[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: riven.jpg (131 KB, 1280x720)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
about to play this after loving the shit out of Myst: Masterpiece Edition
What am I in for?
>>
>>7718085
A lot of disc switching and load times.
>>
>>7718085
play the soulful PS1 version
>>
>>7718085
Better world building but fucking horrendous puzzles, don't feel bad about using a guide when you get stuck, because it's worth the humiliation to experience the good stuff the game has to offer.
>>
The number system is base 25. There I just gave you a clue on unraveling the game’s autism.
>>
>>7718117
>don't feel bad about using a guide when you get stuck
I really really enjoyed having my notepad with Myst. Just felt like I was transported to another time and place. I had to look up a guide once but other than that it was right on point in difficulty.
You're saying Riven is more esoteric or what?
>>
File: 20210128152052_1.jpg (182 KB, 1920x1080)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
>>7718153
Don't listen to him. Riven is much more challenging than Myst, but the game is sure to give you enough clues to complete each puzzle. The main difference that makes Riven more challenging is that while the ages of Myst were all self contained, Riven allows the player to travel between islands freely, and often the clues to solve a puzzle on one island is found on another. If you ever get stuck on a puzzle it's good to go to another island and investigate something else.
>>
>>7718250
Sounds a little ambitious but good to know.
>>
>>7718250
>Riven allows the player to travel between islands freely, and often the clues to solve a puzzle on one island is found on another.
that sucks, I like self-contained puzzles. knowing that I'll have to fuck off to the other side of the world to find something necessary for another puzzle blows ass. then it's not about solving puzzles but about treasure hunting.
>>
>>7718125
Ackshully it's base 5 with the second digit rotated 90 degrees and superimposed on the first. Don't spoil that shit though, that was one of my favorite puzzles.
>>
>>7718098
You mean the version that required five disks, had slower animations, and very long loading times?
>>
>>7718982
CD version is unplayable
>>
File: FB_IMG_1616237418160.jpg (41 KB, 1080x608)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
Check out a WIP called Neyyah
>>
I've never played Myst, what version should I play?
myst: masterpiece edition, realmyst or Myst VR?

From what I understand Myst: masterpiece edition is just the original done better, realmyst is a remake from the 90s and the VR myst is a new remake. This will be my first time and I just want the best experience.
>>
>>7719776
OP here. Maybe I played RealMyst then because it was fully 3D and interactive. Definitely helped for someone doesn't really like the point and click tediousness.
BUT the graphics are so much more soulful in the original it's not even close.
>>
>>7719776
Play the original
>>
>>7719725
Looks interesting. Just finished Quern and really liked it. Always looking for more Mystemups, especially ones with interesting architecture.
>>
>>7720531
The Room series is a more puzzle oriented mystlike, worldbuilding isn't as prevalent in the series but the puzzles are fun and give off a myst vibe. Would also recommended Obduction, it's made by the same people that made myst.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.