[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: fallout.jpg (13 KB, 297x170)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
what is /vr/s opinion on these games
>>
1 is one of the finest rpgs ever made and one of my favourite games of all time.
2 is pretty okay.
>>
>>7957964
2 is the most replayable crpg in existence.
1 is a good introductory to the series, but severely lacking in variety.
>>
>>7957970
1 is good and 2 is alright i like 1 more
>>
I don't like them because I hate the UI. I can't even play them because the UI drives me fucking nuts.
>>
>>7958070
the UI is not that bad there is a manual that explains it
>>
>>7958070
The UI's pretty great by crpg standards, especially compared to the abortions we saw from infinity engine games. What problems were you having with it?
>>
They're some of my favourite RPGs. If Fallout 2 toned down the goofy humour, it could be a near perfect game.
>>
2 is bigger but the story is weaker and it has a lot of cartoon tier references, its very cringy.
>>
Fallout 2 had an awful opening level
>>
>>7957976
>every NPC interaction is some silly joke that is fun for exactly one playthrough
>most of the content is faction based, making it fun for exactly two playthroughs: one for west side of town, one for east side (a third for Reno)
>more main story quests you have to repeat each time, making some playstyles less viable
Yeah nah I'd much rather replay F1 thank you.
>>
>>7958705
>yeah nah
You okay, anon?
>>
>>7958660
You can run through the entire thing in a fucking minute, nerd.
>>
>>7957964
I've replayed Fallout 2 maybe 20 times. It's easily the best game in the series, and half of what makes New Vegas good is a rehash of 2. Anyone that bitches about pop culture references or the short tutorial level is a retard.
Fallout 1 is extremely easy and poorly balanced, it doesn't have much content, and the wasteland isn't that interesting compared to the post-post apocalyptic societies of 2 and New Vegas, but it's still notable for being an RPG where combat isn't the solution to everything. I recommend both games, but 2 in particular is one of the greatest RPGs of all time.
>>
>>7958705
None of that is true. It's amazing how many people on this board trash games that they clearly haven't played or were filtered by.
>>
hey anons i have a really crappy ass pc and i'm new to fallout .
some specs:
intel core2duo e7500
3gb ddr2 ram
what workable mods should i absolutely install (like the one where children are added ).
>>
>>7958851
>Fallout 1
https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-et-tu-release-v1-6.218045/

>Fallout 2
https://github.com/BGforgeNet/Fallout2_Unofficial_Patch
OR
https://github.com/BGforgeNet/Fallout2_Restoration_Project
>>
>>7958859
i checked it b4 man but i don't think they've added any system requirements.
>>
>>7958859
>>7958861

