[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 51 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: mw.png (2.57 MB, 991x1293)
2.57 MB
2.57 MB PNG
What was it like playing this on PC in the early 2000s?
>>
My neighbor owned a copy of this game when I was a kid and the way he was describing it to me made it sound so unreal. I thought he was lying about everything. He said he could be jailed if he murdered a villager or was caught stealing. He said that he gained levels based off of how much he practiced them. He told me that he played the game for days and barely saw the whole map. When I finally came over to see it I was blown away from what you could do and just how big it all was. In Current Year all these things sounded so trivial, but at the time it felt like this was the new generation of vidya.

Now that I'm older and know more about TES I'm aware that Daggerfall did a lot of this years before (and with more depth in some aspects), but I can confidently say that Morrowind was way more accessible considering all that it had going for it.
>>
Fun af
you could open the console and give yourself 3000 acrobatics and jump across the map
>>
>>7714869
*sound so trivial
>>
>>7714869
>In Current Year all these things sounded so trivial
How so? Morrowind was peak, after that the complexity in 3d RPGs only went down.
>>
>>7714873
It was a typo. I just meant that these days all those things are expected in a WRPG, but back then it felt like a turning point.
>>
The ability to murder every NPC, steal anything and go anywhere in a game as a kid was amazing.
>>
>>7714871
you cant do that now?
>>
>>7714873
>Gothic 2 was peak
FTFY
>>
>>7714826
Pretty amazing, in fact I wasn't smart enough as a kid to really appreciate the game at all until a few years later.

>>7714871
t. Tarhiel
>>
But how did it run on an early 2000’s PC?
>>
>>7715624

Depends what you had. A Geforce 4 MX could run it ok but without the water effects. A 9800 pro made everything smooth as hell.

But even with very high end cards, even over the next decade, people would usually turn off shadows

The fog was adjustable so it was usually a case of adjusting fog on the fly

Much later on when we had distant land etc did people thinking about purposefully adding fog at a certain distance to maintain the feel of the game. It used to be a rush to just extend the fog distance every upgrade

And somewhere like Vivec had almost everyone setting their fog to low. I don't think any setup at the time could handle that place with full fog

If you wanted to understand it I would suggest just watching the xbox version. The xbox was as good or if not slightly ahead of high end PCs at release
>>
>>7714826
Honestly it was great, I remember making my Imperial bard and being so excited to explore the world. I was a kid back then. Morrowind seemed like the best thing ever. As I get older though I keep wondering what it was like playing games like Daggerfall when they released or just gaming on DOS in its prime in general. I was only there at the very end of its life and other computers like the Amiga were before my time. I kind of wish I could have been there as well. Nowadays I mostly emulate to get a taste of it, but the itch to really experience it is not scratched.
>>
Honestly I remember some friends thinking it was already dated when it came out. Fallout 1/2 already did half the stuff mentioned in this thread years earlier and didn’t have as many filler NPCs on top of that.
>>
File: img1-20538.jpg (33 KB, 590x590)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>7714826
I picked it up in the bargain section of EB games for PC for 5 or 10 bucks roughly a year or 2 after launch and i wasn't impressed.
I thought the combat sucked and dropped it, i still maintain the same position on it today.
>>
I just bought oblivion at a garage sale for a buck. Never played an elder scrolls game. Should I wait and play Morrowind first or just go for it and play oblivion?
>>
>>7715902
Oblivion has better combat, but has worse basically everything else.
>>
>>7714826
It was a difficult but fun experience. The best way to play was legitimately on the OG Xbox at the time. It ran like such ass on PC and crashed frequently. But it was well worth it. Tribunal and Bloodmoon patches fixed a lot of the buggyness and made it run better. But better graphics cards were out by then so it wasn’t much of an issue.
>>
>>7714826
I was shocked my how clunk, ugly, generic and unpleasant this game felt compared to FFX on my PS2.
Later I got summoner 2 and Star Ocean. Never touched morrowind again.
>>
>>7715907
Maybe if I play it first I’ll really appreciate how much better morrowind is
>>
Taking FP sandbox RPGs to brand new heights, that no one's dared approach since.
>>
>>7714826
I played it on Xbox, and I did so for like ten years
>>
File: oblivion sucks.png (3.41 MB, 1024x2304)
3.41 MB
3.41 MB PNG
>>7716053
Possibly.

