[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: grandia-2-14015.jpg (173 KB, 1000x987)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
JRPGs always feel like such grand, dramatic adventures. I like that.
>>
I wish I liked RPGs, at least jarpigs.
Even when pokemon was huge on GBC/GBA it was too boring for me as a kid :(
>>
>>7616869
To be fair, Pokemon is as vanilla and basic as it gets. Games like Chrono Cross to Vagrant Story all have different kinds of combat with their own quirks that are fun to learn. Or games like FFV with really cool class and progression systems.
>>
>>7616863
>dramatic
keyword here, I like it too, but I preferred it when they had no voice acting
>>
>>7616893
Pacing was better that way, too. I love a lot of Squaresoft games, but after FFVII the whole story changed. Everybody wanted to be flashy.
>>
File: 1587399420729.png (153 KB, 379x376)
153 KB
153 KB PNG
>>7616863
I like that too. I even love the beginnings that most people don't. A nice cozy comfy set-up is important.
>>
I can't say I love jrpgs, but they are definitely something else.
>>
>>7616863
I didn't like anything about them. from aesthetics to gameplay
>>
>>7618370
Wasn't that fixed on the PlayStation version? Also, wasn't the PlayStation version released in North America too? Why are you playing the Saturn release?
>>
>>7619172
not him, but the saturn version has better graphics
>>
I loved JRPGs until about 18 years old. I can’t stomach them nowadays. It’s hard to imagine not growing out of them, considering you really only play them for the story and world, which is always juvenile and done better in other mediums like film and books (and no grinding involved)
>>
>>7621193
Nani grandia is famous for the combat. But yes you are correct.
>>
>>7621193
>It’s hard to imagine not growing out of them
Depends what you like about them. I find it hard to imagine growing out of my appreciation of music like this.
https://youtu.be/4ek1LMisj1s
>>
>>7621193
then go read a book fag.
>>
>>7621640
I do; I tried that new RPG from FF makers on iOS everyone is hype about after a long ass RPG break and was absolutely bored to tears. I deleted the game and went back to the book I was reading and had a much better time
>>
>>7623660
Also the main character in the game is a dude called leeroy or something similar and his character designed is literally a girl, with hairband and all. RPGs are the domain of trannies
>>
>>7621219
Grandia combat is alright (nothing stellar, but great for RPG standards) but the game is so easy that it doesn't matter
still better than generic turn-based shit
>>
>>7623660
>I tried that new RPG from FF makers on iOS everyone is hype about after a long ass RPG break and was absolutely bored to tears
>play terrible game that is universally panned
>is surprised it is terrible
Got a genius over here.
>>
>>7623984
>uuuuhhhh game bad... LE BAD!
>>
>>7623697
Grandia 1 has the flaw of being too easy.
Grandia 3 introduced some cool air juggle and counter mechanics but the story and characters in that game get really generic in the halfway point.
>>
File: balstothewall.jpg (30 KB, 592x468)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>7616893
>>7616908
I feel ya, no need for voice acting and cartoon bullshit if it just plays and fells good
>>
>>7624009
Reminds me of when I went full white mage
>>
>>7616863
i never got to play 2 unfortunately
but grandia 1 is one of my all time favorite jarpigs
i like how, in the beginning, it DOESNT seem like a grand adventure, and is in fact rather mundane. but then as things get going it gets way more epic

theres a lot of JRPGs out there that try to start too epic, too fast, and without the contrast, just dont have the same impact
>>
>>7623673
I usually let feminine males slide in Japanese games because they're a quirky bunch but the character you're talking about is too much. Doesn't look girlish, looks like a literal girl.
>>
I've played that one recently and holy shit, it really should have given players the ability to skip the combat FMVs.
>>
>>7624009
imo voice acting is what made jarpigs into the irredeemable faggotry that theyve become nowadays
VA audio takes up a lot of space, and dramatically reduces the amount of text that can be in a game

