[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 61Q7witp0xL._SL1000_.jpg (108 KB, 992x1000)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
when this was new i rented it and played it for a day straight without sleep. i told friends about it, how you could jack cars. they thought i was making it up. nobody believed me for a few weeks until someone else played it
>>
For me its the London expansions.
>>
>>7960737
I loaded all of the playstation games on my PSP Go playing via the dock it was pretty sweet.
>>
I tried playing GTA 2 on PC recently, but frustrating mission design, no map, and lack of manual saving filtered me.
>>
>>7960818
it sucking as a game may have something to do with it
>>
>>7960824
I would have enjoyed it back then, and maybe even today if better open world crime simulators weren't available. Honestly I wouldn't mind Rockstar making an updated 2D GTA to fill in the time until GTA 6.
>>
>>7960835
i remember telling all my friends you can brap and belch at the press of a button and nobody believed me, they straight up thought i was gassing them up until someone else played it
>>
>>7960824
yeah without the novelty of being the only thing of its kind its pretty shit to actually sit down and play. i like the world and aesthetics though
>>
>>7960910
i just mean gta 2 was crummier. i think the first gta and the london pack are solid to play still
>>
>>7960737
>how you could jack cars. they thought i was making it up. nobody believed me for a few weeks until someone else played it
And then everybody in the short bus clapped
>>
>>7961018
bruh, they didn't do that shit on console games back then. it sounded like horseshit
>>
Loved both GTA1 and GTA2 as a teen, but they're both pretty frustrating. GTA1 has some serious issue with the driving...you can't literally avoid to crash into every single other car on your path. Lot of fun tho.
>>
For me it's GTA2 with a car full of mines to see how long I can escape the police
>>
I remember replaying the demo again and again
>>
>>7960824
>>7960818
Play Grand Theft Auto 3 Gang Wars mod, it has a respect meter like GTA 2, you get bonuses for max gang respect.
>>
>>7960818
sad
>>
>>7961406
I remember playing the 300 second pc demo over and over again too anon
>>
>>7961406
>>7961530
>commit crimes
>get police after you
>lure as many in as you can
>ka-fucking-boom
Endless entertainment when I was 10
>>
>>7960737
First time I ever saw this game a friend was playing it while me and another friend watched. I saw him driving around like a maniac and thought it looked interesting, then I saw him run someone over. We were like wait, did you just kill a random innocent person? He snickered like beavis and said yeah ehehehe, then he got out of the car and started shooting people. We were blown away. He stole someone else's car, ran him over, police were after him and he drove around the city like a psycho. We couldn't believe our 10-11 year old eyes. He got it via a PC Gamer demo CD, before long we all borrowed it and all had it installed on our PCs. It's funny thinking back to this now -- how GTA was at one point an obscure game that came out of nowhere but is now the biggest gaming franchise there is. Our introduction to it was random and accidental.

The demo version had a time limit, you could do all you wanted but once the clock ran out you had to restart. You'd get a score/statistic summary at the end of the level in the menu. We used to compete with each other on who could get the highest score within the time limit. I had the highest score for the longest time, then I went on summer vacation, came back and my buddy had obliterated mine. He had found a route to get all the kill frenzies and he had made something ridiculous. I conceded and congratulated. By that time the full version had come out and the demo competing days came to an end.

Yeah GTA was magical. It's still a great game. I think we had more fun with the demo version than we did with the full release. I like how the original GTAs had a more arcadey feel to them. They had somewhat of a TV game-show quality to them, too, with the announcer and stuff that would comment on your pickups, laugh when you did kill frenzies, etc. Every time you started the level you'd hear people cheer and the guy say "GRR-AND THEFT AUTO!" Good stuff.
>>
>>7961406
>>7961530
>>7961560
Based. I'm glad fellow boomers exist here that know what I'm talking about.
>>
Rockstar need to make a new GTA with a sci-fi dystopian setting like GTA2 already, that world was so good. Sadly it will probably won't happen. Hell if they did that now people would accuse them of ripping off Cyberpunk.
>>
Bad guy easy version of APB
>>
>>7960824
Zoom zoom!
>>
File: 1626088746630.png (1.02 MB, 1239x788)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB PNG
>>7961593
>then I went on summer vacation, came back and my buddy had obliterated mine. He had found a route to get all the kill frenzies and he had made something ridiculous. I conceded and congratulated. By that time the full version had come out and the demo competing days came to an end.

