[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: my coomlection.jpg (53 KB, 1080x810)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
Last thread is over the post limit.

Latest developments: ZXNext:
- Update base code to latest Next code.
- Update boot.vhd to latest version matching the core version.
- Improvements in SDRAM.
- Improvements in virtual SD card.
- Some changes in keys: F1->F4, F11->F9 (matches original Next now)

This thread is to discuss the Mister project itself and FPGA emulation of classic consoles and computers in general. Let's keep this positive and please ignore trolls attempting to start arguments over FPGA vs software emulation, Mister complete build prices etc, DE-10 Nano availablity etc.

>What is MiSTer?

>MiSTer is an open project that aims to recreate various classic computers, game consoles and arcade machines, using modern hardware. It allows software and game images to run as they would on original hardware, using peripherals such as mice, keyboards, joysticks and other game controllers.

More information available here:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki
>>
emulator general
>>
>>7595640
No one is buying your meme machine, shill.
>>
I just the gang on the 5th. Can't wait.
>>
Please be real, Please be real, Please be real, Please be real, Please be real, Please be real,...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VokXG4fn10&feature=emb_logo
>>
>>7595763
>that shitty rap music
wtf were they thinking
>>
Gee mister
>>
>>7595763
What's the date today?
>>
File: 1607968987432.png (966 KB, 1117x1182)
966 KB
966 KB PNG
>>7595743
>>Only $200 to play neo geo and super nintendo roms? Yes please!!
>>
>>7595743
KEK. There are other things I can spend $200 on. Wouldn't waste it on emulating old games. lol For example I just bought myself some new clothes, which is sure to impress the ladies.
>>
>>7595743
Bro no it’s BETTER than your PC! Come on buy it or you won’t be chad come on!
>>
File: daemonbite-nes-snes-2x2p.jpg (361 KB, 1200x1049)
361 KB
361 KB JPG
I missed out on getting one of these 2xNES 2xSNES Daemonbite adapters when they went on sale a couple of days ago. I'm hoping there'll be more stock soon.
>>
>>7595790
Nigger. You're on the retro forums. Bragging about spending money on retro shit is just as pathetic as showing up to a car show in a fucking mobility scooter.
>>
>>7595778
Ask Capcom

>>7595782
Yeah I know... still wish it will turn real.
>>
>>7595829
The only reason you're likely to get shit on /vr/ if you talk about spending money is because like 90% of the posters here are broke-ass NEETs and third worlders.
>>
>>7595821
I built my own Daemonbite adapter and two controllers at the same time overwhelmed it. Couldn't play fighting games or even co op shumps. Unless he updated the firmware I'm going to have to reprogram it and remove the one controller port and make another adapter for two players.
>>
>>7595854
This entire board is basically emulation general. It's fucking embarrassing.
>>
>>7595743
Isn't that what a single Anal-ogue costs?
>>
>>7595829
I emulate on my PC. So I ain't wasting money on plastic or an emulator box. Try again.

>>7595821
>buying adapters
>instead of usb controllers
The state of coomlectors.

>>7595816
>Bro no it's BETTER than your PC!
I hope this is a joke. LOL Nothing is better than PC.
>>
If I plug a USB thumb drive into the mister can I get away with the 8gb SD card the DE-10 Nano comes with?
>>
>>7595864
This.
It's so bad that I finding my self respecting the battle station threads.
>>
>>7595869
It's also the cost of a cpu you need to run emulation decently.
>>
>>7595870
You can't coomlect adapters, retard.
>>
>>7595870
>I hope this is a joke.
This morning, I used my real NES Zapper to play Hogan's Alley on my CRT through a MiSTer. No hassle, just plug and play.

The same setup, on my PC? Straight up impossible. The closest I could possibly get is using an Act-Labs gun on a 31khz CRT instead, running emulators through front ends.

PC is great, but it's not the be-all, end-all.
>>
>>7595885
False. Buying USB adapters for old controllers is collecting, retard. If you weren't a coomlector, you would just stick to using a standard PC USB controller.
>>
>>7595891
You've obviously never tried a PS Move controller and a gun attachment. Makes it easy to do light gun games.
>>
>>7595871
Why don't you just focus on using the 8gb card until you get a real micro SD card that's A2 capable.

>>7595878
Tell me you're not suggesting people build dedicated Emulation PCs in a MiSTer thread while complaining about spending money. The towlies could have flown a 757 through your head on the way to the twin towers.
>>
>>7595892
.... but then I'd be coomlecting USB controllers instead of using what I already have.
>>
>>7595892
>>>/v/
>>
real talk though I will buy one of these the day that it does

namco system 22/23, system 246 etc
konami 573/twinkle
cave cv1000
midway seattle
sega model 1-3, hikaru, naomi 2 etc

could cost 500+ I'd do it no question. so basically, I'm never buying one. Oh well
>>
>>7595987
Ok
>>
>>7595987
Sounds like a Plan.
>>
>>7595898
Nice joke, you moron. Of course I have, it's fucking AWFUL. One of my most unpleasant experiences with light gun games, but that may be in part down to Gal Gun being absolutely terrible, TC4 being a let down, and only Rising Storm being vaguely tolerable.

There are good LCD solutions for light guns. I haven't tried it yet, but Sinden looks pretty solid, and the arcade stuff with a full ring of IR tracking worked well. But PS move? Fuck off, crosshair shitter. Might as well tell me to use a fucking Wiimote, it's the same basic principle.

>>7595987
I mean, you're not going to see a lot of these on the MiSTer, most likely. but some future FPGA? Sure, why not.
>>
>>7595987
Looked on Terasic website, DE 10 nano kit is the only one with 110k logics elements under 150$.
In fact I was not able to find another board with more logic elements under 500$

At this point Terasic should take a clue with how DE 10 nano kit is selling so well, probably the only one getting so many back order from reseller.

They should make another board that focus on more LE and keep the cost low without all the crap that I saw on more costly boards.

The next level is OpenVino with 301k LE, it's a pcie fpga board, dunno what exactly it is the real purpose of it, but price start at 575$
>>
>>7595898
More like it's easier to shove it up your ass.
>>
>>7596103
I don't think they care about nerds using these boards to play retro games.
>>
>>7595871
8GB should be more than enough. You don't need to have fullsets of everything. Just put what you're going to play in there...

Until PS1 hits of course, then you'd need more space for sure.
>>
>>7596182
I've got a 128gb thumb drive for some reason. Was thinking about using that for my rom sets.
>>
>>7596186
It should work with a USB hub.
>>
>>7596186
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqRKaBt_Oq8
>>
>>7596186
Just format it to FAT32, create a games folder and make different folders inside that one for each platform. Have the platform folders be the same name as they are on the default folders on the SD card. Then put all your games in there.
>>
>>7596182
Ps1 isnt hitting bro
>>
File: 1617315319790.jpg (278 KB, 1080x1620)
278 KB
278 KB JPG
>>
>>7596413
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nuIFHDnEMQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGkxCpUXdcU
>>
>>7596452
Looks like ass wake me up when its fullspeed and 100% compatible. Also lol @ "no input lag!" and the nigga has it going on a shit tier lcd. Many such cases
>>
>>7596459
Not him but you can use VGA, you can even use both (HDMI/VGA) simultaneously.
>>
>>7596459
Ok retard
>>
>>7596459
no even though theres no sound and only a few games boot its still better than emulation
>>
I'll buy a car when it can fly, cook me a meal, and do my taxes. Looks like I'm never buying a car then lol.
>>
Obviously other fpgas are too expensive to switch to at the moment but has anyone done the rough math to determine what it would take to do N64 or the ps2 gen?
>>
>>7596424
I Amat one of these cases bad bros. Although the acrylic would probably be less of a hassle getting through airport security.
>>
File: resize.jpg (33 KB, 600x600)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>7595902
>>7596182
Should I?
>>
File: Not Impressed.jpg (89 KB, 474x266)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>7596424
Those are some ugly ass emulation boxes with an ugly ass logo slapped onto it. Not impressed.
>>
>>7596637
512 GB is currently the sweet spot with $/GB measurements so getting anything above that is somewhat more or less for bragging rights and niches only. I can't imagine any of the consoles the DE-10 can emulate having its entire library of games not fit in a 512 GB storage device. Once you get to the 5th generation of game consoles where CD drives became more common, then yeah, entire libraries might not fit anymore in 512 GB but it should be enough for curated selection of titles for CD based consoles.
>>
File: e6207aaaa795.png (589 KB, 780x1040)
589 KB
589 KB PNG
What are you playing tonight on your MiSTers, fellow MiSTer chads?
>>
File: ZSNES Premium.jpg (242 KB, 1080x948)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
>>7596759
The waiting game.
>>
File: 1427565707406 (2).png (245 KB, 638x516)
245 KB
245 KB PNG
>>7596759
The waiting game.
My case and heatsink haven't arrived from the UK and China respectively.

>>7596705
That makes sense.
I have a $200 gift card to a place that sells micro SDs though, and little reason otherwise to spend money at that particular store, so I'm kinda looking to splurge.
>>
>>7596767
Godspeed anon. Hope it arrives soon. The good thing is that it's very quick to setup.
>>
>>7596770
You can just get 2 512GB cards with that money since these cards retail for 99 bucks on Amazon. The most important thing is to make sure you don't get counterfeits.
>>
>>7596759
We're Chuds, not Chads.
>>
>>7596796
No, we're turbochads.
>>
>>7596770
Post a pic once you have it fully setup
>>
File: 1612075247164.png (696 KB, 694x650)
696 KB
696 KB PNG
>>7596805
Will do.

>>7596792
>>7596792
It's an Australian business with a warranty/return system, so no big deal even if they are counterfeit (if I'm dropping $400 on memory cards I'll definitely be memtesting them) I'll just take them back.