Things which Oblivion does:
>a minigame for lockpicking that's easy to figure out with practice, even if your Security skill is really low you can pick basically all locks
>the speech minigame is simple, and conceptually *extremely* retarded
>axes and blunt weapons are the same weapon category now
>there's no crossbows or throwing weapons, there's no spears or halberds
>blocking is an active button to hold down, rather than a random chance (which is nice)
>enchanted items can not be repaired by you unless you grind up to 75 Repair, prepare to pay up a lot of fucking money to afford to use anything that's nice until you do
>quest rewards are leveled to you, if you score a cool artifact early, it will remain forever nerfed in your playthrough, so you're punished for doing things early (there's a mod which fixes this)
>enemy encounters are awkwardly scaled to your level as well, you'll stop seeing low level goons and monsters once you turn high level, which has its pros and cons
>random lowlife highwaymen dressing up in expensive AF armor and shaking you down for pocket change so they can live in a shitty tent by the road is a consequence of this scaling
>a lot of random shit that you find is worth so little money that there's no point in carrying it with you at all

I don't hate Oblivion as a game, but it's very flawed, and you straight up need to apply mods to have a game that's satisfying.
>>
File: MW-Map-Vvardenfell.jpg (1.86 MB, 2668x3095)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB JPG
>>7716053
Things which Morrowind does over Oblivion:
>you can try to repair anything at any level with any repair tool, but repair tools have limited uses and you can fail, wasting the durability of tools, you don't need to be high leveled to repair enchanted items
>lockpicking is just a skill check, which is less satisfying, but it also means that your Security skill actually matters
>there are spears/halberds and they have their own skill, axes are separate from blunt weapons in skill, and there are both throwing weapons and crossbows (there's not a lot of crossbow types though)
>armor is divided up into more parts, there's also a Medium Armor type, as opposed to just Light Armor and Heavy Armor
>speech is dependent on rolling your skills and stats, but it's consistent and not depending on a ridiculously retarded and arbitrary minigame, you can also plain bribe people (which does get kind of broken once you get rich, but arguably that's kinda realistic)
>there are lots and lots of random items in homes, stores, forts, dungeons, and caves, a fair bit of these are valuable for their given weight (some particularly so), so it actually pays off pretty well to gather a lot of random stuff lying around
>factions vary in questlines, if you join some factions you cannot work for some others, some questlines will conflict
>very few things in the game are leveled towards you, if you go certain places too early, you WILL get your ass handed to you on a Limeware Platter
>there are varied environments, instead of just generic sparsely forested grass plains and hills, there's swamps, there's rocky coasts, clearer coasts, volcanic ash dunes, rolling grassy hill lands for cattle grazing, muddy rocky wasteland coasts, as well as Solstheim from the Bloodmoon expansion, which is like a slice of Skyrim before Skyrim
>>
Oh yeah, in Oblivion you can use your map to arbitrarily fast travel anywhere (as long as it's marked to be travellable or you've discovered it already).
In Morrowind, you cannot fast travel like this, you need to find some kind of fast travel service, such as a boat, a mage's teleportation service, a siltstrider, using a spell, or use a specific teleport function through a series of linked destinations requiring a token for each (but no money on its own).
You don't need to have discovered the location though, you just pay for your ride and you're taken there.

Morrowind also does not give you a quest marker that just points you to every single quest goal, you're given directions and you need to follow them. Occasionally these directions aren't 100% clear (but there's realism and roleplaying in that), but usually it's straightfoward, and only one or two quests gives you the wrong directions.
>>
>>7714826
It was kino as fuck; I never even finished the main quest I couldn't care less, I just wandered around and did random things like enchanting armor so I could pearl dive all the way to the invisible walls in the Inner/Sea of Ghosts and just generally fucked off. It was great.