Ah, the end of summer and of innocence ;__;
>>
File: 1588398518521.gif (3.99 MB, 432x480)
3.99 MB
3.99 MB GIF
>>7961530
>>7960912
>>7960818
>>7961406

For me, it was that crack you could get online that would disable the time limit on the GTA 2 demo.

never did find the tank though in the demo :(
>>
>>7961530
I played it on a Official UK PlayStation Magazine demo disc.
>>
>>7963764
yea but you still couldn't play at dusk which was reason enough to buy it
>>
>>7963764
i would pump a hot lump o' cumo into prime Leah Remini's pussy. gott damn.
>>
File: 1564396732311.gif (70 KB, 420x315)
70 KB
70 KB GIF
>>7961602
>Rockstar doing anything other than current year
You have tiny hints of the sci-fi dystopian setting in GTA 3 but by VC it was dropped completely.
Zaibatsu was still a thing and I just don't know why they dropped it so hard, you could tell GTA3 was supposed to be like 3 if you look at the Phone Call missions, but they dropped it for a linear story of revenge and w*men.
No really, Maria's a cunt and we'll never find out if she got shot or if Claude just shot up in the air to scare her, however we'll still find out what Micheal and The Gang are up to in GTA VI not like I give a shit.
>>
>>7963760
https://youtu.be/tgaYtpHThIQ
>>
>>7960737
It was really impressive to me back then how there were 3 cities you could choose from. Great value, they could have easily just had one.
>>
Always good
>>
File: gta1.jpg (223 KB, 800x984)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
the soundtrack was god tier.
I miss when they couldn't afford to just throw in a bunch of licensed music and instead had to create their own fake bands and shit
>>
>>7965154
>GTA = LoZ + Quentin Tarantio
What kind of retarded take is this
>>
>>7960818
It came with a big paper map.
>>
>>7963947
Rockstar's official stance is that 2D, 3D (GTA III series) and 4+5 are in different universes. So CJ didn't abandon the hood and let it get taken over by Ballas in GTA5, just a different universe so it's not at all interesting. Donald Love will never get to be a US president, he's from GTA3 and GTA online zoomers never played it. But maybe there will be a different "funny" Trump parody character in 6.
>>
>>7966170
>he's from GTA3 and GTA online zoomers never played it
Boy oh boy I can't wait for totally-not GTAIII content for III's 20th anniversary to be added to GTAO rather than doing something meaningful.
>>
>>7961330
This is meant to encourage you to drive on the sidewalk. The trade off is that you'll run pedestrians over and attract police attention. Bikes in GTA1 can't run people over but they're MUCH harder to control.
>>
>>7960889
I once started following a pedestrian hitting that button over and over again. He started running away and I kept following hitting that button. He ended up jumping in the sea tp escape.
>>
>>7963947
I wish the Zaibatsu stayed as a main antagonist or just a looming presence after 2, they seemed so perfect for the role.
>>
File: 1625980699426.png (977 KB, 740x913)
977 KB
977 KB PNG
GTA1, London and 2 give me life. I fucking love those games.
>>
File: 1549671648009.jpg (145 KB, 1440x1080)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>7966235
GTA ended with VCS, they don't care about the old universe, yesterday playing GTA 3 it hit me, play the 2D and 3D games are like playing with your action figures as a kid, there's so much to do, the NPCs feel janky when you kill them, but it's still fun, and lots to do, you can even make your own fun.
GTA IV-V is like watching a movie, you're not allowed to get creative, I heard especially in 5 this is bad.
Remember in GTA 3 whacking Curly Bob? Remember how you could jack a taxi and drive him there? Do you think they're do that in 5?