also, nip studios and the localization teams they contract have a really bad knack for getting the most insufferable retards to voice all the characters
if a character is shit, and all i have to do is read text, its doable
if that same shitty character is now squawking in my ear every 5 minutes, it becomes completely intolerable
>>
>>7625969
never really considered this but you're actually right on. I can still play and enjoy JRPGs up to the ps1 era and then I find everything else irredeemable weebshit. instead of reading text boxes you now have to listen to some retard act out the horrible dialog that japs fill them with.
if the HAHAHAHAHA scene for an example was text only no one would think it was as horrible.
>>
>>7625969
>>7626385
Just play games that let you disable voice acting you fucking prancing lala homo men. Your arbitrary hang-up is as autistic as it gets.
>>
>>7626385
funny that you bring that particular scene up
i first noticed it with FFX
couldnt bring myself to play the fucking game
the story wasnt that much gayer than 7 8 and 9, but it made me feel as if i was suffocating to death on cock
then it happened:
HA HA HA HA HA HAHAHAHA
and then i knew

>>7626425
except for the fact that you disregarded my initial and primary point
having voiced lines en lieu of text severely limits the narrative breadth of a game, from all angles
>audio takes up exponentially more memory
>VAs cost FAR more to commission, record, and stretch dev time needlessly
>spoken text can NEVER be as dense (unless going full kojimbo w 2hr cutscenes) as people read far faster than people can speak

weve seen a similar, and just as severe, dumbing down of WRPGs for this same exact reason imo

also
>Just play games that let you disable voice acting
let me know when that ever happens. usually you cant even skip cutscenes AT ALL anymore
closest ive seen, which still almost never happens, is options that allow for JP dub, which is what id do if i was gay enough to play modern jarpigs its dont. but then, of course, id have to suffer through the sound of an adult japanese woman squealing like a pig, because grorious nippon thinks adult women are supposed to sound like 5yo children
>>
>>7626586
Because every single RPG after 2001 has voice acting, right? Just be honest and say your massive imbecilism is related to modern gaming in general as well as your fixation with perceived homossexuality.
>>
>>7616863
One of the only jrpg that takes advantage of this design is pokemon. other games I've played have all those qualities of a jrpg; linearity and simplicity. but they manage to make these tasks tedious. take any western rpg and you will see that the systems are more complicated, but they are well designed or never boring unlike your typical jrpg.
>>
>>7626596
id put it a little later, around 06-10, when the effects became much more apparent, but yea pretty much. as storage size has become less of a premium due to tech advancements, weve seen more and more of it dedicated to holding high-quality uncompressed audio tracks of people speaking. at the expense of all other aspects of game design

using WRPGs to illustrate that its not just a nip problem: we go from baldurs gate and planescape, to KOTOR, to morrowind, to oblivion, to shitrim,, to whatever number fallouts on now, to that new dystopian keaunu reeves 1st person cocksize simulator... and the negative effect on narrative and storytelling in games is fucking jarring
thats one of the main reasons ive had basically zero interest in any RPG, from any cunt, for over a decade now

if you remove most of the singular aspect that sets RPGs apart from other games focus on deeper storytelling and narrative then you truly are left with the dreaded "menu navigation simulator" that you autists that get triggered by any and every JRPG thread are always screeching about
>>
>>7616863
How's the PS2 version? Is it worth playing if I don't want to get a Dreamcast?
>>
>>7626656
I fell ya. i'd kill for a game thats just 100 120 hours of snes jrpg or windows 98 wrpg jus text dialogue boxes and a shitton of content. but no studio can be assed Its a ashame
>>
>>7626673
runs like shit
>>
JRPGs always feel like I should be watching a fucking movie instead. Storyshit fucking ruined videogames.
>>
>>7626385
>>7626586
tbf that scene was supposed to be forced laughing but yeah it doesn't really help the overall cheese
>>
>>7621193
>like film
lol
>>
File: Lymle.png (236 KB, 324x600)
236 KB
236 KB PNG
Kay
>>
>>7626656
You summed it up well, I tried playing Tales of Zestiria and I just couldn't carry on. Meanwhile Tales of Phantasia hard mode still fun, fuck nu jrpgs.
>>
What are some /vr/ jrpgs without turn based combat? No mana niggery.
>>
>>7629462
super kill yourself 64
>>
>>7626951
Uh tons of generic snes rpgs out there you're just not looking hard enough.
>>
>>7629571
Heck the whole schtick in the dragon quest series is that they barely evolved past the design decisions made in DQ3 on NES. I seriously doubt anon has played them all.
>>
>>7626673

the PC/switch HD edition is best

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.