[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ezgif-7-9677abd1bda6.gif (1.53 MB, 250x205)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB GIF
I love the idea of a sorceress from the future possessing a sorceress from the present. VIII has an elegance to it that is absent in other FF titles. The junction system and the spellcasting feel so good. Factor in the music, cards, characters, locations and atmosphere and it is clear that VIII is the best FF game.
>>
I like Quistis, she’s sexy.
>>
File: giphy.gif (664 KB, 450x253)
664 KB
664 KB GIF
>>7967724
>>
>>7967720
>the spellcasting feel so good
magic is weak as fuck (aura/meltdown excepted), and you get weaker if you cast magic.
>>
>gameplay is either standing in battle doing nothing but drawing spells for 20 hours so you can junction them and then basic attack everything to death, or playing cards for 20 hours so you can refine spells from them so you can basic attack everything to death
>story is is somehow even worse
truly a masterpiece of a game.
>>
>>7967763
>the idea of "having fun" that fans of the game have, is to learn no-enc asap and skip all non-mandatory battles while one-hit killing all bosses exploiting the level scaling
really genius
>>
>>7967751
I disagree. I make good use or Cerberus and enjoy the spellweaving you can do by selectively choosing 2x or 3x. You have a good arsenal of utility and healing spells, which feel fine, and offensive magic does not feel any different than other FFs to me if you choose the right spell for the right weakness. You only get weaker if you use magic that you junction to your stats, which is not really an issue because once you use >= 10, you just top yourself up with refine.
I did a low level/no magic stat junction run, and it was absurdly fun.
>>
File: 1599161328713.gif (2.49 MB, 518x276)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB GIF
>>7967763
>drawing spells for 20 hours
Ask me how I know you are a brainlet
>>
>>7967790
try reading more than the first 5 words before you vomit out your post retard
>>
>>7967780
>I make good use or Cerberus and enjoy the spellweaving you can do by selectively choosing 2x or 3x
But spell animations are really fucking long. Having to repeat them 3x is vomit inducing. Most of the time, they won't out-power a physical attack even with 3x. There's no reason to not spam normal attacks+limit breaks unless you want to give the enemy a fair chance.
>>
>>7967795
You seem mad that you are a brainlet and lashing out at people on a Mongolian basketweaving forum.
>>
>>7967801
you seem like a fat autist who was so desperate to make an "akshully" post on a mongolian basketweaving forum in the desperate attempt that you might appear intelligent for once in your life, that you actually fucked up and now appear like even more of a dumbass
>>
>>7967796
I know, the spell animations are long and it does kind of suck. Especially casting 3x Meteor or 3x Ultima. I won't defend that.
>There's no reason to not spam normal attacks+limit breaks unless you want to give the enemy a fair chance
I played VIII from 1999 to 2013 with Squall, Irvine and Zell, and I did the broken melee abuse spam. It got boring, and I decided to switch it up by trying the casters and it breathed new life into my favorite single player game. You can still abuse the system by junctioning 100 Zombie to your casters status attacks and then having the other caster use Life (I save Death for status defense typically). It feels more fun this way, but I am an autist who has finished VIII at least 20 times and just enjoy the game for what it is.
>>
>>7967813
>autist who has finished VIII at least 20 times
How is this possible?
>>
i love how in every ff8 thread its 4 fans just wait around plugging their ears and yelling "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" as the litany of valid criticisms of ff8 rush past their heads. then inevitably some other hapless retard comes in and mentions how drawing magic sucks, then suddenly the fans can hear again and they all immediately leap on that guy to say "BUT YOU CAN DO THE CARD GAME" as if that's some sort of "gotcha!" that dispels the 50 other major problems with the game
>>
File: FF8 curve.png (160 KB, 680x453)
160 KB
160 KB PNG
>>7968149
Yeah thats FF8 for you
>>
>>7967763
It is a masterpiece
>>
Two words- WASTED. POTENTIAL.
>>
>>7967732
Based. 8 is the peak of Final Fantasy elegance and magic. 8 is artistically the best Final Fantasy and the best thematically as well.
>>
>>7968549
Could not agree more
>>
>>7967810
But he is right. You're a brainlet. You don't need to waste hours drawing or playing cards unless you're deliberately looking to break the game or you're just too stupid to figure out what you need to get through with minimal time wasted and need to look up a guide to hold your hand through it.
>>
>>7968149
Aside from the storyline (which is subjective), some of the characters (that could be somewhat better developed outside of Squall and Laguna) and the plot twists (that I won't defend the way it's presented but I felt that are somewhat built up if you're paying attention to the world around you) what exactly are the other 47 major problems you have with it?
>>
Good to see some fellow intellectuals on tonight. Indeed, FF8 is the best of the series, and far superior to FF7 in every way.
>>
>>7967723
I used to like Quistis and she is sexy but these days I prefer Selphie
I want to fool around with her in a sleeper car on a train
>>
File: toofar.jpg (113 KB, 800x450)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>7968728
>>
was rinoa ultimecia? why did you name that keyring that became a gf?
>>
junctioning sucks
>>
>>7967720
>VIII has an elegance to it that is absent in other FF titles
it's called faggotry
>>
If there's one area FF8 beat FF7 in it's definitely the minigames. None of 7's poorly controlling minigames came close to Triple Triad, besides maybe the motorcycle chase and that's being generous.
>>
>>7968907
I can’t stand FF’s genki girls. They drive me bonkers
>>
>>7969072
Having numericl control over your stats like that is great. Deciding which status' and elements to nullify are also very nice. I wish more FF games had junctioning.
>>
I agree except the junction system that thing blows ass.
>>7967723
She is and when I was young I got legit mad when I found you had to romance the ditzy terrorist instead of hot for teacher.
>>
>>7969269
If you want to talk about the faggiest Final Fantasy, look at X.
>>
>Junction>Auto>STR>Win game
>this apparently qualifies you as a 200IQ genius
>>
Daily reminder Final Fantasy 8 was inspired by Wizard of Oz.

