[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

For those of you who actually got to play Sonic 2 back at release in 1992, what was your reaction to the DBZ homage?
>>
I had no idea what DBZ was at that time.
>>
No one in the west knew what Dragon Ball was in 1992
>>
File: mad frog.png (147 KB, 900x757)
147 KB
147 KB PNG
How many times are you gonna make this thread?
>>
We get this thread every week.

DB wasn't known in the west until mid-late 90s.
>>
>>7967906
Frenchfag here, we did.

>>7967886
It was amazing, op, I couldn't believe it at first and thought it was a hoax (like with the exocet)
>>
>>7967906
>>7967958
Define "west"
>>
>>7967967
Based frog.
These fucking mockup screenshots made me go crazy back then. Knowledge about picture edition through computer programs wasn't on my system when I was a lad, so I thought these guys were actually re-programming the games to include crazy stuff. I remember one particular magazine that showed a mockup of the MK II char select screen with Mario, Sonic, MK1 characters and more bizarre stuff, and I was dying to play it. Much later I realized it was just a hoax.
>>
>>7967968
you know damn well what we mean.
>>
File: Sonichu.jpg (17 KB, 200x329)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>7967886
Every time I see Super Sonic I can't help but
see pic-related. Damn Chris-chan and his trolls to hell.

>>7967889
>>7967906

I knew DBZ from the previews in EGM magazine of that time but I didn't make the connection back then. I didn't even know DBZ was an anime until a few years later when Chrono Trigger was localized and Toriyama became a worldwide household name.
>>
>>7967973
That you're retarded and have a beyond poor understanding of geography?
>>
>>7968015
What I mean is nobody cares about European third world snail eating street pissers.
>>
>>7967967
France is basically the Japan of Europe so of course you guys had it before guys like me in the US.
>>
File: 431.png (156 KB, 504x1236)
156 KB
156 KB PNG
For those of you who actually got to play Mario 2 back at release in 1988, what was your reaction to the Alice homage?
>>
>>7968021
Oh, it's you, the mutt that always cries "third world".
Just check the status of your own country in 2021, retard. It's not first world anymore. Get a time machine to the 90s or before, lmao.
>>
>>7967996
> until a few years later when Chrono Trigger was localized

Neve rmind I remember they published an article detailing the anime's plot of the time. It was in a preview of the arcade game. EGM used to hype the fuck out the games back then yet DBZ caught on over a decade later outside of Japan.
>>
>>7967889
This
>>
>>7968023
>France is basically the Japan of Europe

This.

From what I've read France was one of the first countries that Japanese anime was popular outside of Japan. And it was a mutual thing too since some Japanese manga/anime artists like Miyazaki drew inspiration from French artists.

Leiji Matsumoto is another good example .
>>
>>7968159
Plus, there's Dofus and Wakfu and Mutafukaz
>>
>>7967906
>no one knew nothing before i heard about it
The literal state
>>
>>7968373
Has the race for hipsterism on this board really reached the point where people are going to pretend they were watching DBZ in 1992 when the Cell Saga had barely started in Japan
>>
>>7967886
I was like "Oh, this is like that Dragonball Z anime I saw video games of in my video game magazines."
>>
>>7968453
Has the level of cope on this board really reached this point? Clearly it has, as you quickly realized that plenty of people in the west had heard of it and promptly moved the goal posts. But you're so pathetic you even failed there. Plenty of people were watching it in 92. Zoom. Not even once.
>>
>>7968159
>From what I've read France was one of the first countries that Japanese anime was popular outside of Japan
I've heard this about mexico too actually. Particularly Guillermo del Toro said that they used to show anime on tv in Mexico when he was a kid.
>>
>>7967906
the first 20 eps or so of dragon ball got dubbed and shown on YTV here in canada in the early 90s at least
>>
>>7967968
"West" means "USA" in most of the cases, not Europe.
>>7968023
I remember buying french issues of Dr. Slump at the comic shop. Good times and good thing we learned french in school.
>>
>>7967886
Uk DBZ wasn’t huge in the early 90s

DBZ boom was after 96-97
>>
>>7967886
this is worse than the s*ga s*stem meme
>>
>>7969104
>Plenty of people were watching it in 92. Zoom. Not even once.
What is this revisionist history? Maybe college kids who had access to importing stuff or watching things overseas somehow might have seen it, but no kids my age around '92 in the US would have known what DBZ was.
>>
>>7969341
Mutts should realize that what applies to them not applies to the rest of the world.
>>
>>7969129
Oh my god and it felt like every few months they would go right back to the beginning of the series when they ran out of new episodes.

I got fed up and just started reading the mangas in French.
>>
>>7969118

Most of Latin-America too apparently. I grew-up in PR and Mazinger Z and Astro Boy were pretty big in the early 80s that some still reference them. I also remember the local channels showing anime during kid's programming block like Mirai Shonen Conan and Candy-Candy
>>
>>7967886
When Sonic 2 came out the only station I could watch DBZ on was stopping at the Ginyu Force, playing Tree of Might and then starting over.
>>
File: 19058.jpg (49 KB, 512x448)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>7967886
Look-up the anime "Kouryu no Mimi". The protag also does the "hair-turning blonde and spiky" when powered-up thing. I think it's common trope in Japanese anime.

There's also a pretty decent belt-scroller for the Super Famicom about KNM too.
>>
>>7968159
>>7969118
>>7969563
Yes, France and Italy were the first to start importing and dubbing anime in the 70s, followed very shortly by Spanish-speaking countries (I believe more South America than Spain itself though).
France is still the second largest manga market on the planet after Japan.
>>
>>7968159
Speaking of France, was there also a local Pocky brand for the rest of Europe in the 80's, or did some of you discover it with anime?
>>
>>7967967
I think that all southern europeans had their first contact with anime quite early, here in Italy we had stuff like Mazinger and Lupin coming to our TVs just a couple of years after they aired in Japan.

Anyway like >>7969724 said i really don't think that was a DBZ homage but just a common anime trope.
>>
>>7969471
There's more of us than there are frogs so fuck off your experiences are even less universal
>>
>>7969341
>no one is older than me
Spotted to zoom zoom

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.