[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1200px-PS2-Versions[1].jpg (103 KB, 1200x1063)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
https://github.com/MechaResearch/MechaPwn

You can now run burned PS1 and PS2 discs on a PS2 without hardware modifications.
This works for the 50000, 70000, 75000, 77000, 79000 and 90000 models. These are all the models which do not support tonyhax.
PS2 games must have the master disc flag set before burning.
The region check is defeated in the disc drive controller, but not in the system software. Additional homebrew is necessary to bypass the region checks.
>>
>>7596757
Gay thread. I thought this was going to be about mecha games on the PS2.
>>
>>7596757
Cool. Let me know when an ODE is available.
>>
>>7596781
probably never since so much of the ps2's drive is integrated with the motherboard
>>
>>7596757
Fuck yeah, I was about to do that tape and tissue mod to play PS1 games
>>
Wow, pretty cool! Shame that the 3xxxx series can't hang with this, but, it already had the best OPL and even Tonyhax now, so this is definitely a solid for those 5xxxxx series consoles.
>>
>>7596879
I'm mostly just pleased that all PS2s have a no modchip solution for playing PS1 games now.
>>
>>7596757
I already could with freedvdboot
>>
>>7596942
You weren't able to play PS1 games, and ESR isn't compatible with all PS2 games.
>>
>>7596781
>ODE
can't you just run games over HDD or Ethernet?
>>
Fuck me I'm pretty sure I bought a 39000 for $25 a few months ago.
>>
>>7596960
You can but a few games have issues. Deus Ex will crash after one too many loading screens, for example.
>>
Is this an improvement on FreeDVDBoot? https://github.com/CTurt/FreeDVDBoot
Obviously the ability to play PS1 games is new. very exciting!
>>
>>7596757
sounds like an awful lot of work just to have an inferior experience compared to loading off the hdd.

have they at least fixed the glaring bugs with the mechacon firmware? otherwise you're just killing your PS2 by playing burned discs
>>
>>7596974
never heard that before
>>
finally, hope a tutorial comes soon
>>
>>7596998
It's probably worth waiting for it to develop further. It's clearly an early release.
>>
>>7596975
PS1 support is the big one.
Saying goodbye to ESR and it's compatibility issues/modes is a benefit for PS2 games as well though. Games are running essentially unpatched this way.
>>
>>7596948
>You weren't able to play PS1 games
thats what ePSXe is for
>ESR isn't compatible with all PS2 games.
only very few don't work with it tho
>>
>>7597016
thanks for the explanation anon. i already have a hard drive in my ps2 but definitely going to burn some ps1 games
>>
File: 1615239701949.png (225 KB, 550x424)
225 KB
225 KB PNG
>>7597017
>thats what ePSXe is for
Isn't that just emulation though?
>>
>>7597062
so is pops in slims (except the first one) by the way.
PS1 really benefits from emulation.
>>
>>7596967
Correction, I got a 39001 due to people saying it is a better build than the later versions due to being made in Japan still.
>>
>>7597081
>due to being made in Japan still
I don't know about that. made-in-japan products around that time are definitely better. there's an obvious gap in quality between japanese PSPs and chinese ones. but I'm not sure whether they were actually manufactured in japan still.
but the 39k is definitely better than the 50k for other reasons, namely the bugged dragon mechacon they're talking about in the git and the cheap resistors.
>>
> namely the bugged dragon mechacon they're talking about in the git and the cheap resistors.
So the 39k has a bugged issue that makes it better than the 50k? I figured a bugged issue would be bad. Or did you type the models in the wrong order?
>>
>>7597119
I meant the bugged dragon mechacon in 50k models. same with the cheap resistors that end up dead because of heat.
although, the 39k does have a bugged mechacon as well. every PS2 except slims (bar launch ones) have a bugged mechacon that kills that laser if you play burned discs. they made it increasingly buggier with each new revision.
dragon units are so bad they can kill the console just by playing scratched discs though.
>>
>>7597145
Ah, then I suppose I should be lucky to not have the option since I can just get a HDD and play games that way. Granted I don't know how to get a HDD that the official adapter uses and if I need to do any hard modding.
>>
>>7597154
it's been a while but I think OPL requires a genuine modem or something to that effect.
you can get a chink modem with a sata interface or buy the adapter separately and replace the ide interface in a genuine modem. the process is pretty straightforward.
>>
>>7596757
Sucks for PAL consoles:

BOOT PS1 disc originals and backups from all regions (NTSC-U and ASIA (non NTSC-J) units only)
>>
>the pal model i have is still region locked for ps1 games
Fuck this shit
>>
>2021
>not having a chipped PS2
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>7597178
>2021 still being Brazilian
>>
>>7597178
>2021
>helping your vidya contract cancer
>>
Wait, this isn't an april fools joke? Holy fuck man I have DREAMT of not having to rely on PSXLauncher or POPStarter, this is based if it works like it says
>>
>>7597169
>It may be possible to improve compatibility in Open PS2 Loader by running code on the Mechacon instead of the IOP. It may be possible to remove the custom CDVDMAN module and use the original one, and the Mechacon could handle the USB/HDD/ETH tasks instead. Since developer code wasn't meant to run on the Mechacon, it can be used for other purposes without affecting compatibility. It may also be possible to run PS1 games with the MechaCon based emulation method…
MechaCon can basically act as a "Optical Disk Emulator" at this point…

Not all hope is lost for PAL consoles.
>>
Got this set up on my 50000. Played some burnt ps1 games and it worked well with crash bandicoot, but sounded like disintegrating motor and wouldn't boot silhouette mirage. The funny thing is my ps1 would play silhouette mirage but not crash.
>>
>>7596781
Pointless when OPL exists.
>>
Just got this going. Never thought I'd see the day when I could just drop a burnt PS1 disc, a retail JPN disc into my non-chipped NA PS2 and have it just work. Fucking incredible. We made it boys
>>
File: 1595181735304.jpg (283 KB, 595x585)
283 KB
283 KB JPG
Where's the binary?
All I see is a bunch of code that needs a PS2 development enviroment setup
>>
>>7596757
This is very cool. Hope some kind of integration with OPL is possible down the line to improve compatibility further and of course enable the HDD for PS1 games properly.
>>
>>7597906
The .elf is right there? Just put that on a usb stick and open it with ULE
>>
>>7596757
>The region check
This is the only thing I care about
>>
>>7597017
>thats what ePSXe is for
ePSXe is unusable garbage
>>
>>7597074
Isn't POPS emulation on fats too?

>>7597213
>It may also be possible to run PS1 games with the MechaCon based emulation method…
As in booting the emu or actually triggering PS1 mode?
>>
>>7598003
Fats contain a legit r3000
>>
>>7597016
Ehh, it won't quite run PS2 burns just drag 'n drop, you still need to do some work with the ISOs to get them recognizable by this, but it's still impressive AF
>>
>>7598023
I know, but does POPS use it?
>>
>>7597074
>>7598003
>>7598029
PS1 mode on PS2 isn't POPS. POPS is something else.
On the <=70000 PS2s, a real R3000 CPU is used to run PS1 games natively. However, the GPU is emulated. This is why you can enable texture smoothing for example.
What's going on with the >=75000 consoles is a lot more nuanced than "emulation", but in simple terms it emulates both CPU and GPU.
>>
>>7598024
You do need to set the master flag in the disc image, but the point I was trying to make is that the game's executables are unaltered.
ESR patches both IOP and EE code and some games don't play nicely with that.
>>
>>7598078
Yeah for sure, I do like that it's not actually relying on an external piece of software to do it's thing, this feels very next-level. It feels pretty great to just have it load PS1 burns/out of region games with no McBoot card and no modchip. I prefer to use OPL wherever possible for PS2 stuff anyways so this is perfect
>>
>>7598003
>>It may also be possible to run PS1 games with the MechaCon based emulation method…
>As in booting the emu or actually triggering PS1 mode?
In real PS1 mode. It isn't guaranteed to be possie, but the point is that you can get code running on the disc drive controller and modify its behaviour transparently to the PS1 CPU. The potential is there for it to be it's own ODE.
>>
Went from a 90k PAL to a 90k USA Devkit and it works!
PS1 PAL originals and pirates, PS1 USA originals and pirates, PS2 PAL and USA originals (did not try pirates yet).
However, there is one very interesting thing that I think is caused by me going for a USA Devkit.
All my PS1 games now run at 60hz@240p instead of shitty PAL 50hz@288p. PS2 games seem to still be at their original rates/resolutions.
>>
>>7598112
There is some issues with the way it runs PS1 games and mainly it drops the image down quite a bit. You can see here the image is too low, should be a score counter visible.
This can be resolved with an external box that re-positions the image however those don't tend to play with well upscalers.
>>
File: ps2mechapwn.png (419 KB, 1532x512)
419 KB
419 KB PNG
>>7598112
Oh and here's what it looks like the in sysinfo
>>
>>7598117
I think that's because you're trying to run PAL games in NTSC video mode.
>>
>>7598121
Most definitely.
However old modchips used to be able to force the video mode for each region disc so I wasn't expecting this to be an issue. Hopefully it can be resolved eventually.
>>
>>7598126
Yeah, the PS1 mode on the PS2 picks a particular video mode when it boots up and then sticks to it. It may be possible to change by modifying the EE side of PS1DRV but I'm not 100% sure.
>>
>>7596975
you're basically flashing the firmware stuff to remove security checks
>>
>>7598161
Not even that. You're changing the configuration bits in the firmware so it thinks it's a dev console.
>>
>>7598119
I wonder if ebay will be flooded with fake DTL PS2's now
>>
So I tired this on my spare pal ps2 slim SCPH-90004 (the very last models to support mcfree boot) and went to DTL-H90004, and I just found out it absolutely hates ps1 discs and blue-ps2 discs, tires to read but it makes loud click noise, stops and repeats. I did manage to get it read burned ps1 disc one time (crash 2 pal) and it seemd to play just fine, also non-blue legit ps2 discs seems to play just fine too, but I think my disc drive is toad, oh well.
Also now my mc free memory card wont work with it, I just get black screen and nothing happens, it still works fine on my scph-39004 fat pal ps2 and it used to work on the slim too. Did I fuck something up?
>>
>>7598291
I fucked up my FreeMCBoot memory card but only because I switched regions. Burning a freedvdboot disc and reinstalling freemcboot fixed it.
>>
>>7598117
it's because it's running ntsc games in pal60 instead.
>>
>>7598307
PS2 doesn't support PAL60. I'm not sure you know what PAL60 is.
>>
>>7598320
maybe it doesnt support it precisely because it cant draw it without misalignment but it can be forced to do so in debug mode?
>>
hey you know what I just realise, this can be used to install the official hdd software that lets you officially install games and run them from hdd, no? no reason to use opl at all really
>>
>>7597167
opl doesnt require an official sony ps2 modem. it does support the chinese ones, but only the ones the devs are aware of and patched in support for.
>>
>>7598294
the freedvdboot says "dvd player is not set up"
>>
>>7598425
IDK what to do then. Maybe ask a dev in https://discord.gg/nyjbsmpAnN
>>
so is this like flashing bios? can i brick my shit? i got 50k and 70k lying around i was thinking of trying this on the slim.
>>
>>7598490
Fucking around with the mechacon can brick your console yeah. If you want to wait for more testing then just wait.
>>
>>7598291
That sounds like what mine did with silhouette mirage. My free mcboot mc still worked after though.
>>
>>7598291
little update, I cleaned my ps2 slim, adjusted the lasers pot etc and now ps1 and blue ps2 discs plays perfectly, both legit and burned, still no luck with mcfree boot via dvd or memory card or burned ps2 games, legit ps2 discs plays fine though. Im gonna try adjusting the dvd laser pot more.
>>
File: ps2discpatch.png (167 KB, 1181x1011)
167 KB
167 KB PNG
You don't need to use ulaunchelf to boot PS2 pirates on a 75k,77k,90k btw.
It's enough that you just launch FMCB then shove your disc in. It'll autoboot into the game for you and work just fine.
You will need to patch the images first though. I used "PS2 Disc Patcher 3.0". Just make sure the Master Disc option is checked and click patch.
>>
>>7598580
So okay I managed to get the mcfree boot working, I noticed mine was version 1.8.something and newest is 1.966 so I wiped the original and installed the latest one and bam, it magically started to work on my slim again. I adjusted the dvd laser pot more but I still cant get any burned ps2 games working without using mcfree boot/ESR. Im not sure if I did something wrong, it tires to load, but after few seconds of black screen it boots me back to ps2 browser. I did patch the original unmodified ISO to "master" "with PSX/PS2 Disc Patcher v3.0".
>>
>>7598719
Burned imports aren't booting on my PAL 75k.
>>
Free McBoot on a ps2 phat with a hard drive is almost perfect. Sure ps1 compatible is good but I'd rather play ps1 games on a ps1
>>
File: ps2 backup unleashed.webm (876 KB, 426x240)
876 KB
876 KB WEBM
>>7598767
You get any errors?
Here's a webm of me booting an USA copy of Sonic Unleashed from a DVD+R on a PAL 90k. Starting FMCB via Funtuna since this unit doesn't support regular FMCB install.
>>
>>7598798
No. There is no red screen of death or disc read error - the disc appears in the browser as a regular PS2 disc.. When selected, it attempts to boot the game but returns to the OSD.
I understand that the console an additional region check during the PS2 logo screen. I believe this check is failing. When I launch the disc from ule, the logo is skipped so the game runs happily.