>confirmed that Esther was supposed to be greeb but they changed it to blue
>confirmed that Sorceresses were inspired by the wicked witches

Therefor:
>Rinoa and Angelo are probably Dorothy and Toto
>Squall is the cowardly lion
>railways were going to be the yellow brick road
>dream junctioning back in time makes a little more sense since wizard if oz took place in dorotht's dream

And more I cant figure out.
>>
>>7969440
The fact people can't figure out junctioning doesn't mean I think I have 200 IQ it means I think you're stupid.
>>
File: 1612929531886.png (362 KB, 512x512)
362 KB
362 KB PNG
>>7969536
"people who can't out figure junctioning" is at this point a strawman based on:
>guys who are inexperienced with JRPGs in general
>a projection of your past 8 yo self who was inexperienced with JRPGs in general
Everybody else can read a tutorial. But the very same moment somebody expresses a qualm with the game, you guys assume he's stupid and couldn't figure out any of the systems. Every FF8 thread is the fucking same, never met people more arrogant and detestable than your lot.

I don't even hate the game, but the fans are awful.
>>
>>7969543
Shut up Quistis you have stinky breath.
>>
>>7969543
It was just supposed to be bantz I haven't been to a FF8 thread in awhile.
>>
>>7969058
>why did you name that keyring that became a gf?

Because you can name every other guardian force, but this one was supposed to be a surprise so you name the ring that partly inspires its design (since it was a lion) first. I think it was extremely sentimental/symbolic to Squall, I remember it was on Raine's grave but maybe that was just art or concept art.

Im not sure why you even can name GFs but its kind of a nice touch I guess?
>>
>>7969072
I like it
>>7969269
No one claims that junctioning is hard, nor does anyone pretend that FF8 is not a complete steamroll with appropriate junctions. The junction system is however the patrician choice for jrpg stat progression.
>>
File: ffviii-00016.png (62 KB, 300x203)
62 KB
62 KB PNG
8 has the best space
>>
>>7967720
a of the idea aesthetic of ff8 was good/cool. actually playing it was not that cool.
>>
How do you go about breaking this game? I’m considering playing it in the near future.
>>
Thank god that they put the worst battle system in the game with the worst story. So instead of having a bunch of mediocre games, we just have one terrible game and the others were spared.
>>
>>7970068
1/10 bait
>>
>>7970063
Start by farming fish fins on the beach outside Balamb Garden so you can ice magic refine 300 Water to junction to Squall str, Zell str, and Selphie mag and then the game is basically broken in the first 15 mins. After that I think you want to refine Dino Bones (card mod a Brothers card) into 300 Quake to junction with time magic ref.
>>
>>7970063
>As soon as the game starts get the 2 GFs from your computer make sure Quzawhatever is set to learn the Card ability
>spend 10-15 hours (not exaggerating) playing cards with people in the garden and the first town
>run from every battle in the fire cave and surrounding areas until the Dollet mission starts
>kill Squall and Zell and grind GF abilities with Seifer by running in a circle triggering battles
>once you've maxed out the GFs revive Squall and Zell and go back to running from every battle until the mission is over
>Use the lamp Cid gives you, and beat Diablos
>Make Diablos learn Enc-Half and Enc-None immediately after this by grinding and using the Card ability exclusivly so you don't get XP.
>After you've done this you can equip Enc-None and then use all your maxed out GF to refine late game magic from all the cards you have and junction it
>Finally after the 25-30 hours this took, you can now play the game as a visual novel with boss fights you will one shot, and enjoy some of the worst writing and overall plot design of any form of media ever created.
>>
>>7970337
>>spend 10-15 hours (not exaggerating)
You spend at most 5 or 6 hours playing cards lol
>>
>>7970379
It takes 5-6 hours just to grind Elnoyle and Behemoth cards, let alone all the others you need.
>>
>>7970379
5 or 6 hours over the entire game
>>
>>7970397
Why would I grind Elnoyle cards? Lion Heart disc 1 is a meme. Why would I grind Behemoth cards? You leave for Timber with Quistis, Zell and Seifer player cards, also Diablos and a few other decent cards to round out a deck for playing and refining and you move on. Lose Ifrit card to Caraway, go back for Rinoa card. Get Squall card, Laguna card, Edea, Gilgamesh card and you're done. You can grind optional high level boss cards and GF cards if you want, but they are not necessary.
>>
>>7970428
>Lion Heart disc 1 is a meme
Doing any of this shit is a meme, if you're going to do it at all just go all the way
>Why would I grind Behemoth cards?
Flare
>>
>>7970445
>if you're going to do it at all just go all the way
It's not necessary though. You can one absolutely wreck the entire game without ever even getting Lion Heart, and it is far more natural and efficient to just play the game and get the Lion Heart as you go along. Grinding more than a few Elnoyle cards is legit retarded.
>Flare
I usually just stock up on Flare during the boss fight in the salt flats area, but you have to be a certain level for it. It takes a few mins to draw 300, but it's much quicker than playing cards for Flare lol. There are a few places in which you actually use draw rather than playing cards/refining (Aura from Seifer end of disc 3, Meteor from Ruby Dragons, Pain from Elnoyle) but mostly it's still just refining from both cards and items acquired while progressing.
>>
>>7970479
>It's not necessary though
None of this is necessary, you can trivialize the entire game just by grinding Siren for 20 minutes and refining Curaga and having 7k HP in the second town. He asked how to break the game, not just make it easy mode.
>>
>>7970495
You junction 300 Curaga to your parties hp before you leave for Timber and you junction 300 Quake to your parties str after Tomb of the Unknown King (300 Water before that) and the game is effectively broken. Anything else you do by grinding cards and items for refines is just a bonus. I've finished VIII at least 20 times and will never grind Elnoyle cards for disc 1 Lion Heart because it's just a waste of time. I am wasting time playing a video game already, but I just do not see disc 1 Lion Heart as necessary or justifiable, it just increases the level of broken by a bit. You can 1 shot Seifer at the end of disc 1 without it.
>>
>>7968465
In what way(s)?
>>
Is Time Compression the most ridiculous plot point to ever come out of the series?
>>
>>7967720
Yes, and i love VIII. But in comparison it has way too less going on with the story. Cipher is a fucking joke compared to villains like Sephiroth, Kuja and Jecht. There are not much characters that further enhance the world. Squall never really has other groups of individuals that pose a thread for him. The overall theme of VIII is so extremely linear and has not much interesting lore and culture to explore.
Also the whole GF bullshit sucks.