>https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-et-tu-release-v1-6.218045/
>>
>>7958758
I remember not being able to beat up the dude at the end due to poor RNG and almost dying to the fucking scorpions. It got easier with how the game worked
>>
I love Fallout 1 and 2. Though the 2nd was my first game in the series I went back and had a great time with Fallout 1. I encourage every enjoyed of CRPGs to give them a go (if they haven't already) and explore some of the interesting total conversions that are on offer like Nevada.
>>
>>7958979
>some of the interesting total conversions that are on offer like Nevada.
What does it add?
>>
>>7958990
>add
It's a total conversion from a bunch of fans. I only played Fallout 1.5 and Fallout Nevada but both are fantastic and feel true to the spirit of the original games. New stories/worlds which are more or less unrelated to F1/F2.
>>
I love both these games despite not liking vidya RPGs in general.
>>
>>7958886
You can talk the tribal at the end into notfighting you. It's what I usually do on characters without hand-to-hand or melee, because that dungeon almost forces you to use one of them.
I always make more interesting and varied builds in FO1 because it seems less like it wants you to use certain skills, besides speech which is almost required for both.
>>
>>7959387
If you like these games but not most RPGs, try getting your hands on the GURPS roleplaying system. Fallout was originally a GURPS tie-in game before Steve Jackson pulled the license since the game was too violent (lol), but the DNA of Fallout can still be seen in in GURPs.
It's a great system that's super easy to pick up and might get you into liking RPGs more. There's so specific setting, classes, and shit. It's there for you and your friends to make your own cool worlds and stories.
>>
>>7958070
learn the keyboard shortcuts, kid
>>
>>7960345
>It's what I usually do on characters without hand-to-hand or melee, because that dungeon almost forces you to use one of them.
Melee and Unarmed have the highest base values of any skills exactly for that reason.
>I always make more interesting and varied builds in FO1 because it seems less like it wants you to use certain skills
It's the exact opposite. Most skills in FO1 are practically useless to invest points in, whereas every skill in FO2 gets decent usage, even if some are more useful than others.
>besides speech which is almost required for both.
Not at all. Speech is probably the most overrated skill in FO2, because it doesn't grant you access to any special rewards, and it has no utility in dungeons except against the final boss. You need 70% to complete Lara's questline, but that's the only content you are locked out of. You also need >8 charisma and intelligence to pass every speech check, assuming you don't fail any rolls.
>>
>>7957964
Hasn't aged as well as it should imo but the gameplay is still fantastic by today's standards.
>>
>>7960581
Yeah. Fallout is infinitely more fun and accessible than tons of other CRPGs like it, like Baldur's Gate, etc.
>>
>>7958070
filtered
>>
>>7960348
I only have a problem with vidya RPGs. And gurps is cool in theory but getting people to learn a new tabletop system is a pain in the ass
>>
Fallout 2 is such a better game that it makes it hard to go back to 1.
>>
should i even paly fallout 2 if i have no clue about the cultural references?
>>
>>7961036
I agree, but only because there are so few decent weapons.

>>7961360
If you're a zoomer or ESL, you probably won't even notice they're there 9/10 times.
>>
>1
better game
>2
better rpg
>>
>>7961407
>If you're a zoomer or ESL, you probably won't even notice they're there 9/10 times.
oh ok
>>
>>7958070
Press F1 faggot.
>>
>>7960348
I tried Gurps 3 and it was fucking awful.
>>
Full 1980x1280 resolution on m3-7y30 with Sfall DX9 shits, ever possible?

Also help, I can't build any character without Gifted trait
>>
File: image0.jpg (682 KB, 2320x3088)
682 KB
682 KB JPG
>>7957964
Babylon fallout 2 is better because the cenutrion legatus is there and he is funny with the bronze armor legatus legeatuisass
>>
>>7957964
1 is an amazing game that sucked me in for hours despite some of the clunky stuff.
2 had me bored after about 10 minutes and I never picked it up again.
>>
>1
well crafted, concise, satisfying
>2
ambitious, expansive, enjoyable
>>
>>7960581
>but the gameplay is still fantastic by today's standards.

Not really because of how broken agility is. Now if it wasn't so broken I'd maybe agree the games are fun but agility is that broken that it deserves a few points deducted for that alone. Not having full AP is to handicap yourself in these games.
>>
Is there a foolproof guide to getting F1 to work on modern systems? The game wouldn't launch at all for me so I installed the Fallout Fixt mod to hopefully increase compability, which at least allowed me to start the game, but I played for only forty minutes and the game randomly crashed to desktop twice.
>>
>>7962869
The Temple of Trials is such a great pleb filter
>>
>>7963081
Every other game that allows you to meaningfully spend points towards the advancement of your character is equally able to be min-maxed. If you're unable to enjoy a game without engaging in the compulsion to min-max, you can't blame the game.
>>
>>7963216
Agility is way too damn good anon. I don't care what you say if you don't have the full AP it makes these games much more lame to play. You don't need full agility at least since you can take a perk and if you know where to go can get an upgrade sooner than later but yeah it still ruins things too much.