>Amazon
The 512GB models are 166 AUD on Amazon (1TB = 369 AUD).
The 1TB model at the store in question, Officeworks is only a little more expensive at 379 AUD though. It's only because I have the gift card that I can sorta justify this, as I'll otherwise never use the money there (512GB cards are significantly pricier @ 199 AUD).
>>
>>7596838
Hwy not just get a USB hard drive at that point?
>>
>>7596894
I dunno, I figure it's one less wire to add to the spaghetti. Although, how big a hard drive would you need to store uncompressed full libraries of every console the MiSTer can and will ever support? 2TB?
It may actually be a better idea to buy like 128-400GB microSD for now, a cheap 2TB external, and wait until 2TB Micro SDs become a thing.
>>
>>7596424
What's the Taobao link for these cases or where can I get them from?
>>
>>7595640

if i were to build this gimmick machine where would one buy said gimmicks? i know you can buy the intel board first then build with other trinkets, but where do you go to get it?
>>
>>7597371
The board? You can get it ta the official site, digikey, Amazon, or various resellers where it's bundled with various other parts. My Amazon purchase was about 10 bucks more than it was on their site. Don't pay more than 150 bucks for a nano.
>>
File: 1617334144958.jpg (152 KB, 790x666)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>7597163
China only
>>
File: wireButtons2IO.jpg (83 KB, 904x592)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
I cant seem to find the info on how to wire case buttons to the IO board. I want to put this thing into an itx case.
I just need to know what pin is what.
>>
>>7595640
>>7596424
>>7597403
If the MiSTer is not a product, why is the logo plastered on it?
>>
>>7595871
Yes you can do that, you can also just load ROMs and ISOs from a NAS
>>
>>7597541
I'll probably just leave the cartridge roms on the NAS and put isos on the USB stick. Found booting isos form a network drive to be painfully slow.
>>
>>7597486
cant you just trace the line from the buttons to the pins? Or just go to the mister forums and ask one of the people there who have already wired it
>>
>>7597562
why would it be slow? the speed from the NAS to the MiSTer is faster than an actual CD drive would be.
>>
>>7597567
Im going to ask in the forum if I don't find it some place else. I know its just the 3 buttons and the ground with the row under it for LEDs.
It should really be listed in the IO boards wiki page.
>>
>>7597525
Dolphin has a logo, MAME has a logo, everything has a logo.
>>
>>7597594
Neither Dolphin or MAME are selling parts/devices though.
>>
File: 1617338568342.jpg (783 KB, 1005x1452)
783 KB
783 KB JPG
>>7597601
You can use the logo if you want, It's a community project after all.
>>
>>7595640
Not MiSTer related, but FPGA related
When the fuck are we getting the NT mini cores on the Super NT? Analogue isn't going to sell the Super NT and Mega SG forever, or so I suspect.
>>
File: MISTER FPGA Logo.png (17 KB, 694x255)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>7597525
>>
File: mister.jpg (313 KB, 790x444)
313 KB
313 KB JPG
>>
>>7597687
So the Japanese know about MiSTer?
I know the DE10 is too expensive, but I wonder if the next generation of retro microconsoles would use FPGA tech.

... he says before realising those things are sold to idiots with false nostalgia that wouldn't know the difference between games running on an FPGA and games running on a Raspberry Pi.
>>
>>7597779
>So the Japanese know about MiSTer?
one of the mister arcade devs is Japanese. Unfortunately he's had health issues and slowed down but hopefully he gets back into things at some point, having more SEGA arcade cores would be nice.
>>
>>7597582
Just look at the board schematic, dude.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MiSTer-devel/Hardware_MiSTer/master/releases/iobrd_6.1.pdf

As you can see, P3 is the external button connector, and it goes user, osd, reset, n/a, and ground, from top to bottom.
>>
>>7597639
Why would they cannabalise their own market?

They've got a great scam going, sell some cores for 500 bucks, sell some more for another few hundred each with different controller ports on them. I'd say I feel bad for people who bought into their "ecosystem", but then you'd have to be pretty fucking retarded to buy an Analogue product to begin with. The pocket is the only thing they've come up with that's vaguely appealing, but I still wouldn't buy one because handheld gaming fucking sucks ass. I'd much rather play portable games on a nice big CRT.
>>
>>7597954
Thanks.
> P3 is the external button connector, and it goes user, osd, reset, n/a, and ground, from top to bottom.
that really should be listed on the wiki though
>>
>>7597975
Building your own case with external buttons is already involved enough to require a soldering iron or at least a crimper, anyone capable of that should really be able to read a board layout. You've got to remember that the IO board is technically just an add-on, and there are a few different styles.
>>
>>7597982
Both the digital and analog IO boards have the P3 connector. All im saying is that it should be documented better on the IO boards wiki.
>>
>>7597991
There's a lot of stuff that's even more important that isn't documented on that wiki, honestly the whole thing is pretty shoddily put together and you have to google for a while to figure anything out.

For example, you can easily find a lot of posts talking about how pre 6.0 IO boards need a mod to support Mega Drive over SNAC. But finding guides on how to do that mod? Now that's a pain in the fucking ass, even though it's literally just a jumper and a resistor. Any warnings about how Chinese 6.0 IO boards often ship without the user port headers attached? Nope, again you've got to google around to figure out why your board straight up doesn't work.

It'd be nice to have a wiki that explained every menu option and configuration file in detail, but nobody really cares about making the user experience pleasant. Decentralised projects tend to wind up like this, too many cooks, nobody to write the menu. If the PS1 core ever drops expect some autists to move in and revamp the whole thing.
>>
>>7598015
Yeah. Their wiki doesn't even bring up the USB question I had earlier. The gametech emulation wiki ha snore info in places.
>>
>>7598607
>>7598015
Whats stopping you faggots from editing the wiki and adding that information?
>>
>>7598695
It's a github wiki so it's a pain in the ass.
>>
>>7595864
what do you expect when all the hardware is 30-40 years old?
>>
File: 374.gif (329 KB, 256x256)
329 KB
329 KB GIF
Any recommended MiSTer accessories?
Specific controllers that work across a number of platforms or good arcade sticks, are any of the expansions worth buying, cases, etc.?
>>
20 minutes
>>
>>7598735
>>Specific controllers that work across a number of platforms or good arcade sticks,
I've shilled the PDP versus pad a few times, 6 button controller, D-stick ala Neo Geo CD except not 80 bucks, closer to 10. The thumbstick coating does wear off eventually, but I don't mind it.

I've tried a few other USB controllers, and they're generally all trash. As for arcade sticks, just buy whatever's cheap and swap in some decent hardware, Seimitsu or Sanwa depending on your genre of choice.

IO boards are nice for quick resets with the user button, a USB board is nice for multiplayer, hard drives, wifi, and connecting up a keyboard and mouse for computer cores. RAM is a must-have, although I'm still just using 32mb without any issues because I don't care for the few Neo Geo games that need 128mb. SNAC is nice if you already have a lot of controllers and want to interface them natively, although you can't do fun stuff like play different systems with different controllers, and you need another controller for the MiSTer menu and stuff.

Now, cases? Cases fucking suck. They're massively overpriced, wait another few months for those fancy metal taobao ones to start popping up on aliexpress.
>>
>>7598792
Thanks, that's pretty comprehensive.
I'm always wary of buying non-OEM controllers but at $10 a PDP pad is worth trying at least until my raphnet adapters arrive. Shame arcade sticks are so expensive though, I grew up in a place without arcades so I can't justify dropping the cash for a good one (or an okay one to mod) sight unseen; although I probably should anyway for authenticity's sake with the Neo Geo core (never even played Metal Slug).

That aside, I've got an IO board and a USB hub coming, 128 MB of RAM, plus a WiFi dongle. What I don't have is a spare keyboard and mouse, so thank you for reminding me of that.
Cheers.
>>
>>7598830
>Shame arcade sticks are so expensive though, I grew up in a place without arcades so I can't justify dropping the cash for a good one
There's really no such thing as a "good one". Arcade sticks are a straight scam, like the inner USB board might have a couple of extra ms of latency on some controllers, but they're all trivial to mod.

My WWE brawl stick, made at the height of the fightan boom back in '10 or so, cost me 10 bucks. For 10 bucks, I got a solid metal plate with button holes, with a decent plastic shell, and a USB board I can use on a few different consoles. Then I just spent 30 bucks on some decent arcade quality hardware and swapped out the junk. If I built a case myself, it would've been more bulky and less stable, while also costing more in raw materials like wood.

You can spend 200 bucks on an arcade stick, but chances are pretty good that it'll still have the same shitty chinesium stick and buttons that my brawl stick had. You might get a slightly nicer case design, I guess.
>>
>>7597964
>ask about jailbreaking for more free games
>loser goes from defending a company, to talking shit about them, to bragging about crts
Don't reply to me.
>>
>>7599031
>jailbreaking
Is there anything more embarrassing than using this word? You know it instantly dates you as the kind of room temperature IQ moron who got his first "computer" when mommy bought you a fucking iphone for Christmas? Or maybe a PS3, which is just as bad.

You do understand that no Analogue product has been "jailbroken", right? A "jailbreak" is inherently unintended, Analogue just lets good little goys run some cores on some devices and roms off SD or whatever because they want retards like you to buy in. An actual "jailbreak" would be third party, nobody has bothered hacking Analogue's shitware though.

I'd like to ask you to stop posting. Stop posting here, stop posting on this board, just stop posting on the internet. You're far too stupid for it, go back to scrolling through twitter/youtube on your fucking phone or whatever it is you kids do these days.
>>
Solutions for wiring a Power Button on a mini ITX case that has a momentary switch? I ordered a momentary to latching relay circuit and I'm hoping It won't explode.
>>
>>7598792
I can only buy the PDP versus pad for the Xbox 360, is that one as good as the PS3 one? Gave up getting a Neo Geo CD pad.
>>
>>7599095
buy an IO board and wire the buttons to the P3 connector on that board. See this post for more info. >>7597954
>>
>>7599086
LOOOL Damn nigga, chill!
>>
>>7599113
It's the same shit with a different color scheme. I'd consider it slightly better, easier to use on Windows given all the buttons are properly labelled.

>>7599128
That's not what he's asking, the MiSTer has no built in power controls, just a button for reset. You've got to rig something up yourself to your power input.

Personally, I just have mine going to a splitter to power my USB board too, and I pull the power cable out of the splitter to turn it off.
>>
Jotego’s game this week is Shinobi whilst he works on a Qsound fix for CPS2
>>
>>7599167
Yeah, this. I've seen people do it with lacthing switches which is easy enough with some simple soldering, but my case came with a momentary one so I need some kind of flip flop circuit.
>>
https://github.com/mrchrisster/mister-arcade-attract
>>
https://youtu.be/QqHk9uTvtRc
>>
>>7600525
Lmao why the feet tho
>>
>>7599086
You mad.
Didn't even read your whole reply.
No one cares.
>>
>>7600223
in b4 >more proof that misterfags dont actually want to play the games
looks neat although i wonder how many mame roms have really long startup times and dont actually get to attract mode before the 2mins is up
>>
>>7601382
I don't any would take that long, but it still would cut into things. There's also an option that will randomly spin up a new game every 10 minutes. Would be really neat to see that for consoles as a way to sample a ton of random games.
>>
>>7601382
the feeling lucky script is a good idea
>>
>MiSTer shills still trying to sell their shitty emubox on 4chan
>reports and closes thread
>>
>>7601454
moron
>>
>>7601454
> retroarch fag still hasn't updated his copy of java
Pathetic.
>>
File: ExBeY46WQAUu_7c.jpg (1.48 MB, 1600x1418)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB JPG
CPS2 core full release when?
>>
>>7599086
Cringe
>>
>>7601454
(You)
>>
>>7601454
That's a good idea. Looks like you triggered the shills with your comment.
>>
>>7601454
Based.
>>
>>7600223
That's a nice idea if you want to showcase games performance on MISTer without the hassle of using the menu.
I can already see, people that will use this to upload video on youtube.
>>
For nostalgia's sake, should I get one of these for use with the PC cores?
https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/NEW_M
>>
>>7602352
Seems like a gimmick. I don't know why they made it black either, looks really ugly.