VIII has the great world but needs way more than that. I would love to see a Sequel with actual villains that go toe-to-toe with Squall. Many different groups of people that do stuff behind the cutscenes we see. And plot that puts a heavier thread on the world, to a point where characters are absolutely restless about what is going to happen in the future. That's absent from VIII
>>
>>7971145
No, with the right story editing it could've been mind-boggling. But without some line of dialog actually explaining: "But why would one *want* to compress all of time into a single moment?" it's fucking stillborn, a bit like the plot to Chrono Cross.
>>
>>7969415
10-2 really is the faggiest, but 10 is second faggiest.
>>
>>7971336
>"But why would one *want* to compress all of time into a single moment?"
If you subscribe to R=U, the purpose behind time compression is to compressing the past, present and future into one so Rinoa can live the best moments of her life over and over again forever (her time with Squall and the adventure with SeeD).
>>
>>7972052
>If you subscribe to R=U
Meaning if you are delusional/have fetal alcohol syndrome.
>>
>>7971145
time compression is basically like the void in FF5 or Necron wanting to erase existence in 9, except that Ultimecia has actual good reasons to do it, reasons that a human being can identify with
>>
>>7971258
Why do you think that the enemies are not tough enough? This seems like a legit zoomer complaint lol. Seifer is underpowered, I agree. Ultimecia seems consistent with the theme of fighting a world-ending tier villain, especially phase 4.
>>
>>7972052
>If you subscribe to R=U, the purpose behind time compression is to compressing the past, present and future into one so Rinoa can live the best moments of her life over and over again forever (her time with Squall and the adventure with SeeD).
so she has to kill Squall to live with Squall forever.

did anybody ever stopped to think how R=U is stupid as fuck and is anathema to the themes of the game?
>>
>>7972078
R=U makes perfect sense and the dev that denied it was backpeddaling
>>
>>7972720
>so she has to kill Squall to live with Squall forever
How do you reach this conclusion? If time compresses and past=present=future, it is safe to assume that Ultimecia is free to "experience" whatever points in time that she wishes to experience, so she can spend as much time with Squall while he was alive as she wants.
SID theory is retarded fyi.
>>
>>7973257
>SID theory is retarded fyi.
agreed, just like R=U.
>>
yeah being rewarded for stealing spells from monsters and running away without killing them is awesome. then making sure those spells can boost your stats better than actually leveling up and killing shit is top tier stuff, op.

seriously though 8 has great music and an interesting world (although they got carried away a bit, like the gf sequences). i also liked the card game a lot. but the junctioning system isn't deep or interesting, it's idiotic and broken. i did a low level playthrough recently where i beat the game at my dudes mostly level 14-17 and i think my squall hit 20 right before final boss. game is janky af.
>>
Did Squall come off as autistic to anyone else?
>>
>>7972720
>did anybody ever stopped to think how R=U is stupid as fuck and is anathema to the themes of the game?
I know right. FF8 has such a wonderfully written and logical plot I don't know how anyone in its fanbase could believe something so idiotic
>>
File: Succession.png (622 KB, 800x579)
622 KB
622 KB PNG
>>7972341
>except that Ultimecia has actual good reasons to do it, reasons that a human being can identify with
Like what? What possible human appeal could being the ruler of the entire cosmos hold if all of existence transpires in literally the blink of an eye as the byproduct?
>>
>>7973315
excellent artwork anon
>>
>>7969543
>Everybody else can read a tutorial. But the very same moment somebody expresses a qualm with the game, you guys assume he's stupid and couldn't figure out any of the systems. Every FF8 thread is the fucking same, never met people more arrogant and detestable than your lot.
Maybe because twats insist shitting on FF8 threads the moment they pop? I don't see this behaviour in any other FF threads. Retards who feel the need to express how much they hated the game without anyone asking them and they proceed to embarass the fuck out of themselves when people throw shit at them and it's clear they were just too braindead to actually get the game (filtered perfectly describes this people). I see criticism in other FF titles but it's always well-thought up, detailed and somewhat polite and respectful.

>>7970063
Breaking the game on first playthrough will just suck out all the fun of understanding and figuring out the junction system.

>>7970445
>Lion Heart disc 1 is a meme
>Doing any of this shit is a meme, if you're going to do it at all just go all the way

Go away, Vegh.

