[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: pdorta.jpg (59 KB, 354x512)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
What was the best 3rd-party SEGA game of 6th gen, /vr/?
>>
OutRun 2
>>
>>7617049
Your image
>>
Sega sold this game at $29.99 upon release and it came packaged with the tenth anniversary bonus stuff.
>>
File: ESV3V3ZUUAgRlim.jpg (41 KB, 312x444)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
Frog game
>>
>>7617049
I'm glad MS got this one, at least I can play it in 4k/60 without any problem
>>
yakuza
>>
>>7617130
Fucking loved this game. Too bad no one else played it
>>
JSRF

Fuck Sega
>>
>>7617245
>yakuza
Just Spikeout for normies who only play it for muh progression system hook and muh cutscenes.
>>
>>7617049
PS2 got some dope Fantasy Zone remakes
1st one got a budget 3d version with 4 new levels
2nd one got a sega-16 arcade board demake
>>
>>7617905
Most of those PS2 Sega Ages were outsourced trash and you're better off playing the original instead.
>>
>>7617358
Not even as good as the original Jet Set Radio
>>
I liked these 2 games a lot.
>>
this is a fun time too
>>
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is easily the Sega game I've played the most since the Dreamcast was discontinued so let's go with that.
>>
Man Sega was so good even when they went third party, until the Sammy buyout. Fuck Sammy.
>>
>>7618416
He rite tho. Future is for sandboxfags that are afraid of timers and having your skills graded.
>>
>>7618457
Also, this is a hard pill to swallow for Future fans but the level design isn't very good, especially for a game that's making attempts at being open world. The levels are basically still designed to just be levels so going through them to get to other areas can be a real pain in the ass. Besides that there's just plenty of design differences that make me prefer the original.
>>
>>7617130
Best sega game outside of phantasy star

Hype for the VF revival coming up
>>
>>7618402
>your sword does shit damage except for a brief window when you've chain-killed some enemies

Was it the stupidest gimmick in videogames ever?
>>
File: Super-Monkey-Ball.jpg (789 KB, 2000x2793)
789 KB
789 KB JPG
>>
>>7617049
Either Orta or Otogi
>>
>>7618504
Building combos on smaller enemies so you could do damage to the big bosses?
>>
>>7618494
>saying you like the older game is zoomer
Anon, I...
>>
>>7618409
why? what replay value does that game even have besides (i assume) the chao stuff?
>>
>>7618475
>Best sega game outside of phantasy star

Visually, the PS2 game doesn't quite compare to the Sega NAOMI 2 arcade board, which was a big upgrade over the first NAOMI board.

https://youtu.be/oH8i-SOFMx0?t=360

But the PS2 port is still close enough. really good home port. I would love to see arcade perfect ports of VF3 and VF4, someday. VF3 only ever appeared on the Dreamcast, not even a PC port. And has a few issues of its own. VF4 was only ever ported to the PS2. Even VF2 had a great 360 port, and VF1 had that Sega Ages port on the switch. And even the 10th anniversary version with the PS2 VF$Evolution.
>>
>>7618548
Well, there are the optional like 150 emblems to get for one thing.
SA2 actually has too much content for what it is, getting all the A ranks is a massive pain in the ass that I'll never do again.
>>
>>7617130
This or Outrun 2
>>
>>7617130
I was so bad at fighting games. I still bought it, and still got hundreds of hours out of it. This and Soul Calibur were such good values as far as playing fighting games alone goes.
>>
>>7617130
specifically the evolution release for the united states with the value price and the extra content
>>
>>7618448
I assume most of them were originally Dreamcast projects that got moved to other consoles, hence why they felt like they still had a bit of SOUL left.
>>
>>7620671
Why did Sammy have to murder Sega, bros... it's not fair.