The PS2 logo looks really weird in your webm. Maybe that has something to do with why it works for you but not for me. Might be worth mentioning that I'm using a CD game, Ridge Racer V, as well.
>>
>>7598806
Does the disc drive make clicking noise when you put the disc in?
>>
>>7598842
No. Worth noting that my 50k has the same behaviour.
>>
>>7598881
OK, so I think I kinda figured this out.
It's just a bit specific/bitchy about CDs.
I burned a copy of Master disc patched Gradius V USA and got it to boot maybe one out of ten times on my PAL 90k.
Here's the thing, every single time it didn't boot it made several clicks in the disc drive. When it did boot it didn't click.
I also get the same behaviour on PS1 discs. Chrono Cross (Greatest Hits) original not-burned USA Disc 1 is almost never recognized but Disc 2 shows up immediately without problems.
When Disc 1 is properly seen it does not click. When it does click it tries to read the disc for a while then turns up with "Disc read error".
This tells me that the exploit used for patching the protection is somewhat bugged with certain discs.
This does not seem to be an issue on any PAL discs I've tried thus far but maybe I've just gotten lucky. DVDs have also been issue free for me as well.
Worth noting that when a disc does boot it reads just fine. So yea, a bug. Hopefully it'll be fixed. How does one report this to the dev?
>>
>>7598960
I think it's just your discs and your laser bro.
>>
>>7598985
Considering it's only specific discs which are in mint condition and this particular unit was bought in 2012 and only seen light use since, I doubt it. As said it's also not fully consistent with clicky discs sometimes booting with no problem.
>>
>>7598960
To add to this it works just fine with a burned copy of Chrono Cross disc 1 made from that original disc but written on the exact same model of CD-R from the same pack as the disc I used for Gradius V.
>>
>>7598719
with mechapwn you don't even need to patch anymore, just burn the bin/cue.
>>
>>7599256
This isnt true for ps2 games though
>>
>>7599256
Yes, you do. mechapwn only sets the developer flag, meaning the console will accept burned master discs just like a dev console. But the master flag must be set in the disc image first, which the patcher will do.

PS1 has no such flag so these don't need to be patched, only PS2 games.
>>
kek watch the prices for 5xxx fats skyrocket since they are basically the best PS2 models now.
>>
>>7599324
I have my eyes set on the 70xxx consoles now, actually. I love slim machines and this is the last one with proper PS1 support.
>>
>>7598960
Okay, I have more details. Ridge Racer V boots but only if fastboot is enabled. Selecting it from the browser doesn't work, it has to autoboot while freemcboot is being used.
>>
>>7598960
my disc reading errors with cd's and the clicking noise went away when I adjusted the CD pot, on my pal ps2 slim(late model)
>>7598806
>the disc appears in the browser as a regular PS2 disc.. When selected, it attempts to boot the game but returns to the OSD.
Mine does same thing without having mcfree memory card inserted, when I have that in then it boots.
>The PS2 logo looks really weird in your webm.
mine is like that too, it only happens with the master disc discs, not with ESR or legit discs.

Did I misunderstood something but wasn't this supposed to boot burned master-patched ps2 discs without mcfree memory card? If I need one, then whats the point when I need to patch the disc anyway?
>>
>>7599456
Are you trying to run burned imports on your PS2?
>>
Never tried OPL but have seen compatibility listings for I'm guessing fastest options, but there are still problems. Is alternative device read speed somehow limited no matter if it's fairly fast separate from the PS2? I've looked at PS2 data from time to time, doesn't really make sense that things like video playback would slow down(in HDD listings etc) unless the data handling was somehow too slow. Makes me think I could mod a game and those video problems might stop.
>>
>>7599515
Yes.
The HDD interface is PATA and limited to UDMA4 speed. That's still way faster than the disc drive so HDD is optimal.
Ethernet is 100MBit. USB is 1.1. Both are also subject to CPU bottlenecks. Depending on your exact configuration it may be fine though.
>>
>>7599529
I see, thanks for clarification.
>>
>>7599481
oh fuck I re-read the github page and I realized mcfreeboot is needed
>BOOT original PS2 discs all regions
>as well as PS2 Masterdiscs from all region
>by skipping the logo check (for example by loading a disc using ulaunchelf)
Im idiot
>>
>>7596757
Is this finally a softmod for ps2 that doesn't suck balls?
>>
>>7599324
>best
yes, please buy up that faulty e-waste and leave the actually good models for me.
>>
>>7599623
OPL HDD/SMB is the ideal way to pirate for PS2 and it works great with like 98% of titles, not sure how that "sucks balls" compared to burning a bunch of DVD's and wearing out your drive or soldering 100 points on your PS2 for one of the "simple" modchips BUT

this is a softmod that removes region checking so you can run legit imports and it also fully enables you to play burnt ps1 games to your heart's content, things that FMCB/OPL can't do because they only sidestepped the disc drive mechacon, it hasn't been broken into like this until now. It's also not like a modchip in that it's still acting like an official Sony console, you are just flashing part of it's firmware to make it think it's a developer debug unit that lets you do those things.

If these new abilities can be integrated into OPL and allow for true PS1 HD loading on PS2 then it will be truly god tier but I'll take what I can get for now
>>
>>7596960
Only PS2 games. PS1 emulation is useless if you try it that way
>>
>>7599679
Here's hoping the OPL crew do as such. POPStarter is a sad, abandoned piece of crap.
>>
>>7599679
>true PS1 HD loading on PS2
Will plikely never happen since the PS1 mode basically disables access to the HDD and other hardware that wasnt part of the PS1 system
>>
>>7599759
I thought hdd i/o was managed by the ps1 cpu.
>>
>>7597746
OPL doesn’t launch PS1 natively.
>>
>>7599679
If the ps2 dvd driver will spoil. under the contract you signed, modifications are considered illegal. Piracy is not the correct term to describe these efforts
>>
Is this an april fools joke?
>>
>>7599954
No, it actually works.
>>
I went and looked up what model I have, since I don't remember, apparently a 39001. Though strangely, people said its impossible to tell unless you look at the motherboard - but my console has it clearly printed on the back.
>>
>>7599772
The security's completely defeated and we're at the point people are freely flashing in their own shit at a bios level, it might take a good while but I've no doubt some fucker can make the 'PS1 mode' aware of the HDD eventually. The PS2 is already doing shit people were convinced would be impossible not long ago.
>>
I took the tissue out of my disc door latch today. Burnt a PS1 game that uses disc swapping. Got to the swap prompt, put in the 2nd burnt disc, worked seamlessly. I'm never going back bros. We made it
>>
>>7600007
You can't assume anything like that. It could be that entering PS1 mode simply unmaps the HDD IO ports and that the mappings are limited by hardware. This is typical.
>>
>have the week off from work and from school
>this drops
Well, time to bust out my PS2 again lol.
>>
>>7599641
>actually good models
5xxxx can now have OPL w/ HDD, ESR, mecapwn. No other model can do this.
I'm expecting prices to hit $300 by the end of the year, especially given how easy it is to get this all set up.
>>
>>7600579
The price of 1 specific model of PS2 is not going to triple in 2021 over this. Screenshot this
>>
File: 1602823248304.jpg (315 KB, 1116x1500)
315 KB
315 KB JPG
>>7597145
>dragon units are so bad they can kill the console just by playing scratched discs though.
Elaborate. I'm never giving up "Internal" loading for reliability, but I'd like to know anyway.