>>7971336
The explanation is there, anon. You just got to use your head to figure it out. Or just look up Selphie's last diary entry on the FFVIII Ultimania Guide.

>>7972720
>so she has to kill Squall to live with Squall forever.

She isn't killing Squall and Co. As time compression unveils, everything is merging with Ultimecia. If you look up the Scan Information during battle it helps to understand the process.
>>
>>7967720
disc 1:
>she's looking fine
disc 3 (or whatever)
>she's your foster-mother
sad.
>>
The actual game is Triple Triad, the rest is just a filler. Once you understand this everything makes sense.
>>
>>7975601
>needs a convoluted walkthrough to not get fucked by rules
>>
Do No Level Perfect Game if you are daring or obsessive.
>>
>>7973315
Ultimecia doesn't want to rule everything or destroy for the sake of destroying. Her only motive is her own survival, just like the protags. The game is a time loop, in other words she knew Squall&co would come to kill her, it was foretold and time compression is her only way to prevent it. Ultimecia isn't actually evil.
>>
File: 1620691350875.jpg (38 KB, 657x527)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>7975861
>Ultimecia isn't actually evil.
then she shouldn't have possessed Edea, killed Deling's president and establish a military dictatorship on the whole continent while ordering for the destruction of gardens and thousands of innocents in the process, as well as liberating space prisoner Adel and flooding the earth with violent lunar beasts just for laughs.
>>
>>7975869
and on the other side they took orphans to raise them into good little soldiers using methods that damage their brains
>>
>>7973257
>SID theory is retarded
Indeed, a true brainlet theory.
>>
>>7975861
I read an interesting theory where Ultimicia is basically a self-fulfilling prophecy.
>SEED are known for saving the world from a super sorceress from the future
>Sorceresses become even more hated and discriminated against because of this
>Eventually, one of them just snaps. "Okay, I AM Ultimicia you fucks!"
>Manages to fuck over the world and tries to exact revenge on SEED for all her suffering through reaching back through time
>The timeloop carries on
>>
>>7974991
>Maybe because twats insist shitting on FF8 threads the moment they pop? I don't see this behaviour in any other FF threads.
Because its a bad fucking game. The plot is bad, the characters are bad, the writing is bad, the battle system is bad, the junction system is bad. It has great music and the card game is fun, everything else about it is trash. There is no grand conspiracy against the game or whatever delusion you've made up to justify your own shit taste to yourself. It is an objectively bad game, which is why all you can do is pretend anyone who points out all its flaws was too stupid to figure out the apparently mind numbing process of "equip the magic that makes your stats go the highest" which is you're retarded enough to find this trash game enjoyable is actually probably a big litmus test for you.
>>
>>7976147
Not him, but I have fond memories of it becuase it was my first FF. I'm sure I'd think less of it if I started elsewhere though.
>>
>>7976154
I have fond memories of playing Ren & Stimpy on the Genesis but that doesn't mean its not a shit game.
>>
>>7976147
Everything that you called bad I think is good so get fucked nigger. Your IQ is too low for this shit.
>>
>>7976121
>The timeloop carries on
Timeloop resets, and SeeD becomes FeeD
>>
>>7976213
>The original MC in the first timeloop was called Chuck
>>
>>7967720
Look at Edea....good god she is elegant. Anyone who dislikes 8 is an unfit dullard.
>>
>>7976213
>SeeD becomes FeeD
ayyy
>>
>>7975487
She's even hotter then.
>>
>>7967732
That’s just Tifa with thicker eyebrows.
>>
>>7976918
and less booba
and an annoying personality
>>
>>7976925
But cuter face and tighter pussy
>>
>>7976965
>tighter pussy
Yeah sure, with her being Seifer’s ex and all.
>>
>>7976973
Tifa was a prostitute in a slum, so yes, tighter.
>>
>>7977073
You're confusing her for Aeris
>>
>>7973292
He did to me as well
>>
>>7976147
Then you cry out FF8 fans are obnoxious for calling dipshits like you out. If it was so objectively bad it wouldn't have sold like it did nor received the the reviews it did back when it was released. Kindly fuck off, nigger.
>>
>>7976847
l-lewd
>>
I find FF8 to have the most beautiful aesthetic of all final fantasy games. The traditional European architecture and design mixed with futuristic technology is what I wish Europe looked like today. Unfortunately the story goes insane after disc 2 and I would have much preferred that it would have stayed somewhat grounded and focused on being a merc like the first two discs. But it's still a good game and even if the junction system is a bit weird, it's not like the combat system in FF has ever been incredibly deep anyway.
>>
>>7977469
>If it was so objectively bad it wouldn't have sold like it did nor received the the reviews it did back when it was released.
you know what hype and bought press is, right? What do you think about Donkey Kong 64? it sold shitloads and had critical acclaim to boot :^)
>>
File: wall_6.jpg (238 KB, 800x560)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
>>
>>7977924
>NO WAY FAG
FUCK Japan and its stupid faggot protagonists and its stupid forced romances with a retarded milquetoast cardboard cutout
I've been mad about this for decades
>>
>>7968465
the best kind
>>
File: 1617227252270.jpg (1.31 MB, 2000x2000)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
>>
>>7967720
>Junction system good
No
>>
>>7978335
Yes
>>
>>7978332
based Q=U chad
>>
>>7968101
I've done it too. The game grows on me over time.
>>
>>7978362
>R=U
>Q=U

>R=Q
>>
Angelo Cannon might be the wildest limit break animation in the whole series.
>>
>>7977919
Don't know about Donkey Kong 64 and don't care because you're comparing two different things. Nintendo and Sony had entirely different perceptions from both the public and critics back in the late 90s. What I do know is that anything in the top 15 sales of PS1 was received at the time with the proper reviews and public feedback that was consistent with the quality of those games - see Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

