[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 61NSjkRiVEL._SL1500_.jpg (97 KB, 1500x1200)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
anyone feel that GBC was very underwhelming as a platform?
>lasted only 3 years
>graphics are not even "portable NES" tier, too much white and limited palettes, choppy framerates
>even the best games look like shit
>has some great games (Pokemon, Warioland, Zeldas, some other 1st party titles), but the rest is either virtually unknown or shovelware
>library vastly outdone by GBA that had about same lifespan
>>
>>7619481
>has some great games (Pokemon,
Also Super Game Boy (except Crystal for some asinine reason).
>Warioland,
II>3
>Zeldas,
The LA copycats?
>some other 1st party titles),
Mostly cross-compatible and conversions.
>but the rest is either virtually unknown or shovelware
Shantae wasn't THAT bad. It was worse.
>>
Yeah there was literally nothing to play aside from Pokeomn Zelda and Mario
>>
File: 1592962112573.jpg (74 KB, 487x491)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
don't forget Tetris DX
>>
It was just a gameboy with color, and games molded to they didn't fit in the old gameboy pocket. It wasn't a new platform.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (141 KB, 1280x720)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>7619481
Game Boy Color was Nintendo scrambling to retain hegemony of the handheld market after the disaster that was the Virtual Boy.
>>
>>7619481
did its job at killing the wonderswan color and ngpc and bridging the time to the GBA.

flawless execution.
>>
>>7619651
yes, but that in itself was the problem. GB was released in 1989. GBC came out in 1998. 9 year difference, and yet barely any difference.
>>
>>7619690
yeah, you gotta give it to them. nintendo won with the least amount of effort spent. makes me bad for NGP and WonderSwan though
>>
>>7619504
>>has some great games (Pokemon,
>Also Super Game Boy (except Crystal for some asinine reason).
FINALLY, I couldn't stand Crystal because it forced me to either play on a tiny handheld or on a shaky N64 transfer pak that'd always wobble in the controller and crash the game, best game my asshole.
>>
>>7619790
>or on a shaky N64 transfer pak that'd always wobble in the controller and crash the game
Put the controller on the fucking floor and use a different controller to actually play the game. Never thought of that, huh, retard?
>>
>>7619690
No, Bernie Stolar killed the wonderswan.
>>
>>7619829
>Play uncomfortably to give yourself early neck problems and use another controller that has just as flimsy a slot as the other.
>>
>>7619853
But you're not using the slot on the second controller
>>
File: 2urO4Oa.jpg (195 KB, 1280x889)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>7619853
>>Play uncomfortably to give yourself early neck problems and use another controller that has just as flimsy a slot as the other.
What do you even mean by this? You seriously are a retard, aren't you?
Here genius, I'll spell it out for you.
>Controller port 1: a fucking controller
>Controller port 2: a fucking controller with Pokemon Crystal in it
Put the second controller onto the ground. Then pick up the first controller. Then use first controller to play games. Fucking idiot.
>>
>>7619858
Wait..Are you telling me that you could play the game with a different controller than the one using the transfer pak?
>>
>>7619874
Yes, you can do that. Why do you think you wouldn't be able to do that?
>>
File: sonic arrowed.jpg (175 KB, 832x1024)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
>>7619863
>>
File: fml.jpg (126 KB, 545x536)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>7619863
>>7619878
What the FUCK.
>>
>>7619504
>Shantae wasn't THAT bad. It was worse.
I think you're going to need to justify this opinion, anon.
>>
>>7619790
Embarrassments aside, it's a valid point that the Game Boy Color had no (official retail) equivalent to the Super Game Boy. Anyone remember the GAMEBOOSTER? I still hear that tune in my sleep. I know the Game Boy Player existed years later but that freaking disc man.
>>7619949
This, it's like the one really great exclusive that had no Game Boy counterpart.
>>
>over 1000 games in less than 3 years
things were different back then
>>
File: pafecto.gif (1.96 MB, 360x270)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB GIF
Wario Land 3 is humanity's greatest achievement.
>>
>>7619984
I felt cheated, absolutely CHEATED, that Game Boy Player lacked Super Boy Boy enhancements, and Nintendo never implemented them in stuff like Virtual Console rereleases.
>>7619996
Isn't that...isn't that a screenshot of II?
>>
>>7619985
Are you counting third-party games in your figures?
>>7620024
That screen was reused iirc
>>
>>7620047
literally just going by how many roms i have lol
1,613 dmg/gbp games and 1,427 gbc-only
of course there's multiple roms for each game due to regions and shit, so i just rounded it down to 1k in my incredibly scientific methodology
>>
>>7620024
>>7620047
It's from 3. 2 had a different screen but the same music.
>>
The Game Boy Color rules.
Source: it was my first console.
Yeah it's a lesser console but I still enjoy it for what it is
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (47 KB, 480x360)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>7619504
>>7620047
Why was Wario Land II in Roman numberals but Wario Land 3 was in Arabic numberals? That triggers my collective autism
>>
>>7620725
What were they thinking?
>>
>>7620725
The Saints Row series must be terrible to you
>>
>>7619874
Of course, you can plug the pak into any of the ports. You can also plug more than one pak in too. All four ports can have paks if you wanted. Nowadays since nobody else plays these games regularly this is the best way to get trade exclusive mons.
>>
We wuz wario land 5 in sanskrit?
<_<
>>
>>7619985
And most were shovelware
Gamecubeonly had 653
>>
>>7619481
>graphics are not even "portable NES" tier, too much white and limited palettes, choppy framerates
This statement is just falsehood after falsehood, please do research. The GBC was several times more powerful than the NES, had far more colors and would have to take like 3 times as much processing load as an NES to even begin to get choppy. The reason it wasn't a portable NES is that people simply did not choose to port NES games to it, not because it was incapable.
>>
File: SurvivalKidsGB.png (240 KB, 310x310)
240 KB
240 KB PNG
this game is cool
>>
>>7621143
Original GB had all NES games. Baseball, Tennis, Joust, Metroid II, Link's Awakening.