>>7966691
You can always pretend Zaibatsu was Love's side-organization but I get you, I liked that in 3 they were a pharmaceutical company that also made a card the Maibatsu Monstrosity, the 3D era was the best in my opinion, but that's when it became more and more movie like, it was a very slippery slope.
GTA 3 - Crime Drama about revenge where you double-cross the world
GTA VC - Scarface: The Unofficial Game of the Movie
GTA SA - Boyz In Da Hood turned Conspiracy Theory, lots of character development on Carl's part
GTA LCS - Not really The Godfather/mob/mafia story about what happens when the character sent to Sicily comes back from hiding and has to work his way back up
GTA VCS - Weird amalgamation of getting exiled, brotherly bonding, and being a family man
I have a soft spot for LCS but 3 and VC were among the best and I'm not afraid to admit it.
2 was amazing and the game should have stuck with the respect meter system, I'd have loved to be able to gain rep for the yardies or triads.
It really felt like 3 was gonna be like 2, but we have nor proof and Rockstar is very tight-lipped.
>>
>>7966752
>Do you think they're do that in 5?
The distinction between 3D and HD isn't more freedom, but a lack of restrictions. That is to say outside of the relatively few scripted encounters (i.e the chase against OG loc in SA where he is invincible) the 3D games play by their own world rules and don't restrict you by additional, well restrictions. HD GTA suddenly stops you cold if you try and go beyond the intended way to play.

Curly bob is actually an excellent example - if the HD games had that mission the objective marker would be a block away which - when reached - would show a cutscene of him jumping in the taxi and speeding away (along with despawning everything around the taxi to prevent the player from blocking its path). What does III do? Simply give you a timer and get told "be there for when he leaves the club". Anything the player can do is fair game for the mission.

Pic unrelated.
>>
Having a shot of this at a friend's back in the day was like trying crack. I've never had withdrawal symptoms from a game as badly as this. Fleeing from the police across a huge city was just so fucking cool at the age of ~10 years old. After going home, all I could think about was how I needed this game. Dad wouldn't let me have it, but my mum bought me GTA 2 which was based of her.
>>
>>7967273
Why does VC have such a great fucking atmosphere?
>>
>>7968031
Everyone likes a tropical setting.
>>
>>7968951
vice city also has great use of low-res textures and fantastic lighting
>>
>>7969017
Style beats raw fidelity every day of the week.
>>
File: 1551998944785.jpg (43 KB, 720x720)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>7961330
>GTA1 has some serious issue with the driving...you can't literally avoid to crash into every single other car on your path.
learn to drive :^)
also don't play with an unlocked frame limiter
>>
>>7969031
This, and I would also argue that well though out world design beats size any day of the week as well. The problem I always had with SA was with how mundane everything looked, the game constantly presented you with vast stretches of suburbia, highways and forests. VC's map is far more compact, but there's a landmark everywhere you look and every single location in the game is used for story development, absolutely nothing goes to waste.
>>
>>7969494
>The whole desert goes to waste
>Back of Beyond never plays a part
SA went with quantity over quality and it shows.
>>
>>7966752
>GTA IV-V is like watching a movie, you're not allowed to get creative, I heard especially in 5 this is bad.
>heard

So you literally haven't even played? Jesus fucking christ, IV is the best game in the series btw, not that you'll ever know since you'll never play it
>>
>>7969703
>IV is the best game in the series
You misspelled LCS
>>
File: 1600694320848.jpg (45 KB, 749x673)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>7969703
Listen faggot, I played IV all the way through at least 3 fucking times before you even had hair on your balls.

>>7970027
My brother.
>>
Dead Skunk In The Trunk Is The Best
>>
>>7963764
God damn I wanna ravage that pussy.
>>
>>7961426
>that fucking character model
>>
>>7972572
GTA 3D is the most useless mod I've ever seen or heard of.
>>
I remember bugging my mother as a 10-year-old to get GTA2 despite it having an 18 cert, heh.