>>7600032
Don't care, I'm still believing.
>>
>find out about this
>get excited
>tfw my PS2 laser is dead
fuck
are the ebay replacements any good or are they chinkshit like the PS1 lasers?
>>
>>7600650
The dragon mechacon used in the 50xxx models onward can sometimes crash if the discs are hard to read. When it does, it burns out the drive's tracking coils.
Some time into the 70xxx's lifespan, this was "fixed" by adding a voltage limiter so it wouldn't burn out the hardware when it crashes. With the 75xxx units, the bug itself was fixed correctly.
>>
>>7600670
>When it does, it burns out the drive's tracking coils
easily fixed
>>
>>7600670
Yeah, I'm more concerned about the kill the console part, unless that's what you meant.
>>
>>7600579
>>7600650
>>7600707
the PS2 mechacon was designed to be buggy. it puts the laser and the controller chips in a loop state if you play burned discs, overworking the laser to death. modchips aggravate the issue because the components stay in this loop state for longer while data goes in and out of the chip.
dragon units (50k) are so buggy though, that even scratched discs can kill the laser. but the real problem is that the controller chips generate a ton of heat because of the mechacon (plus the 50k has an undervolted fan on top of it) which kills these chips.
Sony also used cheap resistors in the 50k model and these can't stand heat. except dragon units run warmer due to the above. symptoms include no hdd suppot, no video out and no power.
the first batch of slims is the same because they use the same components, the motherboard is almost identical.
>>
>>7596762
1st one to post is usually the worst gay. Some retard that spend his entire day on this board reloading the page till he get to be the first fag to shit in a thread. Not because he likes the thread but because he wants to be the first gay to shit on it. I am glad you got ignored so far
>>
>>7600667
I think most of the ebay PS2 lasers are OEM Sony ones
>>
At this point I'm more interested in NAS loading than evolving disc-based PS2 booting.
>>
>>7600763
So you're saying I should desolder whatever chip is on mine and buy a better fan.
>>
>>7600774
NAS loading is already about as good as it will get, except for one narrow possibility. And PS1 games will only ever be workable from discs too.
>>
>>7600786
Is playing PS1 games on a PS2 superior to playing them on a Vita?
>>
>>7600773
Nope I just did a quick search, most of them are chink shit now. OEM ones should still be easy enough to find though.
>>
>>7600787
Compatibility is better and no input lag. Vita adds a couple frames and it suffers from the same issues that POPS on PSP did, without the possibility of using popsloader to fix problematic games. POPS also runs a bit slower overall because of the emulation overhead.
>>
>>7600775
yes, unless you have a later slim. modchips are useless at this point and can damage your console.
you can replace the 50k fan with a 30k or 39k one but you may have to break a few tabs. or you can just replace it with a noctua, etc.
39k fans are really loud mind you.
>>
>>7600802
50001, I believe. Haven't turned it on in years, bought it about 5 years ago. Might have blown the fuse testing out the network adapter by plugging and unplugging it without pulling the plug, though it was without the HDD.
>>
>>7597180
Lol I got my chipped PS2 back in 2003 here in hueland. And still works.
>>
>>7599772
They said the same thing about GCN loading on the Wii but it got figured out eventually.
>>
>>7597937
It's the best emulator so far. And much better and easier compared to these PS2 mods
>>
>>7600763
Yeah but you can't play Barbie racing on 75k models, therefore they are shit and the 50k are the only good ones
>>
>>7600774
Wow man thanks for chiming in, insightful stuff here.
>>
>>7600837
Not true at all. GCOS actually worked on the Wii for loading games from an sdgecko before the Wii side was fully hacked. Technically speaking the capability was clearly there all along and it just took hard work to implement.
>>
>>7600840
If epsxe is better than playing on PS2 to you, or this is a hard or complicated mod in your eyes I have some bad news anon: You are retarded
>>
>>7600867
>You are retarded
Good argument. Next time try explaining why I'm wrong.
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 225x225)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>7600840
>ePSXe
>it's the best emulator so far
>>
>>7600886
Another bad argument. Try naming your best emulator next time
>>
>>7600857
Very soi, don't reply.
>>
>>7600895
fine, I'll spoon feed you you moron
http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/PlayStation_emulators
>>
>>7600837
Don't confuse software and hardware limitations.
>>
>>7600914
I bet you can't even point the part from this link that proves you're right. Even less name the best emulator so far
>>
>>7596987
This and other issues are really only from setups that either don't use a fat or don't use an HDD in the expansion bay.
>>
>>7600938
>http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/PlayStation_emulators#PC
>ePSXe is a fairly standard plugin-based emulator like PCSX-R, and as such the accuracy is typically about the same between the two. Its closed-source nature has had it constantly lagging behind in features, which is why it's not recommended.
>>
Will I not damage my PS2 from changing regions multiple times? Feels like fucking about with the firmware could brick it eventually
>>
>>7596757
Is there a more straightforward explanation of how to install and use this?
>>
>>7600961
You don't need to do it multiple times; you just set your ps3 to debug once.
>>
>>7600963
Run the provided program once with your favourite homebrew launcher of choice. Remove the power cable when prompted. Pressing the standby button is not enough.
Run the program a second time. Select the debug variant of your console from the menu. Remove the power cable again when prompted.

Your console now thinks it is a debug unit. PS1 burns will play straight up. PS2 burns will play if the master disc flag is set in the image before burning. There may be some fuckery with imports still depending on your console.

That's about it.
>>
>>7600952
>ePSXe is constantly lagging behind in features over PCSX-R
>These features adds texture correction, polygon wobble reduction, and polygon culling reduction.
>has the ability to render at higher resolutions without resorting to HLE plugins.
Both got the same accuracy. But PCSX-R gives you better graphics on new machines. Which is pointless because PS1 was never intended to play that way. Other wise I would just play games on a better console instead. And never play it in a PS1 console in the first place.
>ePSXe has also been commercially available on Android, but it's also not recommended.
But now ePSXe have received a lot of updates and it's the best for android. And cheap PCs also works great with ePSXe
>>
>>7601009
PCSX-R sucks too, are you actually retarded? ePSXe is literally ZSNES for PS1. get Mednafen, Xebra or PCSX-R-PGXP. or Retroarch if you're too stupid to operate plugins, which you seem to be.
>>
>>7600963
Step 1: have free mcboot
Step 2: put the .elf file on a usb drive and plug it in to your ps2
Step 3: open the .elf with ulaunchelf, following on screen directions up to when it tells you to unplug your system
Step 4: run the .elf again. This time it will ask what region you want to change to. Select dex in the first menu then whichever model number you have in the second.
Step 5: unplug your ps2 again and you're done!

I think you can only open burnt games from the browser instead of just turning the system on with one in the drive. I found that some disks that boot on my ps1 (tonyhax) won't boot for me with this and vice versa.
>>
>>7601020
>PCSX-R sucks too, are you actually retarded?
No, you are the retarded. I told you to name me the best emulator over ePSXe and you brought that shit comparison from your link
>get Mednafen, Xebra or PCSX-R-PGXP
Why? To upscale the shit out on a 1080p display and pretend it looks good. Who is retard enough to spend money on new hardware to play games with old graphics? I could get a ePSXe on an old machine plugged to a CRT just like the real thing you little zoomer pleb
> or Retroarch if you're too stupid to operate plugins, which you seem to be.
You're the one stupid to handle the configurations in ePSXe.
>>
>>7596757
This is basically irrelevant if the optical drive is already broken and you're using the HDD only, right?
>>
>>7601062
>Why? To upscale the shit out on a 1080p display and pretend it looks good. Who is retard enough to spend money on new hardware to play games with old graphics? I could get a ePSXe on an old machine plugged to a CRT just like the real thing you little zoomer pleb
that's exactly what Xebra is for you humongous faggot
minus all the shit that comes with ePSXe
some people shouldn't be allowed on the internet
>>
>>7601062
>No, you are the retarded
How to spot an ESL
Go shit up some brazillian forum, monkey.
>>
This thread just reinforces why the community does not deserve the work of hackers, emulator developers etc. It doesnt matter what you accomplish, how long it took for anyone to do, how simple you make it for people, how free it is - there will always be someone ready to say it sucks or isn't that great, or that needs it to be spelled out letter by letter, and if someone does they'll just say "i dont get it whyd they have to make it so complicated it doesnt work". Sad!
>>
>>7600765
Keep seething, faggot OP. kek
>>
>>7600876
epsxe vs. playing on a PS2: PS2 plugs right into my CRT via component. Looks awesome, the way god intended. No input lag, 99% compatibility with any games anyone actually cares about. Nothing to set up, just burn a bin/cue to a CD-R and pop it in. Original PS2 controllers. Etc.

epsxe: Outdated emulator, most likely being played on a shitty LCD monitor. To use it on a CRT is about 50x more complicated than using a PS2 on one. Zero soul, does have input lag, will almost certainly hitch and stutter at some points regardless of your PC. Best case scenario, a DS3 or DS2 via USB adaptor is being used. Realistically? A lot of people are using KB. Not great!

No contest.

The mod is not hard. It is literally downloading a 5MB file, dragging it onto a flash drive, putting it into your PS2, and opening the file. You do what it tells you and reset the system twice. Congratulations, you can now play burnt PS1 games.
>>
>>7600860
>>7600921
GCN USB loading has nothing to do with SDGecko though, and the explanation for why they couldn't get usb loading to work for so long was that GCN mode disabled all the Wii's new hardware similar to how the PS2 disables all its extra hardware for playing ps1 software. I'm sure the greater difference between the playstations and the gamecube and Wii makes it a less viable though.
>>
>>7600670
>Some time into the 70xxx's lifespan, this was "fixed" by adding a voltage limiter so it wouldn't burn out the hardware when it crashes.
How can I tell if mine has the fix?
>>
>>7601247
most games don't run as well on ps2. some titles are superior, but even the bleem is the superior experience for some titles
>>
>>7601206
Which community?
>>
>>7601545
T. Someone who doesnt own a PS2 and has never played on one
>>
>>7596980
>you're just killing your PS2 by playing burned discs
So what, its just a glorified dvd player with a memory card
>>
I got a 50xxx fat ps2 hidden away. Unmodded, ntsc-j though. I might try this one. Truth be told, I don't know shit about the ps2 modding scene. I just want to play ps1 & ps2 backups in best way possible.
>>
Is there now a way to restore an eeprom dump on units with a dragon mechacon?
I have been wanting to try PMAP on a 50xxx units for months but the thing about not being able to restore the eeprom in case something goes wrong has kept me from doing so.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (523 KB, 1286x1600)
523 KB
523 KB JPG
>>7600790
>>7600773
is this OEM?
>>
>>7596980
>5 minutes of work to instantly get a region-free PS2 that can play burned discs
>somehow not worth it
>>
File: Romeo-Laser-FixV9-V10.jpg (218 KB, 681x863)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
>>
>>7601743
can your dvd player play SotC?