Might as well get an old ball mouse too, really finish off the experience.
>>
>>7602362
The make white ones too, and ones with trackballs even. I just thought the black looked nice, but I famously have shit taste.
>Might as well get an old ball mouse too, really finish off the experience.
That was kind of my idea, but boiling a new egg every day for a fresh ball was such a pain in the ass. I'd be happy with a plain-looking laser for convenience's sake.
>>
>>7595640
Might as well emulate at that point

Cringe thread
>>
File: Jotego CPS1.png (84 KB, 734x513)
84 KB
84 KB PNG
>>7602385
The only thing cringe here is your persistent whining.
>>
>>7601568
next week
>>
>>7602702
Seriously?
Rad. Thanks.
>>
File: PuzzleBobble2XTitle.png (17 KB, 320x232)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
Taito F3 when. I want my Puzzle Bobble.
>>
>>7602385
(You)
>>
File: 20210403_105819.png (213 KB, 302x403)
213 KB
213 KB PNG
Looks like I joined the gang early...
>>
>>7603160
> no USB hub yet
Help, that was anticlimactic. I could ssh into it and atleast get things going I suppose
>>
>>7603160
>genki
That's some hot cringe right there, buddy.
>>
Main:
- Make sure wallpaper is restored after linux FB mode.
- File I/O tuned for higher performance.
- Save states: fixes and support for save of all 4 slots (relevant cores will be updated soon).
- Export HOME variable for scripts.
On the Spectrum:
- Port FE issue2/3 option.
- Re-add DivMMC/ESXDOS (read the update Readme!)
>>
>>7602385
Pretty much. People are getting ripped off to emulate old games due to falling for the FPGA gimmick. PC Master Race does not need it because we know it's a worthless piece of shit.
>>
>>7603409
oh no no no no no >>7602605
>>
>>7603160
Your priority should be the 128 mb SD ram, hope you have it on order.
The cooling can wait, it's not going to suddenly catch fire, at the beginning of this project many people were using MISTer without a cooling solution and they had no issue, of course it is still recommended for the long term durability, but still you are safe without it for the time being.

Also a warning regarding the micro usb port of the board, it's really fragile and you should be careful. If you plug a usb hub to it, don't start to unplug and replug it later, leave it, you must not fidget with it.
I've seen many complaints regarding it so you are warned.
>>
File: Box Rampage.jpg (497 KB, 2301x1405)
497 KB
497 KB JPG
>>7603493
Should be coming soon. The de nano came 3 days early. Just leaving it on attract mode to try it out, can't plug anything in. It's very interesting looking without the extra ram.
>>
>>7603427
Enjoy overpaying for 16 bit emulation ya dumb FPhaGgAt.
>>
Beta for nes savestates is up.
>>
>>7603689
>savestates
Beginning of the end.
>>
>>7595640

so i bought into the hype and gonna start building one. bought pick related and the digital io thingy will buy the rest next week. is it pretentious to play this while connected to a Elgato hd60 capture card on my pc? lol
>>
>>7603696
I'd consider using them for auotsave and autoload on game start and quit. Sometimes it's just nice to pick up immediately where you were.
>>
So how does mister emulation compare to emu driver and retroarch? Is it even worth looking into if I already have a good emu driver setup?
>>
File: aa.jpg (116 KB, 687x714)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>7603704

pic related*
>>
>>7603715
My PC is more powerful than that little thing. This is just as cringey as the console minis.
>>
>>7603723
Your pc can't reroute logic gates to effectively become a different architecture
>>
File: 1614643707533.png (346 KB, 600x800)
346 KB
346 KB PNG
>>7603723

So is mine but it wont be le authentic
>>
>>7603708
It's got a lower input latency and lower power draw, but if you like your setup, probably not. Playstation and saturn support could be a game changer though.
>>
>>7603708
You'll get a frame or two of improvement in terms of input latency, and slightly superior emulation in some respects. And native light gun support, but most people don't care much about that.

Personally, I wouldn't see much of a point, you'd be giving up a lot of other systems.

I can't be bothered with shit like emu driver, I like being able to press a button and have everything boot up instantly. PC has way too much configuration and tinkering, plus I have to keep some old piece of shit rig around just for it.
>>
>>7603723
The only thing cringe here is your persistent whining.
>>
Imagine buying a TV when you can watch a movie on your phone. Dedicated technology is so cringe.
>>
What's the future of analogue? Do you think the goat kevtris is leaving analogue corporations?
>>
>>7603764
This. I emulate and use a mister. I think this guy thinks everyone using a mister is a stupid coomlection boomer.
>>
Can it play old sierra games from dos or N64 or oregon trail for old mac?
>>
>>7603764
I just can't see this guy having 2 emulation machines hooked up to the same screen. But then I'm too fucking lazy to buy a SCART switch, so what do I know?

>>7603773
Didn't they just tease some new NES product? They're around for the long term, too many retards who just want to pay for a Nintendo Mini tier box.
>>
>>7603739
>>7603749
Is the input latency actually measurably lower by a frame or two vs retroarch with run-ahead? I thought retroarch was already less than a frame on some consoles with run-ahead configured. This is really the. Only thing I'd care about unless it happens to do 480i output with a toggleable flicker filter.
>>
>>7603773
The analog pocket delay pissed a lot of people off. We don't even know how open it's going ot be.
>>
>>7603787
Probably with run ahead is that it isn't a given for all cores and has more overhead. Runahead can actually be more responsive, but can also be glitchier if you set it too high. With fpga, there's none of that. It's as fast as a real system by default.
>>
>>7603787
There was some meme video posted on reddit a few days ago of MiSTer having lower input latency, but who knows how legitimate it is. I like to think fast USB polling and less bloatware from the OS translate into some latency improvements, but if there are any they're going to be pretty much unnoticeable.
>>
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 300x168)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
Serious question guys if I built this and connected it to my PC using pic related it will basically allow me to play through the mister as an application in windows 10, but is that stupid? would I be able to take advantage of the le ACCURACY HAHAHAHA while still playing in windows because I dont want to leave windows gui.
>>
>>7603792
>open
Have any of their products been remotely open? I'm fully expecting the additional cores to be locked behind buying the adapters, even after they release the patch so you can boot roms off an SD card. Don't have to adapter for GG? Sorry buddy, you can't play GG roms either!

>>7603810
It's probably one of the stupidest ideas I've seen.
>>
What's the point os this hardware? Can you REALLY tell the difference? Betcha a blind test will out this for poser shit it is. This is worse than audiophiles because you experience some difference going from a shit sound system to a more expensive one, but this one takes the care because you really cant tell for shit. Its for hipsters and wannabes.
>>
>>7603803
Input isn't the only lag factor, emulation adds a level of lag that's unavoidable without run ahead. When you have to pass everything through your cpu first it won't be as fast as everything running in parallel. Input lag on a mister using USB is basically as good as on PC, maybe slightly better due to not dealing with windows.

>>7603816
There's a second fpga in the pocket that's supposed to be available to developers but we still have no idea what that really means.
>>
>>7603730
Your meme machine can't get me to waste $450.

>>7603732
If I wanted authenticity, I'd buy the actual hardware.

>>7603751
You're the only one whining here because whenever you see anything remotely negative being said about the MiSTer, your tears start to show.
>>
>>7603816
>It's probably one of the stupidest ideas I've seen.

That's rich.. Its less stupid than the mister itself.
>>
>>7603810
You can already get accurate emulation on PC. You're just getting input lag again for no real benefit.
>>
>>7603818
I can plug in my Justifier and play Lethal Enforcers.
>>
>>7603810

Buy one of those HDMI/VGA switches, they got one with remotes and you can go back and forth, that's what I do anyways.
>>
>>7603803
Yeah it's a shame that it's not universally supported by I mostly play nes and genesis and it works on those well enough. Tweaking the frame amount for different games doesn't bother me, I really don't mind a small amount of tedium. My emu driver system is running a 4th gen i5 so CPU power is there for it as well.

Thanks for your input. I might look into it some more but it doesn't really sound like something that's going to replace my emulation pc at the moment.
>>
>>7603818
I have some neo geo games that I want to test if I can tell the difference.

>>7603825
You add nothing to the conversation. Nobody is crying over the retard that keeps shitting himself. You're just annoying.
>>
>>7603838
Meant to reply to
>>7603801
But I appreciate your input as well 3803 anon
>>
>>7603818
You can tell the difference, because this fpga has analog output, No windows running in the background, The latency in general is very low.
>>
>>7603840
>S-s-s-s-stop making negative posts about my m-m-m-muh-muh-MiSTer
Your tears are delicious.
>>
>>7603825
>$450
A DE10 is 130 bucks, buddy. Even if you go full CONSOOMER and buy all the add-on shit, you're not going to hit 300 bucks.

Only way you're spending that much money is if you're buying FULLY LOADING ROM STATION RASPBERRY PI shit off ebay.
>>
>>7603856
Yeah. As long you don't buy the mister addon bundle that comes with a de 10 nano, you can get the nano and your parts for nearly 100 bucks cheaper.
>>
Reminder that you do not need to reply to people when theyre detracting from the thread and you shouldn't either.
>>
File: Untitled.png (64 KB, 260x363)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
>>7603856
>you're not going to hit 300 bucks
Pic related says otherwise, and that's without the case.
>>
>>7603882

What ive noticed is that there are copies? And then there are the "official" ones? I dont know but I see a trend where some cost 50 for the io board for example and then some chinese copy? is selling it for 25 dollars.
>>
>>7603882
The bundle has like a 60 dollar markup because of the nano. You can get all those pieces for less that 300 and use the extra cash for a case.
>>
>>7603825
You here again huh. Nice to see you friend
>>
>>7603882
Do you also buy pre-builts or something? Those board have a 60 dollar value, that's a 200 dollar setup if you can slot a couple of pin headers together by yourself.

>>7603886
The plans for all the add-ons are open source, the chinks can make them just as well as some retard buying PCBs from them and doing the soldering themselves to double the price. None of this hardware is complex or requires perfect soldering technique.
>>
>>7603893

I'm looking for a case any suggestions?

>>7603715
$50+ shipped

Seems expensive.
>>
>>7603904
You can get a nice acrylic case for 30 bucks on etsy. Just pick any of the popular ones.
>>
>>7603904
yeah paying upwards of $50 for plastic shit just isn't worth it. Just get a mini ITX case and install it inside.
>>
>>7603904
>>I'm looking for a case any suggestions?
Buy a bucket, or other small plastic box that'll cover the MiSTer. Cut some holes for any cords you have coming out of it. And you're done! Just take it off when you want to use it, then put it back on to protect the boards from dust.

The currently available cases are all way too expensive, and pretty ugly.
>>
>>7603923
Ah, the bucket guy. I love you dude.
>>
Everything about it is expensive. You can build something else that is even smaller and faster for $50 with something like a jetson nano. I don't want to say its elitist but sorry I just dont buy the "it feels more like the real thing" line. Don't get me wrong it looks fucking cool and probably the standard now but its still snakeoil.
>>
>>7604040
In fact terasic is selling this thing at a loss, the de 10 nano should cost even more, fpga are very expensive.
>>
>>7604062
So we're stealing?
>>
>>7604040
It'll be the future of retro set top boxes, but it's still very hobby priced. It's not a requirement to play retro games just like crts, it still have value.
>>
>>7604079
Basically. These were supposed to be for universities and shit.
>>
>fpga seems interesting especially if their no input lag claims are valid , let’s check it out
$330 fully decked out
>pi4 that’s good enough
$60

What’s the benefit of mister over pi4 that justifies the increase in price?
>>
>>7604079
This fpga is for universities, studying and shet.
>>
>>7604040
I'm gonna be honest here. The thing the MiSTer does the best for me at lest is just eliminating the schizo angle from the equation altogether. With something like Retroarch I need to constantly tweak everything and check settings to see if everything's truly running as close to real hardware as possible. There's too many options and I, being the autist that I am, just spend too much time on settings.