>tfw not in the alternate timeline where Sega merged with Namco instead
>>
wow this thread is chock full of absolute fucking faggots, why does being an adult virgin turn you into such a jumped up cunt? imagine having a sense of superiority over anyone when you can't even get laid, something that your 14 year old brother has already done
>>
>>7620636
Surprisingly not. Even Monkey Ball which was developed for the NAOMI (Dreamcast hardware) in arcades was apparently already ported to GameCube proto hardware as early as summer 2001. Back then stuff didn't take nearly as long to develop and partcularly the arcade-style games Sega was known for. Each division was putting out multiple games every year so I'd figure most teams made a game every 1-1.5yrs.

>>7620671
Yes, the decision seemed to be "everyone join Sonic Team". And sadly today Sega has most of their workforce developing endless Sonic and Yakuza sequels.

>>7620694
That would have made sense, given both companies supported the arcade business so hard. Namco also got screwed by merging with Bandai. Sammy bought Sega's shares in 03, and Namco merged in 05, so had the dates lined up a little differently it could have well happened.
>>
File: astroboy_omegafactor.jpg (103 KB, 640x628)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
Plebians, the lot of you.
>>
File: trashure2.png (49 KB, 459x259)
49 KB
49 KB PNG
>>7621336
Ruined by Trashure's taint. Though it is one of their better games, thanks to SEGA-AM3's direction.
>>
>>7618508
My nigga
>>
>>7617130
Virtua Fighter rescued SEGA from debt
>>
>>7621485
God give it a rest already
>>
>>7621721
Just stop responding to him and moronic shitposters. I was tempted to in the other thread, but even a sage is validating them to much.
>>
>orta works in cxbx
fuck yeah
>>
File: 51FGCXG9NKL._AC_.jpg (36 KB, 353x500)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>7621707
>Virtua Fighter rescued SEGA from debt

Early 3rd party Sega was crazy. In 2004 they released NFL2K5 at a $19.99 (USD) for the Xbox OG and PS2, while it's competitor Madden 2005 sold at the typical $59.99 (USD) Price tag. Sega/ Visual Concepts selling this game at a $20.00 price tag upon release was bonkers.
>>
>>7622648

GameSpot article from 2004:
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/espn-nfl-2k5-officially-1999/1100-6100505/

> The price drop marks an aggressive move by ESPN NFL 2K5's publisher to win new football fans in the Madden NFL-dominated market. It also comes just days after Sega announced it had signed a deal with Take-Two Interactive to co-distribute the entire line of ESPN games, which it formerly published solo. However, since the agreement was technically between Sega and Global Star Software, Take-Two's budget game subsidiary, rumors of a price drop for the game were already widespread.

>The "E" for Everyone-rated ESPN NFL 2K5 will be released on August 24 for the Xbox and PlayStation 2. For more information, read the brand-spanking-new preview of the game by GameSpot's own Bob Colayco.

Sega releasing NFL2k5 months earlier than madden 2005, at only a $20.00 price point was something that probably set off some alarm bells at EA. GameSpot even ranked NFK2k5 a 9.2 for the Xbox version, while they scored madden a 9.0 for the same console. Still calling Madden superb. ESPN NFL2K5 was ranked as one of the best sports games of that year, People still think it's one of the best sports games of all time.
>>
>>7622802
>Sega releasing NFL2k5 months earlier than madden 2005,

No wait,

August 24 2004 - Xbox/ PS2 ESPN NFL2K5 - $19.99
Aug 9, 2004 - Xbox/ PS2/GCN/ETC- Madden NFL 2005 - $49.99

Madden did come out first and was released on more platforms $49.99. ESPN NFL2k5 was only released on the PS2 and Xbox a few weeks later at $19.99. EA did even have to slash the price to compete. The flame wars over which was was better...
>>
By far, if we're going by most content, at least.
>>
>>
>>7622648
>>7622802
ESPN 2K5 is still generally considered a strong contender for BEST AMERICAN FOOTBALL GAME OF ALL TIME.
>>
>>7618504
Its genuinely not even a hard mechanic to master.
You're literally retarded if you had trouble with the tate mechanic.
>>
>>7623396
It's not hard, it's just a tedious gimmick that adds a pointless layer to the combat. Why make you have to kill some zakos to briefly power up your sword so that you can actually damage a boss? It's just a waste of the player's time, Sega should feel ashamed for deciding to use something so asinine.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (129 KB, 1280x720)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>7617049
indisputable
>>
>>7623458

