[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

How easy is it to hack an Xbox? Is it worth the effort?
>>
fairly easy, just make sure the edge of the axe is very sharp
>>
It practically idiot proof to softmod if you have the necessary materials, and well worth it. I recently bought one to mod. I spent more on a good component cable, the console itself was only $25.
>>
>>7623664
Not OP from where did you get the console for cheap?
>>
Xbox has no games, just hack a Wii to get GameCube games
Easily the best version of all the Sonic games
>>
>>7623640
its great, but the hdd is small so you have to do the hotswap to a bigger one if you want to pirate.
ftp is pretty cool and you can do a bunch of cool shit with the console.

playing ninja gaiden with the hurricane paks was the main draw for me. intercept all day.
the picture is amazing with component and really the games seem like early 360.
>>
>>7623909
2/10, best I can do for you.
>>
File: soy.png (13 KB, 644x800)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>7623991
Am I wrong faggot?
Name 30 exclusives genuinely worth playing in 2021. If it can't even have that many quality exclusives, it isn't worth the purchase.
>>
>>7624019
3.5, final offer
>>
File: 1_Aad3rcP6yKOj3LgWqx75gA.jpg (94 KB, 1000x1000)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>7624037
>>
>>7623909
>Xbox has no games, just hack a Wii to get GameCube games Easily the best version of all the Sonic games
Fuck Sonic games give me Outrun 2006.
>>
>>7623640
It's a ton of fun to modify and even more fun to play. Xbox is a great system although it's starting to require a decent amount of work.
>>
>>7624019
Sega had like a dozen exclusives on it, and beyond those there were Otogi and Fable and I don't even own an xbox.
>>
how good is emulation of 4th gen consoles on softmodded xbox?
>>
>>7624158
slightly better than it was on a PC from 2002.
>>
>>7623672
People sell used Xboxs for cheap. I bought one faulty but knowing the DVD was still alive to be able to softmod it. Turns out the DVD tray wouldn't open because the belt was bad. Took some old HDD from my office hoping it won't eventually die and now I have every game installed on it.
>>
>>7624171
Eurofag here Xbox are extremely cheap around these parts, I got my unit at "goodwill" for about the equivalent of 15 bucks. To make things even better it came with the Xbox hd av pack. One controller-s and a Duke.
>>
not even op but i ended up ordering bunch of crap for 60€ including xbox, cables, ide drive and splinter cell. i hope this softmod stuff will be worth it and if not maybe it'll be at least a fun little project.
>>
>How easy is it to hack an Xbox?
very
>Is it worth the effort?
do you want to play sega games, steel battalion, or the best version of ninja gaiden? yes. otherwise, no
>>
>>7623672
Craigslist.
>>
Anyone tried Japan exclusive RPG Tenerezza? I played some yesterday, it seems pretty well made.
>>
>>7624171
You can use a thumb drive, you dont even need the dvd drive. Just have to spend 3$ on either controller port to usb adapter or a memory card slot to usb adapter.
>>
File: hqdefault-4.jpg (21 KB, 480x360)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>7623640
Well worth the effort. In fact, it's the best 16 bit emulation machine around. Native analog output means less input lag than other options. Before someone says the Wii, the emulators on Xbox have more recent updates, support more systems, and have decent, similar across emulator UIs. Only thing Wii has is 240p and better N64 emulation, but Xbox ZSNES can do 240p and other emulators might join it.
>>
>>7624019
Name 30 exclusives worth playing in 2021 on any console, retard
>>
>>7623924
You do not need to hot swap to upgrade hard drives anymore. Hasn't been necessary for at least 10 years.
>>
>>7623657
Lmao
>>
>>7627270
I thought xbox can do 480i? whats preventing it from displaying 240p
>>
So, do you actually need external stuff to hack an Xbox or is it just like plugging in some thumb drive and running an exploit or something?
I remember back when I hacked my Wii you had to own Brawl to do it and the game was still full price
>>
>>7627413
You need Splinter Cell (some other games also work) and a female USB cable to plug in to the Xbox to act as the memory card.
>>
>>7625382
>steel battalion

Doesn’t that also require the controller?
>>
>look through collection
>have MechAssault
>but it’s the wrong Platinum Hits serial