>>7716783
thanks for the map. I cannot find my original paper one anywhere that I scribbled all the shipwrecks and shit on.
>>
>>7716816
The main quest is honestly really interesting, if you liked the weird world and culture of Morrowind, then there's a lot of focus on that.
>>
I enjoyed it a lot. It was a special kind of adventure.
>>
>>7714869
>but at the time it felt like this was the new generation of vidya.
cause it was lol
>>
File: dagoth ur.jpg (505 KB, 701x1100)
505 KB
505 KB JPG
>>
>>7715907
Over all it has better quests while 95% of morrowind quests are thrash and filler
>>
I hate and love the journal at the same time. It could have been infinitely better with a few qol chances
>>
File: MaskofEternity.JPG.jpg (17 KB, 265x250)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
Why was Dagoth Ur wearing the Mask of Eternity, and where did he get it?
>>
>>7718237
>Oblivion quests aren't trash and filler
>>
>>7714826
>What was it like playing this on PC in the early 2000s?
Nowhere near as good as playing it on a modern PC with OpenMW.
>>
>>7719556
Fixing the bugs and upping the draw distance is very nice, true.
>>
>>7719253
There are some thrash butbhakf of the morrowind quests aee "bring me 10 flowers" "go fetch that" "kill that guy" while oblivion ones are more fleshed out
>>
>>7719614
good take not shit at all
>>
>>7719614
>"bring me 10 flowers" "go fetch that" "kill that guy"
Both games have quests like that, and it makes sense if you're the new guy that people send you to do basic bitch errands, because that's what you do with newbies, so that you can get your own important shit done on your own.

>while oblivion ones are more fleshed out
Rarely with anything of substance.
>>
>>7714872

autistic fat bitch faggot
>>
>>7719645
ok
>>
>>7715902
>>7716053
Me again
How the FUCK do I install this game on a modern pc? I tried installing it on an xp vm by mounting my disc drive but you can’t use the physical gpu in hyper v, so it won’t run. Then I tried virtualbox, but it kept telling me to hit some setting in my bios that wasn’t there. Pls help
>>
>>7714826
heaven, best game ever back then, i'd play it for days without stopping. I tried playing it now but just seems like bad graphics and kinda old. When obilivon came it was really good but really no competition to morrowind. Then skyrim came I didn't really enjoy that one.
>>
>>7714826
Amazing. You had an open world where you could steal everything not nailed down to the floor. And birds would scream and attack you from above.
>>
>>7715624
Ran good on my AMD AthlonXP and Radeon 9800pro. Even Oblivion ran pretty good on that system. It's a shame my Soyo motherboard died. I could fix it now, but I'm not sure where it got stashed or if I was dumb and destroyed it. That board would be worth some money today.
>>
>>7715890
Doesn't understand stats and dice rolls. LMAO
>>
>>7720102
Don't rightly know how to help you with that, I haven't felt the desire to play Oblivion in many years. For Morrowind, there's stuff like OpenMW, which I think should work.
>>
>>7714826
it was like killing 10 monsters for 0.01% in an asian mmorpg
then dying due lag and losing 2% xp and delevelling
>>
>>7720306
You don't need to kill anything to level up, you could play the game and fight almost nothing and still beat it. If you lost something due to not saving, and you can't get it back, then it's your own fault.
>>
I played it after SW KOTOR which came out about 1 year later, so presentation wise it was a jarring downgrade, from immersive dialog choices to choosing words for NPCs to monologue about.

Heck, even Fallout 1/2 towns were more alive and interactive.

