[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Do you guys ever experience motion sickness when playing certain games? If so, have you found a way to combat it? I’d like to play Doom, Goldeneye, basically any retro FPS, but I get nauseous about 30 minutes into playing.
>>
Have you tried adjusting the FOV?
>>
>>7453553
I got motion sickness when I attempted to play Ultima Underworld.
>>
>>7453553
I am perfectly ok with fps games but when I try to play those spaceship simulator games where you sit in cockpit, it gets horrible.
>>
Sometimes, moving in 2d sidescrollers strains my eyes. The backgrounds get a bit blurry. Anyone else? Is it normal?
>>
>>7453631
this and System Shock 1
>>
>>7453553

Some of them do, some don`t and I don`t know why. Not only first-person games but sometimes third-person too. usually I have a tolerance of 30 minutes or so, like you said, which is good enough to beat a level. Dialing up the FOV doesn`t seem to be help a lot.
>>
>>7453658
>Sometimes, moving in 2d sidescrollers strains my eyes. The backgrounds get a bit blurry. Anyone else? Is it normal?

Only when I play side scrollers on LCDs.
>>
File: eugh.jpg (97 KB, 575x900)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
Try a higher FOV.

And the only game that has ever affected me is Turok on N64 back in the late 90's. Haven't played it since then, but when i played it for 90+ minutes, almost every time i'd get a head ache and a pressure feeling like my head was about to explode, and my head would also get fucking hot, like REALLY hot... To the point that i had to open the window and sit under it for 30 minutes to cool down. Fucking bizarre. Is this motion sickness or what? I've played many thousands of games and no other game or anything else has ever done this. I've also been on boats on rough seas and they haven't done shit to me.
>>
I used to play FPS all the time, even pulled several all-nighters playing them as a teenager. Now I can't play for 5 minutes without feeling headaches and wanting to vomit. I don't know what's wrong with me.

And yes, I tried adjusting the FOV.
>>
forsaken on psx makes me fucking sick
>>
>>7453910
we are getting old, that's it
>>
>>7453553
Play Descent until you stop being a pussy.
>>
File: Sam3Linux_Street.jpg (771 KB, 1920x1200)
771 KB
771 KB JPG
I feel bad when I play games with a weird lighting engine. This happened with Serious Sam 3 / Talos
>>
>>7453910
>can't play for 5 minutes

How old are you? Unless you're like 70+ i think you might have some health related problem because that's not normal.
>>
>>7454025
Mid-thirties. Any other genre is fine, it's just FPS that causes this.
>>
Head bob/sway is the worst offender. Get rid of it and it gets better
>>
>>7453553
the only game that making me feel that is the alephone port of Marathon
>>
>>7453553

The drunken camera in SH games after a while
>>
>>7453553
the camera in kingdom hearts made me really motion sick
>>
>>7453886
To be fair, if any game gives you motion sickness it's going to be Turok 1+2 on N64, low FOV, variable framerate, altogether with every flavor of head bob, tilt, and roll. Thankfully the Nightdive re-release lets you toggle every single one of those issues.
>>
>>7453553
I'm still fine with Doom 1&2 and Goldeneye.

I even have frequent dreams about those Doom games.

But Wolfenstein 3D is tough to play.
I kind of get wierded out by phone scrolling as I get older. It kind of gives me the sensation of falling.

I can tell at some point I'm going to be using a desktop monitor that's 4:3, 5:4, or 16:10 for reading stuff.

16:9 and 9:16 are too much of a pain anymore.
>>
Happened in half life 2

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.