[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1602551593654.png (120 KB, 279x242)
120 KB
120 KB PNG
Still no PS1 port.
>>
>still no J2ME port
javabros we got too cocky
>>
I mean it's probably possible but IIRC all the SM64 ports are still sort of emulating the N64 gpu right? That's not gonna fly on a MIPS device.
>>
>>7968741
It got a homebrew port for the PS2.
>>
>>7968761
Nope, 100% off it's source code and both the N64 and PS1 use similar CPUs.
>>7968765
But not PS1.
>>
No port for a console that came 2 years prior than the console it was made for.
>>
>>7968774
That won't stop it from happening.
>>
>jump into painting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gan2bD6IvAY
>>
>>7968774
brainlet
>>
>>7968741
It's possible, but a lot of work for a result that might not even perform very well. Maybe someone will do it, eventually.
>>
>>7968741
I hope they work on the DC port some more, and ship an authentic pirate copy on amazon.
>>
File: 1611771430609.png (90 KB, 600x600)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
>>7968892
>authentic pirate copy
?
>>
>>7968741
Play the DS version. It'll get you close enough to the look.
>>
>>7968741
I'm hoping someone tackles this because I want to see it in motion. I'd never play it over any other version though.
>>
What would you use as the loadscreen?
>>
>>7969090
doors... just have mario slam it shut and then wait there awkwardly before cutting
>>
>>7968908
>still no DS port
>>
>>7969135
use Resident Evil doors
>>
>>7968840
It would run at 5fps. Its amazing how many people think that N64 games can be ported to PSOne easily because "The PSOne can do better textures and more storage'.
>>
>>7968741
They'd have to do some serious work to get it running properly on a PS1.
- Much slower CPU (1/3 the clock speed)
- No FPU (most of the math would need to be rewritten to use fixed-point)
- Painfully slow disc drive (the game engine isn't designed to handle such slow media)
- Lack of perspective-correct texture mapping (the environments use huge polygons, would look like shit without heavy reworking)
>>
>>7968741
Is there an original xbox port?
>>
Isn't Mario 64 already running at 32 bits anyway?
>>
>>7969468
No, it runs in 16-bit mode for better FPS.
>>
>>7969363
/thread

Most N64 to PS1 ports did not hold up well at all, just a few examples:

>Glover
Framerate is fucking molasses, feels like playing the game in slowmo, lengthy load times
>South Park and Armorines (based on Turok engine)
Garish, janky looking polygons and textures, awful sound quality despite CD format, terrible performance drops
>Space Station Silicon Valley/Evo's Space Adventures
Condensed levels, terrible performance, lengthy and frequent load times
>Shadow Man
Horrific port, every problem listed above and then some
>>
>>7969363
>- No FPU (most of the math would need to be rewritten to use fixed-point)
If SM64 used the reality signal processor for matrix math then it would have been fixed point already. Floating point math would have the get done in the CPU. I'm not sure which method they used, though.
>>
>>7969554
Mario 64 uses floating point for basically everything involving game objects and physics. It won't be an easy transition.
>>
>>7969608
I see. Thanks.
>>
>>7969468
>>7969475
Retards. SM64 runs at a dynamically-linked little Ending 24-bit mode depending on the stage and the target framerate that must be hit.
>>
It would probably run like shit but i'd still like to be able to play SM64 on a PS1. Same for some high profile PS1 game on the N64 like MGS. Just for the sake of console war faggotry of "X game could never be made for X console".
>>
>>7969684
With how much audio MGS holds? You could never play it. *Maybe* if you just gutted all the voice lines out and switched to text only but that would remove a lot of the charm of the original game.
>>
>>7969789
With modern day memory solutions you could make any ps1 port on n64, but if you force 64MB cap yea
>>
Isn't SM64 only like 8mb of rom? You could probably avoid any load screens with some well around chunks and dynamic loading, similar to how the crash games would load from the disk like a billion times as you're progressing through levels.
>>
>>7968741
They would have to cut a LOT of corners.
@4:23
https://youtu.be/zuXEnukk--k
>>
>>7970170
There isnt much of a game left once remove all of the cutscenes. VR missions would be a better choice as you'd have more than 20mins of gameplay.
>>
>>7969363
>Painfully slow disc drive (the game engine isn't designed to handle such slow media)
Mario 64 is only 8 MB. The PS1 has 2 MB of main RAM.
>>
>>7968741
I'm still waiting for the N64 port of FF7
>>
>>7969528
The Quake 2 port was made using the N64 port, and it looks much better on the PS1. Sure PS1 was the weaker console, but most of the games were better optimized.
>>
>>7972649
You can't just use all of main memory as a storage buffer, if that's what you're thinking. Where will the high score table go?
>>
>>7972660
Quake II would definitely be the exception- but it's also very different from the N64 version so I'm reluctant to say that counts.
>>
>>7972660
>>7972737
Lots of changes made to accommodate the hardware like extra tunnels etc. Not taking anything sway from a great port though.
But this just shows the difference of making your system as dev friendly as possible. The PlayStation had a lot of effects built in to the hardware which meant that third party devs could turn certain effects on by the flick of a switch, with the Saturn and N64 most devs had to build their own tools to achieve similar effects.
>>
>>7968741
The PS1 doesn't have conventional and modern hardware acceleration like everything it's ported to. It would have to be rewritten. DOS could do it in software through brute force.
>>
>>7968892
Just now watched a video of it. Surprised it's not flawless, honestly. Guess the way it's compiled isn't so efficient, but it doesn't seem like it would take a whole lot of tweaks to get it working properly.
>>
Getting it running on Win98 was neat for a minute. Seemed perfect too.
>>
File: mfw.jpg (542 KB, 1256x1475)
542 KB
542 KB JPG
>>7968908
>>
>>7968892
I burned a disc of it.
Not full speed yet.