It's not pointless in the least bit, it's just an arcade game. Like most things Sega makes, it requires you to master a mechanic in order to grade you on how efficiently you went through the level. It isn't tedious at all, you're just a bitch.
>>
>>7623458
To avoid mindless mashing. I like games where you quick kill things in few hits. If you don't like it then whatever but don't act like it's a bad mechanic.
>>
Outrun 2
>>
>>7624692
>>7624706
Just admit you like poorly designed action games with half-baked ideas like PS2 Shinobi and that Ninja Gaiden had the superior transition to 3D.
>>
>>7624815
Both franchises are dead but I admire your attempt at fanboy war baiting.
>>
>>7622842
2K came out in July.
>>
>>7624870
>2K came out in July.

OH, OK. I couldn't remember if it came out before or after. The thing I remember most about the game is that it generally reviewed better than madden 2005 and Sega dropped it at $20.00, which caused Madden to lose sales and made Maddenbots seethe.
>>
>tfw never played Virtua Cop 3 before but Xbox emulation is getting better and might get one of those sinden/aimtrak lightguns for PC shooting soon
>>
File: segarally2k6.jpg (23 KB, 265x375)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>Career Mode english patch never ever
>>
>>7617864
>>yakuza
>Just Spikeout for normies who only play it for muh progression system hook and muh cutscenes.

To be honest, the original Yakuza 1 and 2 on the PS2 are still my favorites in the series.

And speaking of SpikeOut, i am pretty sure that the original SpikeOut was going to be released on the Dreamcast. But cancellation of that console, Sega worked on an Xbox port with Dimps instead. It was good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE-7Epc6sUo

Though the original Model 3 arcade game was never ported to home consoles.
>>
>>7626169
>nooo not the heckin' shovelwarerino!
>>
>>
>>7626307
Played it on PC a bit, and while I know this isn't supposed to be DMC or Bayonetta, I found the combat to be a bit bare. Does it get expanded later on or are you just supposed to play this with friends?
>>
>>7626291
>saw PS2 and assumed it's shovelware

Dilate, dumb console warrior.
>>
>>7626431
The combat isn't the point, the game is all about the loot.
>>
>>7617049
Playing Orta in wide-screen and in a much clearer resolution on my Xbox One is such a treat. Playing Orta is great. I hope we can get the Zwei remake soon and hopefully a Saga re-release is the Panzer Dragoon 1 remake any good?
>>
>>7618508
110%
Perfection in simplicity.
>>
File: 736713-package_l.jpg (44 KB, 450x640)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
Britney's Dance Beat.
>>
>>7626819
is this some shit from some no name dev or did Sega actually do some work on it? Like, some kind of Space Channel 5 engine shit or something?
>>
>>7618404
>>7624720
Yup we have a winner. Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast is the game that keeps my xbox hooked up above all others.
>>
>>7626953
>>>7626819 (You)
>is this some shit from some no name dev or did Sega actually do some work on it? Like, some kind of Space Channel 5 engine shit or something?
Sega really had nothing to do with that game, except for publish it in Japan. Sega had some cross publishing deal with THQ, where THq would publish some of Sega's games in the NA market, while Sega published some of THQ's in japan.

Image related is one of my favorite GBA games. It was developed by Sega, but published by THQ.
>>
>>7626958
Why would you play 2K6 over vanilla 2 if you had an Xbox? Graphics, performance, physics are all better in 2, also no gay slipstream gimmick.
>>
>>7626984

The PinBall of the Dead was developed by Sega's WoW Entertainment (formally Sega AM1) and Sonic's Pinball Party was developed by Sonic Team. Both published by THQ in NA.
>>
>>7626819

This one was also not published by Sega in some regions. But developed by Sega's UGA.
>>
File: based_britney.jpg (70 KB, 1044x1570)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>7626819
Based.
>>
>>7626579
I recently beat Orta and unlocked the original game, which I proceeded to beat in a single run somehow. Okay, I played it a ton on the Saturn years before but never beat it. Very short but good game.