It just had a different philosophy. The NES was a family computer. The Game Boy was obviously designed for children to carry around. The games were simpler, and they were structured around short play.
>>
>>7621205
Donkey Kong 94
Game and Watch Gallery
Kirby tilt n Tumble
Solar Striker

Lots of NES quality GB and GBC games out there.
>>
>>7621205
Let's not forget Street Fighter Alpha. Let's see an NES do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1nAsPjMKzI
>>
GBC was based and Nintendo put some damn fine first party software on it.
>>
>>7619481
All nintendo handleds were bad. However, until the beginning of the ds' life they had the explanation that they were "innovating" and that there was nothing better on the market. but then sony launched the psp in 2004
>>
>>7619481
>>graphics are not even "portable NES" tier
Just because you only played Pokémon (i.e. shit made by incompetent devs) doesn't mean the rest of the library was like that.
>>
>>7619481
i liked it less for its exclusives some of which were still good imo .links awakening dx, smb dx, pokemon yellow, mgs, oracle of seasons/ages etc and more for the pure utility of it. it was like twice as portable, and sucked down about half as many batteries, which made it a far superior portable console

looking at just the games alone its a little underwhelming, sure. but for those years before gba came out it was an excellent and affordable handheld, which is really all that it needed to be
>>
>>7621254
pogaymans had its charm
plus, gen 1 graphics were made with the idea that it needed to be compatible with gb AND gbc, so monochrome or bust. and overworld aside i really liked some of the sprite work in battles. was an awful lot to fit on such a small ROM

as for their ensuing laziness with all later generations, theres no excuse other than a really tight timeframe and a really small development crew for 1 + 2.
but the game, as borked as it is, did what it needed to

for an ex of a game that went beyond NES aesthetic id point to metal gear solid. the animations alone on that are better than almost anything ive ever seen on NES
nvm the game itself. unironically one of my favorites of the series
>>
>3 years
really? recall almost everyone having a GBC for far longer than that, including well into the GBA era. 2bh I don't recall anywhere near the amount of people owning the GBA as the GBC either, though that might be from being in around the age cohort that by then was more into consoles
>>
File: EheusABVoAMMCNB[1].png (10 KB, 800x720)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>7619481
The GBC is my favorite handheld by far.
Something about the color pallet mixed with the low graphical power made for a really good visual style. being able to retroactively add color to non-gbc games was cool too.
The system wasnt very powerful, so games had to be creative about what to implement into the games, which led to a lot of weird amalgomations of games that probably wont ever be made again. That and seeing much more powerful games being ported to the system was cool, seeing what is essentially a brand new game,