I have never really played any other RPG where this is so much of an issue with a stat point. Morrowind it kind of sucked to play with such abysmal running speed so getting the boots of blinding speed not only made it more fun but practical but I wouldn't say to the extent of how much Fallout improves though. AP dictates every fucking thing you do during combat. How could you not pump it to the max? Why would you want to play a shittier version of the game? The stat needed a rework or for turns to handle differently idk. Actually maybe Fallout 1 and 2 would have been better as ARPG with a atb system instead.
>>
>>7958995
I thought 1.5 was very good but I had to drop Nevada because the English translation falls apart when you get past Reno. Obviously this isn't a problem if you can read it in the native language.
>>
>>7963231
Every RPG is like this, and morrowind is probably the worst example where the optimal strat is to pick up a ring of toxic cloud and then just not even engage with the combat system at all for 95% of the game.
>>
>>7963231
>AP dictates every fucking thing you do during combat. How could you not pump it to the max? Why would you want to play a shittier version of the game?

Nowadays I always max it out (leaving room for later additions). But back in the day I would often make characters who had less than optimal Agility, and I don't think I missed much. It's just another tradeoff.

>How could you make a char who doesn't have maximum carry weight? What a hassle, do you want to play a shittier version of the game?
>>
>>7963263
But at least Morrowind was fun to experiment with and you'd have to play through it enough to know these things. I guess with Morrowind its fun in its brokenness imo of course. All those enchant gear and what enchanting can do is fun. Spells in general were really fun in Morrowind. With Fallout its not so fun though. Lacking AP sucks.
>>7963271
Well maybe it worked for you but I can't even imagine playing through the games without it being optimal. It would probably piss me off too much to even try. The games are great though otherwise.
>>
>>7963378
>I can't even imagine playing through the games without it being optimal
There's the problem, which brings us back to >>7963216
>>
>>7963378
>It would probably piss me off too much to even try.

There are only a handful of places where it's essential. The military base, in both games, requires lots of AP to play the hide-around-the-corner game. But those are both optional fights.
>>
>>7963497
Pick up a rank or two of Bonus Move, it's lifechanging.
>>
>>7963582
Real chads take Jet.
>>
Fallout 1 and 2 are the best fallouts

I do not give a shit what dipshit might say

my only gripe is the amount of foreign guns in it
get this kraut shit out of here
>>
>>7957964
I like the later parts of 1 but the opening is complete rng regarding whether or not you get ganked and instakilled in the desert.
>>
>>7963101
Try Fallout et tu.
>>
>>7957964
Whatever the opposite of the right opinion is.
>>
>>7957964
I prefer fallout 3. This period was rich for crpgs, but fallout didn't age as well as other games at the time.
>>
Only the first two Fallouts are worth playing.