>>7601912
romeo doesn't work. it helps the laser a bit, but it doesn't do anything about cheap resistors, bugged drive controllers or the extra heat.
>>
>>7601914
The core of all those problems is that the drive circuit was getting 12v. Dropping it to 5v makes it as reliable as the 3xxx consoles.
>>
>>7601826
People are retarded and unappreciative and take any opportunity to be contrarian. I honestly don't even see this as a huge deal for PS2, optical drive is to be avoided at all costs anyways for that. I'd be interested to hear if there's any examples of people getting better results with whatever games don't play nice with OPL /or/ ESR but that's a pretty small number of games. But unlocking the ability to boot legit imports and to use it like it was a beater chipped ps1, without any fuckin tissue and tape or disc swapping or modchipping.. glorious. The puzzle is just about complete for softmod ps2
>>
>>7601920
fixing the voltage does not change the fact that sony used cheap resistors that can't withstand heat, or that the firmware is buggier and locks the controllers in a loop state for longer than previous models. or the undervolted fan.
the 50k has a lot of problems, romeo only mitigates one of them.
>>
>>7601935
again, the decreased heat output from 5v takes care of most if not all those problems.
>>
>>7601938
how? the controller chips still generate a ton of heat due to the buggy(ier) firmware and the console still runs warmer due to the undervolted fan, the resistors are just as cheap with either 12v or 5v.
>>
>>7601943
>controller chips still generate a ton of heat due to the buggy(ier) firmware
the heat was due to getting 12v.
>>
>>7601945
it's not just that. it's also the fan, plus voltage has nothing to do with the resistors being crap. and the 39k also has a problem with dead BAs, it's not exclusive to the 50k.
>>
>>7601953
so do the noctua mod
>>
>>7601954
even so, the resistors are still crap and can't withstand heat, and the console runs warmer regardless because of the buggy firmware.
in theory this is not a big deal if you're playing off the hdd, but that's not what this thread is about.
>>
>>7601959
I told you how to fix those problems
Don't really understand your continued bitching.
>>
>>7601960
the romeo mod does not fix those problems you moron.
>>
>>7601805
Looks pretty good to me
>>
>>7600787
yes because vita has no L1/R2 and L3/R3. no, the back touchscreen doesn't count.
>>
>>7601254
>and the explanation for why they couldn't get usb loading to work for so long was that GCN mode disabled all the Wii's new hardware similar to how the PS2 disables all its extra hardware for playing ps1 software
Yeah, and it was disabled in software. On the Wii was handled by the Starlet coprocessor, and if you have the time and resources to hack Starlet you can make those peripherals available to GC mode software. This is a different situation to the Playstation where, as far as we know, those interfaces are shut off by hardware.
>>
>>7601746
PS2 games are usually played from the hard drive or an SMB share these days. The best way to play PS1 games on a PS2 is by burning discs with this hack.
>>
>>7596757
why no 3000x gosh i want to play ps1 backups so badly
>>
>>7602048
You can use tonyhax .
>>
>>7600007
>The PS2 is already doing shit people were convinced would be impossible not long ago
Such as?
>>
>>7602213
Such as the mechacon being hacked in the first place.
>>
>>7601963
It literally does though.
>>
>>7602213
Such as playing backups without modchips, swap discs or disc swapping and also region free you brainlet.
>>
>>7602793
Indeed. It's quite obvious there are plenty of brainlets here who were born AFTER the PS2 was released and when the romeo mod was even a thing.
>>
Why is /vr/ absolutely infested with retards?
>>
>>7602846
Because PS2 discussion is allowed here now.
>>
>>7602793
>>7602830
the problem: the mechacon firmware is bugged on purpose and locks the laser and the controller chips in a loop state, which overworks the laser to death and generate a ton of heat from the chips.
the proposed romeo "solution": change the voltage from 12 to 5 so the chips generate less heat and the laser can't focus past a certain point.

sounds great, except voltage is not the main reason why the chips die. that's the bugged firmware, and undervolting has no bearing in it. they generate too much heat at either 12v or 5v, it makes no difference.
undervolting also has no bearing on the poor quality resistors Sony used in 50k units. they can't stand heat, any heat. from either 12v or 5v. which is aggravated by the undervolted fan.
you can replace it, sure. but even with a noctua + the 5v romeo mod, the BAs still piss out more heat than the board can take it, because of the mechacon.
proof is that the chips can shit the bed even in a 39k which has none of these issues (bar the bugged firmware) AND runs much cooler.
>>
>>7596948
PS2 emulation of PS1 games isn't that good in some cases. PS1 is softmoddable now. No reason to play PS1 on PS2 moron.
>>
>>7603772
not to mention ps1 has decent ODE finally, xstation(and upcoming MODE). Fuck discs, especially ps1 discs and its awful laser which I dont want ever to deal with again.
>>
>>7603772
Playing PS1 games on a PS2 is less work than playing PS1 games on a PS1.
>>
>>7603821
PS2 ODE is more likely than ever thanks to this discovery.
>>
>>7596757
>You can now run burned PS1 and PS2 discs on a PS2 without hardware modifications.
well, ps2-dvd-games were possible for a long time (ESR)
where my 770xx-chads at?

>>7596786
the same applies to ps1, and it got 2 ODEs (sort of)

>>7596851
the what?

>>7599623
>softmod
>flashes eeproms of critical components
hmmmmm
>>
>>7603683
>generate too much heat at either 12v or 5v, it makes no difference.
did you fail physics?
>>
>>7603871
I clearly meant that the heat is too much at either 12v or 5v.
it does make a difference, the BAs generate less heat at 5v. but guess what? it's still too hot.
>>
>>7603869
>only overwrites software
>doesn't require installing any hardware
it's a softmod
>>
>>7600007
>it might take a good while but I've no doubt some fucker can make the 'PS1 mode' aware of the HDD eventually.
in ps1-mode, the chip in charge of controlling I/O in ps2-mode is the ps1-cpu.
good luck with that.

>>7600846
770xx masterrace
>inb4 500xx go "healthy at every size"
shiggy

>>7600802
>modchips are useless at this point and can damage your console.
bs

>>7601206
welcome to the internet.

>>7601943
>>7601914
>IC expects 5V
>gets 8V
>somehow the resistors are underprovisioned
Ya think!?
>>
>>7603929
>in ps1-mode, the chip in charge of controlling I/O in ps2-mode is the ps1-cpu.
that doesn't necessarily rule out the possibility. Disc IO on the Playstation is handled through the kernel which is loaded from the bootrom. You could patch the kernel to achieve such a thing.
Two problems: there's extremely little RAM for kernel patches and it's not clear whether it's possible to keep the HDD registers available in PS1 mode.
>>
Latest addition to the FAQ:
>Verify that you do not have a FMCB memory card inserted, FMCB memory cards that have NOT been installed using "multi install" may no longer boot (until FMCB is reinstalled to it) on a console that has been modified using mechapwn as the main kelf will no longer decrypt and the OSD will loop while attempting to load it.
lol people breaking a sweat and shitting their pants just because they had to save a couple kilobytes by not installing FMCB as multi-install, would love to see that
>>
>>7603929
>bs
>>7603683
>Ya think!?
I wish the crap resistors were the only problem with the 50k.
>>
imagine failing so hard at hardware design, that a modchip-group decides to produce a workaround and releases it free of charge LOL
>>
>>7603929
modchips aggravate the issues caused by the bugged mechacon firmware. because the BAs stay locked for longer while data goes in and out of the modchip.
>>
>### Why is my PS2 doesn't play DVDs anymore / FreeDVDBoot stopped working?

>The DVD Player KELF inside the BootROM (BIOS) is region locked. Since you changed the region of the console it can't run that file.
>To fix that you need to install a DVD Player update to your memory card.
The hacked DVD-player is better anyway (no macrovision shit, progressive support, regionfree iirc), but it takes away precious memorycard-space.

>### Why did FreeMCBoot stopped working?

>Version 1.8 is piggybacking a DVD Player KELF and faces the same issue as DVD Player players.
>Version 1.9 is supported, but you have to make sure you have the multi-region ("multi install") version installed.
oh no no no, old-sk00l 1.8-bros, we got too cocky.
>>
>>7604157
>>The DVD Player KELF inside the BootROM (BIOS) is region locked. Since you changed the region of the console it can't run that file.
Interesting. Doesn't seem to apply to 75000 consoles though, at least in mine - these are known to use a region free bootrom though.
>>
>>7604157
who tf uses a ps2 as dvd-player in 2021?
losing freedvdboot hurts, though.

makes install fmcb properly, if you need to, a bitch.
>>
>>7604173
he just fixed it:
>The DVD Player KELF inside the BootROM (BIOS) is region locked on non-deckard (pre SCPH-750XX). Since you changed the region of the console it can't run that file.
Slim-Chads, holla!
>>
They removed all mentions of playing backups. Why?
>>
>>7601020
>retroarch as a serious suggestion
>>
>>7604237
>I'm too big of a zoomer to waste 5 minutes on the ui
>>
File: thiskillsthefaggot.jpg (86 KB, 895x685)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>7604251
BACK! Foul demon! Back into the depths of your low birth!
>>
I haven't burned a CD/DVD in ages. How do you set the masterdisc flag to make it work with a modified console?
>>
>>7604282
https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426
>>
>>7599679
>like 98% of titles
Which ones are the remaining 2%?
>>
>>7604312
monkey hero
>>
>>7597201
>PSXLauncher or POPStarter
Which one is better?
>>
>>7604347
option #3
>>
>>7604350
Which is just burning CDs?
>>
Won't this fucking kill the laser? Do they even make new ones anymore?
>>
>>7604385
>Won't this fucking kill the laser?
no
>>
>>7604385
it will if you use it extensively for the reasons discussed above. it might damage your console as well.
slims except the first one are great for this because they don't any of the fat issues and the laser is easy to replace.
>>
>I have a SCPH-90001 not chipped here and tried the Mechapwn, it initially worked well, I went to system browser and typed triangle, the unity have with the DTL-H90001 name, but when I try to run any of my backups from the wle none of them work, the wle only display the info: Unsupported.
>I tried with ps2 and ps1 backups from the osd, and nothing, only red screen.
>>
>>7604347
Not really comparable, since psxlauncher is a method of playing burned discs after sensor modding, and Popstarter is a homebrew launcher for a shoddy emulator that plays VCD files.

>>7604379
That would require either psxlauncher, a swapmagic disc, a modchip, tonyhax, or this mechapwn mod
>>
so none of you buy physical copies, right? This discussion is about using pirated copies on legit hardware?
>>
>>7604775
this release also lets you play legitimate imports of PS2 games if that's what you want to do. but piracy clearly has wider appeal.
>>
>>7601009
>>7600938

Jesus, you fucking nigger. I wonder what really drives ugly spic like you to still simp for crap like ePSXe or ZSNES.