You might not like Final Fantasy VIII for the reasons you listed above (some which I find subjective other that are just flat-out retarded - battle system and juction system are one and the same, you're just trying to shoehorn one additional flaw in the game unless you're actually a brainlet and think the ATB system of FFVIII's is worse than FFVII's) but that doesn't make it an objectively bad game.
>>
>>7967720
even today the tits are fantastic
>>7969543
and this still turns me into diamonds
what a wonderful game although this is all I remember
>>
>>7978678
In japan 80% of the sales were during the first week. If you can't understand why the following entry to Final Fantasy VII (aka "the biggest game ever") had expectations over the roof, then I won't keep trying.
>>
>>7978770
Don't really. You're just spitting shit out of your ass. Steam sales for Final Fantasy VIII still top pretty much most FF titles, 15 years after the game was released.
>>
File: 1624902815717.jpg (21 KB, 256x251)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>7978813
>Steam sales
>>
>>7978846
Okay retard, your delusional and made-up metrics pulled straight out of your ass are obviously what we should use instead. Take your fucking meds.
>>
>>7978332
Makes more sense than R=U
>>
>>7978846
fuck off contrarian faggot, FFVIII sells well
>>
>>7967732
8's world and atmosphere BTFO's 9's kiddie bullshit and 10's forgettable characters (don't get me started on that nigger wakka)
>>
>>7968465
after the first disc its his death dream. it's not wasted potential it's just you were filtered hard
>>
>>7970068
what you really meant that for was ffx.
>>
>>7978332
selphie is a actual sorceress though. with her spells. why not say it her instead.
>>7976121
what does a finally broken timeloop look like? one where squall isn't recruited to snipe edea? so he isn't killed by ice barrage?
>>
>>7976121
This is actually pretty gud
>>
>>7978426
It seems insane to me.
>>
>>7980337
I've beaten the game multiple times as well, and I'm not a fan. I hate the systems, the lack of difficulty and good self-imposed challenges. But I just love the setting and overall comfiness. If I had to choose a game to live in, I would pick this one, even though it's not top 5 FF for me.
>>
>>7977073
She’s a barmaid. There’s a big difference.
>>
>>7980398
meanwhile Aerizz was a literal flower girl, which means prostitute in Japan
>>
>>7980405
I’ve yet to see any actual evidence of prostitutes being called “Flower girls” in Japan, unless it’s some Edo period thing.
>>
Why was Zell so fixated on hot dogs?
>>
>>7980629
It's an allegory for his raging homosexuality
>>
>>7980556
The only "flower girl" related to Japan that google gives me is from a famous North Korean play, where the flower girl is a North Korean girl fighting Japanese oppresion

Obviously I don't know how to say "flower girl" in Japanese though so the google results may not be accurate, but if it was a "known" thing there'd be at least some result I suppose
>>
>>7978678
>battle system and juction system are one and the same
stupid statement. The junction system is the game's stat and equipment system. The battle system is the most barebones and retarded of any post NES game in the series. You can either spend forever in bos fights spamming GFs, or spam limit breaks. Basic encounters are all mash X to win because casting magic is detrimental and lower DPS than simply basic attacks with proper junctions.
>>7978813
FF8 was released twice on Steam, you're comparing 2 combined games to the sales of 1.
Regardless FF8's sales data is based entirly on being a sequel to 7. 8 was so ill received by most players that it's sequel sold less than half as many copies.
>>
>>7972717
We need more of people like Ultimecia. It's not really a zoomer thing to complain about, i felt like there was no real villain i could personally root for or be a complete fanboy of.
If you look at VII you have the Turks, Rufus, Hojo, Sephiroth and many small ones like Don, Scarlet, Heidegger, the list goes on. I just wished VIII had that all aswell and more. As it stands right now, there is not much encounters i could have looked forward to.
>>
>>7969410
I got the impression that she was in training for a professor job rather than a legit professor, and she obviously failed.
>>
>>7981348
>You can either spend forever in bos fights spamming GFs, or spam limit breaks.
That is the junction system you melted brain moron. Battle system is the ATB system, which is just FFVII's refined and polished. A different battle system would be FFX's which is turn-based instead. Class (FFIV), Materia (FFVII), Junction (FFVIII), Grid (FFX), etc are the character development systems.

>FF8 was released twice on Steam, you're comparing 2 combined games to the sales of 1.
You really think I'm pulling numbers out of my ass? I specifically used 15 years after the game was released for a very good reason. Final Fantasy VIII was released on steam back in 2013 and sold 730,000 copies which was more than twice of Final Fantasy IX's sales on the same platform. Which I guess addresses your second point - if the game was so shitty it turned around the fanbase then that would mean that steam sales would have flopped and Final Fantasy IX and X would have sold much better. But guess what? Your made-up shit didn't happen so you're wrong and your logic is retarded. Final Fantasy IX sold like shit because most of PSX's core base didn't really care or like that game. Even in popularity contents in the biggest videogame site two decades ago (GameFAQs), nobody gave two fucks about Final Fantasy IX. Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy IV were the most popular, in that order (though I'll concede that's mostly representative of the western fanbase and same cannot be said about the japanese fanbase).
>>
>>7981573
>ackshually it's not technically turn based
Shut the fuck up you revisionist retard.
Characters acted one at a time, unable to act in between their actions, that's why it's referred to as "turn based". Nobody gives a fuck what mechanics the games use to get characters to their turns.