It's crazy the effort they put into the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaolgDmK_Xs

Some of the tracks were actually licenced, except that they were extremely obscure tracks from extremely obscure bands. One of my favourite tracks from GTA2 was "Taxi Drivers", which was put out on a three-track vinyl in NYC in 1996 by a band that didn't do any other vinyls:

https://youtu.be/qbIFx1u8jzc
>>
i wind the window down so i can breaaathe~
>>
>>7973131
can CJ breathe?
>>
>>7966697
they don't make them how they used to anymore
>>
>>7961593
Reminds me of how I first encountered the series.
I got a phone call from a friend an he told me I had to see this thing.
I thought he was exaggerating when he said you could steal cars, work for gangs and murder people, but when I got there and saw the demo I was blown away.
I told him how amazing this would be if they ever remade it but in 3D, so when GTA3 came out we went crazy over it.
>>
Completed 1, both London addons and 2 about 2 years ago, just for completionism. Original one is fun, but feels kinda archaic. GTA 2 is great, almost like a good modern indie. Love it.
>>
>>7976451
I wonder if glitchpunk will live up to its claims as basically being a cyberpunk clone of GTA 2.
>>
>>7976468
holy shit did it really?
no lmao
>>
>>7960737
I used to play this in my website design class in high school. Never made it far in just 20 minutes but as long as your work was done the teacher couldn't give a fuck what else you did in there.
>>
File: rape-sign-Small1.jpg (22 KB, 480x480)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>7960737
Shitty game for shitty human beings
>>
>>7960818
>lack of manual saving
You just go to the church to save don't you? When I played it I made a spreadsheet calculating the cost per save and how many missions I'd have to do so I was able to save after every mission.
>>
>>7966752
V is the only GTA I've played only once. There is no reason to ever go back and do it again. Once was enough.
>>
File: 485614512152.jpg (20 KB, 830x480)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>7971581
It's good, but it isn't a Ray mission so can't be the best.
>racing to answer payphones
>nading the snitch's safehouse
>backing up Phil against the Columbians
>finishing off the snitch who's now in a full bodycast
>last mission that rewards you with a bulletproof Patriot, and ends with the cool "see you in Miami" nod to the next game
>>
>>7977257
This game is not meant for pansies like you. Go play Yoshi's Island. Seems to be more family friendly for pansies like you.
>>
>>7977257
>he wrote, on 4chan
>>
>>7977286
I never even finished V, it was the first game I sold in a decade because I couldn't even play offline singleplayer on my 360.
>>
>>7977376
>tfw we will never get GTA 3 Miami, where after Claude betrays all of Liberty he fucks off to Miami
>>
File: GTA3 18_12_2020 21_40_59.jpg (1.33 MB, 3840x2160)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB JPG
>>7978641
I imagine GTA III miami would be a much darker game than VC is.
>>
>>7978662
Yeah, it would've been edgy garbage, VC was a good time and a half, still I wonder what could've been but it probably would've been shit.
>>
>>7978671
>edgy garbage
You are retarded if you think III is edgy and even more retarded if you think this hypothetical game would be as well.
>>
>>7978679
>3 isn't edgy
I love 3, but it takes itself too seriously, especially coming from 2, 2 was a while fucking no-holds-barred balls-deep ride with lots of laughs.
There's so many dropped concepts you can see, it's incomplete, it's great for what it is, but it kind of falls short and once your realize that, it's hard to forget.
>>
>>7978684
>COME TO DADDY HEHEHEHEHEH
that was like something straight out of gta2
>>
>>7978704
The moments like this are far and few in-between and those guys were drugged out of their mind.
>>
>>7978704
>CUM TO DADDY
how did they get away with it?
>>
>>7978671
>edgy garbage
Go back to >>lgbt tranny
GTA3 is based.
>>
>>7979605
By cribbing aphex twin.
>>
>>7960835
>Honestly I wouldn't mind Rockstar making an updated 2D GTA to fill in the time until GTA 6.
i've always thought that gta should be handled like zelda, with new top-down games periodically coming out in between the major 3d titles. unfortunately, rockstar doesn't have to make games anymore since zoomers keep buying shark cards instead.
>>
>>7979867
k
>>
>>7961593
> how GTA was at one point an obscure game that came out of nowhere
sorry that's not true. just because you were 4 when 2 was out so you didn't know it didn't mean it wasn't widely known. come on dude
>>
>>7980276
the original game, when it came out, was unknown. the grand theft auto series didn't exist. there wasn't a lot of press about it beforehand, it was a small game that came out of nowhere
>>
>>7979985
sharkcards are on TakeTwo in fairness. i fucking abhorr taketwo. soulless corporate dumbasses.
>>
>>7980315
what game is not unknown before it comes out?
>>
>>7980330
in comparison to back then, today games are widely publicized on the internet and are seen much more before they come out. gta was not on the radar, at all. i read multiple videogame magazines and nobody knew what it was
>>
>>7980315
>was unknown
[laughs in max clifford]
>>
>>7980276
you really dont know what youre talking about stupid /vr/ incel