>>7965423
Not true, you just made a shitty build.
>>
>>7965435
Bait
>>
Reminder that a character with 6 AP or more is UNKILLABLE in the Temple of Trials, because punching and walking 3 steps makes ants and scorpions unable to attack, and even a mythical "my punches are only 5% success" fraud talking out his ass does NOT have an excuse.
>>
Were Fallout 1 and 2 supposed to be an AAA-class title?
>>
>>7965682
No, they weren't supposed to, but apparently Fallout still cost moderate big bucks anyway - that team at Interplay (which would become Black Isle and then Obsidian) it got put onto was apparently sort of for budget-titles but it still wound up costing 3M, in 1997, which wasn't Square-Enix style budget busting but was still high. It must have looked like a money sink. Fallout 2 got even less development time but got to reuse loads of assets and all the systems were in place for rapid development of additional assets, so it got to be more expansive anyway.
>>
>>7965798
>(which would become Black Isle and then Obsidian
Obsidian != Black Isle
Black Isle actually made good games
>>
>>7965812
Obsidian were founded by Black Isle staff while that ship sank.
>>
>>7957964
I have played bits of FO1 but none of 2. Its interesting that in Fallout 1 you can join the Unity of Super Mutants, along with in the code there's unused factions such as the Pit Vipers, along with other cut content such as time limit involving the gradual encroachment of the Master's forces onto the Wasteland. From what I have seen and heard of Fallout 2, I find the humor can indeed be too much for some people, however, for a time it puzzled my as to why you not only are unable to join the Enclave like you could the Master's Unity in Fallout 1, but neither could you do work aiding them. I also am puzzled as to what happened to most of the Brotherhood of Steel personnel by the time the events of the game start, as well as why the downed Chinese submarine area was cut out.
>>
>>7965682
that was not a meaningful term in the 90s, especially for PC games
>>
>>7965994
>as well as why the downed Chinese submarine area was cut out
Because it was just filler to extend the main quest. I'm only upset that they cut the true purpose of the Enclave and vault experiments, so that they could reveal the mystery in Van Buren.
>>
I had trouble getting into F1 and ended up quitting because of the annoying time limit. The combat is quite bad and really shows how good of a system that RTwP really is. There's no magic or team and there is tedious turn-based-isometric combat.
>>
>>7966028
>Fallout 1 has no magic or teams
>What are PSI aka psyker abilities and Companions.
>>
>>7966082
They are uncontrollable companions so not really a team.
>>
>>7966089
I haven't gotten past the "Stop the Radscorpions" quest from the first stint at Shady Sands, but can't you at least interact with the companions at times?
>>
>>7966121
The only interaction is that they enter combat at the same time you do. From what I remember you can't control what weapons they carry.
>>
>>7966028
the time limit may as well not be there anon
>>
>>7966000
Sure, but big budget titles did exist, so it's a meaningful term now that refers to a concept that did in fact exist at the time.
>>
>>7966167
Not really, but maybe it could be if I went back and found the bonus water days.
>>
The only reason these games even had to TRICK you into thinking they had time pressure was to make you afraid to spam waits to invalidate the healing skills that mostly just amount to Waiting But Better. Least sometimes there was doctoring for special interactions out in the world.
>>
The one time I played Fallout 1 I was screwed by a bug that wouldn't let me talk to the Overseer to return the water chip. Really felt dejected after that.
>>
>>7966528
>being that dejected over a simple random bug
>>
>>7966528
Back when I read patchlogs of these games I used to wonder how many first time players just quit when they got fucked by the enormous amount of show-stopping problems in them. Like the F2 one where you could lose half of your car to the map void just for visiting the wrong places, along with the contents of its trunk, which could mean losing important items. My first few playthroughs didn't even contain getting the car though.
>>
>>7958183
Not him but inventory stuff is pretty vile
Solution: don't be a pack rat retard
>>
>>7963081
This is my #1 complaint with any crpg, the games character creator gives you 5-6 options minimum but you're completely screwed if you don't lean towards combat
>>
>>7967595
You can do full pacifist runs of Fallout 1 and 2 if you really want to. It's actually the lowest effort way to get through most situations.
>>
>>7967445
I didn't feel like continuing side quests in a game I couldn't complete and I didn't feel like starting over after dumping so much time into the game. You call it a simple bug, but it was game breaking.
>>
>>7967951
>it was game breaking
Did it do anything beyond making the game crash or freeze?
>>
>>7967595
Fallout 2 is better about this than nearly any RPG game. You have to actively dodge all the ways to be successful in this game, because with even middling Charisma you can play the game as a party manager with a strong party, even if you made a 3 AP combat-averse ape on purpose. The other ways to be successful and complete the story usually involve Science or being Stupid.

An anon in one of the previous Fallout threads memed the character sheet you need to have to get the least ways to win the game, and it was the most overspecialized sheet you'll ever see. It had 1 AG, 1 CH and 1 IN and specifically the only 3 useless skills tagged, specifically the worst traits, and still admitted the game was most certainly completable. Basically no one except someone who really knows what they're doing trying to screw themselves would screw themself so hard, and you can still win. The character also had to have 10s across the board otherwise to even get those important stats that low.
>>
>>7968365
NTA but the most common type of bug in Fallout 1 and 2 were actually dialogue and quest scripting bugs. Just an ocean of that type of bug. Those weren't hardlocks but they were softlocks if it was critical for the main plotlines in any way.
>>
What would be a proper penalty for (save-editing)All-10-SPECIAL build?