You and the retard you're arguing with deserve each other, you can have threesomes with sales figures on your honeymoon.
>>
File: zell.jpg (356 KB, 711x1228)
356 KB
356 KB JPG
>>7980648
Can't really argue with that, he is easily the gayest looking character in the whole game.
>>
>>7981601
Retarded nigger, ATB system was a big deal when it came out. The only revisionist here is you for pretending you were not sucking your mommy titties when this battle system hit the RPG genre.
>>
>>7967720
didnt something like this happen in the latest dragon quest as well?
>>
>>7981612
>ATB system was a big deal when it came out
No it wasn't. Nobody gave a shit except autists. It's just a different visual for the same shit. Some games would let an enemy attack if you took too long like a dumbass, whoop-dee-do. An RPG was an RPG until fucks like you started calling them JAAAAYRPG.
Go back to your CRT threads, nobody is playing pretend time here but you.
>>
>>7981647
>No it wasn't. Nobody gave a shit except autists

How to get people to stop reading your post in one sentence
>>
>>7981657
>How to get people to stop reading your post in one sentence
use reddit spacing on a phonepost?
>>
>>7980629
They're good
>>
The combining of FMV with real-time graphics is astonishingly well done.

It achieved what many before it in the FMV era of the early 90s had tried and failed to do.
>>
>>7982096
I really liked the parts with real-time graphics with FMV in the background in FFVIII, felt very kino: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RN5oqJJ2Po&t=11850s
>>
>>7981603
Yeah Zell is a bit gay
>>
The junction system gets too much hate imo
>>
>>7969415
they're all pretty faggy desu
>>
>>7983572
No the hate is justified
>>
>>7983575
10 marks the start of their commitment to go full twinks and strippers.
Look at 15, four leather twinks and the first person they meet is a hoebag with less clothes on than a 3rd world hooker. On top of the game being shit I didn't have the desire to play much longer after that.
FF clearly chose the "style" over substance route.
>>
>>7969543
People have been doing this for as long as these boards have been around.
>>
>>7983572
It's really unbalanced because there's no compromise to be made; every stat has a specific magic(s) that goes well with it so it doesn't have to overlap with other stats. So every build ends up being the same, with monstrous stat values all over the board and enemies barely putting a fight. It would've been better if it was standarized all across the board; for example Meteor adds the same bonus regardless of stat, so you had to actually prioritize certain stats and not be a walking god.
>>
>>7983921
I do not really disagree with this, but I am too autistic to stop playing.
>>
File: Kefka Palazzo.png (385 KB, 640x480)
385 KB
385 KB PNG
>>7975861
>Her only motive is her own survival, just like the protags.
How do you survive compressing all of the fourth dimension, Anon? Alternatively, this is like fucking everybody throughout all of history just to live for a single moment longer than you would've otherwise. I don't know about you, but to me that's just barely a step above the usual mustache-twirling antics of half the other Final Fantasy villains. Kefka had more relatable motives, and he's fucking insane.
>>
>>7981573
>That is the junction system you melted brain moron.
Summoning GFs and spamming limit breaks is apparently the fucking junction system. I commend you for displaying just how fucking retarded the fans of this trash game are.
>Final Fantasy VIII was released on steam back in 2013 and sold 730,000 copies which was more than twice of Final Fantasy IX's sales on the same platform.
because it was released twice and they combined the sales dumbfuck as you can literally see.
Jesus fucking Christ I know you can't actually defend anything about this game because it has no redeeming qualities outside of the two I mentioned but at least fucking try if you're determined to be some contrarian dipshit retard.
>>
>>7984614
>you can't actually defend anything about this game
Yet all you do is use statements like "it is trash" or "le bad game", but you never elaborate. You never explain why it is bad, you just say it is. These are signs of a low IQ.
>>
>>7984480
>How do you survive compressing all of the fourth dimension, Anon?

With magic.

Literally magic. That's why she is a sorceress.

How many extra chromosomes can one post have?
>>
>>7984825
I told you why the battle system is bad
I told you why the junction system is bad
Everyone knows how broken the game is
Everyone knows how horrible and nonsense the plot is
Everyone knows how terrible the writing is
Now try to defend any of it you little wannabe contrarian faggot.
>>
>>7984831
I see...Inconsistent characterization can be explained away with "it's magic"...You know what? Other Anon was right, you folk really *are* the most retarded subset of the Final Fantasy fandom. Even moreso than 7 and 10 fanboys, which is a feat I never would have dreamed could be accomplished.
>>
>>7967720
ff8 sucked plainly. ff7 sucked innovatively. ff9 sucked nostalgically. i couldn't be fucked to give squaresoft any more money after 9.

ff6 was a great story and great characters with retard gameplay.
ff5 was great gameplay with a retard story and characters.
ff4 was milquetoast.
ff3 was goat.
>>
>>7981612
ATB was an overhyped meme. Unless you double your opponents speed it literally plays the same as the earlier turn-based RPGs but with more waiting. Rather than taking turns as quickly as you give commands you watch your party stand around like retards waiting to act while an ATB bar fills up. It was just a gimmick from Japan to try to cover up the fact JRPGs are a blatant ripoff of western RPGs with gayer protagonists.
>>
Edea makes me wanna try anal on an asian tranny
>>
>>7967720
I love FF8, and the junction system is a neat concept, but it's too easy to min/max early. It's mechanically broken, but the story, characters, music, art and all that make it worth it.
>>
>>7967780
The only spells you need to cast are meltdown and aura, then Renzokuken the enemy. If you're not doing that on boss battles (and Enc-none should be on), you're adding unnecessary time to your playthrough.
>>
>>7981647
ATB system put much more pressure in player's decision changing the dynamic of the system from strategy-based to adapt and improve. I don't entirely disagree with the point you're trying to make but if you played these games (FFI and FFII/IV) as a kid or an early teenager, particularly against boss battles, it made a huge difference in combat. Of course if you were already familiar with the game or if you were playing it when you were older and more experienced with RPGs, there was not a world of difference between ATB or turn-based.