With MiSTer I have peace of mind knowing everything's running as it should. No OS on the background to fuck things up, no CPU scheduler shit, just plug and play. It's minimalistic and I get the least latency possible outside of real hardware - only 1 - 2ms more.

Of course but then you might say "why do'nt you just get real hardware?" To which I'll answer that I do, but only PS1, Genesis, SNES and N64. It'd cost way too much fucking money to get a good modded NES setup, PC-Engine and NeoGeo + all the flashcarts. And the MiSTer at the end of the day has better video output than my Genesis and SNES even with RGB.
>>
>>7604095
Arcade cores run better on mister than pi.
>>
We should built a robot bros
https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/self-balancing-robot-based-on-the-terasic-de10-nano-kit.html
>>
File: 20210325_133015.png (272 KB, 500x537)
272 KB
272 KB PNG
>>7604095
If you're going to emulate just get an mini x86 box. Raspberry pis are dumb for emulation.
>>
>>7604104
I save real machines for systems where emulation sucks or there aren't mister cores. At the moment its just a modded 3ds and a gba everdrive. I did have a modded wii, but it went bad years ago.
>>
File: 1617480919490.png (153 KB, 578x440)
153 KB
153 KB PNG
Stoplightsbros we just can't stop winning, with mister enterprises.. we evolving soon.
>>
>>7604141
Raspberry Pis have sim city. We have real city.
>>
I have a tin box that's basically the right shape, what are good ways to trim holes into tin?
>>
>>7604175
Tin is very easy to cut with even basic tools. I'd draw an outline of where you want the cuts, then drill out a corner and cut it with some tin snips or a hacksaw.
>>
File: 1614180636246.jpg (653 KB, 1652x2002)
653 KB
653 KB JPG
>>7604175
bro your dremel??
>>
>>7604175
Would there be any issues of static with that?
>>
>>7604215
I hope your PC case isn't made of metal, bro. Think of all the electronical intefference!
>>
>>7604215
Just don't make the board actually touch the case. Use standoffs.
>>
>>7604235
Pretty sure the outsides of all the boards are properly grounded anyway. I guess if you had a real flimsy tinfoil case you could contact the RAM pins, but unless you're actively trying to punch the sides in I can't see that happening.
>>
Regarding accuracy, is there a way to prove which emulator/core is more cycle accurate ?

I only know the case of GBA, there is a rom dumped from a real cartridge Nintendo used to see if you had a real hardware and not a clone. The "AGS Aging Cartridge ", only the MISTer GBA core and one software emulation ( nanoboyadvance) was able to pass it successfully. Tell you much how hard it is to actually pinpoint perfect accuracy.

Something like this exist for the other core/emulator ? A battery of tests that will prove you have basically the exact same behavior of a real hardware ?
>>
>>7604265
The problem with those tests is that it's way easier to just fake the test than it is to get it running properly. Lots of emulators have a laughable passrate for how inaccurate they are, and if anyone ever got a look under the hood they'd be disgusted. I seem to remember a PS1 test rom that performed suspiciously well on fucking ePSXe of all things, back when the piece of shit couldn't even handle absolute basics like Net Yaroze.
>>
>>7604265

I have not found an in depth video comparing the mister to the real thing vs some emulator you have running on the pc, there are some videos but its not really in depth. the most I get out of the comparison videos with mister vs the real thing is that it looks better with mister, strange since its all about looking accurate or whatever teh fuck they are claiming,
"accuracy" but thats not clear enough.
>>
Jotego the goat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EblLG8geeQU
>>
>>7604291
RIP emulatards and MAMEfags
>>
>>7604265
There are various test suites. But one of the best tried and true way is find a game that has an attract mode or pre recorded gameplay and see if it syncs up with the real thing.
>>
>>7604289
Not sure for GBA, but for GB and GBC the best accuracy test I know of is SNAC with link cable. MiSTer interfaces with a real GameBoy hardware perfectly. Wonder if the same could be done for GBA.
>>
>>7604316
I want to see 4 MiSTers connected to a gamecube playing four swords adventure.
>>
>>7604281
Well seems it's harder to cheat with the GBA test made by Nintendo since only one software emulation passed it ? Though you are right regarding dev cheating to pass those tests, I was looking to the PS1 case and I found this page
https://emulation.miraheze.org/wiki/PS1_Tests
and like you said, espxe is just toying with the numbers.

>>7604289
Wish there was a video like that compare at least the popular cores with real hardware.

>>760421
So this looks like the best way to prove how close emulator/cores match the speed of real hardware ? Hope MLIG will do something like this.
>>
At the speed this dev is going we'll have FPGA savestates on the cores that need them most at some point this year
>>
>>7604689
Fantastic. NES needed it the most.
>>
>>7604689

Lmao so wait you cant even save a game?
>>
>>7604748
>Doesn't even know what a savestate is
>>
>>7604846
Java itself is an emulator, please understand.
>>
>>7604748

If saving is your thing stay away from Mister
>>
>>7604748
Yes, you can save games that are meant to be saved, i.e. ones that originally had an in-built save function.
>>
Which cores have rewind features?
>>
>>7604918
GBA is the only one I believe.
>>
>>7604948
Nope.. GB AND GBC can also do rewind and FF now
>>
>>7604948
Lynx can do it too
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (39 KB, 480x360)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>7605062
Actually pretty useful for Pokémon and grindy rpgs.
>>
>>7603715
>acid green
I ordered the Neptune Blue one of these.
I hope it's fairly robust because I actually wanted a metal case and only ordered this as a fallback because they're out of stock.
>>
>>7605294

That was my second choice but ended up getting looking glass, there is 1 left for the digital version.
>>
>>7603715
Should have got the dark smoke color.
>>
>>7605448
Is the blue one acceptable if your MiSTer daughter boards are all blue?
>>
Is anyone working on the classic Konami arcade games right now? Such as TMNT, X Men, Sunset Riders?
>>
>>7605542
Yes, someone is working on aliens which is a Konami board .. and furrtek or another guy is decapping various Konami chips I believe. But it's still way off Konami used a ridiculous amount of custom chips.
>>
Is there a comprehensive list of WIP/unofficial arcade cores? I noticed the one on the Mister's official page is missing several.
>>
File: TEENSY.jpg (91 KB, 1000x769)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>7598735
>arcade stick
Get one of these.
>>
>>7598735
>>
>>7606889
This honestly looks pretty good, how is it? Seems a bit weird to hold.
>>
>>7606948
It's pretty fun; good movement on the stick, tactile button clicks, but genuinely teeny. Also it's 20 bucks, you can't really go wrong.

>>7606939
I have a Hori RAP kai, but I'm looking for a sidegrade. Is the F500 worth the upgrade over the F300?
>>
>>7606889
Is this a joke?!
>>
>>7606996
I learned about its existence from https://youtu.be/r2OYq5CWioQ
Ordered one out of curiosity, but no really it's good (relatively, considering the size/price).
>>
>>7607004
Sorry but I can't play with a baby stick like that. I will accidentally fold it in half with my big muscular Slav hands.
>>
>>7595640
I am planning on getting one, but I will not use it as is, I will make significant changes.
1. I find usb offensive, so I am going to modify every core I use to support input from a directly wired
controller, specifically a sega saturn pad
2. I will also add support for ps/2 keyboards because fuck usb
3. I do not want to use external SDRAM so I am going to look into redesigning things to work with the inbuilt DDR3
>>
>>7605448

ur right, changed order to dark grey. they were cool about it.
>>
>>7607086
>>7605448
>>7605452

>>7607086
>>7605448
>>7605452

Shadow Grey > Neptune Blue > Acid Green > Looking Glass > Helios Yellow > Clear
>>
Main:
- Hotfix: writes with new flags.
ZX Spectrum:
- Fix tape unable to load in Issue 2.
- Option to mute tape sound.
QL:
- Switched IPC code to Hermes binary for better keyboard experience (Marcel Kilgus)
- Updated framework.
ZXNext:
- sd_card: Fix STOP_TRANSMISSION command (hangs in Poggie demo).
- sd_card: 8-wire I/O mode for VHD to decrease waiting cycles.
>>
File: a123.png (2.21 MB, 1626x915)
2.21 MB
2.21 MB PNG
I admit it looks sexy.
>>
>>7595640
I was checking misteraddons earlier today and this particular fully built with metal case is sold out. Any other places where to get it?

Another question, how do the FPGA implementations of these compare to something like the Analogue products?
>>
>>7607054
>I find usb offensive
why? It's polling at 1000 khz
>>
>>7607404
They exceed anlaogues offerings. Unless you just have to use a cartridge, I wouldn't bother.
>>
>>7606889
its cute, it'd probably be playable with an actual thumbstick
>>7605618
Intellivision, Atari 7800 are the only ones I know of that aren't official yet.
>>
>>7607373

That's what most people are buying it for, I dont believe they actually care about accuracy. As long as there are no N64, PS1 cores it'll never be worth a shit.
>>
File: pdpvsneogeo.jpg (1.55 MB, 3072x2304)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB JPG
>>7607418
>>its cute, it'd probably be playable with an actual thumbstick
Just get a PDP pad.

I wish more stuff came with microswitch thumbsticks. Seems like a real untapped market, but I guess most people either want a D-pad or analog.
>>
>>7599086
Why are you so mad about Analogue and their products?
>>
>>7607373
It's less sexy when you start to plug controller, usb drive, usb dongle, mini toslink and other accessories.

Still I admit the small form factor and the stack of tech boards give the whole thing a really unique aspect.
I think I'm going to buy an acrylic case too, in first place I like the raw look of it plus it's less expensive than those aluminum cases.

mini ITX cases to hide everything is not a bad idea, but right now there isn't many options available and you need to tinker a bit with it.
>>
>>7607408
I find asynchronous polling offensive regardless of how fast. The controller state should be read on demand when the game code asks for it.
>>
>>7607451
I guess it all started when I first heard about the NT. It was just one of the most disgusting concepts I had ever heard of, destroying perfectly functioning consoles for the sake of fucking HD output that any Raspberry Pi could manage.

Now, that was bad enough, but then they moved into FPGA cancer, creating locked down garbage systems that could only support a single library so they could effectively 10x their profits. There's no real reason why any of those systems couldn't support the libraries of any of the other systems they sell, other than pure greed.