Still, the freedom and amount of customization made it worth playing. Don't want to diss the game, it's still great.
>>
>>7714869
similar story here, a friend told us about it while we were eating lunch one day. he'd go on about all of these crazy things that could be done in the game and how the npcs were so like life. his dad burnt me a copy and I've been playing it ever since.
>>
>>7720102
you can use openmw or wine
>>
>>7720102
are you on windows? are you stupid? did you try just installing it? could you just install windows? I don't like windows either but there's really no other "it just works" choice for gaming.
>>
>>7720124
>Doesn't understand stats and dice rolls
I'm well aware of how that stuff plays out in CRPGs, and it's fun in games like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Jagged Alliance 2 etc.
Morrowind's combat just sucks ass and clicking your mouse while standing next to some enemy in a 3d game like that is boring as fuck and doesn't work in terms of it actually being fun.
It's an especially grueling task at lower levels.
>>
>>7720721
>It's an especially grueling task at lower levels.
It's not really. Just spec yourself for Str+End, then your preferred weapon type as a Major Skill, you should be able to have 50 in that skill from the get go, or close to it, and as long as you don't blow all your stamina running everywhere, you should be able to hit most of the time.
>>
>>7720758
Thanks for the advice, but no thanks.
I'd rather just play actual CRPGs with good combat and not Morrowshit.
>>
>>7720796
>can't do the most basic of building a character
>can't get himself past a hump of like, two hours at most, to build up stamina and skill enough that you'll hit 80% of your swings already
Suit yourself, I guess.
>>
>>7720649
Im installing from the disc, and I’m running Windows 8, which oblivion is incompatible with. I don’t want to just install it on windows 8 because I don’t want it to install some old ass driver that’ll break my computer. I’m using VMware now, and have a windows xp virtual machine that oblivion installed on very easily, except now it’s giving me this error (failed to initialize renderer. NixAdapterDesc::GetDeviceCaps() failed) which I’m pretty sure means that it can’t find my display adapter. However no vm manager I’ve used will let my vm access my physical video card, possibly because the one I have is stock and doesn’t support hardware acceleration
>>7720606
I’m gonna try wine and then if that doesn’t work I’m just gonna give up on oblivion and play morrowind instead
>>
>>7715890
>aim and align hammer at niggers head
>try to hit his head
>magic invisible sky dice gets a bad roll and the hammer dematerialize and not hit
>>
Got scared when I first encountered a skeleton and he just wrecked me in one hit
>>
File: Tux.png (268 KB, 878x1024)
268 KB
268 KB PNG
>>7721109
>WINE on Windows
Windows just can't stop losing. Imagine telling somebody 10 years ago that Linux has better backwards compatibility for Windows games, and more native games than ever.
THE YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP WILL RISE AGAIN!
>>
File: 1610332136667.jpg (3.32 MB, 1823x6451)
3.32 MB
3.32 MB JPG
The world was fucking INSANE, nothing that ambitious had ever been created before. I feel like I lived in a whole different world back then, especially with no online communities to reveal everything in a wiki

>deep lore
>>
>>7721717
>Watch the sky
>>
>>7714826
sad and had to play it on xbox instead
>>
File: 1610332038376.png (538 KB, 661x623)
538 KB
538 KB PNG
>>7722185

The Xbox version was fine, long loading, but what the fuck else were you doing in 7th grade that was so important?
>>
>>7721717
>Fargoth Ur
Top kek!
>>
>>7720796
Lol imagine turning down the experience of the most highly acclaimed and beloved rpg world just because you were a dumb shit who tried to do a custom class their first play through. I know that's what happened too because early game is easy with a premade class.
>>
>>7722193
I got the two versions. The original has manageable loading times. The GOTY version is unbearable.
>>
File: 1411201132569.jpg (64 KB, 560x556)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>7721109
>I don’t want to just install it on windows 8 because I don’t want it to install some old ass driver
>>
>>7721109
What old ass driver? I'm fairly sure that it just works on windows. Don't be stupid anon.
>>
File: balmora.jpg (1.61 MB, 2500x1406)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB JPG
>>
>>7724089
it's funny how tiny it actually is when you remove the fog and cruise around like this
>>
>>7714826
A tech demo, just like all TES games.
>>
>>7724089
Gay oblivionized generic fantasy land.