The years you sunk into using them?
Some shitty Brazilian romhack that only works on ZSNES?
Or the person who told you to use Duckstation was too mean to you?
>>
>>7604812
Not that guy, but that recommendation chart is retarded.
>>
>>7604775
I’m gonna be using it for my collection of imports
>>
>>7602034
Nintendont works by booting gcn games as wii games though
>>
would tonyhax on a ps2 let me play ps2 imports?
>>
>>7602828
Can't I do all of that with my FMCB memory card or installing FHDB onto my hard drive?
>>
I may be a retard but I've re-read the readme like 5 times and I can't figure out if 75k slims can boot PS1 backups.
>>7605151
No because the system is in PS1 mode IIRC.
>>
>>7605256
There're some compatibility issues doing that.
>>
>>7605287
I installed it and for anyone reading this, yes it does work with 7500x slims. (^:
>>
>>7598406
the official HDD software doesn't run disc backups like that. if you see people playing normal games from the HDD OSD it's probably just running the game in OPL or HDLoader.
things won't work how you want basically, OPL is still the best.
>>
does parappa the rapper 2 work burned with this method? it didn't work in ESR which made me switch to OPL back in the day.
>>
i can't wait to pirate PS1 games with this. i'll finally get to use my pocketstation.
>>
man i haven't kept up with softmodding in forever, still have freemcboot and hadn't even heard of this tonyhax or mechacon shit, thought freemcboot was already perfect lol
not that this fucking matters because all my old consoles are at my parents house which is in another country so corona fucks all that
i wanna see my old ass parents before they fucking die
>>
So with all this new developments between tonyhax and this, is there 1 (one) way for us pal-fags to play ps1 backups from other regions with a softmodded ps2?
>>
>>7603876
nigger that's over 50% less voltage going into the circuit. Again, did you fail physics?
>>
>>7603869
>softmod
>flashes eeproms of critical components
Oh boy the retarded hardmod vs softmod faggots have arrived.
>>
>>7603979
doesn't this undervolt the laser to the point that reading burnt DVD-RWs becomes impossible?
>>
>>7605782
can't you read you stupid fuck?
>guess what? it's still too hot.
if it wasn't then the 39k wouldn't have the same problem. except it does. the problem is the firmware, not the voltage. the voltage only aggravates the problem.
>>
>>7605797
show me temp numbers then. The problem is the voltage going to the laser.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (10 KB, 300x225)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>7596781
>he doesn't know
>>
>>7605802
I don't have the temp numbers and I don't need them. because the same thing happens with the 39k, which doesn't have the 12v going into it.
back in the day it was also common knowledge that the romeo mod did nothing for the BAs. it only helped the laser.
>>
>>7605805
>I don't have the temp numbers and I don't need them
So you're talking out of your ass, great.
>>
>>7605818
are you really this dense? the 39k has a better firmware and build and runs cooler. it also doesn't have the 12v line. except it has the exact same problem as the 50k, only it's more uncommon.
yet you're telling me that by just undervolting the 12v line you've fixed the problem. even though the fan and the resistors are still shit and the firmware is as buggy as ever.
you somehow fixed the problem, even though a better model without the 12v line in the first place, has the exact same problem.
>>
Is there a way to check whether you did the FMCB multi-install without reinstalling it? I don't recall whether I did.
>>
File: tn_1235245586270[1].jpg (8 KB, 220x180)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
I don't get the hype.
Yes, for PS2 it's an improvement, as ESR was limited to DVD-games, and now CD-"backups" can be handled too, which is nice, I guess. How many cd-games are there anyway?

But for PS1?
>BOOT PS1 disc originals from all regions
>originals
Yeah, well...
>>
>>7605918
It works with PS1 back ups from the same region on NTSC-j and PAL, and works with PS1 back ups from all Regions on a NTSC-U system. For some reason they removed that from the readme, don't know why maybe they are scared SONY will try and take it down or some shit.
>>
>>7605918
The readme got updated. Check the git history and it used to say it could boot backups.
>>
>>7605793
please, for the eternal love of god, do not use any kind of dvdrw with ps2. ever.
except maybe using a freedvdboot-disc to install

>>7605804
that's as much of an "Optical Discdrive Emulator" as you are not a virgin

>>7605904
you have to check the B*EXEC-SYSTEM-folder on the fmcb-memorycard for multiple osd*.elf-files, IIRC

>>7605930
I see: https://github.com/MechaResearch/MechaPwn/commit/ae2377198a75485c0129d228a648989956b5574e#diff-b335630551682c19a781afebcf4d07bf978fb1f8ac04c6bf87428ed5106870f5

>MechaPwn didn't meant to let you run backup, but out of region games.
https://github.com/MechaResearch/MechaPwn/issues/15
pffhaha, cute.
>>
>>7605943
except maybe using a freedvdboot-disc to install FMCB*
>>
>>7605918
Lol nigga read the thread. I've been burning PS1 games like it was the 90s the past couple days, it just works man. Feels good
>>
>>7605951
would PS1 backups kill your PS2 laser?
>>
>>7605956
if you are so in love with the laser, why don't you marry it?
>>
>>7605956
That's a question for you and your PS2 laser. Mine was never heavily used for CD's (different lens) , I've been using decent blank media, so far so good, never had anything hitch or have a game fail to boot yet
>>
>>7605956
Depends on how shitty the CDR's you use are, but even playing original discs will eventually kill the laser.
>>
>>7605943
>that's as much of an "Optical Discdrive Emulator" as you are not a virgin
does it run off the discs format?
how does that not make it disc emulation
>>
Hacked my 50000. Original US PS1 game didn't work, burned Japanese PS1 game does.
>>
>>7605754
>1 (one) way for us pal-fags to play ps1 backups from other regions with a softmodded ps2
If you have a slim 7500x or later you can just change it flash it to be a burger PS2 devkit and play anything you like on it.

>On SCPH-7500X and later models (also known as Deckard consoles)

>Disable disc region checks (ps1 and ps2 discs from all region as well as masterdiscs mount with data accessible)

>Change the IOP ROM region (the ROM sets a specific bank according to the mechacon region flags)

>Change the region the console reports as, as well as change the disc/kelf region that mechacon allows

>BOOT original PS2 discs all regions directly from the OSD

>BOOT original PS2 discs all regions as well as PS2 Masterdiscs from all region by skipping the logo check (for example by loading a disc using ulaunchelf)

>BOOT PS1 disc originals from all regions

I just did it to a piece of shit 90002 I had lying about and tested it with a bunch of disks from other regions including backups and it worked well.
>>
>>7606076
That because its a NTSC-J system, the bios won't allow it run games from other regions, unless they are region patched back ups.
>>
>>7606080
Readme wasn't clear that original US PS1 games won't work on a Japanese system.
>>
>>7606080
>>7606076
why is sony hating their own people so much?
jap ps1 were region-locked too, only accepts disc with jap-license-sectors, and tonyhax doesn't work on it either.

SHAMEFURU DISUPURAI!!
>>
>>7606086
Pal bios isn't any better.
>>
>>7606091
USA #1 once again
>>
>>7606103
Fucking Burgers
>>
>PAL-users with 500xx or 700xx royally fucked
lol

can't you set uLE to boot the disc right after launching?
>creat a folder on the mc
>copy ULE and its CNF into it
>launch that copy of ule from with the normal ule yo dawg
>set DEFAULT action to boot MISC/PS2Disc
>set "MISC" - "TIMEOUT" to 0
>add an entry for this ULE-copy to FMCB with the configurator
>put a totally not burned ps2-game in
>launch the previously created ule-entry, ULE launches, waits exactly 0 (zero) seconds and then boots the disc
your welcome.
>>
>>7605627
Probably.
>>
>>7606130
I just downloaded an old cogswap elf. Press X twice, without swapping the disc, and itll boot the game.
>>
Does this trigger anti-piracy in games looking for modchips like tonyhax does or no?
>>
>>7606203
I can try it if you like. What's a game that does this?
>>
>>7605754
>So with all this new developments between tonyhax and this, is there 1 (one) way for us pal-fags to play ps1 backups from other regions with a softmodded ps2?
I have pal slim ps2 90004 model and I flashed usa devkit and it did boot burned ps1 usa discs(and plays them at proper speed too).
It does also play burned pal discs but they dont play properly since it doesn't play them in PAL mode, but in NTSC mode which causes issues on pal-optimized games, crash 2 for example has fast music, resolution is wrong(looks secreted out and 1/3 of it is cut off) and the game runs too fast.
I tired patching euro devkit which run PAL games as they should, but with USA discs I just get black screen no matter where I try to boot them(straight, the settings menu, ps2 browser, mcfree boot..), the disc is not issue since they work fine on my modded ps1 and on same ps2 when I had usa devkit frimware patched.

So TL;DR if you want purely to run usa games then yes you can, but it seems like theres huge differences between models so how well it works depends on your console.
>>
>>7606241
>Tetris with Card Captor Sakura: Eternal Heart (NTSC-J) (SLPS 02886): anti-modchip protection gets triggered.
this is currently the only known non-working game on the tonyhax page
>>
>>7606250
tbqh all antimod-games should be marked as nonworking, except for those which have a workaround within tonyhax
I don't see how any of those games should be working with tonyhax without one, at least on usa-ps1s. on euro-ps1s, the antimod-check isn't executed.

>>7606241
dino crisis (usa)
>>
Man why is PS2 preservation such a bitch? It seems like every other console other than Xbox shit is way better off.
>>
>>7606272
because the library is 20 fucking terabytes compressed and constantly growing
>>
>>7606270
Tonyhax has a builtin patchlist for anti-modchip games.
>>
>>7606245
>It does also play burned pal discs but they dont play properly since it doesn't play them in PAL mode, but in NTSC mode which causes issues on pal-optimized games,
LOL what? really?
completely useless, which is sad, considering ps2 is setting proper ntsc- or pal-mode when playing these games, even if they're out of region (with a modchip).
>>
>>7606272
preservation of games is super easy with ps2, what are you talking about?
>>
>>7606280
In PS2 mode the games select the video mode themselves, in PS1 mode the video modes is forced depending on what the mechacon's video region is. You can swap the mechacon region with this hack though.
50xxx and 70xxx consoles still have the LOGO region check in the ROM, which is not altered when you switch regions. You will need to bypass this somehow to run imports. Reportedly an action replay disc works.
>>
>>7606295
oh shoot, you said ps1 and I read ps2.
sorry, pls rape my face.
>>
>>7606295
>50xxx and 70xxx consoles still have the LOGO region check in the ROM, which is not altered when you switch regions. You will need to bypass this somehow to run imports. Reportedly an action replay disc works.
You can also just go into misc folder in uLaunchElf and select run PS2 disc
>>
>>7606304
That's for PS2 discs not PS1 discs.
>>
>>7606307
Work with PS2 discs for me on a 50002
>>
>>7606309
yes... i'm talking about ps1 discs.
>>
>>7606307
>>7606312
Sorry I'm retarded, thought you we're talking about PS2 not PS1
>>
>>7606295
>>7606304
>>7606130

