[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: not donkey kong.jpg (98 KB, 600x813)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
It was a popular arcade game that sold well and was well received by players, got released on the Atari 8-bit family of computers, the Atari 2600, and 5200. (It's a crime that it was never released on the 7800, which would have been a perfect fit.)
It even got its own Saturday morning cartoon show, so what gives on no sequel?
The arcade game itself has been released on the PS4 and Switch too, so it's just weird that there's no sequel that I can find or even any discussion of it.

The game itself is easier than Donkey Kong, the game it's meant to compete against, yet is still pretty tough, although I prefer it, maybe because it hasn't been run into the ground.

tl;dr great popular game fell off the face of the Earth for a while, why no sequel?
>>
>>7850484
I dunno, just didn't have the staying power of other arcade games.
>>
>>7850751
Sure, I guess it might have gotten overlooked the next year when Star Wars (the vector graphics one) came out in '83, but with all their success, you'd think they'd want to at least try and cash in with a half-assed sequel and call it a day, but not even that.
It's a shame they didn't do a 16-bit sequel with more cut scene animations, hidden levels, more abilities, more enemies, some bosses and a real ending and it could have been worthy.
It can still be done, but does Sunsoft even make games anymore?
(typos fixed fer reel)
>>
>>7850789
They just needed to take the Namco approach and port it to fucking everything.
>>
>>7850873
I guess so. Kangaroo 64 could have been good.
>>
>>7850484
Loved playing this on the 2600 growing up
>>
>>7851240
It really is fun despite its technical limitations.
Do you remember the cartoon show?
>>
>>7851252
According to wiki the kangaroo was a character on something called Saturday supercade.
>>
>>7851328
Yes, I'd forgotten all about it until coming across it a couple years ago.
>>
>>7850484
>Why does Kangaroo not have a sequel?
Because they didn't make one
>>
>>7851786
Butt y
>>
>>7851821
Because no who could make it happen wanted to
>>
>>7852129
>the people that made a bundle of money didn't want to make even more money
I don't understand. Something happened. Is the game cursed? That's it, isn't it?
Best I can find is pic related (part 1) detailing a developers hatred for the game and why, so maybe had something to do with it, who knows.
>>
*developer's

The game was made by Sun Electronics (Sunsoft), so maybe news of this memo put a bad taste into Sunsoft's mouth? Seems weak there.
Just weird. Seems they could have easily made a sequel and printed money.
>>
More importantly where is pepper 1?
>>
>>7852173
>Pepper II is an arcade game programmed by Exidy and published in 1982. Despite its name, there was no predecessor named Pepper or Pepper I. Its gameplay is similar to the game Amidar by Konami and Stern Electronics.