>>7980315
>>7980336
this
>>
>>7966752
I loved the writing in the old games because of how little it called attention to itself, they were clearly smart enough at the time to know that's not why people were playing those games. The entire plot of those games almost felt like afterthoughts someone wrote over their lunch break, meant to just get the player character to the next place to murder someone.

Everything from Vice City onwards started leaning into the frat guy demographic, and it only ever got worse over time. Pretty much everything in GTA 5 really comes across like they're trying way, way too hard to be funny, especially with anything involving Trevor.
>>
File: GTA2 Wasted.gif (887 KB, 320x180)
887 KB
887 KB GIF
>>7960824
>>7960912
Hm, I never knew that GTA2 was considered worse than 1. I had 2 growing up and enjoyed it for what it was, but also found it really difficult and sometimes frustrating. Might try GTA1 sometime, since i never went back to it, assuming it would have been the same as 2 but with less features based on what I saw in screenshots etc.
>>
>>7981841
The real problem with these games is if you've beaten the first map, you've seen them all.
>>
gta1 can't be superior to 2 when you consider that it has a fucking lives system
>>
>>7982117
oh and i forgot to add that you die in one hit unless yoy memorize armor locations
>>
>>7963947
When you say Zaibatsu was still a thing, do you mean the ads for the car? I thought that was the 'Maibatsu Monster', not Zaibatsu?
I did remember being disappointed at the linear story for GTAIII when it first came out, I wanted to work for the Mafia and get mad respect, but you're forced to do what the story says.
>>
File: san andreas (2).webm (2.9 MB, 320x240)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB WEBM
>>7982121
just dodge the bullets
>>
>>7982904
There's ads for the car and a medicine called Equinox by the Zaibatsu corporation, if you want to get mad respect here's something, Anon.
https://www.gtagarage.com/mods/show.php?id=19060 It's a mod that adds a respect system and gang-like missions to GTA 3, while the missions can be generic at times it's still a good mod if you've played GTA 3 a shitton.
>>
>>7966137
Old game journos were as retarded as modern ones.
>>
>>7981841
>GTA2 was considered worse than 1
Only by retards.
>>
>>7983548
To be fair GTA 1 was already outdated by the time it came out, so it makes sense for GTA 2 to get panned for only being a slight update to the formula.
>>
what's the best way to play GTA2 on Win10do?
>>
>>7984047
Flycast
>>
>>7983097
That sounds really fun actually, thanks! I haven't played GTAIII in years, but this sounds like a fun alternate way to play.
>>
>>7960737
It’s unplayable by today’s standards. One of the hardest games I’ve ever played
>>
>>7985959
The main problem I have coming back to it is shooting accurately is fucking impossible, there is no assistance on targeting despite only having directional keys to aim.
>>
>>7985981
2 at least had some kinda aim assistance. 1 was barely acceptable as a game and got by on concept alone.
>>
File: image.php.png (156 KB, 512x512)
156 KB
156 KB PNG
>>7960737
wtf is up with the dreamcast cover?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.