RRRRREEE
>>
>>7623640
Easy enough, I've done mine and a friend's one. I used a modchip for both but you just need to do some solder work for that (also some but less for the softmod)
Currently have a 250GB HDD installed, UnleashX dash and FTPed many games over to it.
Also did the trace repair as a preventative measure as it was starting at random sometimes. Also the clock cap too.
>>
>>7623909
There's hardly no games, I've played hundreds on mine over the years, even more when you consider emulation of the SNES, Saturn etc..
>>
Back in the day when I lived in Mexico this local mini super had several hacked original Xboxs and you could pay to play on them. I know for sure they had a SNES emulator on them along with a bunch of random games
>>
>>7627413
If you want a bigger HDD you'll need to do a TSOP flash (bridging two points on the motherboard) or modchip. Otherwise just for burned discs go with >>7627481
>>
>>7627570
Google Zsnexbox, probably that emulator. There's a Saturn one I think I've had on my Xbox but it wasn't very good beyond the popular titles. I remember trying Sakura Wars and it didn't play.
>>
>>7623640
You should remove the clock cap and install a modchip, it's also a good idea to just to a full recap of the board too.
>>
>>7627613
>You should remove the clock cap

This depends on your model of Xbox. Past a certain point they used better materials.

When I found out about this I went and looked up my Xbox's stats and found it's actually one of the safe ones.
>>
>>7627619
I'm assuming no one is retarded enough to buy a 1.6
>>
>>7627403
I don't know the technical details but the xbox only supports 240p output via a homebrew hackjob. The only emulator that supports it is Zsnes.
>>
>>7627270
Xbox ZSNES, damn son, that's ridiculous.

Do all the random Mario World hacks work on it? I wouldnt' be surprised since ZSNES hasn't changed since '04
>>
>>7623640
Of course it's worth the effort - if you want to continue using the thing; it's about now that you should think about getting the hard disk replaced.
>>
>>7623640
Second best console of that generation. And ironically it was the second best seller of that generation
>>
>>7629010
What’s the best, then? Choose your answer carefully.
>>
>>7623640
Xbox is easy af to hack
You can solder in a modchip, make your own modchip and solder that in instead of buying a pre-made one, hotswap a hard drive, softmod via save game exploits, twist together a couple resistors and diodes and shove the whole thing into your PCs serial port then cold swap the hdd
The hardest part is choosing which method to use
>>
>>7627576
you don't have to do that, you can just lock a new hard drive with the original hard drive key.
>>
if you need a USB adapter here's a good one:
https://chimericsystems.com/collections/uncategorized/products/controllers-usb-adapter
>>
>>7624019
I can't name any system with 30 exclusives that are good enough to buy a system just for those

Also stop posting pictures of yourself. No one wants to see that shit.
>>
>>7627547
yes
>>
File: samhow.gif (3.28 MB, 320x180)
3.28 MB
3.28 MB GIF
So wtf i gotta do to get all the fuckin xbox games on my xbox i own three of them i'll mod one i dont give a fuck
>>
I've decided to give this a try.

Hopefully the SATA-to-IDE HDD adapter I bought works. Apparently it's a bit of a crap shoot.
>>
>>7630012
easiest way is using one of the exploitable games, an old small flash drive and a USB adapter to run a savegame exploit to install unleashx.
then you can clone the hard drive by using chimp and a molex power Y-cable to connect a second hard drive in place of the DVD drive, then replace the original hard drive with it.
then to copy games you just need an FTP client like filezilla. windows explorer does technically work as an FTP client but don't use it, it sucks.
to find games you can look for "HDD ready" rips, or you can get redump isos from the internet archive and rip them with xbox image browser or XDVDMulleter.
>>
>>7623909
Good bait
>>
File: Spoiler Image (850 KB, 945x1114)
850 KB
850 KB PNG
>>7623991
>>7624037
>>7624041
>>
>>7623640
From what I've read, you need a very small capacity USB flash drive with at most 512MB of storage, an adapter cable to plug it into the memory card port on the controller, and a physical copy of Splinter Cell 1. Pretty inexpensive but the fact that you need a working disc drive (and a working disc) may be the hard part since the belts on original xboxes are very faulty.
>>
>>7630359
>at most 512MB of storage
this is not true. i don't know what exactly determines it but it's more about age than size. i use a 1GB drive and some people even have working 4GB drives.
smaller is more likely to work, certainly. i hear 512MB or less connected via a PSP will always work.
>>
>>7629661
>USB insert for Microsoft controllers. Allows you to plug a USB drive into the memory card slot on a controller. This also has a button on it if you have done the power switch mod on your xbox.
Now I've seen it all.

