[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 30 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1624011148344.jpg (151 KB, 400x300)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
About to play Super Metroid for the first time. Any tips? I know SM is meant to be filled with tons of secrets, how realistic is it to find most of these without a guide or a ton of trial and error?
>>
Son you're not getting through the game itself without a ton of trial and error. Maybe you should just not play it at all if you can't do it without someone else guiding you every step.
>>
>>7969305
you got problems
>>
>>7969283
>Any tips?
The only tip I can give you is that you should have fun with this amazing game
>>
>>7969325
He's right though. Going into Super Metroid blind means a lot of poking at walls and bombing shit to see where you can go. It can be tedious at times but that's the nature of the beast, and as you learn about how the game works you start to notice secrets quicker. You shouldn't be looking at guides unless you're totally stuck and have been stuck for a long time.
>>
>>7969283
If you’re stuck, use literally everything you have picked up so far, bombs, missiles etc, shoot fucking everything and have fun.

Oh and there is a run button
>>
>>7969283
>how realistic is it to find most of these without a guide or a ton of trial and error?
Very. Lategame you get an X-ray beam you can use to scan the environment for hidden stuff, at which point you can just go back to older areas and scan them for what you might have missed.
>>
I got like 86% completion on my first playthrough. You'll be fine.
>>
>>7969305
>>7969340
I don't know, guys. Samus's sprite and her beam "hitbox" is fucking huge, and the rooms are small. You just run around and shoot, easy. Once you get a super bomb you just spam that shit in every room. I literally had no problem getting full gear and most upgrades, I also had max HP.
Only had to use a guide twice when I got stuck in the lava biome at the very beginning and when I couldn't find the entrance to Maridia. Funny thing is, I tried destroying the glass with regular bombs and beams, didn't think about using a super bomb.
>>
There are a couple of powerups that are in stupid areas, but they're just minor things like missile upgrades. The vast majority are easy to find.
>>
use the run button all the time, makes the game a lot more fun
>>
The thing I learned about these kinds of games is to look for things if you enjoy it instead of mindless coomlection, you really don't need 10+ hearts to beat Ganon or whatever
Same reason I stopped achievement "hunting"
Also, OoT is amazing. I just wanted to say that
>>
>>7969283
No maps. No cheating whatsoever. Play 1 first, and 2 as well. Enjoy.
>>
>>7969283
I finished it without a guide a few years ago, I think it's more immersive if you go in blind
>>
>>7969283
>pic
>>>/v/
>>
WHERE THE FUCK ARE SUPER BOMBS
>>
just look up a youtube tutorial on how to wall jump when you get to the point in the game where they force you to do it, the in game explanation makes an otherwise manageable mechanic harder than it should be.
don't worry about getting every missle tank and energy upgrade unless you're an autist who likes 100%ing, the game is too easy even without min-maxing.
>>
>>7969978
have you got ice beam yet?
>>
>>7970086
Yep.
>>
File: OOBADOOBA.png (786 KB, 1216x910)
786 KB
786 KB PNG
>>7969283
>zoomers now old enough to not be pissing and shitting diapers and able to use their little fingies to type their stupid opinions online
>"HURR [OLD GAME] IS SO DUMB AND OVERRATED"

Nobody fucking asked you, faggot. Also your parents were fucking failures and I used to bully the shit out of your dad and regularly dumped cum down your mom's throat. I guarantee she still thinks about me. Fucking kill yourself, unformed faggot.
>>
File: 1624306890465.jpg (459 KB, 1920x1278)
459 KB
459 KB JPG
>>7969283
the only tip i'd give anyone is that there are a handful of places the scope doesn't work
>>
>>7970239
hint: red tower
>>
>>7969283
>power bomb the tube in maridia
>when you fall in the wall jump pit, the walljump works when samus's animation frame changes
>>
>>7969283
You'll be fine. It's not that hard.

- Make sure you know where your run button is. You are forced to use it after a while.

- There are many ways to discover when you need to use a tool to destroy a block. Regular bombs will reveal almost everything but have a small range. The x-ray visor has a bigger range, but its not guaranteed you'll find it. The power bombs will reveal a huge radius and are mandatory but they are limited use (but they drop from kills so nbd).

- In general, once you get the power bombs, use them on anything that looks even a little suspicious. Before you get the power bombs you can muddle through without finding many secrets.

- However there are a few places where you need to be observant, at least. Pay attention to the tiles. If one of the tiles looks a little out of place, try bombing or walking through it.

- The early part of the game doesn't let you fully explore areas. You will be shunted off every now and then with no way to get back to previous areas. Just go with the flow.

- At one point you will have to run through an area that causes your health to drain. Just try to get through it quickly.

- The map shows secrets. A circle on the map means there is a pickup in that area. A dot on the map means you've collected the secret. You can also reach every border of a map, so if the map doesn't show a border then there is something else there.

- If you are clever you can figure out some advanced movement tech like infinite bomb jumping or wall jumping, but the game never requires you to use these to progress.
>>
Why can't Metroid crawl?
>>
>>7969340
>You shouldn't be looking at guides unless you're totally stuck and have been stuck for a long time.
this. play metroid. discover it
>>
>>7969283
The genre has better games now.
>>
>>7972501
Not really.
>>
>>7972501
I've yet to find a game that matches metroid's environmental interaction and movement capabilities.
>>
>>7973751
Bombing tiles is literally the most tedious mechanic in the genre, but otherwise it's crazy how much the genre codifier absolutely nailed it.
>>
>>7969283
>Any tips?
you can sprint without a power up. failure to realize this will get you stuck.
>>
>>7969283
Play the romhack that makes the movement like Metroid Fusion.

The floaty jumping in this game is a nightmare.
>>
>>7974784
filtered
>>
File: 1604063941200.gif (143 KB, 700x500)
143 KB
143 KB GIF
>>7974784
>>
>>7969283
You don't need to get everything, and I recommend simply not trying to get the stuff that requires you to get really autistically perfect at using the dash jump
>>
>>7970304
It's because you dumb fucks hype up so many games to be 12/10 flawless masterpieces. Anyone playing them for the first time goes in with such expectations, which simply cannot be actually met, and that just leads to disappointment. This is why every time I recommend a game, even my absolute favorite ones, I always just say something like "yeah this game is pretty cool". Never "perfect". Never "flawless". Never "masterpiece". Those words only lead to unreasonable expectations.
Also, you clearly didn't read OP's actual post, which is frankly just embarrassing.
>>
>>7974784
I actually really like SMs jump, the only issue I guess I have is the timing is a little too tight for how long you should hold the jump if you just want a "medium" jump.
>>
>>7969283
If you want to collect everything before the endgame don't enter Tourian (final area under the boss statue)

There's a certain point where the game will lock you in a point of no return. Make sure you're willing to commit when you enter
>>
>>7975509
bad analogy, yurocucks drive stick because stick is cheaper and they're poor, simple as
>>
File: power bomb.png (14 KB, 579x70)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
>>7971446
reminder that Power Bombs act differently in Super Metroid compared to Fusion and Zero Mission
>>
You get an x-ray powerup to find secrets

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.