I also don't know why you're larping on the JRPG denomination but it had nothing to do with switch to more action-oriented battle systems. Japanese RPGs put more emphasis on storyline and characters that you did not mold and allowed for less role-playing than western counterparts. The battle system or character development system barely had anything to do with that since RPGs originating from Japan could very well provide systems akin to the western counterparts if they wanted to (but more often than not choose not)

>>7983921
I don't think you can give the player the freedom that the junction system gives and then not expect it to be broken and taken apart when the player masters the tools. There's no middle ground with a system designed like that. I think where Final Fantasy VIII fails is in using the enemies/bosses as the barrier to this kind abuse which would have worked wonderfully as evidenced by Omega Weapon - if you want to survive that battle without exploiting invicibility status, you need to attribute a function or task to each character so they work together to bypass Omega Weapon's instant kill attacks. This is one my biggest criticisms with the game.

That being said, I still love how Final Fantasy VIII is one of the few FFs that lets your role-play with your creativity being the driving force of it. Even if unfortunately there's no reward for doing it so.
>>
>>7984614
Summoning GFs is not part of the battle system you mongoloid. It's a command given to your by the junction system and you don't ever need to use it unless you want to have a summoner type in your party. But by the looks of it, it seems I have already figured out your first playthrough. You were a brainlet coming from Final Fantasy VII who remembered how powerful summons were and breezed through Final Fantasy VIII using GFs until that didn't work anymore. Got pissed, probably quit, filtered, etc etc and then when you played the game again went through some guide to wreck the game with zero difficulty and alas look at this piece of shit game designed by retards for retards, objectively inferior, blah blah blah.

Oh and by the way, you should read the title of tables you're print scr'ing and use your brain instead of pasting stuff and looking like an idiot. That's obviously a mistake on the table because the values are the same but the actual values are to the left - and if you double checked your sources you'd notice that.

>>7984907
Sure it might have been overhyped but you cannot honestly say with a straight face that playing Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2 with active mode felt the same, for example.
>>
>>7985000
I did Aura/Meltdown/Lion Heart with Squall/Zell/Irvine from 1999 to 2013 and it got boring...you are not telling me anything that I do not already know. I know what you say is true, but I legitimately think that casting spells is more fun and challenging. Casting magic is very blatantly sub-optimal, but the spells look pretty and 2x 3x is fun. Wishing Star is one of my favorite limits in the series.
>>
>>7984957
Why not just a regular asian woman?
>>
>>7985108
because I want a big flapping asian cock shooting loads of cum while I slam that ass. I know I'm disgusting, it's just the way I am.
>>
>>7985143
Big Asian cock? What planet are you from?
>>
>>7985145
Somehow there are a lot of Asian trannies with really big dicks. They exist on this earth for just for fucking, and spreading every STD under the sun and in the book which is probably why they have those scorpion tattoos.
>>
>>7985041
>Summoning GFs is not part of the battle system you mongoloid
You are a literal fucking retard. You cannot summon a GF at any time but in battle, you can cast magic, and use items outside of battle, and anyone would rightfully call you an idiot if you said those are not battle abilities. Just fucking stop with your idiot takes on everything. Own up to your shit taste, admit you can't defend a single thing about the game, and move on with your life.
>>
Yeah it's a great game except you can just spam GF's all the time and do not really have to put much effort or strategy into the battles thus it feels like the combat system in more then a little broken.
>>
>>7985050
Based I guess??
>>
>>7984876
>ff7 sucked innovatively
Materia system is fantastic, even if you don't have to test all of its possibilities until you face the superbosses.
>>7985002
>I don't think you can give the player the freedom that the junction system gives and then not expect it to be broken and taken apart when the player masters the tools. There's no middle ground with a system designed like that.
The problem is that "freedom" in this case is tied to stats, which is the element that should be most carefully balanced in ANY rpg. You're not actually getting a freedom of builds or abilities (the best example for the latter would be FFV), just "freedom" to be an untouchable walking god or not to be. Anything else is a super larp (yay, I'm gonna roleplay 3 mages, who all do 1/3 of the damage they would do if they attacked physically!)
>That being said, I still love how Final Fantasy VIII is one of the few FFs that lets your role-play with your creativity being the driving force of it. Even if unfortunately there's no reward for doing it so.
V and VII provide better systems for creativity and recreation. VIII for all the "freedom" it provides, it provides poor fun because the abilities aren't as engaging, the different damage methods aren't as balanced and so on.