>>7630509
so you're saying I could sell my 17yr old 64mb usb-stick for xbox-hacking with a huge markup L@@K R@RE?
>>
>>7623909
>>7624019
please just go the fuck back to /v/ already
>>
>>7631264
/v/ has made your community better, you stupid child. Adopting the /v/ methodology towards criticism builds character.
>>
>>7623909
i'm not a surroundfag but the xbox versions supported that and gamecube didn't
the gamecube versions also had lower resolution and bitrate videos, and in heroes lower sample rate music
heroes is better if you play the PC version with fixes and the xbox version's assets
all the games are similar enough between gamecube and xbox you just have to not play the PS2 versions
>>
>>7627256
I tried but it wouldn't register any of my flashdrives.
>>
>>7631235
No. You can buy a pack of 20 on Amazon for $20.
>>
>>7631714
Has to be 4 gb or less.
>>
>>7631736
mine is true vintage
>>
>>7631750
I'm sure your thumb drives are oozing with soul, but I already use vintage ones. Crazy to think that a 1 GB flash drive is just about trash.
>>
>>7623672
Dunno where in the world you are, but I'm in the US and Savers/Goodwill are absolute goldmines. I've gotten this, a Gamecube, PS2, Wii, and games/accessories for cheap as fuck from these places.
>>
File: proxy[1].jpg (28 KB, 313x235)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>7631754
>I'm sure your thumb drives are oozing with soul,
looks like this, but with a white cover-thing instead of the black one and no shitty logo on it
PEAK SOVL
>>
>>7631747
It didn't work with my ten year old 1 gb usb drives either. It just flickered on the memory card screen. I've heard good things about using PSPs in USB mode though, so I'm going to try again today with my 32mb memory stick from that.
>>
>>7627323
Feel free to explain how, then.
>>
>>7631747
Can you just partition the drive if you're using something larger or does the Xbox still not know what to do?

I actually have a 1GB drive (I have a 128MB drive but I bet that's too small) so no big deal for me but just wondering.
>>
>>7632086
>I am 12, what is Google
https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4789
>>
>>7632130
What the fuck do you want to talk about if you don't want to give people explanations about what you mean when they ask?
>>
>>7632130
Okay faggot, I wasn’t aware this was possible and apparently most people still aren’t since questions about chimp still come up. Thanks for being a nigger about the response.
>>
>>7632061
It'll work if you repair the usb drive with chkdsk. Its corrupt from being old and mistreated.
>>
>>7623924
"hotswapping" directly refers to swapping hard drives while the system is up and running. That word is not applicable to anything involving the xbox.
>>
>>7632638
did they change the method or something?
the youtube tutorials seemed pretty recent
>>
>youtube tutorials
>>
>>7633115
Would you fuck off? You're like this board's Lee.
>>
>>7627570
>charging people to play emulated games on xbox
about as third world as you can get
>>
>>7632087
I never fooled with it. After softmodding I just FTP files over
>>
If Insignia ever gets up and running it'll be good to have a modded Xbox.
>>
>>7632856
He’s just being a faggot over semantics.
>>
>>7632142
>>7632131
Try asking nicely next time and maybe I wouldn't reply with snark. Also, learn to Google.

>>7632638
In the past, people would literally hot swap hard drives to load exploits, because what you would do is get a game loaded up, like GTA, then disconnect the data cable and plug out into a PC to load the exploit. Also, using chimp requires a hot swap because you need the DVD drive connected on a soft modded Xbox to boot, so the only way to directly connect two hard drives to expand your storage or migrate to another drive is to hot swap.
>>
>>7632638
hotswap refers to many things, all of which while the machine in use is active
it is not exclusive to HDD
>>
>>7633123
>>>/qa/

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.