>>7606307
ps1-discs have no logo-check, the logo-check is ps2-only
>>
>>7606316
They literally do.
https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7968
>LOGO plays a most similiar function to PS2LOGO. It is a very very stripped version of the original OSD from the PS1. It simply does some initialization and jumps straight to checking the disc type and continues to do so until a valid disc is inserted and after performing some checks it will show the famous PS1 bootup logo.
>>
>>7606321
can't access that page
>>
>>7603839
Either way you just burn a disc. They're exactly the same amount of work. Stupid faggot.
>>
when are we getting ps1-over-smb
>>
>>7606337
>tonyhax
have a modded ps2 already so you can copy the save file. copy it. put the exploit disc in the console and boot it. run the exploit. swap the game.
>mechapwn
just put the game in
>>
>>7606341
probably never
if we're very lucky we will get ps1 over an sd to memory card slot adapter
>>
File: region change debug PS2.png (1.71 MB, 3440x1440)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB PNG
>>7606245
This could be a fix for it, if we can access this debug menu feature https://www.obscuregamers.com/threads/dtl-h90000a-ps2-menu-%E2%80%9Cselect-region-for-game-to-be-developed%E2%80%9D.851/
>>
File: region change debug PS2.png (682 KB, 1279x934)
682 KB
682 KB PNG
>>7606359
sorry forgot to crop the image
>>
>>7606364
Holding L1+R1+L2+R2 does not enter this menu on my retail 75k.
>>
>>7606373
I said it might work, I'm going to flash mine with 90000 setting and see if it works. In the thread it was only working on PS2 with DTL-H X0000A serial numbers.
>>
>>7606378
I don't think it'll work since it's controlled by BOOT ROM not mechacon. but do report back.
>>
>>7606385
Tried the 90000 no luck, think your right about the boot ROM thing.
>>
How much simpler to install could a modchip be made if it only had do stuff like video region fixes instead of having to fuck around with disc security?
Pre-existing modchips already do that stuff so the knowledge of what signal to send where and when already exists
>>
>>7606457
about a third as many wires to solder probably
>>
>>7596757
>No support for the 30000 series

Why live?
>>
>>7606558
You can use Tonyhax instead.
>>
>>7606559
That only works for PS1 games ya dingus.
>>
>>7606567
then use a hard drive for PS2 games? are you stupid?
>>
>>7606590
Maybe I am. What's wrong with wanting to just burn a game instead of fucking with loading games onto a hard drive and having to tweak settings for each one?
>>
>>7606596
killing your laser, killing your console, loading times. why the fuck would anyone use optical media when a hdd solution exists?
>>
>>7606596
Using an internal hard drive is actually very reliable. Fucking about with settings is more of a USB/SMB issue.
>>
unrelated but i dont wanna make a new thread. why dont tonyhax or psxlauncher boot king's field (jp)? i feel like this shit is impossible to get running without a modchip or right region console.
>>
>>7606635
Pal console?
>>
>>7606635
Is it the original king's field (jp) or the english patched one?
IIRC the english patched game doesn't work on hardware, only emulators.
>>
>>7606652
i got both patched and non patched images burned and neither work and according to rebbit legit copy doesnt work either without a modchip. and i doubt the en patch wont work on real console i burned ac3 jp patched which works fine.
>>
>>7606680
>i doubt the en patch wont work on real console i burned ac3 jp patched which works fine.
There are plenty of patched games that won't work on real consoles. It's nice that ac3 jp works but it doesn't mean anything.

Easiest would be to get an PSX and put a modchip in it.
>>
>>7597081
I own one and the laser is completely dead on it. I've also been having issues getting my network adapter to detect any hard drives.
>>
>method still inferior to $7 chip in 2021
Thanks but I'm gonna pass
>>
>>7605968
What model?
>>
>>7606715
>Easiest would be to get an PSX and put a modchip in it.
Easiest way to find out, I mean.
>>
>>7606635
Do you get a black and red screen with moonrunes on it or does it just not boot?
>>
>>7606295
>You will need to bypass this somehow to run imports. Reportedly an action replay disc works.
Wasn't that the method that's always been used?
>>
>>7606771
To swap with an action replay before you'd need a sensor mod or a drive tool, to bypass the drive's authentication. That's eliminated now.
>>
>>7606740
PS2 modchips are a notorious pain to install and fuck with whatever other homebrew you might want to run.
>>
>>7606778
From my experience only notorious pain is assembling FAT PS2 after install, because of those fucking ribbon cables. Its like only 16 wires, you don't even need to lift any legs. Best way to play ps1 games.
>>
>>7606605
Because they have Slims not Phats.
>>
>>7606282
He obviously means being able to play "preserved" games anon.
>>
>>7606797
SMB is still fine on a slim.
>>
>>7606807
But is it as good as HDD?
>>
>>7606827
No.
>>
That aussie faggot will make a video about then and then RIP 50000x and 7000x availability and prices.
Many such cases
>>
Fucking hell PS2 ODE when? I hate that every single backup solution on this thing has caveats
>>
>>7606850
It's more likely than ever now that we can get code execution on the mechacon.
>>
>>7606364
alt+printscreen makes a pic of just the active window
>>
>>7606858
I really fucking hope so anon.
From what I understand PS2 modchips need such extensive wiring because of copy protection, so the fact that mecapwn bypasses all that in software for dragon models might make for a very easy to install ODE.
I just wanna play Sly 1, Klonoa, Tales of the Abyss and PS1 games over component.
>>
>>7606861
That's handy to know, Cheers
>>
>>7606364
that user is describing what happens with ntsc-ps1-games on pal-ps2
the console isn't properly setting the video-output for out-of-region games (because it was never supposed to work)
PS1VModeNeg fixes that.

>>7606457
you don't need video-region-fixes for ps2-games, and for ps1 there's PS1VModeNeg
>>
File: catnotamused.jpg (73 KB, 700x525)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
Great.
I just sold a 75001 that was great at reading CD based games thinking I would never really use it much because I have OPL for PS2 games and a couple chipped PS1 consoles.
>>
>>7606652
>IIRC the english patched game doesn't work on hardware, only emulators.
why are people doing this wtf
>>
>>7606740
>$7 chip in 2021
that's with shipping, right?

>>7606778
FLUX, FLUX, FLUX

>>7606803
I see, that kind of """preservation"""

>>7606867
>that user is describing what happens with ntsc-ps1-games on pal-ps2
and vice versa

>>7606868
Now you have the chance to get a 770xx instead, yay.
>>
>>7606863
PS2 modchips require extensive wiring because the PS2's disc security is extensive. You can see already what the caveats are from only patching the mechacon - whereas a modchip would also have to patch at least the bootrom in order to achieve an acceptable level of functionality.
As far as I understand it the exploit behind mechapwn gives you the primitives you need to modify mechacon's firmware however you want. Currently, the exploit is only used to set configuration bits in the EEPROM so that it functions the same as the mechacon in a development console. An ODE would probably consist of a replacement firmware uploaded using this exploit plus some bespoke hardware replacing the disc mechanisms.
>>
>>7606868
75xxx consoles use DECKARD so they're not great for playing PS1 games. On the other hand the region free bootrom makes mechapwn much more useful for PS2 stuff.
>>
>>7606867
>>>7606867
>PS1VModeNeg
Fantastic anon, that's what I've been looking for.
>>
File: b51.jpg (10 KB, 255x200)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>7606908
>On older consoles (SCPH-70000 and older), please take note that there is a risk that your TV might blow up or gets damaged
>>
>>7606937
because the low-level-values set by the program are educated guesses based on research and shit.
on 750xx and newer the app can tell the bios to do the changes itself
WARNING: Coffee is hot
>>
>>7606937
>>7606952
from the readme:
>That hasn't happened to the two TVs I've tested on, but I don't want to guarantee anything because the method I use involves tweaking with the values that the PS1 driver appears to write to the GS's SYNCHV register (One of the undocumented registers that Sony had prohibited external developers from writing to directly).
>>
I wish sony would make an updated system that plays all ps2 games easily
>>
>>7607006
Never going to happen, they make money reselling old games digitally.
>>
>>7606807
>>7606827
Just use this method
https://www.psx-place.com/threads/nano-travel-routers-portable-fast-comfortable-and-easy-to-use-for-streaming-games.27041/
>>
>>7605627
Same here actually, not only did it not work but my PS2 literally spit out the disc in disgust, which I thought it was pretty neat. Since this has native support it should work as long as you patch the DVD properly.
>>
Retard reporting. I have a chipped SCPH-700012 woth FreeMCBoot and OPL also the laser never gave me any issue, what's in there for me?
>>
>>7607174
>chipped
>what's in there for me?

Nothing.
>>
>>7596757
Kek, who would do this.
>>
>>7600667
les hassle to just buy another used ps2
>>
>>7607180
Thought so, the only thing I wish is that there were some OPL like alternative for PS1 games that worked more reliably without having to burn CDs or using an actual PS1.
>>
File: AJ2443406001.jpg (845 KB, 1600x1598)
845 KB
845 KB JPG
Recent commits:
>add SCPH-550xx
wtf that model existed?
>pic related
/fa/ af

>check if there is already a backup
>add option to restore backup
heh, would be nice to have, indeed.

Issues:
>Add SCPH-39001 Support
>The scph 3900x units have the motherboard Gh-22 and Gh-17, with the dragon based mechacon. As you should know, the last board revision with the scp mechacon was the GH-16,
Noice

>A: I tried with ps2 and ps1 backups from the osd, and nothing, only red screen.
>B: MechaPwn didn't meant to let you run backup, but out of region games.
>A: Sorry I refered to the masterdiscs trick, can't run any masterdisc
kek "trick"
wonder if they regret releasing this exploit already
>>
>>7607582
>Issues:
>>Add SCPH-39001 Support
>>The scph 3900x units have the motherboard Gh-22 and Gh-17, with the dragon based mechacon. As you should know, the last board revision with the scp mechacon was the GH-16,
>Noice
Read the comment, those models don't actually use the dragon.
>>
>tfw I get fuchsia screen instead of red when using discs not burned properly
>>
>>7606082
>”NTSC-J and PAL consoles: BOOT PS1 disc originals from the console's original region”
>>
>>7607582
I just created a git hub account to ask them a question, and they won't allow questions from new users.
Wanted to know if they could add this >>7606364 to Deckard consoles since the IOP rom gets changed and I'm to retarded to figure out if its also the boot rom in those models or not.
>>
>>7606345
>have a modded ps2 already
No thanks, I prefer my hardware unmodified. Also, PS1 mode on the PS2 is inferior to playing on an original PS1.