I think the game was kinda rushed in the end --they took 3 years with VII, but 2 with VIII. Given how experimental the latter was, it would've benefited from more testing. It's unbalanced as hell.
>>
>>7985325
GFs are useless. Squall and Selphie's linit breaks are the only attacks.
>>
>>7985840
Selphie's LB is the worst by far.
>>
>>7985749
>roleplay 3 mages
Only two mages, Squall is still physical damage god.
>>
>>7985858
Vincent/Zell make for better damage dealers, since they can deal up to 2x damage with crits (Squall can only do 1.5) with high LCK, and their LBs are better as well.
>>
>>7985867
I know, but physical damage is too easy and boring. I'm playing through the janky remaster right now and I am about to fight Cerberus at the end of disc 2. Squall is 19, Rinoa is 16 and Quistis is 15. I have 0 magic junctioned to stats, only stat gains are from levels and ability junctions. I will defeat Cerberus with a combination of Squall physical damage and Rinoa magic dps with Quistis healing.
>>
>>7985878
Game's surprisingly well balanced if you don't junction magic to your stats. Which means the junction system is basically overkill.
>>
>>7985879
The junction system is definitely overkill, but like another anon said earlier in the thread, you can't really expect a system that gives you complete numerical control over stats to not be broken. I guess if they took the time to balance it and refine it more, it could be better, but the game does feel a bit rushed.
VIII has a lot of flaws and is far from perfect, but it is still my favorite sp game.
>>
>>7985840
8 has the best limits in the series by far.
>Selphie's linit break
Lol
>>
>>7986120
You can Rapture/The End a lot of bosses.
>>
>>7986243
Yeah, but cheesing is boring and gay.
>>
>>7984851
>7 and 10 fanboys
7 fanboys are the CoD mountain dew and doritos fans and 10 fanboys are just pure reddit. 8 fans do not seem so bad in comparison.
>>
>>7986269
I play efficiently.
>>
>>7969410
>he junction system (...) blows ass
Omega brainlet detected
>>
File: images.jpeg.jpg (28 KB, 554x554)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
Why bother? It's gonna hurt me
It's gonna kill when you desert me
This happened to me twice before
It won't happen to me anymore
>>
>>7986658
>8 fans do not seem so bad in comparison.
8 fans are prototype 10 fans.
>>
>>7987136
I really do see River in that face.
>>
>>7985886
That's a game they should remake. The story is already solid, but the mechanics need an overhaul.
>>
>>7987190
It's prolly intentional, to a degree. Cross-cultural exchange with America doesn't start breaking down in earnest until about Obama II.
>>
>>7986243
>>7986689
The End is not reliable nor efficient. I've only seen it like 3 times in my multiple playthroughs.
>in b4 open disc tray trick
cheating
>>
>>7985749
>Materia system is fantastic, even if you don't have to test all of its possibilities until you face the superbosses.
I'd say the biggest gripe the Materia system was is that it's much limited to game progression - while early on you can experiment with some combos and setups it takes quite a long time until you come across materia to make it really shine.

>You're not actually getting a freedom of builds or abilities (the best example for the latter would be FFV), just "freedom" to be an untouchable walking god or not to be. Anything else is a super larp (yay, I'm gonna roleplay 3 mages, who all do 1/3 of the damage they would do if they attacked physically!)
I get what you're trying to say - playing the game as efficiently as possible can only be done in an handful ways but I disgress at the lack of freeodom of builds or abilities as you can manage traditional job systems early on or just straight up mix them (turn one character into a dark knight and paladin at same time by junctioning darkside / defend / cover / drain to status attack).
You can always see the main abilities that you can junction from a GF so you can work on them fairly soon after you obtain them and it's really up to you to come up with whatever build you want to experiment on. It's a shame you're never required to go to those depths to get through the game though. I think players trying to learn the junction system properly on their first playthrough would feel immensely rewarded for that.

>It's unbalanced as hell.
I'd certainly agree with this. They could have kept the system intact but they really needed to restructure a lot of enemy/boss attacks and patterns to make it work a bit better. But given how endless the possibilities are and how complicated the system was for first-timers (and mostly kids playing back then) I think getting to that sweet spot without stalling the player at a certain point in the game was not an easy task.
>>
Did Gackt poster leave after rule change?
>>
>>7987549
By the looks of it yeah.
>>
>>7987549
Hopefully. That guy was weird
>>
>>7987186
desu. 8 and 10 have fans due to their minigames.
>>
>>7987136
River Phoenix looking dude
>>
>>7987190
River or Rivers?
>>
File: river-phoenix.jpg (125 KB, 1200x900)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>7988357
River, as in River Phoenix.
>>
>>7967763
>drawing spells for 20 hours
Holy crap what a brainlet
just accept the fact that FF7 was your first FF and you were mad that 8 wasn't FF7-2.
>>
>>7988731
imagine waiting over a week to respond to a message you didn't even read past the first 15 words and then calling someone a brainlet.
why are ff8 fags so unbelievably dumb? do they all just pretend to like this game because they're unironically retarded and truly think its some deep complex game? people with an IQ over 80 just equip the magic that makes the stat go the highest and move on, I'm sorry basic math is a herculean challenge for you.
>>
>>7988827
Mate if you spend 20 hours drawing or 20 hours playing cards you are low iq.
>>
>>7987549
Thankfully
>>
I just started playing it again for the first time in 15 years. I'm having so much fun just walking around Balamb Garden listening to the music and talking to NPCs. I'm bad at the card game still. Any quick tips to make this playthrough enjoyable?
>>
>>7990267
>Any quick tips to make this playthrough enjoyable?
Don't abuse the systems you know goddamn well could easily be abused. Turn your brain off for any of the 3D ones. Same with any retro Final Fantasy, really.
>>
>>7990292
I'm a smooth brain so I've never broken it even though I've heard it's easy to do in this game. Honestly I think it's a little confusing but I really like the setting and characters. So I'll still be able to beat it if I just casually use junction and not minimax or anything?
>>
>>7990440
yes, only tip I have is to teach your GF the skill to turn items into magics asap. This stuff should have been hinted at in the drawing tutorial
>>
>>7990440
>So I'll still be able to beat it if I just casually use junction and not minimax or anything?
Game is easy as shit. Don't even need to play cards or spend 10 minutes drawing. Just turn the items you gain from battles into magic and you'll be set.
>>
>>7987549
Everybody knows Gackt's FF equivalent is Genesis from CC.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.