When you contrast that with something like MiSTer, which is open source and all the cores are developed for free, their products go from being disgusting to being outright scams. They're not quite the same thing as selling full romsets on SD cards on eBay to braindead boomers, but it's really very close. They're producing nothing of any value, and developing a fanbase of fanatic retards off of it.
>>
>>7607480
Get a SNAC adapter then. Straight to the pins, no extra lag.
>>7607485
Kevtris does good work and the pocket seemed neat, but the amount of money those things cost to be locked down into one system is insane.
>>
>>7607493
I'm sure he's a fine coder, I just disagree with the concept fundamentally. It's like the difference between guys who dump roms for everyone, and guys who dump roms so they can hoard them under the guise of being "preservationists".

If he was at least sharing his findings publicly instead of hiding them away in closed source hardware, people wouldn't have to be reverse engineering everything twice.
>>
>>7607485
You're not getting the point of Analogue products. They make truly plug and play, 100% accurate products aimed at a niche market that doesn't necessarily know how, have the time or intention of spending inordinate amounts of time tinkering like you would with a Mister.

Want a new SNES/NES/Genesis that will play your old cartridges/controllers and work with your modern tv? Here's something you can just connect and it will work perfectly without any further interactions, just like the real thing.

I still want a Non Mini-NT cheap version of the NES console.
>>
>>7607485
>They're producing nothing of any value, and developing a fanbase of fanatic retards off of it.
Just admit you can't afford them or couldn't get a hold of them before they went out of stock. These opinions are objectively wrong and you know it. You're like these retards that go nuclear once they see a link from Reddit or whatever.
>>
>>7607501
>If he was at least sharing his findings publicly instead of hiding them away in closed source hardware, people wouldn't have to be reverse engineering everything twice.
Dude, he's working for a company that's selling a product based on his research. Do you really expect a for profit company to give away their R&D for free to a bunch of autists on the internet?
>>
>>7607509
No, that's the marketing pitch. While I can see a desire for a something that "just werks", the reality is that it's much, much harder to set up a soundblaster card or fucking joystick drivers than it is to set up a MiSTer. The amount of tinkering involved is "read how to set up an ini file" and "put your roms on an SD card" tier.

Honestly, someone who can't do that will be lost playing NES games. Pretty sure these products don't magically invent tutorial overlays.

>>7607519
I wouldn't buy these products even if they were a tenth of the price. A shelf full of plastic boxes isn't really appealing, having to hook up all of those systems is a lot more hassle than just swapping out the controller adapter on a single box. My ideal solution would be an FPGA that supports every system, not a million FPGAs that each support one system.

>>7607528
I don't expect it, I just think it's funny that the wiki ad they've got ends with "Analogue is critically acclaimed for their focus on video game preservation". What a joke.
>>
>>7607451
>Analogue

Not him but initially I thought he was just generalizing when mentioning the word "analogue" but no I googled it and its an actual hardware maker and I can kind of understand where he is coming from, its for the special blend of elitist artsy fartsy faggot that exists and here I thought the mister fags were the bad guys my god lol.
>>
>>7607534
>I don't expect it, I just think it's funny that the wiki ad they've got ends with "Analogue is critically acclaimed for their focus on video game preservation". What a joke.
Whether you like it or not, Analogue has contributed to video game preservation in a significant way, and their own products will in fact become collectible in the years to come.
>>
>>7607560
Yeah, a footnote in history of "those guys who tried to jew the fuck out of people and make them pay over and over again for the same product in a slightly different box".
>>
>>7607558
I truly don't understand why you guys are so mad about Analogue. They're not the only game in town, their products do not interfere in any way with the development of open source alternatives, and if anything have contributed to the enthusiasm to come up with new projects.
>>
>paying for an emulation box
Just emulate or buy a flash cart which is cheaper too. Fuck this half assed shit
>>
>>7607572
I bet you seethe at the sight of an Apple product too.
>>
>>7607579
Flachcards also use fpga. We just need to ban fpgas so games can fucking die already.
>>
>>7607575

It's not like I specifically dislike them but I know the angle they use to sell shit. Its the same reason why I despise places and products like adafruit, teenage engineering, apple and the rest of them because its low hanging fruit for the worst type of people.
>>
>>7607580
I mean, you'd have to be pretty fucking stupid to spend all that money on closed down garbage with some flashy baubles and airflow design handled by "creative designers" rather than engineers. But hey, I'm sure Apple knows better, why would you need your heatsinks connected to anything?

Personally I prefer devices that aren't designed to fail within 2 years.
>>
I don't even mind the business aspect of making fpga devices, the problem is the internals are identical. Just flashed with different firmwares to handle different games. Not so bad at maybe 50 bucks, but 200 bucks a pop or more? That's creeping into real hardware territory.
>>
>>7607608

Its the mainboard thats expensive, everything else is gimmicky stuff and priced okay. Id compare it to rc hobby but not as expensive but here you just buy up to a certain amount but other hobbies that shit just continues. A small investment with the chance of it mooning because of bandwagon faggots that come and try to get in on it before its completely sold out.
>>
>>7607619
I think they should have sold a generic system and offer adapters for the various systems.
>>
I own real hardware and Analogue products. How does that make you autists feel?
>>
File: 1616875055502.png (1001 KB, 1200x1166)
1001 KB
1001 KB PNG
>>7607631
Indifferent.
>>
Speaking of analogue what's the point of it? Even MisterFPGA owners have more of a valid excuse for their purchase since its replicates the hardware supposedly very accurately and across multiple hardwares but with analogue its exclusive to whatever console you are trying to mimic. I also see on their website that it uses fpga as well? That's even more questionable.
>>
>>7607663
Collectors of cartridges. No other reason. You can get SNAC adapters for mister now if you want lag free controller options.
>>
>>7607509
>I still want a Non Mini-NT cheap version of the NES console.
Theres the RetroAVS if you want that. It's funny how people complain about Kevtris but the AVS isn't open source either.

Although I expect once MiSTer development has been around for several years and FPGA's get cheaper they'll start shitting out product based on open source MiSTer cores.
>>
>>7607560
>Analogue has contributed to video game preservation in a significant way,
explain
>>
>>7607663

If the answer to this is "Its easier to play said game on it compared to Mister", then why not just buy the original. They are doing it with consoles that are not rare, much cheaper and just as easy if not easier to use than analogue. It smells like bullshit to me. I'm just saying.
>>
>>7607679
>It's funny how people complain about Kevtris but the AVS isn't open source either.
Because it's close to irrelevant. Obviously they're both the same kind of garbage, but one has a site design from the 80s and the other is milking money out of zoomers.

>>7607685
The main one is "HDMI output". Because that's what you really want from a NES, a blown up image on a 40 inch screen that your toaster could handle with emulation.
>>
>>7607683
They are producing brand new replacements of classic consoles that are 100% identical to the real thing, and work on modern TV's with perfect picture quality.
>>
>>7607692
How does that contribute to video game PRESERVATION?
>>
>>7607692
>>They are producing brand new replacements of classic consoles that are 100% identical to the real thing,
This is untrue, though. Kevtris might be good at his job, but he's not god. People cut corners, they misread logic gates, errors are introduced.
>>
>>7607698
Are you retarded or just want to keep baiting?
>>
>>7607703
Half this shit is being done with microscopes, errors will ultimately happen. Nice thing is open source means that multiple eyes can be placed on an issue instead of just one.
>>
>>7607710
Neither. What exactly is being preserved by buying an Analogue device?
>>
File: j2v4ja8cukq61.jpg (819 KB, 4000x2256)
819 KB
819 KB JPG
i want one badly now
>>
>>7607780

>using nasty noctua fan to ruin the aesthetics simply for 1 less degrees.

I'm not fully invested in this yet still trying to decide whether I should build or not but is the hardware itself capable of stuff like dreamcast? N64 would be nice, ps1 would be nice too. What about SGI hardware, can it rearrange itself for example to something like an old SGI computer?
>>
>>7607726
The consoles you baiting schizo.
>>
>>7607791
It's probably less about the temperature and more about the noise.
>>
>>7607802
How are they preserved? They're actually less preserved than the originals. You have no access to the hardware design or the firmware. At least you can look at an original NES or SNES or Genesis and remake that in an FPGA, but this takes the original device, puts it onto an FPGA, and hides the results from everybody. That's not preservation. That's usurpation. Nothing is preserved. It's taken and closed up. It's like taking a video game and putting it behind a glass case in some private collectors archive. It's not preserved, it's stolen.
>>
>>7607780
Just imagine when the Saturn core is ready.
>>
>>7607816
k
>>
>come to this board to talk about classic games with dedicated enthusiasts
>everybody is just triple autistic than regular /v/

I can smell you from here, jesus fucking christ chill the fuck out.
>>
I'm really close to buying one of these but I have one question: is the scan doubling option for VGA displays lagless? My best display is a 31KHz VGA monitor and would be what I use the mister with.
>>
>>7607873
Yes.
>>
> de nano came in early
> USB hub was delayed
あああああ
>>
>>7607806
>the noise.
The cheapo chink fan that came with my IO board is practically silent, I can't hear it at all. It does have a dumb LED on it though.
>>
>>7608034
Yeah I agree but I'm just saying people care more about the volume than the actual cooling ability. That's why the aluminum cases are in demand after all.
>>
>>7607873
Just a quick web search pulls up this
"By using the scandoubler option, you can output a 480p signal at 31 kHz which is generally in the range of standard PC monitors. You can then set a higher resolution and enable the scaler if you wish to let the MiSTer scale the image. Both options 1 and 2 should provide you with the same 0 lag experience"
>>
File: 1606400097760.jpg (468 KB, 3129x1966)
468 KB
468 KB JPG
I want one.
>>
>>7608359
Is that a mini-ITX mounting board?

>>7607791
>>7607780
Is a Noctua fan worth the $15?
I don't care about aesthetics, I just want my little box to not fry itself while I'm running Windows 95.
>>
>>7609128

I guess its worth it since its quality stuff but in the grand scheme of things probably not, it doesnt really matter. I guess you can say since everything else for it is expensive why cheap out on the fan.