Anyway, before that I saw some videos of the remake and I noticed that in the original the cave in episode 2 is all dark and gloomy while in the remake it's some bland desert thing. That made me doubt its art style choices.
>>
>>7617049
Sonic Heroes or SMB Deluxe
>>
>>7627543
Yeah, I'm looking at gameplay footage of the remake and it looks really bland to me. Plus it launched with bugs and audio issues so that's an issue for me. I know they patched all of that but that still irks me that Sega would push this right out the door rushed
>>
>>7627738
Unfortunately that is the way the industry works these days. Get the product on shelves asap, do QA work after the fact

But the fact that they patched it at all, much less fixed as much as they did gives me hope that they will not make the same mistakes with Zwei.

On PC you should be able to remove the color filter as well
>>
>>7617905
Wait I knew about the Fantasy Zone II (that Sega seems to be retroactively supplanting as the real game) but whats this about the 1st game?
>>
>>7623676
this
>>
Toss up between Orta, Outrun 2, and VF4 Evo.
00s Sega was still based, but then they got killed by the Sammy merger.
>>
>>7617049
Why even ask when you just posted it?
>>
>>7618508
Xbox version is better.
>>
>>7628056
What?
No it’s not
>>
>>7628067
Yes it is. All of 1 and 2 plus all the stages that were meant for 3 that never made it to shitcube version. The shitcube version also had slowdown in areas the Xbox version did not.
>>
>>7626437
probably more like one of the millions of pathetic dickless faggots on this board who are frightened by the concept of racing games
>>
>>7628071
I heard it has worse control
>>
>>7626307
yea this is the one i played the most

>>7626431
latter
>>
Orta for me. It also emains my favorite PD game even if I like to think of it as a "what-if" fan-fiction rather than a true continuation story-wise. I'd like to try it out on an emulator sometime to see how well it runs.
>>
Never actually owned a retail copy of this one. Excellent port, though.
>>
>>7628129
It does. TOSE fucked up the analog when porting it to the PS2/Xbox, so don't listen to that faggot.
>>
>>7628129
>>7628452
No it doesn't, the analog control is perfect in the Xbox version (can't speak for the PS2 version that was clearly butchered in other ways).
>>
Really would like to try the Xbox version of this. I actually liked the game on the PS2.
>>
>>7629252
Like Heroes, it's better performance-wise than the PS2 version but there are still framerate drops and they removed two-player partner co-op even though it's in the other versions. GameCube was the lead platform in both cases and it shows.
>>
>>7629356
>Like Heroes, it's better performance-wise than the PS2 version but there are still framerate drops and they removed two-player partner co-op even though it's in the other versions. GameCube was the lead platform in both cases and it shows.

I need to play the GameCube version, then. Not surprising that Sega would target Sonic mostly for the Nintendo consoles.
>>
>>7627757
>Sega
>hope
Not to he rude, but you're a fool if you think Sega pushes out a quality product now
>>
Just beat the OP on hard mode and got to play as the original blue dragon. OP as fuck. Apparently you can also play as the dragon from Saga if you clear every level with very little damage.
>>
>>7629372
Sega isn't developing the remakes. That said, Yakuza is better than pretty much anything the rest of the industry shits out now even if it is practically all they make.
>>
File: 7795-1.jpg (909 KB, 1521x2156)
909 KB
909 KB JPG
Guys I know this isn't the best but I just wanted an excuse to bring up GUNVALKYRIE ok
>>
>>7629384
I know that. But they still pushed out the game
>>
>>7629393
based gunvalkyrie memberer breaking the rules to show the game some love.
>>
>>7629384
>That said, Yakuza is better than pretty much anything the rest of the industry shits out now

Where did gaming go so wrong, bros...

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.