>>7724165
Distinct Vvardenfell landscape rendition undermined by contemporary computer tech.
>>
>>7724293
Take it back, you n'wah!
>>
>>7714826 Fucking good OP, Now I'm nostalgic as fuck for the time when I was an early teenager and didn't have to worry about so much shit

I hope one day we'll get good games again
>>
File: 1602629017891.jpg (9 KB, 184x184)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>7714826
Ran at like 15 fps on our Riva TNT2 shitbox unless you dragged the view distance slider all the way to minimum. Great experience.
>>
>>7714826
It blew my fucking mind that you had a huge open world AND (!) full first person view 3D that let's you experience the world as if you're really there.
>>
>>7726742
>>7726785

I love the "fog" so damn much. I know it is because of technical limitations but it makes the world appear mysterious and comfy and really fuels the imagination. Nothing is more retarded than removing it.
>>
>>7714826
Magic.
Whole lotta magic.
>>
>>7714826
it was cool. pretty immersive and deep for the time and a real killer app for the xbox when it came out. Of course playing on PC was better but the xbox version was pretty damn good too.
I personally liked Oblivion more since I'm not that autistic of an RPG player.
However since there's not as much handholding in Morrowind it becomes very immersive and feels much more realistic than Oblivion.
>>
I dont know about PC but I had a college roommate back then who was this hot model guy with long silky hair and toned muscles, and he got into this game on his Xbox. I mean, really got into this game. Started missing classes, even missed one of his final exams... started eating tons of Doritos and guzzling Mountain Dew nonstop as he'd run around Morrowind from morning til night, roleplaying lines out loud to himself at whatever he was interacting with ingame. It got to the point where he'd piss in his empty Mountain Dew bottles to avoid using the bathroom, and his room started to smell like shit and smegma. Dude must have clocked in 900 hours of this game, I didn't count, but by the time his Xbox started getting disc read errors and he couldn't play anymore he weighed over 300 pounds and had to drop out of college due to poor grades. Couldn't even score with women (or men, maybe, I guess... he seemed like a bit of a closet poof) anymore.
>>
>>7719614
Oblivion's quests, at least the factions, usually tie into some plot so at first they seem deeper but the plot itself is horribly written (except for the Thieves Guild) so it doesn't matter. Also they're way too linear for an RPG, which was clearly done to control the pacing but the pacing sucked regardless so it was a big fat disappointment.
>>
>>7716330
We honestly talked about Morrowind before the rule change too, it was a borderline game
>>
>>7718409
It was a telepathic amplifier that let him command his cultists and ash vampires. I think it was originally a Dwemer artifact.
>>
>>7714869
I played Daggerfall when it came out, it was impressive on paper but you don't actually feel that immersed when you are playing it. NPCs are randomly generated (at the time of development, not procedurally) and some are flat out broken, many towns are basically interchangeable, there is no reason to explore instead of using fast travel, you can buy many different boats but they all have the same functions so you only need the cheapest one, stuff like that.

Morrowind is the first game where I felt that all those emergent systems really were fully realized, so it was more impressive than Daggerfall despite not having 15,000 towns. While Morrowind has less, everything has a tangible effect on the world so it means more. So even having played Daggerfall first, I still had the same feelings of amazement and freedom that you had.

I was very much looking forward to seeing how they would advance the gameplay going forward from Morrowind because it did blow my mind that much, but sadly we've only gone backwards since then.
>>
>>7729147
I am convinced that 99% who hype up Daggerfall and talk about how much better it was than Morrowind never actually played it and just saw a list of its features and decided that because Oblivion was dumbed-down Morrowind, Morrowind must just be dumbed-down Daggerfall.
>>
>>7714826
IT didnt run on my POS so I had to install it on my mom's dell. There was a bug in the original release where chainmail armor from the town right next to the starter town would cause a crash for some reason. In fact lots of things caused random crashes, as was common with most software If feel like (compared to now).
All in all it was incredible. The world felt huge, the graphics were impressive and the setting was so different from everything else I had experienced.
I dont care about the morrowind contrarians, it was one of the best gaming experiences I had in my life.
>>
>>7729130
Where in the lore is this stated? It's something I've been curious about a long time but could never find any info about.
>>
File: balmora.jpg (102 KB, 1280x720)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>7724089

>home
>>
>>7729164
A lot of it definitely comes from Daggerfall Unity. A lot of wannabe oldfags played Daggerfall Unity and now wanna act like hot shit (ask them about any other old RPG and I bet they'd draw a blank) but probably couldn't stand the original Daggerfall since it has a lot of old game quirks and bugs Unity doesn't have.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.