So far I have bought the Shadow Grey Acrylic Case, IO Digital board and a "BLACK" Mister FPGA Micro USB Bridge PCB. I see the buttons are 3d printed crap any place that sells high quality buttons? The thing is im probably going to get this thing and eventually not gonna use it but I think its different this time, it allows me to try computer systems other than just games which I know ill spend way more time with, I guess I can justify the purchase if I have it running in the background. /rant
>>
>>7609250
Honestly find a top 100 or more list for the system you're interested in and you can lose tons of time with it.
>>
>>7608359
Nice...
>>
>>7607819
It will never happen lol. Also those cheap chink Saturn ripoff controllers are awful...
>>
File: image_2021-04-05_043141.png (2.14 MB, 1800x1200)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB PNG
>>7606939
The latest 8BitDo Arcade Stick is better and wireless with low input lag.
>>
>>7609672
>It will never happen lol
Why must you doubt eastern european programming skills?

https://twitter.com/srg320_/status/1375416890378625026
>>
>>7609824
>https://twitter.com/srg320_/status/1375416890378625026

I always heard how the saturn was such a complex machine so if that guy got that far then n64 is not out of the question right?
>>
>>7609841
N64 is even more complex, there are people working on N64 apparently but I wouldn't be optimistic that it'll fit. But I don't doubt someone is working on a core. Someone was working on a Nintendo DS core as well but it was going to be too big so he put it on the backburner for now, but the cores will exist at least even if they not play on the current hardware platform. So future devices will hopefully be capable even if the DE10-Nano isn't.
>>
>>7609824
>>7609841
Which platform is more complex, Saturn, PS1 or N64?
I'd be happy if any of them work on the DE10 but PS1 would certainly be the biggest boon to preservation.
>>
>>7609742
>with low input lag
Why would you ever accept any lag?
>>
>>7609940
Saturn
>>
File: D86nuxwUwAAlyNW.jpg (236 KB, 1181x1748)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
I don't really know how to research this question myself:
Is the cost of FPGAs coming down, long term? Devices that (at least of the ones I know) utilise them are pretty expensive across the board; Flashcarts, the OSSC, and the MiSTer obviously. In like 10 years will a consumer be able to purchase an FPGA with twice as many logic units as the Cyclone V or something? They exist now I know, but cost thousands of dollars- in fact the DE10 seems to be wierdly cheap because I think it's subsidised as an education tool (the box of mine says "for Intel FPGA University Program"). That makes me think this tech is intended for businesses rather than individuals, that the DE10 is anomalous and there might not be much interest for many years in producing a platform suitable for a "MiSTer 2" to start preserving shit like the PS2/GCN/Xbawks.
>>
>>7610246
Each generation is orders of magnitude more complex than the last one. You have to remember that current software based emulation for that gen is complete fucking garbage, I think we're only just reaching the point where Dreamcast is vaguely acceptable.

PS1 emulation was terrible until only a couple of years back. And N64 and Saturn emulation are both still terrible, not to mention all the unpopular consoles like the CDI or the fucking Pippin.

FPGAs will get cheaper, all hardware inevitably does as manufacturing processes become more mature. Will we have a good PS2 implementation in a decade? That's a much harder question to answer.
>>
https://mega.nz/folder/NwgikKaZ#-rTOMtu-tzBILbph4Yd1aw
>>
>>7610246
I wonder if its possible to connect 2 or more DE 10s. Can't see more powerful FPGA's ever being cheaper given the current faggotry in manufacturing.
>>
>>7610648
Disappointed. I was expecting the jtcps2 core files in there too.
>>
>>7610303
Dolphin and Beetle Saturn are pretty good.
>>
>>7610303
Biggest issue is PS1, gc/wii, psp, amongst others was passable pretty quickly, but took years to get compatibility where it is today, none of those being 100% although PS1 is damn close. The saturn and PS1 fpga cores will be great once they're out, but a hacked wii, xbox, ps2, and an N64 with an everdrive are going to be the only way to get 100% accuracy for a while until a massive improvement to current affordable fpga offerings is available.
>>
>>7610648

What is the point of uploading this?
>>
CHDs are incredible. Can finally load CDs off the NAS almost instantly
>>
>>7611835
Exactly, no point without the cores.
>>
>>7611668
>>7610303
>but a hacked wii, xbox, ps2, and an N64 with an everdrive are going to be the only way to get 100% accuracy for a while until a massive improvement to current affordable fpga offerings is available
It's not just that, someone also has to inspect the board and follow traces and decap chips to try work out what the fuck is going on inside a Wii/Xbox/PS2/N64 at a given time. I'm guessing most of those chips utilised were custom (or at least not thoroughly documented), and while there's no shortage of consoles out there to potentially decap (we're not talking about a 3DO or PC Engine FX or a CDi here) undertaking the effort required to write these things up into an FPGA core is a massive task. It'd be a monumental undertaking for even a major company, eg. Sony, to undertake the transcribing of HDL for a PS2. And we're expecting this to be carried out by hobbyists in their own time.
>>
Mr. Do!:
- Rewrote video timing
- Added screen flip in menu
>>
File: U_r_mr_gay.png (189 KB, 250x508)
189 KB
189 KB PNG
>>7595640
>>
File: 20210406_122954rez.jpg (1.38 MB, 2000x1452)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
I couldn't decide which heatsink so I ordered them all.

Aluminium, Anodized Aluminium, Ceramic, or Copper?
>>
>>7613840
Wtf. Copper is the best one obviously
>>
File: 1339055504744.jpg (19 KB, 192x220)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>7613952
That's what I figured.
I ordered the aluminium one off aliexpress only to find out it had regular double-sided tape on the bottom, not a thermal interface material. I ordered a copper one after that, but china shipping under the current circumstances takes forever and I was getting impatient so I bought the anodized and ceramic ones from local sellers (who mysteriously do not stock pure copper heatsinks, and why I'm in this dumb situation).
Only thing is, the copper one doesn't come with any adhesive so I had to buy some- which, otherwise at the risk of it coming loose and shorting out against the IO board, forms a permanent bond. Just wanted to make absolutely sure before I glue this fucker down.

Thank you.
>>
File: 1603486663675.png (96 KB, 475x258)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
>>7613840
>so I ordered them all
so retarded
>>
>>7613840
>Ceramic
What the fuck?
>>
>>7609250
>So far I have bought the Shadow Grey Acrylic Case
Do you get instructions for assembling those acrylic cases?
I'm wondering whether you fully assemble the MiSTer and slot it in the case whole, or if you have to ship-in-a-bottle it by adding each part (the USB hub daughter board > DE10 > I/O board) at a time.
>>
>>7615497
Can you not just look at them? It's pretty obvious they go on around the outside, at most you might have to remove the spacer feet.
>>
Another Chad joins the MiSTer gang.
>>
I think ive spent enough money on this shit gonna not spend until next month where i will complete it, but just to show how expensive this shit is.

1 acrylic case $50
1 128mb memory $55
1 mister io board $45
1 usb bridge $8

i bet before its over this will cost more than a xavier nvidia jetson nx but i guess thats not the point.
>>
>>7617668
The io board is a purchase that can be made later depending on your needs. There are 30 dollar cases on etsy. You will be spending about 350 to get everything though.
>>
>>7617668
$158 - MiSTer Add on parts
$140 DE-10 Nano
so roughly $300 which is what anyone would have told you.
>>
>>7615981
>Chad
There's no such thing, MiSTer Cuckoldson.
>>
>>7618170
Hmmmm...

>Buy overpriced FPGA crap like MiSTer or ANALogue?
>Or emulate on my PC for FREE!
PC emulation it is!
>>
Mister bros.. we are dominating the world soon
>>
File: robtendies.png (707 KB, 600x454)
707 KB
707 KB PNG
>>7618279
Aw yeaaah Mister Robotic Operating Buddy
>>
>>7618279
That's wishful thinking, manchild.
>>
>>7618252

The tech is pretty nice for what it does to be honest.
>>
>>7617668
This is because you're retarded.

The case is not only unnecessary, you could literally design and get one cut yourself at any laser cutters for much cheaper. I got my IO board and USB board, as well as 32mb of RAM for under 50 bucks from China.
>>
>>7618252
>Look mom I posted It again
>>
>>7596232
Why is he so greasy
>>
>>7618252
>>
File: 1612075247165.gif (147 KB, 220x243)
147 KB
147 KB GIF
>>7596249
How much space would be required for a curated collection?
If you can populate a combined filelist from two different locations I kinda want to put all the best games on the internal microSD (keep the MiSTer looking tidy 90% of the time) and store the rest on a FAT32 thumbdrive/external in case I ever get the desire to fuck about; you know, to play shovelware like Urban Yeti or watch the GBA Video version of Shark Tale.
>>
>>7619446
The biggest game collection currently is exodos at 562gb and eventually playstation CHDs at around 510gb. Everything else is much smaller. You can stick every nes, gb, and gba game on a 32 gb sd card. If you aren't touching disc or DOS you can get away with 64-128 gb. Otherwise a terabyte or 2 will cover you.
>>
ZXNext:
- Tweaks and fixes in VHD access (20210404 release might corrupt VHD upon write).
- Improved performance on 14MHz and 28MHz modes.
- Add hard reset, so can mount different VHD/SD without reloading the core and choose different machines.
- Add CPU clock info to OSD.
>>
File: 1369396987257.jpg (54 KB, 720x576)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>7619528
I have no real nostalgia for DOS games, so that's a bunch of space saved, but I probably will check out some Sega CD and PS1 titles.
Guess I should go for a 1TB SD card then.

Fuck that's gonna be expensive.
Thanks.
>>
>>7619557
Mister supports USB harrdrives and network drives, I wouldn't get an SD card that big personally.
>>
>>7609742
I wanted to buy one of these but I'm a lap player and it seems too narrow for it to sit comfortably
>>
File: 20210407_072425.png (2.08 MB, 1800x1200)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB PNG
>>7619574
These are the dimensions. Get a ruler and see if that would work for you.
>>
File: hori-fighting-edge.jpg (174 KB, 1920x1080)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
>>7619590
I have one of these rn and it sits just right, no matter how you look at it it's too narrow, it doesn't even have leg pads at the bottom
It also seems to exhibit a wobble problem even sitting on the table
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip5kmjn6llc
>>
>>7619627
Korean is more pleasant sounding than I remember...
>>
File: 1323076714452.gif (87 KB, 209x172)
87 KB
87 KB GIF
On the topic of fightsticks, I'm a 90s kid and 'my' first console was the N64- my sister however had a SNES, and she used to have this gigantic metal arcade stick that weighed a ton and felt really good to use. My memories from that period are too hazy to remember what it looked like exactly so I've not been able to identify it on google, but that thing left me with a strong impression of its weight and I've never been able to find a half-decent retail stick that felt even half as robust.

I actually don't play fighting games (nor arcade titles in general really, as I gained financial independence after the arcades in my area closed shop), so it's probably a kinda dumb investment to buy a stick- but I still kind of want to anyway now that I've built my MiSTer.
Is it a bad idea to get a customjob made by allfightsticks? Their 18" frames look to be exactly what I want, and it might be fun to use on old titles as well as modern 2D games.
>>
>>
>>7619745
oh shit, that looks sweet
>>
File: download.png (5 KB, 240x210)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
Here's a collection of all the super gameboy borders.

https://archive.org/details/mister-sgb-borders
>>
>>7619691
For the 100+ bucks you're paying just for a case, you might as well get something like this.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001243023121.html

It looks like a 16" board rather than an 18", but 18" is really overkill. If you want something that's not going to move, just open it up and tape some lead weights inside it.
>>
File: EaACXYvXQAM18N9 (1).webm (1.24 MB, 466x298)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB WEBM
>>
>>7619745
>>7619782
Who's doing this core?
>>
>>7619774
I have no real skill for soldering or anything so installing the guts of the stick would be a bit beyond me.
I don't mind paying the money, really I just want a chassis that doesn't feel cheap, good quality switches, and ideally something that will work with my PC/MiSTer/PS4/Switch.

Also the ability to customise them is pretty nice. I like the idea of getting a custom print with clear sanwa components.
>>
File: EuXhza2XEAAQP2d.jpg (537 KB, 1564x1564)
537 KB
537 KB JPG
>>7619789
This dude. He's balancing a few projects so it might be a while.
https://twitter.com/pcornier/status/1361742739323387906?s=20
>>
>>7619809
You don't need to solder to build a stick, they all use quick disconnects.