When it comes to playing PS2 games, FreeDVDboot is better than mechapwn because you're modifying the game's ISO instead of your console's firmware.
>>
>>7608184
You need a softmodded PS2 to be able to put tonyhax on the memory card in the first place.
ESR is worse than burning a mechapwn'd disc simply because of compatibility. There's a whole mountain of workarounds and workarounds for workarounds that ESR has to maintain to bypass the drive protection - it's much easier and more compatible to just switch off the protection. Parappa 2 is an example of a game that has already been mentioned in this thread that does not play nicely with this.
>>
Just a tip to anyone trying to run burned PS1 imports with this on a 50xxx or 70xxx console. You want to use SetRegion to change the region string in the bin to whatever your console is.
https://consolecopyworld.com/psx/psx_utils_pn_cnv.shtml
You then may want to run the game with PS1VModeNeg, to ensure it boots in the correct video mode.

t. someone who is currently enjoying NTSC-U Crash Bandicoot 3 on his PAL PS2.
>>
>>7608184
>When it comes to playing PS2 games, FreeDVDboot is better than mechapwn because you're modifying the game's ISO instead of your console's firmware.
sure hope you're enjoying your ps2-cd-games with freedvdboot.
>>
>>7608259
It's probably better that you convert those games to DVD anyway.
>>
>>7600579
>OPL w/ HDD, ESR, mecapwn. No other model can do this.
HDD is outdated. Slims can do wireless streaming and ESR and mecapwn. And freedvdboot
>>
>>7608294
SMB is still kinda slow and suffers from a few more compatibility issues. HDD is fast, self-contained and just werks.
>>
>>7607651
What does that mean then?
>>
>>7608326
It means that MechaPwn won't work on those models
>>
>>7608326
The dude who opened the issue was mistaken and was corrected by a developer.
>GH-17, GH-19 and GH-22 have the last SPC970 based mechacon ever made. They are BGA, but still not Dragon.
>>
>>7608184
Why do you care so much about the firmware, just modify it and have it over with. No reason to not at least get the test unit firmware for whatever model you have.
>>
If some games are problematic with OPL, could a hardware mod be done to lessen the load? Probably a whole other weird mess though.
>>
>>7608358
An ODE is the most likely solution to that.
>>
>>7608265
doesn't work with all
>>
>>7608342
Men prefer hack-free consoles with their seal intact
>>
>>7608479
It's a completely reversible hack.
>>
>>7606883
*looks at PS1 compatibility notes for 75xx and up*
OH NONONO slim bros we got too cocky. No barbie racing or 101 dalmatians for us!!
>>
So let me get this straight.
With this I can get my 7000 Pal region PS2 to run any PS2 region backup as long as I set it to a DEX console and burn the PS2 backup as a master region?
If so, how does one burn an ISO as a master region? Say I want to play the US version of Ape Escape 2. I guess I could also play the PAL version but for the sake of example would that work still?
I know without conversion it says US and J region games won't work on a PAL 7000 unit. I'm just asking with conversion is it something that can be done.
Mostly because I don't have a fat PS2 onhand and the network method is flawed.
>>
>>7606795
As compared to something that doesn't require you to open the console at all and instantly enables you to play PS1 burns all day long, pending you don't have some retarded eurotrash or JP console. Right. Only 16 wires.
>>
>>7604296
>>7608578
make sure that your browser is up to date or that server blocks you for life
>>
>>7608605
my browser's old shit(2018) and it worked fine
maybe you have aggressive scripts/extensions causing problems
>>
>>7606868
Sorry anon. I have been burning and playing PS1 freely on my 75001 since this dropped. Everything just works and it is based. Hope you find a suitable replacement
>>
>>7608578
Master discs are not another region, but a separate property of the disc image. A game can be US + retail, US + master, EU + retail, EU + master, etc.
DiscPatcher 3.0 can make an ISO or a bin a master disc image. Just select the image, toggle the flag, and click patch.

Mechapwn only affects the drive controller, not the PS2 BIOS. For 50xxx and 70xxx models, region checking is performed in both. You will not be able to boot retail or master imports from the BIOS. wLaunchElf does not do region checking so you can use that to boot such games.
>>
Outside of being related to this, does being retail/master affect anything?
>>
>>7596757
hope you have a crt otherwise ps2 hardware isn't worth using
>>
What games cause the most trouble for OPL etc?
>>
>>7609432
Tony Hawk's Underground loads too fast and will eventually crash on a loading screen with even the most conservative settings.
Klonoa 2 has issues I hear but I haven't played it.
Parappa the Rapper 2 works fine in OPL but not ESR so I'd like to hear if it works burned as a master disc.
I tried an image of EGBrowser Lite in OPL and it didn't work but I don't know if that's OPL or a bad rip.
>>
>>7609451
I wonder if modding Hawk as DVD9(or more if that somehow works?) with lots of dummy data could do something.
>>
Are there any mods that are good to use in general for games? Maybe make loading slightly faster or something. Hell, I want to test loaders in an emu if that somehow works.
>>
>>7609527
Depends if emulators emulate the HDD or usb I guess. If they do I bet it'd work.
>>
>Add support for 5.06 Mexican MehcaCon
ayyy mexicans have their own Mexacon
>>
>>7609432
ace combat 5 freezes after briefing on 4th mission and briefing cutscenes are missing music. the game works perfect on previous versions i cant remember which exactly maybe 0.8 opl
>>
>>7608306
>HDD
Enjoy your stuttering FMVs.
>y-you can't play barbie with freedvdboot
Cringe.
>>
>>7609987
HDD is faster than the disc drive and >>7609451 listed plenty of popular games.
>>
>>7609987
>Enjoy your stuttering FMVs
maybe if you use it through USB
>>
>>7610000
If you have a DECKARD slim even USB can play FMVs at full speed. At least in the games i tested.
>>
>>7610007
Still, it would be better to just use the ethernet connection with slims
>>
>>7610014
I like just being able to put a USB stick in and have it work with a minimal amount of wires and connections. But SMB would be a performance improvement.
>>
>>7609995
HDD doesn't work with a lot of games like ssx 4, shadow man 2, star wars jedi starfighter, rainbow six 3, ratchet and clank 3, and a lot have freezing problems like jak ii, james bond, bloodrayne 2, etc
I'll stick with physical media and if you want to talk about emulating the disc drive go to the emulation general and get fucked you pathetic imbecile.
>>
>>7610030
I mean if you use a mini router you can plug an SD usb stick into that
>>
>>7610041
I think you're looking at an old compatibility list, I've played Ratchet 3 personally and it just werked.
>>
>>7610041
>A disc is physical media
>A hard disk is not
wut?
>>
>>7610045
You're still looking at another box and another power supply.
>>
>>7610059
fair enough, I just don't like dealing with extra load time than even discs
>>
>>7610041
OPL with a HDD works with more games than ESR does.

Now if you were recommending using unpatched or master discs you'd have a point.
>>
>>7610007
>If you have a DECKARD slim even USB can play FMVs at full speed.
Is this really the case? I thought the problem was that the ports are USB 1.1
>>
>>7610083
There are two separate problems. One is that the ports are USB1.1. The other is that there is a CPU bottleneck. The CPU bottleneck is removed on the DECKARDs.

USB1.1 is still slow, but it's fast enough to maintain video playback. It's a hair faster than 1x DVD.
>>
>>7610092
I'm assuming some FMVs still stutter, though?
>>
>>7610212
Maybe, I haven't been able to test all games. If you can name a game which is known to run particularly poorly, I can try it.
>>
>>7610223
I think FFXII and the first Ratchet & Clank.
>>
>>7610223
RE Outbreak File 2 Intro FMV
>>
>>7608479
Gay men, sure
>>
Probably a dumb question but can you burn ps1 games to dvd-r or do i need to go get some cd-r?
>>
>>7610302
what do you think?
>>
>>7610305
That it’s a dumb question
>>
>>7610302
Just use a blue ray disc anon. and fill it with lots of PS1 games
>>
>>7610309
Ok cool. Can i also put bluray images with lots of ps1 games into my x-station sd card to keep the menu clean?
>>
>>7610314
Don't see why not
>>
>>7610223
tales of the abyss is quick to test as it stutters and it starts with opening FMV
>>
>tfw lived long enough to see the possibility of a PS2 ODE
>>
>>7610314
>2021
>using SD cards for storing your PS1-Blurays
>>
>>7610092
Just because a USB 1.1 port might be theoretically fast enough at max bandwidth to keep up doesn't mean the drives (flash drives) will keep up. I had a USB flash drive cause problems over SMB for me and then I realized it was a piece of shit that couldn't sustain read speeds fast enough to cover 4x DVD. I use a mechanical externally powered drive now for SMB, no more issues.
>>
>>7610059
Travel routers can be powered off the USB port on the PS2 itself. Once you configure them it's a nice little self contained, portable solution, basically they just become a USB-to-Ethernet adaptor.
>>
>>7610417
Your 8GB flash drive from 10 years ago might not be able to keep up. Anything with USB 3 will saturate USB 1.1 easily.
>>
>>7610426
It was a 64gb verbatim I bought last year. Flash drives suck dick but thats why they're generally not relied on for any demanding r/w applications!
>>
>>7610437
Verbatims are dogshit is why. I have one which outright halts for hundreds of milliseconds at a time, and which crashes PS2 and Wii games where other drives wouldn't.
>>
Patched an iso with the master disc patcher tonight. It boots automatically on my 75001 if my mcboot card is in. If i take fmcb out, it boots straight to the browser where it shows it as a PS2 disc, but when you select it the screen just goes black for a sec and then brings you back to browser. I love this hack. Could be coincidence but it was a game that has never been good about booting for me under ESR, tried and retried to burn it but still super patchy, other games boot every time so I'm skeptical that its all on my laser. So far I've booted this one like 5 times and its worked flawlessly.
>>
>>7608643
I have a couple of 50001s around that I'd need to clean/tweak the laser before I can use them so not everything is lost. But if I had kept the slim it would have been less work.
>>
>>7610419
2.5W is enough? really?
>>
>>7610242
I just tried Ratchet & Clank. Gameplay and in-engine cutscenes are fine. There were two momentary stutters in the Novalis infobot cutscene. Video to come. Tested on SCPH-75004 and a USB 3 HDD.
>>
>>7610462
>USB 3 HDD
world that even matter
>>
>>7610447
>It boots automatically on my 75001 if my mcboot card is in.
what? why? what has fmcb to do with it? doesn't sound right.
>>
>>7610464
I just want to confirm that the USB device isn't creating a bottleneck.
>>
>>7610468
Not him, but I have the same result. I believe it's related to the PS2 logo check, which cannot be decrypted correctly when using master discs.
>>
As someone mentioned, you don't necessarily get to saturate full speed for any device, handling an alternative is more than just disc. I'd say 1.1 is a little too close to max needed, videos can use nearly all of that while needing to decode full data as disc. Games don't just handle video, it can be doing other things as well. Abyss uses more than half max and supposedly stutters, I can also tell you that GTA4(JP) uses max.
>>
>>7610490
Uh GT4, oops.
>>
>>7610479
that's a bummer
>>
Looking at Abyss(JP), the video is as mentioned, but is likely handling a data chunk reaching max. This is being handled whole while GT4 is just video. Think loading a 4MB jpg here but for some reason 2.5MB is the image and the rest is a mystery.
>>
>>7610462
>>7610242
Here is the clip.
https://youtu.be/DxSTDfegQ9A
>>
>>7596757
holy shit this is so awesome, I don't need to waste money on fixing my PSX now. based PS2 hackers.
>>
>>7597201
>Wait, this isn't an april fools joke?
it's asking me to unplug the power cord
god fucking dammit
>>
>>7610620
nevermind, IT WORKS
>>
>>7610617
>not fixing a console
>>>/v/
>>
>>7610626
I can fix consoles, I just didn't want to buy a whole new motherboard + modchip
>>
>>7610620
The mechacon is the chip which wakes up the PS2 from standby. You need to cut power to it for the changes to apply.
>>
>>7596786
>probably never since so much of the ps2's drive is integrated with the motherboard
Why would that stop it from happening? PS1 hardware is the same and there are three separate ODE options for it. Why do you shitbrains feel the need to reply to things you don't know about?
>>
>>7610637
Technically it's the syscon which does that, but on Dragon units they are integrated into the same processor.
>>
>>7610641
It's easier to say dumb shit and get corrected than to make correct predictions in the first place.
>>
>tfw it actually works
What's your favorite brand of CDs for burning PS1 games?
>>
>>7610661
Taiyo Yuden
>>
File: hmmmmm.gif (51 KB, 192x224)
51 KB
51 KB GIF
>>7610668
>Yuden
>juden
>>
This is nice and all, but still not going to bother until I can load from HDD
(which could be soon hopefully from this?)
>>
>>7610675
you can though?
>>
>>7610675
PS1 games loading from a HDD without special hardware such as an ODE is unlikely to be possible.
>>
>>7610641
>PS1 hardware is the same and there are three separate ODE options for it

1.) Three?
PSIO, Xstation, and?