And btw After Burner I is the upright, After Burner II is the cockpit, I think.
>>
>>7852158
>>7852168
Atari being butthurt is par for the course. They just licensed it after all.
>>
>>7852158
>people wanted to make a bundle of money instead of hot garbage
What's not to understand?
>>
>>7852806
>implying Kangaroo was hot garbage
>>
>>7852806
But they did make a bundle of money with Kangaroo at the arcade and at home.
I've checked around and there's some shit talk over the game, but pretty much almost everyone likes it. It's hovering around 93-94% approval.
>>
>>7852380
I know they licensed it and one of their guys got jealous that someone else made a better game.
No one's ever heard of "Fly Boy", while Kangaroo is a golden classic.
>>
File: kangaroo 2600.jpg (67 KB, 352x500)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
C'mon this game also featured one of the first female video game protagonists, it needs more love.
>>
>>7852168
>The game was made by Sun Electronics (Sunsoft)
Oh come on, seriously? Every time I think the west came up with at least or two good cartoon mascot centered arcade games in the early 80s (Japan was releasing games like Donkey Kong and Pac-man left and right) it turns out the game was Japanese after all. It wasn't until a recent /vr/ Burgertime thread that I learned that game came from Japan, and now I learn that Kangaroo was Japanese too. So what does leave America, Q-Bert? Is that really it? Just Q-Bert? Did everything else in the North American arcade scene center around shooting shit?
>>
>>7855021
lol Not sure why, but that's rather funny.
Dragon's Lair, although, I'm sure you don't think that counts because it's not cutesy enough.
>>
>>7855021
Tapper (Bally Midway) That's cartoony.
Also Kozmik Krooz'r's mascot went for two games, the other being Whacko. I'm sure there's other American ones that fit the bill even more, so take heart.
>>
>>7855087
No, I guess Dragon Lair counts. I didn't say it had to be cutesy, just feature a recognizable cartoon character on the cabinet. Dirk and Daphne are memorable.
>>7855101
>Tapper (Bally Midway) That's cartoony.
Ah, there we go. Somehow I forgot all about Tapper, and I love that game.
>>
>>7855143
>Somehow I forgot all about Tapper, and I love that game.
It's a keeper, and for some reason think it's appropriate that the world record for it is held by a cute 20-something gal and not one of us.
>>
File: timber.jpg (79 KB, 1280x720)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>7855143
Are you not counting Kosmik Krooz'r and its sequel because they shoot stuff?
Anyway there's also pic related and features the same character from Tapper, I think. This much is certain, the cabinets for Timber were converted Tapper and or Root Beet Tapper cabs.
>>
>>7855159
>Are you not counting Kosmik Krooz'r and its sequel because they shoot stuff?
Well I meant like iconic or at least semi-iconic characters. How many people really remember Kosmik Krooz'r? I appreciate that it exists and that Bally Midway, after seeing what a huge hit Pac-Man was for them, was taking notes from the Japanese and introducing their own colorful and imaginative games, but I just don't know if I'd put it in the same league as Tapper. Of course I could be talking out of my ass and the Kosmik and Whacko were much bigger hits than I realize.
>>
>>7855479
>How many people really remember Kosmik Krooz'r?
Probably quite a few since they're still in operating arcades and also are in some collections for various systems within the past 20 years, like GC.
>>
>>7855021
Road Runner
>>
File: Kickman (upright)-1.png (20 KB, 480x512)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
>>7855021
>>
>>7857092
Whoa that's a big one too.
I raise you pic related.
>>
>>7852158
>April 5, 1982
I Love Rock 'n Roll was the #1 song on the Billboard that week.
>>
>>7857102
*Just remembered it's the arcade being discussed, but for the home market the post is correct.
>>7857097
Dang that obscure, nice catch.
>>
>>7855021
Actually prior to Pac-Man almost all Japanese games also just consisted of shooting stuff. The original goal of the game was to appeal more to women.
>>
>>7857103
It was empirically a better time, as you can see.
>>
Shouldn't Gauntlet also count?
>>
>>7857106
>The original goal of the game was to appeal more to women.
Is that why Silly MAMEchell wears his hair like a woman's?
>>
File: kickman (C64).png (42 KB, 1366x768)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
>>7857105
>Dang that obscure, nice catch.
How could I forget Kickman of all things? I played the C64 version (the sole home conversion of the game) when I was 6. It was like literally the first video game I ever played.
>>
>>7857109
>>7857103
>>
>>7857115
You're bringing back memories of playing Conan, Math Baster, Moon Patrol, and Lunar Lander on an Apple ][e with the monochrome green screen, anon. I had forgotten all about Kickman. Blame Jumpman for taking that spot up in my brain.
>>
>>7857110
Too generic? I dunno, for me I say they count.
>>
File: mouse trap.jpg (19 KB, 480x360)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
The Colecovision port is more famous than the arcade though.
>>
>>7857130
Looks like me speccy.
>>
If you count Berzerk that was also American. Like Mouse Trap it wasn't made by one of the big three (Atari, Williams, and B-M) and it's apparently more well known than its manufacturer (Stern Electronics).
>>
>>7857143
>If you count Berzerk that was also American
Yeah that counts as iconic seeing as how arcades the world over use Berzerk outlines for their artwork;etc.
>>
OK, not early 80s, but mid-80s this pic related definitely used an iconic American character.
>>
Here's a biggie that should quality because while it's from 1985, its content is from 1984, arguably, and it's American and as iconic as a cheeseburger robbing a train.
>>
I'd honestly imagine it's because "Kangaroo" is such a generic and ubiquitous word. I mean we aren't getting games that are just named "Golf" or "Tennis" or "Video Golf" anymore either. No franchise potential. Hell even the Trademark symbol next to Kangaroo has an asterisk next to it, like the very fact that it's trademarked needs additional qualification due to the word being too common.
>>
Choplifter was made by an American, and Superman was too.
>>
Maybe Superman is in the arcade version too?
There's got to be more early 80s American ironic characters in arcades games.
>>
File: SAT_BUG_TOO.jpg (88 KB, 640x1081)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>7857278
>I'd honestly imagine it's because "Kangaroo" is such a generic and ubiquitous word.
You may have had a point if it weren't for the fact games like pic related exist
>>
>>7857189
Who put Shirtless Batman in a drum?
>>
>>7859818
And why does he keep going into the drums?
Why does he need rescuing?
Why is he shirtless?
These questions and more will be explored tonight on Unsolved Vidsteries.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.