The price you're going to be paying for some retard to build your stick is insane, especially when it's literally just plugging shit into the right slots, and maybe using a screwdriver.

You're looking at 200+ dollars just for them to buy 40 dollars worth of switches and a 20 dollar board. And that's WITHOUT the 150 bucks you have to pay just for the case and button layout board.

As for customization, it always looks garbage. Sanwa tolerances aren't actually good enough for the buttons not to shift slightly every time you press them. These guys are also charging 35 bucks for printing, while you can get that done elsewhere for 13 bucks if you don't want the hassle of cutting shit yourself (https://focusattack.com/non-commercial-fightstick-panel-artwork-print/), or much cheaper if you can use a pair of scissors.

The case I linked has a clear acrylic top plate, you just take that off and put a different sheet of paper underneath to change the design. And buttons you can put artwork in are easy enough to find.
>>
>>7619865
Actually yeah, on investigating further the price for a fully assembled stick is pretty high and shipping from the USA will be insane since it's fedex only.
The MiSTer was also kind of depressingly easy to put together, and this might offer a bit more challenge. Could be an interesting project. Not sure the aesthetics will be as attractive as the allfightsticks one but it will be like half the price.

Thanks for talking me out of doing something retarded.
>>
>>7619903
I actually find those AFS really quite ugly, you can see the hangover on the edges because they haven't properly welded the seams together. Probably because they cheaped out on the metal, that's why they have an extra bracket just for holding the stick.

Really, the only reason I could see someone buying one of those is if they want some sperglord layout they can't find elsewhere. Building an arcade stick is really very easy, the only hard part is finding a case anyway. The rest is all plug and play.
>>
File: triggered-meme-gif.gif (241 KB, 300x300)
241 KB
241 KB GIF
>>7619220
>>7619369
>MiSTer cucks getting triggered by someone choosing emulation on PC over MiSTer.
kwab
>>
Does MiSTer work with the wireless dongle for the original Xbox One controllers?
>>
>>7620000
Anon. People who use MiSTer emulate as well. You're making fun of an imaginary demographic.
>>
>>7619557
It's probably cheaper to get a 256gb SD card for your roms right now, and then use a USB drive or network drive for any larger stuff.
>>
>>7619809
I mean you could just DIY with a random project box. Drill some holes for mounting/buttons/fan vent and maybe 3D Print or laser cut a replacement front and back panel.
>>
>>7620041
Pretty sure it does but not 100% sure on that.
>>
>>7620071
I never said the MiSTer wasn't emulation. It's certainly an emulation device.
>>
ZX Spectrum:
- Fixes and tweaks in DivMMC VHD.
>>
File: 2000 rupees.jpg (7 KB, 250x208)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>7620000
>Streetshitter getting triggered by people having more than 2000 rupees to spend on games
>>
File: triggered snowflake.jpg (72 KB, 500x550)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>7620479
>Getting triggered by emulation Chads who are saving $450 by not spending on an emubox.
What am I gonna do with $450 in my pocket? Hmmmmm...guess I'll spend it on new clothes.
>>
>>7620515
I mean yeah, if you spent less than $135 on your PC you might have a point there. Did your PC hatch out of an egg?
>>
if you spend money on one of these instead of just emulating SNES games on your PC, you're a fucking retard
>>
>>7620515
The only Chads that emulated were the ones that played Tecmobowl in Nesticle on their school's library's computers.
>>
I see the indian dude is already shitting all over this thread, shame on you idiots for giving him attention
>>
>>7620639
Eh. Slow day and keeps the thread bumped.
>>
>>7595898
>You've obviously never tried a PS Move controller and a gun attachment.
please just leave and never come back
>>
>>7620639
He's why I make these threads. Guaranteed (You)s that I can bill Big MiSTer for.
>>
>>7620556
I spent over $1400 on my PC and that's because I wanted to play the latest games such as REmake 2 and Final Fantasy 7 Remake, which I am sure the MiSTer isn't powerful enough to play.

>>7620601
>school's library's computers
Only poorcucks used those back then. I had a computer at home during my childhood.
>>
File: big t.gif (2.53 MB, 368x349)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB GIF
>>7620797
So you spent 1400 on an emubox.
>>
>>7620820
Building a gaming PC to download and play PC games isn't an emubox.
>>
>>7620860
Does that $1400 piece of shit even qualify as a gaming PC? Maybe in India, but here in the best world 1400 wouldn't even get you a decent GPU.
>>
>>7620893
Shows how little you know about PC gaming. LOL Maybe if I were looking to play my games in 4K, I should spend more. But I still play games in HD, so I'm good.
>>
>>7620943
So you're not actually playing "the latest games" as you claimed in a previous post. No wonder you've resorted to playing SNES on your 1400$ emubox.
>>
>>7620959
False. I am playing the latest games, I met all the requirements on components I need. You obviously have no clue how PC gaming works.
>>
File: FF7_ScanBefore.png (432 KB, 1024x512)
432 KB
432 KB PNG
More playstation progress. https://youtu.be/sHQgcLhpOH8
>>
>>7620989
Says the guy who spent 1400 zogs on an emubox.
>>
>>7621005
ok things are getting impressive on the PS1 core front.

Man when this shit hits all the people who waited on the DE10 Nano will be out of luck cause that shit will be sold out.
>>
>>7621084
Reason I got in now. I can see these things going fast when this releases.
>>
>>7621005
This kills the indian
>>
>>7621094
Yeah, way cheaper than getting a PS1 + ODE.
>>
>>7620675
True. This thread would probably have died yesterday with all the sega system spam if it wasn't for pajeet bumping it nonstop.
>>
>>7621189
Exactly.
>>
>it turns out ps1 wont fit on de10
>>
>>7621202
The board they are using to Dev this has less logic blocks and specs than MiSTer. It'll be fine.
>>
>>7621202
Turns out it's more likely that it will fit.
>>
>>7621189
The only thing that could top the MiSTer on the PS1 front once this core hits is if somehow a method to launch PS1 mode from PS2 HDD was found, but that seems very unlikely
>>
MiSTer threads will hit 500 replies in an hour when the PS1 core drops and Patel will cry as he gazes upon his bargain basement gaymen pc.
>>
This is the write up for anyone curious.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/49749616
>>
>>7621005
> memory card support
But does Tony Hax work?
>>
>>7621005
https://youtu.be/sHQgcLhpOH8

Mister is getting more based'r
>>
Can't wait for Chadstation on MiSTer the chad platform.
>>
>>7621487
Based.
https://youtu.be/adqnO7GDY3o
>>
>>7621005

If they get that and N64 running that would be it. I hate to use the word perfect but it would be pretty close to it.
>>
>>7621706
N64 sadly isn't likely without either a stronger fpga or some form of addon.
>>
>>7621706
>N64
0%
>>
>>7621761
>MiSTer will never run Playstation
>MiSTer will never run Saturn
>MiSTer will never run N64
^you are here
>>
>>7621813
N64 it's too much
>>
File: 1613532033310.jpg (58 KB, 1024x768)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
I own two SGI machines, one is a base model o2 which is mint and another is an indigo 2 max impact. i know its a pipe dream but if it could somehow "emulate" hardware like that with Irix OS that would be a dream. Thats when its impossible levels of illusions..

>he didn't mister when it was still "cheap"
>pic related
>>
>>7621813
God, why would anybody fucking own this then, just kill yourself everybody, literally everything before this gen runs perfectly on a fucking phone why are you buying this shit
>>
>>7621995
Please read, search in Google what is a fpga.
>>
File: 1617056988370.gif (425 KB, 220x164)
425 KB
425 KB GIF
>>7621995

Not him but I'm beginning to think you secretly like Mister because what's there not to like, how it works is special and even if you hate emulating for $350 to get something that has so much potential for the future and support right now its a steal. I would have spent $400 on a Jetson Xavier NX cause it looks fucking cool and can emulate up to and more gamecube games flawlessly but Im still going this route because IMO its the only way to run these old systems, its on another level when you try to compare it to emulating on a PC. I know it might come off as snobbish but it really isn't about that.
>>
>>7621995
>Perfectly
Are you one of those guys that thinks the Wii is the perfect emulation box?
>>
File: poorfags.png (112 KB, 688x1434)
112 KB
112 KB PNG
>>7622026
It's a tale as old as time itself.
>>
>>7622017
Don't care.
>>7622026
>>7622041
The differences you see between Misters accuracy versus my computer's accuracy are very minimal. I'm not autistic like you both about every single spec regarding emulation. The SNES on my computer runs no differently at all compared to what I see on my own cartridges. I highly doubt the experience is worth $350. My computer can run up to the wii and my computer is a hand me down.
>>
File: emutards BTFO.png (74 KB, 725x521)
74 KB
74 KB PNG
>>7622074
Stop lying to yourself.
>>
>>7622074

It's not just about accuracy but there are plenty of videos on youtube that show the difference and its there sometimes its little sometimes its really obvious. But like I said its not all about that, I want to be able to switch between everything by loading cores at will and without thinking about it too much, ruins the experience , some might see getting there as an experience but really I want to be able to run old OS for brief satisfaction vs doing it on the pc and going through the process. Plus its knowing its as good as its going to get vs buying the real thing. There is nothing wrong with having options, its a good middle ground between buying the real hardware and emulating on the pc.
>>
>>7622097
>mame
do you have snes examples of high accuracy emulators vs mister
>>
>>7622123
Do you have a goalpost that you want try moving.
>>
>>7622128
im just curious the guy was talking about snes and you bring up something completely different
>>
>>7622102
>sometimes its little sometimes its really obvious.
I don't think the ratio is really high enough to warrant getting it if you already have alternatives. That's my thing. If you truly enjoy it I won't knock you for it, sorry I was abrasive in my original post, but, I still truly don't understand its appeal. I mean, even as a raspberry pi would seem to make more sense to me.
>>
>>7622123
Yes.
>>
Analog video output
>>
>>7622146
post them then
>>
File: 1.png (295 KB, 500x537)
295 KB
295 KB PNG
>>
idiots actually think running HLE emulators on their office-surplus shitboxes can actually stack up to some of the painstakingly engineered FPGA cores on MiSTer.
>>
FPGA with Analog output (and HDMI for modern TV) vs A computer running windows 10 + shitty drivers on windows mode
Mister bros I think we lost....
Javabros can't stop winning
>>
>>7622157
I'll get right on that after you define "high accuracy emulators". And it will be easy, because there's no such thing as a high accuracy emulator. Lag & sync issues make all emulators inherently inaccurate, hence the gold standard of emulation - Mame - being found to be upto 45% inaccurate.
>>
>>7622175
I use a PC CRT for my consoles, so switching back to my PC for emulators doesn't make a difference.
>>
>>7622183
so you are lying then im just curious of examples of mister snes vs emulation im not sure why youre so mad about someone asking a question
>>
>>7622183
do you have a goal post that you want to try moving
>>
HDR bros?
>>
>>7622190
There's no point in me comparing FPGA to anything other than an emutard approved piece of bloatware, because you'll just move the goalposts again. And here's the best part: You can pick any bloatware, it will lag and have sync issues that MiSTer doesn't suffer from. FACT.

