller is what they actually called beat-'em-ups in Japan
Sounds like a Lost In Translation issue, like the mitsubishi starion
>>
>>8139291
I played it when it first came out so my memories are fuzzy and my analytical skills weren't great but I fucking hated it. The game was designed to frustrate the player with the shoddiest aspects of its own design, like sending enemies at you from both directions constantly even though dealing with that was massively unfun. But hell, just emulate the damn thing if you want to try it.
>>
>>8131317
I feel you senpai, first time I've read this as well. Probably because it's not my genre.

I can't even tell if you read willyvania somewhere or just made it up.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.