Also, is controlling party members directly too cheap or dumb much for this game?
>>
>>7969448
Don't do either of those things. You already get way more stats than you need with Gifted. For a fun build, 10 LK and Jinxed. I guarantee you'll have a blast.
>>
Why was the Brotherhood of Steel such a minor part of Fallout 2? The Enclave sees them as basically secessionists who betrayed the USA. It would have been rad to see them fight each other in FO2.
>>
>>7963271
>How could you make a char who doesn't have maximum carry weight? What a hassle, do you want to play a shittier version of the game?
the brotherhood and enclave armors give +3/+4 strength having more than 6 will be wasted
>>
>>7969768
Don't forget the strength module
>>
>>7957964
It's alright. Replayed both of them recently, and I came to the conlusion I like the first game more. The second has better gameplay (more weapons and perks), but I think the story is better in the first one. Enclave never made much sense at all, and they felt disconneced from the game. Their reasons always seemed to be "lol we're evul". Master was a better villain and with a better rationale (I still believe it is absolutely retarded he suicides immediately after being told something is off with virus, as if they wouldn't try fixing this shit first or altering it). Le 400 pop references and quirky atmosphere felt inferior to the more grounded tone of the first game. Ultimately RP choices are pretty shallow and the game mostly hangs on nice world building and fame as one of the best RPG games, but I think they are both massively overrated. I think I prefer Fallout:NV as a game. All of them are unfinished as shit and it's very glaring at times.
>>
>>7958830
It's all true.
>>
>>7967573
you wouldn't lose your trunk or the items contained within and it would actually show up in cells as you travelled around, just a disembodied trunk. it was convenient in some ways but you lost the car for getting around
t. fallout fan since 1999
>>
>>7969669
Because the brotherhood is very tiny, and they have essentially no presence that far north. If they revealed themselves, the enclave would easily crush them. Bethesda's retcon where they're this supremely powerful organization operating in the open that has the manpower to go toe to toe with the enclave is silly.
>>
>>7965258
Everyone knows german guns are the best.
>>
>>7971074
The Enclave also was quite covert when it did fit them. Also there's many decades between Fallout 1 to Fallout 3. Organizations can and do change in their structure over time. Plus, the Brotherhood of Steel is not all than tiny in size during the mid-late 22nd century, they sure aren't Shady Sands, Khans or the Jackals during Fallout 1. Oh, and during those years in between the end of Fallout 1 and the beginning of the events in Fallout 3, there's nothing that says they couldn't have gradually grew over time not only in SoCal and the neighboring Southwestern states such as Arizona and Nevada, but also expand their presence to other regions of North America by any means they can muster. Certainly, aircraft and air travel outside of what the Enclave had didn't get completely wiped out during the Big Nuke of the Great War of 2077, so there is no actual reason to believe every time the BOS sent men to explore and find viable resources or establish new outposts, it was only by ground transport. Fallout Tactics shows the overt use of functioning aircraft by the BOS in its beginning cutscene in addition to speaking of the remnants of Chicago.
>>
>>7972038
>Organizations can and do change in their structure over time
They didn't, though. See New Vegas. Bethshit exists in a separate canon.
>>
>>7957964
I enjoyed the first one a little more. Both are great though.
>>
>>7963210
but fallout 2 is a "pleb" magnet, so that doesn't make sense
if anything it's a patrician filter
>>
File: 1625856175439.png (352 KB, 811x660)
352 KB
352 KB PNG
How regularly do these two go on sale?
>>
>>7971074
Wasn't the Brotherhood just a military battalion that found shelter in a military base? I also can't imagine how they would have the resources to craft the old technology, they most likely had to scavage the wasteland for weapons and armors. Increasing numbers would not be an easy task.
>>
>>7972810
All the time. Usually it's a collection with 1, 2 and Tactics on Steam. I got it for like £2 once.
>>
>>7973046
I stand strong on the position that Tactics is canon.
>>
>>7972810
just pirate it anon, these companies got run into the ground years ago

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.