[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Rank all the NES Mega Man games.

Also-
Current Loose Price:
Mega Man - $66
Mega Man 2 - $23
Mega Man 3 - $17
Mega Man 4 - $31
Mega Man 5 - $105
Mega Man 6 - $40

Does anyone know why MM5 is so much more expensive than the rest?
>>
>>7448167
6 > 4/5 > 3 > 2 > 1
>>
>>7448167
2 = 4 > 1 > 3 = 5 > 6
>>
I'm debating whether to try out X7 and X8.

Should I...?
>>
>>7448235
Yes. I really like X7 and X8 is considered to be alright.
>>
>>7448235
X8 is as mediocre as the PS1 games
X7 is legitimately one of the worst games in the franchise. Aside from DOS Megaman and maybe Battle Chip Challenge it is the bottom of the barrel.
>>
>>7448167
>Does anyone know why MM5 is so much more expensive than the rest?
Oh, I remember seeing this discussion on /v/ before. It's because 5 and 6 were both released very, very late in the NES' life. But 6 had the advantage of being published by Nintendo instead of Capcom, so quite a few copies were made.
>>
>>7448298
Ah gotcha. Thanks anon.
>>
>>7448167
Playing through the Mega Man Legends games for the first time. I really liked the first game. The second one so far, I feel isn't as good as the first.
>>
>>7448449
The water dungeon in Legends 2 gives me atomic aids
>>
File: 1447568785104.jpg (235 KB, 878x592)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
3>4>>2>5>6>>>1
>>
>>7448601
This
>>
>>7448601
God Tier:

High Tier:

Mid Tier:

Low Tier:
&Bass

Shit Tier:
>>
>>7448586
>water dungeon
Oh no. Is it that bad? Right now, I'm only at the Forbidden Island stage in the part where you fight the mammoth reaverbot boss.
>>
>>7448167
I really disliked every old mega man game I tried but I like 8 a lot, loved the aesthetic of Legends, and like battle network a lot. It's funny how other than the blue guy, the later ones have almost nothing in common with the old stuff.
>>
>>7449179
retard
>>
>>7448167
3>1>6>2>4=5

I like them all, and acknowledge that from a level perspective I think 1 is the weakest but it's the most nostalgic for me. 2 is a little too easy, and I think the others do stuff it does better but it has my favorite soundtrack, and I know it the best so when I start playing it I always want to finish it
>>
File: rockview.png (3.71 MB, 1450x2320)
3.71 MB
3.71 MB PNG
>>7448167
>>
>>7448586
The water dungeon in Legends 2 is my favourite part of the game.
>>
>>7450002
>he doesn't like BN and SF

pleb

Pretty good list otherwise although I rank X3 above X2 myself
>>
>>7448167
You've got to be joking! Are my six loose Mega Man carts really worth $282 when they were all bought at pawn shops for like $5 - $10 a pop?
Also, I have games that I wouldn't part with that I know are easily worth over $100, but I never expected MM5 to be one of them.
>>
>>7448167
4 > 3 > 6 > 2 > 1 > 5
>>
>>7450002
>didn't like Xtreme2
>thinks ZX is better than Advent
>didn't like Zero 3

Oooooh I get it, you completed this during opposite day
>>
>>7448167

2 > 3 > 6 > 1 > 4/5
>>
>>7448167
To answer your question about why Mega Man 5 costs so much, I think it came out during the time when families were stumped about if they should sell their NES to help gather money to purchase an SNES, or just keep it. By the time 1993 had rolled around, most had made their choice, and continued to spend less cautiously.
>>
>>7448235
X7 is a dumpster fire. It’s frustrating to play and not fun.

X8 improves on X7 in every way possible, but still isn’t that great.
>>
>>7448167
4>6>5>3>2>1 for me
>>
I always thought it was weird how you earned the power suits in MM6, and I recently found clues in a magazine that during dev they had meant for the player to start with both armors.

I think that makes a lot more sense. I need to make myself a romhack where you start with both armors since apparently that can't be done with passwords.
>>
>>7448167
4>6>2=3>1>5
>>
>>7448235
To truly understand the virtues and vices of a Game You have to play it.
Do You want to know why X7 is awful or are You content with repeating the opinions of others.
>>
>>7448167
6>4>3>2>5>1
>>
>>7450025
>bought at pawn shops for like $5 - $10 a pop?
I was able to pick up MM2 at a pawn shop for $2.50 but yeah game pricing has gone full retard. Glad I own what I own but boy do I wish I would tracked down more games when they were cheap.
>>
File: 1612599850182.jpg (30 KB, 496x380)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>7448167
original series?
9 > 3 > 2 > 1
i have played some the other NES games at some point, but haven't gravitated to them for some reason. i can buster only these games, though
>>
>>7453914
reverse all of the greater-than symbols and this is perfect
>>
>>7451549
I think I found another further proof that the game was meant to start with both armors.

On the weapons menu, regarding the weapons, the game writes to the PPU the weapons icons and their energy depending on the ones you have. If you don't have any weapon, it writes nothing on the screen.

But regarding the two armor icons at the top of the menu, what it does is hide them (write black tiles on top of them) if you haven't completed Flame Man and Plant Man stages haven't been completed.

Take it like you want but this reverse-system looks like a big clue to me.