2.) compared to neat stuff like gcloader, gdemu and fenrir, which tap directly into the connection between discdrive and mainboard. they are ugly butcher-hackjobs

>>7610673
>Yuden
>it's Japanese
baka gaijin rarara
>>
>>7610676
No.

>>7610681
I would mod mine for the possibility no problem.
These jew fucks usually charge like 200$ for a simple device though because :GAYMEN
>>
>>7608240
Thanks anon.

>>7597169
>>7597174
Read >>7608240
>>
>>7607113
Wait so is thing USB + Travel Router thing better than using SMB alone?
>>
Tried this with my schp55xx, unmodded. Tried it with my black bottom ps1 disc and it didn't work. Just takes me to red screen. Though I don't have any blank cds to burn ps1 iso to try. Or maybe my lense is fucked.
>>
>>7610892
Are you trying to run an import?
>>
>>7610892
Is your console PAL and you are trying to play an imported game?
>>
>>7610891
The point of the travel router is to have a small box that can act as a dedicated SMB server for the PS2 and possibly be powered by the PS2's USB.
>>
>>7610901
>>7610898
My ps2 is JP and change the region to US using Mechapwn. Maybe from the looks of it I did something wrong.
>>
>>7610928
From the GitHub readme:
>Why do PAL/NTSC-J consoles do not play NTSC/PAL discs (on scph-70000 and earlier) ?
>The IOP ROM on those consoles have enforced strict logo decryption checks both in the PS1 and PS2 BIOS which the NTSC-U (also used in ASIA consoles) BIOS does not have.
>>
>>7610513
I messed up with Abyss, it is just the larger ~90MB chunk, thought it was smaller. Didn't mention, but GT4's data is a bit packaged like a zip, so that's extra along with weird decoding like it's two videos at the same time. Have that chunk compressed into ~4 out of boredom, res really is that small.
https://i.fiery.me/QZmQ1.webm
Might crash your browser if it's really old, old players might not support it as well.
>>
>>7610928
Changing the region with mechapwn only changes the mechacon's region, not the ROM's region. Your PS2 BIOS is still rejecting this disc because it is still JP.

You must patch and burn the disc image like described in >>7608240
>>
>>7610931
>>7610949
Reading the readme from github, looks like it doesn't have any solution for now. Is there any workaround through all of this? My goal is to play psx backups. For ps2 i can just pop in opl.
>>
>>7610971
Yes, read this >>7608240
>>
>>7610971
I just linked the workaround to you. You must patch the PS1 image so it matches the region of your console. The region checking in the BIOS is not altered by this hack and cannot be worked around in software (yet?),
>>
>>7610973
>>7610983
Reading it right now. Thanks, buddy.
>>
>>7610548
wow
had no idea the old chip bottlenecked usb speeds that hard
that's actually pretty good
>>
>>7610092
>The other is that there is a CPU bottleneck. The CPU bottleneck is removed on the DECKARDs.
Didn't know this, cool stuff.
>>
>>7606937
wow that sounds cool haha
>>
Would it be possible to burn a ps2 disc that looks for a hard drive and then run your games from there?
>>
>>7611451
Sure, but why bother when you can just autoboot to OpenPS2Loader with FreeMCBoot?
>>
>>7611451
silly
>>
>>7611460
OPL is fine and all but some compat issues still hurt?
>>
>>7611769
This does not and will not function as an OPL replacement. If you're lucky we will get an ODE out of it.
>>
Can someone test if kings field 4 works? That game always has weird issues with loading areas off of disc with certain configurations.
>>
>>7611781
How soon would I know if it's working or not?
>>
>>7611804
Walk until music changes signifying a loading zone. 5-10 minutes at most.
>>
>>7610460
Really really. There's videos on youtube demonstrating, I used one for a while
>>
>>7611812
Well I heard the music change several times as I walked through a few tunnels and then I drowned in a small pool because I didn't know how to swim up. Does this help clear up your question?
>>
>>7611972
Probably. One of those would have likely had loading issues, so that should be good. Thanks man.
>>
>>7608656
Ok so I burned Ape Escape 2 and I launched the game via wLaunchElf and it boots up. But it has a black screen after the Ubisoft logo and won't load up into the actual game.
I notice the Iso is like 1.7gb. Does it need dummying out or a particular way to be burned.
I toggled the flag and patched it.
I could just grab the PAL version in the meantime and try that as well and maybe a larger game and some blue disc games for good measure. It's just that Ape Escape 2+3 don't have PAL 60 support.
>>
>>7608656
>DiscPatcher 3.0
Is that program really safe?
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/bff0e56b9630566f5b3641b6a5bedf99f13e4d66cad66b5107882bc96134bac4/detection
>>
>>7612167
Worked for me
>>
>>7606830
Why not?
>>
>>7612184
Significantly slower transfer speeds and more compatibility issues.
>>
>>7612167
>literaly who Anti-Virus go "MALICIOUS!!1"
>well known brands give the green light
LOL
>>
>>7612206
Gonna call BS on SMB being "significantly slower" unless HDD completely eliminates load times or something. It's definitely not any slower than using real discs
>>
>>7612219
HDD doesn't eliminate load times but it is noticeably faster than both a disc or SMB.
If you're only comparing to discs though then yeah SMB won't give you any problems.
>>
>>7612126
The PAL version will work but only if the PS2 slim is rotated to a certain angle.
Yeah. It's probably these shoddy DVD-Rs I'm using.
>>
https://github.com/MechaResearch/MechaPwn/releases/tag/2.00
>>
>>7612556
>only if the PS2 slim is rotated to a certain angle
What?
>>
>>7612561
>NeoGeo emulation
Can that be done properly on a PS2? I remember trying a bunch of games for SNES emulation and even Super Mario World had some issues.
>>
>>7612606
Imagine the PS2 Slim rotated 90 degrees forward so the controller port is facing downwards.
Thats the only way the game loads.
Normal PS2 game is fine so it's the media or a bad dump. So I'll probably try another game and if that doesn't work I'll give up for now.
>>
>>7612620
Yeah. It's the discs I reckon the other game was larger and even worse. Guess I'll have to try and hunt down some verbatim. The Maxell discs my local store has aren't cutting it.
I'll try the Maxell CD-Rs at least with a PS1 game and a PS2 CD game.
>>
>>7612561
BTW, be very careful with this release. You can fuck your console and make it hard to unfuck if you accidentally trash your original nvm.bin.

Just ignore the force-unlock option for now and back up many copies of your nvm.bin.
>>
>>7608471
Not him but it does, use UltraISO
>>
>>7612869
No it doesn't. Some games use LBA directly which will absolutely break an automatic CD to DVD conversion.
>>
>>7612690
Can confirm now that the US Street Fighter EX3 works perfectly fine on a PAL unit via booting it with wLaunchElf with the Maxell CDs. So I assume PS1 CDs will work too.
Meaning I need to try a bunch of DVD-R brands since the PS2 is notoriously fussy with them.
It's funny to me since the Wii pretty much played any DVD modchip or softmod. It didn't care about the quality of the disc at all.
>>
Just dumping a last bit of Tales since it was mentioned. About 1min in on the bottom is just a random scene. The starting 20s is game only, otherwise it has various unrelated speech.
https://i.fiery.me/Quy0a.webm
>>
PAL patched and burned Mizzurna Falls English patched and it's just not working, has anyone got it to work?
>>
>>7612970
>it's just not working,
Where and how does it fail? Do you see the PS1 logo?
>>
>>7612561
>Force-Unlock is a very much needed feature for homebrew applications, like Neo Geo emulation,
wot
>PS2 Linux for reading CD and DVD-ROM discs.
ay
>>
>>7612970
>PAL patched
eww
>>
>>7612972
Yes, then it goes to a perm black screen.
>>
>>7613186
BTW, this is the only game that is just not working, (tried some PAL and NTSC-J Region patched games), already wasted 2 CDs.
>>
ODE is so close I can smell it
>>
Is there other stuff worth decrypting for the system? I remember something about loaders or something being unusable on some PS2's, maybe this can give access somehow.
>>
Anyone knows if you can play different regions games on PAL 50000 or 70000 with PSXLauncher? Cause if you can I would just rather tape down the sensors.
>>
>>7612931
Also managed to get Chrono Cross working and looking nice using PS1VModeNeg.
Though I only have a PS2 component cable on hand so I had to swap my cheapo converter box to composite mode, plug in the green to pretend it's a yellow and test it out in black and white.
This box doesn't hold a candle to a proper upscaler but it's good enough to plug into a capture card I have on hand and then test through my PC.
(This cheap upscaler doesn't support 240p, so using composite it'll be forced to work via 480i which does work because when you run Chrono Cross via component only the menus show up since they are 480i)
I don't think I'd use the PS2 Slim to play PS1 backups Vs just emulating it but it's nice to know it's an option.
>>
>>7613487
Yeah. You just use the two tools mentioned here with freemcboot.
First you use DiscPatcher to patch the game to PAL region, then you burn it, then you put on the PS2 with no disc in, launch PS1VModeNeg, then put the disc in and it should load up just fine as if it was on a US console.
I was using the US version of CC as a test. I patched and burn it.
>>
>>7613512
This is assuming you have set up mechapwn of course
>>
>>7613515
I meant without mechapwn. Just fmcb, psxlauncher + tape mod.
>>
>>7612561
So does force unlock break ps1 or this new version breaks ps1.
>>
>>7612947
Slight fix that obviously everyone here wants and will notice. https://i.fiery.me/zBlO6.webm
>>
>tfw 39001
Haha, it's okay I didn't want to play burnt games anyways haha....
>>
>>7614082
If you want to at burned PS1 games, use Tonyhax.
>>
>>7613852
Force unlock breaks PS1 and DVD videos.
I'd avoid using force unlock at all rn.
>>
>>7613487
It should be possible if you do this.
>Patch PS1 region string and burn disc
>Insert legitimate PS1 game
>Run uLaunchElf and swap the disc
>Run PS1VModeNeg
The usual caveats of disc swapping like broken CD Audio and needing a large TOC apply.
>>
>>7613186
The region check is succeeding then. This isn't a security failure, but a compatibility failure. Either the game or the translation patch is not compatible.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.