Picrel is me waiting for you to define high accuracy emulation.
>>
>>7622221
why are you so mad lol i dont even hate mister project i was thinking about getting one when more progress is done for ps1 and saturn i just wanted some examples of snes vs emulation
>>
>>7622228
So pick an emulator?
>>
>>7622235
higan
>>
>>7622235
Literally any emulator you want fucker. Compare it to higan/bsnes, snes9x, zsnes. The last two despite being outdated work perfectly fine with no noticeable inaccuracies, the former is considered the most accurate as of now.
>>
File: INACCURATE.png (66 KB, 618x904)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
>>7622247
You could have just said that 40 minutes ago. Of course, that would mean you would have been been dismissed 39 minutes ago, but still.
>>
This entire argument is retarded, the post that started all of this off said that the subjective experience of playing these games is completely identical and nobody at all notices inaccuracies like when playing on an "inferior" device, a device which happens to support more emulators than yours does. The ratio of noticeable inaccuracies versus unnoticeable isn't high enough to warrant a machine that can't even emulate below the n64. Only autists would ever notice something at 62 FPS or whatever the fuck difference it is.
>>
>>7622260
you could have just posted this instead of acting like a giant faggot for 40 minutes calm down retard
>>
File: Not Accurate.png (1004 KB, 928x400)
1004 KB
1004 KB PNG
>>7622282
Where's the fun in that?
>>
>>7622278
>my Pi runs more emulators!
ok
>>
>>7622303
I don't even own a pi lol.
>>
File: thumb.jpg (44 KB, 625x614)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>7622293
Delicious Hindu tears.
>>
>>7622278
>the subjective experience of playing these games is completely identical
>The ratio of noticeable inaccuracies versus unnoticeable isn't high enough
Big words everywhere, truly a gamer moment.
>>
>>7621937
It's unlikely but the odds of N64 aren't 0%. I'd give it a 15% chance.
>>
>>7622319
>big words
Stop outing yourself as a retard like this
>>
>>7621813
I think it can run a reduced version of an N64 core.
>>
can this run off of 18650 batteries
>>
>>7622478
Yes anon, I'm sure you could find a way to power it with over eighteen thousands batteries.
>>
>>7595640
does the 486 core support Freesync?
>>
>>7622478
Those are 4,2V, so I'm not sure. You'll need 5V to power the board. Maybe with a step up converter of some kind.
>>
>>7622260
Rajesh Blown the fuck out.
>>
>>7622221
The only thing that comes close to matching MiSTer levels of performance is Retroarch, but pajeets hate that too since they can't use the UI.
>>
"the former is considered the most accurate as of now"

I lol'd out loud when he said this about higan. Emutards seem to enjoy embarrassing themselves.
>>
>>7622612
I think it was funnier when he said "ZSNES works perfecttly with no noticeable innacuracies".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq7_6R_cvgw
>>
>>7622615
>the parody cannot be distinguished from reality

They really were better off when the Brits ruled over them.
>>
>>7596637
>they make terabyte microsd cards now
When the fuck did this happen?
I remember having to get a 16MB USB flash drive for school that was the size of a snickers bar and cost my parents a hundred bucks.
>>
>>7622612
>>7622615
Never noticed any of that when I played my games without any framerate issues, sound probleme, or tearing.
>>
>>7623187
Why would you buy a 16MB flash drive when you could just get a floppy? The first time it was worth getting into USB was when they were up to 128mb or so.
>>
>>7623281
It was part of my school's "you must buy this" list of crap for I think the 8th grade.
>>
>>7623416
What kind of dogshit rich kid school did you go to? The first time I had a "you must buy this garbage" list, it was for university, and I ignored all the textbook recommendations and just bought lab equipment.
>>
>>7623208
Yeah, most groids don't realise they smell either.
>>
>>7622615
I honestly can’t tell the difference
>>
>>7595640
can this thing do cps2 games yet because if not i don't give a shit
>>
>>7623867
Yes.
>>
> USPS lied about delivery date again
I just want my USB hub dammit.
>>
File: 1392025684130.png (263 KB, 500x384)
263 KB
263 KB PNG
>>7623986
I know the feeling. All the bits of my MiSTer have arrived with the exception of the case, RTC and ADC boards which are coming from the UK.
Because I'd have to disassemble the unit to install them I can't justify assembling it in the first place.

I can see the lack of a USB hub being an issue though; it's technically "optional" but between controllers, bluetooth, WiFi, etc. it's actually rather fucking essential.
>>
>>7623993
I literally can't plug anything in to it. I don't have micro USB adapters. The most I can do is ssh into it and do attract mode for the arcade cores.
>>
>>7623993
Why the fuck did you even buy that garbage? I got those free with my chink order (because they just send you everything for 50 bucks), and I didn't even bother installing them because I've heard they slightly interfere with some pins without a spacer, and they add nothing of value to your setup. Nobody wants to load shit from a tape deck, and nobody needs RTC when a cheap wifi dongle keeps the clock perfect anyway.
>>
>>7623993
I don't get this. They're literally lego parts. It wouldn't be hard to disassemble/reassemble at all
>>
>>7624015
Oof. Yeah that definitely sucks.

>>7624030
>RTC
Mine wont be connected to the internet sometimes. I bought some little plastic screws/nuts to act as a standoff.
>ADC
I bought it because having unpopulated sockets on the case would trigger my OCD. No other reason. And this one comes with a PCB spacer.

>>7624053
I'm a bit of a bumblecunt and don't trust myself to do this more than once.
>>
Guys what do you think MiSTer MT32-Pi Hat ? Using a raspberry pi to synthesize roland music and send it to the mister via USB, somehow it synchronize perfectly.

The idea is neat, it's like using an external sound card, though I admit a bit disappointed they were not able to do it under fpga tech.

Also isn't this the proof you can basically leave some tasks to the fpga board and other task to a non fpga board and create something like hybrid emulation ?

Doesn't that open the way to make other core that we think not possible on MISTer like N64 or DS to actually works under those circumstances ?
>>
>>7624064
I was sceptical until learning it was bare metal and the Fourier guy was involved. Unfortunately I'd have to get an addon board for my mister and pi, but it's really cool.
>>
>>7624064
Potentially. If someone made an android port of the pocket station that could be a great addition to the playstation core.
>>
>>7624076
Yeah the downside is you need the IO board for it, still I wonder if we can't push it further and use other way.
>>
>>7624087
Perhaps using it for more audio processing stuff, but I can't imagine it for anything more complicated. Still, if audio processing can be pushed to an outside resource that leaves more room on the fpga for other things.
>>
>>7624064
The problem is by introducing a typical CPU you are then subject to all the traditional flaws of emulation. It's more likely that bigger cores will make use of 2 DE 10 nanos.
>>
>>7624136
The mt32 pi at least doesn't actually have a secondary operating system to muddy things up. The mister is sending the signals that go straight to the bare metal and the pi processes it much like a proper sound card.
>>
File: Gee MiSTer.png (550 KB, 600x613)
550 KB
550 KB PNG
>>7624136
>It's more likely that bigger cores will make use of 2 DE 10 nanos.
>>
>>7624064
It's a cute idea, but ultimately I'm not really interested in computer cores right now, and while the MT-32 is a beautiful system, I've never cared much for it. For me, adlib is the sound of those games, and while the MT-32 versions do sound great, it's not what I'm really looking for.

When you combine that with the cost, I'm less and less interested. If I cared about MT-32, Munt works more than well enough and it's fucking free.
>>
>>7624203
Wasn't aware munt worked with the mister. I'll have to try that.
>>
>>7624203
>For me, adlib is the sound of those games
Holy based
>>
File: EyeKITPWEAkILPb.jpg (261 KB, 850x1102)
261 KB
261 KB JPG
Tomorrow
>>
>>7624062
>I bought it because having unpopulated sockets on the case would trigger my OCD
What's it like being autistic?
>>
>>7623993
Especially if you consider that repeatedly plugging things in and out will cause wear on the DE10-Nano. Best to be safe and get the USB hub.
>>
>>7626173
Apparently it's just the micro USB that's super fragile. Should be fine with everything else, though.
>>
>>7624064
MT32-Pi doesn't depend on MiSTer but it's a great project and when the MT32-Pi guy saw all the people noticing his project were using MiSTer he worked with sorg to design a way for it to interact with MiSTer using the USER port. It's pretty neat, but it's neat just for using an old Pi3 and turning it into a MIDI synth.
>>
>>7626179
Yeah great use for a pi 3 since most people probably upgraded to a 4 and just have one laying around.
>>
>>7624203
I like how the 486 core has CMS support.
>>
500+ posts but seriously

if you had a choice to get a jetson xavier nx and a mister which would you get? you can run gamecube games on an xavier at the palm of your hand with wifi 6 support

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdUbk8FhS7k&ab_channel=ETAPRIME
>>
>>7626463
I want an FPGA solution for everything up until N64, and a Jetson Xavier NX or similar for anything more recent.
>>
>>7626463
I'd probably get an x86 machine instead honestly.
>>
All you need is up to PS1/N64, none of the other shit matters.
>>
so my memory arrives. next is case and io . i get paid tomorrow ill probably get usb hub and save de10 nano for last which i know i should have done it backwards.
>>
>>7626553
Jesus dude. Why did you go in that order
>>
File: 1524463409748.png (283 KB, 715x1116)
283 KB
283 KB PNG
>>7596620
>>7603908
>>7607476
>>7609250
>>7615497
>>7617668
>>7619865
Protip:
If you buy an acrylic case do NOT clean it with ethanol.
>>
Won't be here the rest of the day so this'll be my last update. Jotego release day though.

ZXNext:
- Add second drive (D:).
- Add wait state while writing to VHD which should fix write timeout in some cases.
- Add RTC.
- Support for TZX and CSW(non-compressed) tape formats.
>>
>>7626545
Nah just up to PS1 really. N64 chink flashcarts are cheap but there's no good solution for PS1. Saturn sucks so I don't care.
>>
>>7627773
Yeah. Drive emulators are nice, but not ideal. Biggest issue with PS1 and ps2. Everything else can use flash cards or be soft modded.
>>
Finally a half decent side by side.
https://youtu.be/y8bV0fOMYX0
>>
>>7627848
This is a weird comparison because all of his complaints don't make any sense. If he prefers an analog RGB signal, why isn't he running the MiSTer through VGA?

I'd be far more interested in side by side comparisons of the analog output. Personally, I can't tell any difference between my MiSTer and my Mega Drive, although I haven't done a lot of SNES testing because there are a lot of different revisions with varying picture quality.
>>
>>7595864
It wouldn't be if normies didn't invade our culture and ruin the entire hobby for us by making it impossible to afford. Can't just walk into an old mom and pop shop and pick up Super Metroid for $4 anymore.
>>
>>7622278
lol u mad
>>
>>7627848
100% accurate. Emutards BTFO!
>>
File: seinfeld meme.jpg (42 KB, 240x260)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>7622278
>>
Good jotego release today.
>>
New thread >>7628507

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.