I want one of those classic kino 90's CDs.
Does anyone know how/where to make one?

Pic rel might be TOO classic, maybe I want something more like sonic adventure, but I want a good one, not a lame modern one.
>>
>>7968741
shovelware like bing bing 64 just doesn't meet the playstation standard.
>>
>>7969284
The PS1 can render more polygons faster than the N64 though. N64 is more about drawing pretty polygons, but slower. Yes the CPU is beefier on N64, but that doesn't mean the PS1 wouldn't be able to handle something like Mario 64. It's not like good 3D Platformers don't exist on the system.
>>
>>7975115
yeah, the idea that the ps1 couldn't handle mario 64 is laughable when you consider that jumping flash predates it by a whole year and has far better graphics.
>>
>>7975127
>flat, simple levels with laughable draw distance even on the geometry itself
>does not render the player character at all times
Mario 64 is a significantly more impressive game to run.
>>
>>7975140
You have stuff like Spyro with very good draw distances, geometry though. They run at solid frame rates too.

Yes a port would require a lot of work to rework the assets and rendering code to work around the PS1's different hardware, but if it was done right there's no real reason the PS1 wouldn't be able to run something like Mario 64. You'd probably end up with something similar looking to the DS port or the recently done DSi port.
>>
I've been playing the xbox port lately and it has completely rejuvenated my love for this game.
>>
I'm sure a playstation port could be created by a team of professionals rebuilding it from the ground up, but it wouldn't be a straightforward rewrite like the existing ports.
>>
>>7968776
yes it will
>>
>>7969528
Likewise PS1 to N64 ports don't hold up well.

All the Tony Hawk games are infinitely better on PS1
MegaMan Legends is much better in PS1
Resident Evil 2 is much better in PS1 (N64 ports is impressive, but it is obviously not as good)
Wipeout is better in PS1

This is pretty true of most ports of this era when going to direct competition. I don't know why people keep making these assertions as a judgement to the consoles themselves. They were different and did different things better.
>>
>>7975259
No, it won't.
>>
>>7975115
>>7975127
>>7975140
>Mario 64 is a significantly more impressive game to run.
This is the point that some people can't seem to grasp. They're too obsessed with graphics and frame rates to realise that these games they're referencing are much less demanding to run.
>>
>>7975291
>All the Tony Hawk games are infinitely better on PS1
Only in terms of music, blood and FMVs. The N64 ports run at at a higher resolution and framerate.
>>
>>7975178
>Spyro with very good draw distances, geometry though. They run at solid frame rates too.
Seriously? Theres barely anything going on in Spyro. Its nowhere near as demanding as SM64.
>>
>>7975359
>>7975576
What specifically is Mario 64 doing that you don't think the PS1 could handle?
>>
>>7975391
>Only in terms of music, blood and FMVs.
And controls. The N64 version controls like shit.
>>
File: gameplay-rayman2.jpg (59 KB, 1000x750)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>7969528
Rayman 2 was an amazing port. I don't think I need to say more
>>
>>7976895
I don’t think it would look as good with unfiltered textures.
>>
>>7974974
The best consumer product available for this is the Lightscribe stuff I think. You need a Lightscribe drive and Lightscribe CD/DVDs, which seems to be getting rarer
It's grayscale tho'. For color, apparently some specific printers could do that. But I have some doubt any of that stuff will be easily available now
>>
>>7975291
>Wipeout is better in PS1
W64 is a different game from W1. It's like W1.5
>>
Probably would be more likely to port it to the saturn than the ps1.
>>
>>7976930
The DS and DSi ports look decent enough without unfiltered textures. But again, that's not really related to actually running the game, that's just a cosmetic difference. Of course it would look different as the hardware is different.
>>
>>7968741
Because it is impossible to match the graphics and polygons of Super Mario 64 on the PS1. Besides the controls would feel awkward and it is exclusive to the Nintendo.
>>
>>7976929
They had to change the game dramatically to get it running in the PS1. Its not just the technical issues, the controls would be a problem as the N64 analogue stick didn't have dead zones.
>>
>>7968741
spyro is better
>>
>>7968908
>>7969253
There's a lovely 1:1 unofficial 3ds port. It's on hshop. Play that.
>>
>>7976916
>it will on an Emulator.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.