Furthermore, those Flame Man and Plant Man stage completion bits are in RAM addresses shared for the BEAT plates of two stages; which looks to me like they may squeezed this stuff into something meant for something else as a way to achieve their goal without too much trouble.
>>
Here's my current list so far
>2
>>7450002
What's the SNES game ryu is playing?
>>
>OCD makes you play all 4 BEAT plate stages twice just to see all the alternate paths and the different background palettes

>>7454170
And if that's still not enough to convince you, let's think about the stages for a minute. At the end of Plant Man, there are a couple of small energy refills that can only be grabbed if you have the Jetpack armor... but you earn the jetpack from beating that stage. At the start of Flame Man, there is a 1up behind a destructible block, but you earn the Power armor from beating that stage...
Would the devs really intend for the player to replay the entire stage just to grab those items? Maybe for the 1up, definitely not for a couple of small energy refills, what's the point to give those for jetpack holders just before the boss when there is no more boss in the stage. Even for the 1up, I don't buy it, if it was an E-Tank I wouldn't complain though.
>>
>>7454229
Rockman & Forte aka Mega Man & Bass. There is a GBA port but it's cropped and has worse musics.
>>
File: 1583379120114.jpg (220 KB, 791x819)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
>>7454238
Cool, I haven't taken an interest in anything outside of classic, X and ZX yet.
I've beat MM2, MMX and now i'm looking to play ZX soon. I'm planning to cycle through each series and I haven't decided if i'm adding any more spin offs yet.
>>
>>7450002
Why does everybody hate Challenger From the Future?
>>
>>7448281
You forgot to include Gane Gear Mega Man. That is true Mega Man hell.
>>
>>7448167
The only truly bad Megaman games are GB Classic II, X7, Megaman BCC, Challenger from the Future, and maybe also SF2.
>>
>>7454907
You're forgetting Rockman&Forte on Wonderswan
>>
>>7448167
>why MM5
Rare, it didn't sell well. People into MegaMan had moved on to SNES and it was good. MM6 is okay, but not as good as MM5. Not sure how common 6 is but I've seen more copies of it than five.
>>
>>7448190
Based
>>
>>7454916
That's "Challenger from the Future".
>>
>>7448167
>Current Loose Price:
>Mega Man - $66
>Mega Man 2 - $23
>Mega Man 3 - $17
>Mega Man 4 - $31
>Mega Man 5 - $105
>Mega Man 6 - $40
for loose carts? lmaoing at you're life, coomlectors
>>
>>7454728
Because it's shit.
>>
>>7454248
I'd recommend playing the Zero games before ZX since ZX is a sequel to that series, but if you don't mind being spoiled on those I'd go ahead and play ZX. It's a fun game.
>>
>>7448167
Never pay more than 3 bucks for a loose cart.
>>
>>7459539
Sorry anon I didn't realize ZX and Zero were two different series. I actually did mean Zero. In my head they were the same thing.
>>
>>7451549
>> I need to make myself a romhack where you start with both armors since apparently that can't be done with passwords.

you can just find out the ram addresses that 'enable' the armour, and then turn that into a gameshark code. you could still patch the rom so you always start with it, but gameshark would be playable on real carts
>>
>>7459649
No, you can't do that, because the RAM addresses are shared with the completion of Flame Man and Plant Man stage. Meaning turning those bits on will also mean the game thinks you've completed the stages.

Anyway I made the hack
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5760/

and I found another proof that they had intended the game to start with the adaptors during dev, and that a lot more level design were designed around them, pic related
>>
File: p77ay8C9r01svsb61o1.png (435 KB, 1280x1644)
435 KB
435 KB PNG
>>7460883
Nice! But I wonder, are the maps like that because Capcom intended to have the adaptors by default, or was it just a consequence of the debugging phase? I mean, the adaptors are analogous to the Rush tools, which you earn throughout other games.
>>
>>7462137
> I mean, the adaptors are analogous to the Rush tools, which you earn throughout other games.

Exactly, but the Rush Tools usually had dedicated weapon get screens. For instance the msg from Light in 2 or the Rush screens in 4. Here, the screen is shared with the "weapon get", just a bit of extra text. This also tells me it was a late addition, quickly added on top of other things.

I believe it's intentional and they intended for the armors to have a bigger place, and the level design was intended to be more "puzzle" oriented and figuring out what to do.
This pic says it all imo >>7460883 since there is no way to clear the screen without using the jetpack. Things like jump distance, and how ceilings hurt that jump distance, are anchored into the level designers on a planning phase, they don't need to test to know how feasible a jump is.

But that screen also tells you how that system could be a bad idea at times, because the casual player *will* try this jump without the jetpack on a first playthrough will inevitably die and have to restart the stage over.

My hunch tells me that they decided that this "puzzle" orientation didn't fit mega man and hurt the pacing. But, the change occured too late, and they patched things up in a way that makes the level design bland at times, the final version of this particular room is a good example of that imo. It may also be linked to how they made the level design easier at times, the early version of the scroll precedessing this room looked slightly more challenging in a good way
>>
File: Mega%26RollMML.jpg (33 KB, 340x453)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>7449182
The water dungeon is easily the worst part of the game. Your mobility gets very limited and slow, and the boss is a running simulator type of fight.

>>7450015
Fuck you.
>>
>>7462241
>>7450015
The water dungeon gave me such a feel of unknown and adventure. It felt like struggle, and actual cave digging/treasure hunting. The harder the navigation, the more satisfying the reward.

When I eventually go back to the surface after, saw the sun again and was able to move normally, it felt so fucking good. I genuinely hadn't had feels like that from a game in a long time, all thanks to the water dungeon.

The first time I played through it, I died on the boss on the way out and had to redo the entire dungeon again. I wasn't even mad.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.