Just mod the screen and its perfect.
>>
>>7619481
Links Awakening and Metal Gear Solid were great. Nice console although admittedly didn't offer much of an enhancement compared to the original GB.
>>
>>7619882
>sonic with 2 eyes
ruined
>>
>>7619504
>except Crystal for some asinine reason
Because Crystal is a gameboy color game and gold/silver were regular gameboy games.
The Super gameboy was unable to play GBC games.
>>
>>7619690
Because killing Yokoi wasn't enough for Nintendo.
>>
>>7619690
I thought the GBA killed the Wonderswan color and not the GBC.
>>
>>7620348
I liked the world maps on this game

>>7621273
LA DX is wrong, the b&w is better.
>>
I just like it, simple as.
the gba absolutely shits on it
which in turn is absolutely shit on by any hacked DS
>>
>>7621143
except i never said anything about CPU power, i talked only about the end result—the graphics in games. work on your reading comprehension.
>>
>>7621226
>Let's see an NES do this.

https://youtu.be/3wWQ5baTS_c
>>
I could never get into any Nintendo portable console before the GBA. It didn't seem like there were any games that could match even the NES, and even the good games are hampered by that super small screen resolution. I think the only one I actually enjoyed was Donkey Kong 94.
>>
>>7621254
lets take a look
>colors either too pale/white or eyerape bright (probably to make up for lack of backlight, if you have a filter to fix it you're welcome to share)
>limited palette (Link's sprite has 3 colors)
>awful resolution (yes i know it was same as GB, doesnt make it less awful)
>game's animations are pretty choppy
so… exactly what i said in OP.
>>
>>7623027
>emulator screenshots
Post discarded.
>>
>>7623027
That's the worst example you could have picked, that looks beautiful.
>>
>>7621327
People didn't throw out their tech just because a newer version released back then.
>>
>>7622124
It really didn't need to be, it's the same engine and the other games were cross-compatible.
>>
File: BASED.gif (105 KB, 500x451)
105 KB
105 KB GIF
>>7619504
You had me until Shantae.
>>
>>7619481
It was just quickly made toextend gameboy's lifespan while not being a real successor
Pretty crazy how original onelasted for 10 years
>>
>>7624067
Crystal made use of the GBC's additional video memory for Pokémon animations and other improved graphics.
>>
>>7619481
GBC was a beast if you were a kid in 1998.
>>
>>7621982
What game is this?
>>
You have to remember the games were expensive as fuck for a kid. So the fact that the library wasn't huge isn't such a big deal as you make it out to be. Most kids could only afford like 5-6 games per system so you never got in to a situation where there wasn't enough games to pick from.

Also, I don't think you realise how big Pokémon was back in those days. Getting to play that shit in color was awesome.

I had a lot of fun with Pokémon Gold and Wario Land II. After a while I got Oracle of Ages, Link's Awakening and some Top Gun game. Last game I bought for the system was Harry Potter Chamber of Secrets. Again, this was pretty awesome at the time because it's an RPG based on the books as opposed to the movie. That's it, those were the only games I could afford.

The major drawback of the Gameboy Color was that it didn't have a backlight and it didn't have a rechargeable battery. This is why I didn't get a GBA as soon as it was released, but I did end up buying a GBA SP.

Again, even when I got the GBA SP I think I only had like one GBA game (Advance Wars). I ended up getting a lot more GBA games eventually because I had some more money available as I got older, but I did have a lot of fun playing Gameboy Color games on the GBA SP for the first year or so.
>>
File: 1608826288756.gif (62 KB, 500x432)
62 KB
62 KB GIF
>>7619996
unspeakably based
>>
>>7627349
>Getting to play that shit in color was awesome.
Literally everyone I knew except the weird kid had a Super Game Boy, some of us not even having regular portable Game Boys.
>>
>>7619481
No, because the GBC is more comfortable and smaller than the original game boy, plus the screen is much better even for the original b&w games as it doesn't have so much motion blur/ghosting that you cant see shit. I know pocket exits but GBC still has non-blurry screen and uses AA batteries for better battery life and GBC's shape is more comfortable.
>>
>>7621982
What's the best mod for a GBC?
>>
>>7628327
jackhammer
>>
>>7627398
>Literally everyone I knew except the weird kid had a Super Game Boy, some of us not even having regular portable Game Boys.
Us young boomers didn't have a SNES growing up

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.