[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: playstation.png (3.9 MB, 3062x1151)
3.9 MB
3.9 MB PNG
I'm starting to get paranoid and scared that ROM sites are going to get nuked.

How do I go about calculating how many terabytes I would need to download to backup a majority of the PS1 library? (Not downloading any sports games or downscaled PC ports)
>>
>>7453308
curating a custom romset like that is a lot harder than you think. even region-specific sets can be a bitch to update.
usa ps1 is something like 750 gigs. eur (including regional) and jap are 1tb+ each.
>>
>>7453308
Find the average ROM size and then times it by how many games there are for PS1, finally divide it by 1024 to get a rough estimate of how many gigabytes it will require.
>>
If you remove sports games, and games that were either multiplats at the time or got re-released by now, off the top of my head you're just gonna have a bunch of JRPGs, Dino Crisis 2, Brave Fencer Musashi, the Syphon Filter, Fear Effect and Parasite Eve series, Medieval, and not much else notable. So you can probably get it around 150gb max
>>
>>7453308
Nothing can take down archive.org
not even DCMA
>>
>>7453308
My emu folder is 4.5 tb. This is with not retro shit in there though.
>>
>>7453926
Just adding the PSX folder specifically is 273 GB. That is 500+ games. Could easily use disk compression to fit more.
>>
>>7453308
> he is using centralized but idiot-friendly solutions
>>
Go through the Virtual Gaming Library videos for each console you're interested in and download the games that seem interesting to you. Going 2x speed and skipping forwards on stuff that is obviously bad, I went through NES, Master System, SNES, Genesis, Saturn, N64, Dreamcast and GameCube in three days doing like one hour per day. Than it took me two more days for PS1 and 2 (the PS1 videos are broken up by letter and it is not complete, so I had to dig through the PSX Datacenter for the missing games). Now I have a huge collection of stuff I actually want to play.
No reason to keep terabytes of shovelware and generic sports games.
>>
I think full PS1 library is at least a TB, of course that's pointless to hoard the whole thing
Like someone said before, get a nice list going of games you actually care about or are interested in playing and download those. I have around 100 PS1 games and that's only 45gb~
>>
>>7453308
why do you think they're going to be nuked?
>>
>>7453989
TPP 2 you electric booger, you
>>
>He hasn't already downloaded his favorite PS1 roms and backed them up on external harddrive

Bro get to it
>>
>>7453308
According to Wikipedia there are over 3098 PS1 games and ever more once you factor in region versions. In my experience 100 games compressed to CHD take up about 30GB so for 3098 games you'd be looking at 930GB.

In comparison the complete rom sets for N64 games (1000+) or GBA games (3200+) only take up about 12GB each. As much as the autist in me likes complete rom sets its just not worth it with disc based consoles.
>>
>>7453963
>mass download complete rom sets in the background
>extract game from full set to main roms folder when I want to play it
Good on you for getting everything you want downloaded, but it seems like the most autistic and tedious way to go about it.

>>7454172
>As much as the autist in me likes complete rom sets its just not worth it with disc based consoles.
Piracy isn't completely free, you have to pay for storage space. Everybody on /vr/ is old enough to have a job. Buy a fucking hard drive.
>>
>>7454219
>it seems like the most autistic and tedious way to go about it.
It Is.
hard drives are cheap as shit
poorfag boomers don't matter

>>7453308
Here you go

https://archive.org/details/Redump.orgSonyPlayStation-PAL-F

http://redump.org/
>>
>>7454409
>POOL
Yuck.
>>
>>7454415
>PALshit - F
>F... for FIFA
I'm going to assume that link was a joke
>>
>>7454409
>hard drives are cheap as shit
>poorfag boomers don't matter
I can see how some poorfag who can't afford a single hard drive wouldn't want a full set for a disc-based console. What I don't understand is why retards feel the need to "curate" their rom sets for cartridge systems. You don't have to extract the entire contents to your rom folder or put it all on your Raspberry Pi shitbox. But why would you permanently delete roms out of a full set that costs literally nothing in storage space? The smallest USB thumbdrives you can buy have enough space to store full sets of every pre 5th gen console. Do they like wasting their time doing autistic shit for no benefit?
>>
>>7453308

>Oh no! Not my (12) good games for each system! How on earth will I ever play them all?
>>
>>7454547
I like having only what I need. What’s the point of having a list of 600 games when I only want 40 of them
>>
Never ever going to happen. Even if all the sites got nuked for some reason there is still bittorrent. Zoomers are afraid of it but will probably never going to die. I reckon things like irc and usenet will still be around for a long while too.
>>
>>7454553
I quickly added up the full sets (cartridge only) for NES, Gameboy/GBC, Master System, Genesis, PCE, Game Gear and it comes to a whopping total of 4.5 GB. I don't have all those games in my main roms list, but I can spare the extra 4.5 GB of storage just to keep it around. Maybe you can save up and purchase a DVD-R disc, that will give you enough extra space.
>>
>>7454553
I get not wanting to wade through a bunch of random games to get to what you want. Though it's nice when you find an obscure game mentioned in a thread and you already happen to have it.
>>7454604
>Zoomers are afraid of it
Is this why it seems like nobody heard of private trackers in /v/? I remember using dgemu and finding out a decade later my account still existed and built up an ungodly amount of points.
>>
>>7453308
Who would go around calculating the data of a server , just ask the dev jesus
>>
>>7453349
This.

Archive.org hosts redump, and is immune to DMCA takedowns for obsoletable media like cartridges and discs.

Not even Nintendo can bully them.
>>
>>7454921
Based. How are they immune to DMCA?
>>
>>7453349
If you see something you want you should grab it though, since collections on there do disappear. Don't be a dipshit and download one rom at a time.
>>
I'd never be worried. Torrents of this shit will forever be seeded.
>>
>>7453308
Just dl everything you want from the archive. Now you have the archive.
>>
>>7454921
You can't rely on Archive.org in the new TPP era
>>
>>7454547
Scrolling through 100,000 pages of rom files is taxing to my focus and my patience. They can stay on a fuckin DVD until I want them.
>>
I have absolutely all the psx isos on a HDD, it's ~3,75Tb.

That's surprisingly larger than the Saturn.
>>
>>7453349
Why'd they nuke a buncha Prima guides I wonder, or did that happen to all be one uploader?
>>
Anybody got magnet links to torrents for full libraries of gen 5 and newer?
>>
>>7454547
I have fullsets in an archive and curated set in a folder.
>>
>>7453308
Is there even any good ps1 games? I thought all the best games were in the ps2.
>>
>>7458282
It's not at all surprising. The PSX had a lot more games in general.
>>
>>7454550
Found the scrub.
>>
>>7453308
You can fit Klonoa, Crash Bandicoot, FutureCop LAPD, FF7, Medival, Gex, and Croc on one 16gb thumbdrive with room to spare.

What else do you need from this system's library?
>>
>>7454921
>>7453349
I always wondered why archive.org was allowed to host roms while other sites would get nuked
>>
>>7453993
lol
>>
>>7458282
How is that surprising? The Saturn died prematurely (doubly so in the west), whereas the PS1 was still getting games well into the PS2's life.
>>
>>7459657
Why do you even post here?
>>
>>7453308
mines 140gb for 250ish PS1 games.
>>
>>7453308
ROM sites come and go, but they'll never be eliminated entirely.
Online piracy is a never-ending game of whack-a-mole for copyright holders, and it's highly unlikely that they'll ever win.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.