[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: qnltphxbow3catcirbsv.jpg (108 KB, 1807x1196)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
Is one of these worth it or I'm better off playing with a mouse games like HOTD, Virtua Cop, Time Crisis etc. (if it's possible)? It's 100+€ for one. Most lightguns don't work without a CRT and/or sensor bar

I feel like the experience will be too much different and not really make the most out of the games without it.
>>
>>7288946
Never heard of this model but I have an Aimtrack and what you're describing feels similar, but maybe this is better than the Aimtrack.

The Aimtrack is basically like a Wiimote, not exactly like a lightgun. But I've had fun with it, compatible with PC and PS2.

The main issue with it is that once you've calibered it, you better not fucking move one inch when playing. It's best played with games with crosshairs for that reason, but if you get caliber when sitting down and get comfy, it also works well.
>>
>>7288950
Yeah I read that's one of the big problems with these peripherals. This one doesn't need calibration and works out of the box without issue, you can also tilt the gun and it recognizes the direction. I don't know how but it does, without needing a sensor bar. It must be great but it's very expensive.

I'll have to check out aimtracks, and maybe trying the games with the mouse to see how much gimped the experience is.
>>
>>7288961
Even if all the Aimtrack does is move the mouse cursor around, it still feels very different from using a mouse.

If you want to get an idea of what it's like at a cheaper cost, check out guides on how to use Wiimotes for PC; and get of those plastic gun shells for wiimote. That'll be the closest feel gameplay wise, but in terms of grip, weight and hand feel, the Aimtrack is still better than this solution.
>>
>>7288946
lol. no
>>
This thing looks like a really gay meme, that massive fucking border around everything looks really shitty. It's gotta be more practical to just find a crt for free on facebook or something
>>
>>7288950
>Never heard of this model
Basically Sinden uses a 60FPS camera and a program on your PC that plants a customizable border around the edges of the screen. It then tracks for if it's inside that border to operate as a controller-mouse hybrid of sorts, though the guy's working on methods to get it running more natively on old consoles presumably by addons to the plug-in or something. The result is a lightgun that can aim from any angle, work with any display and is accurate/fast enough tracking (supposedly) to not need an aiming reticle on your screen, without the constant need for recalibration.
>>
>>7289035
that sounds a bit better than the aimtrack, on paper at least
>>
Get a Yoba lightgun
>works with Ps1, ps2
>has vibration
>works with GunCon, Konami and other lightgun games
>>
>>7289035
>Basically Sinden is a wiimote
FTFYK
>>
>>7289140
Nothing like a Wiimote outside of the core idea of a camera pointing at a designated area.
>>
>some guy making these in his shed
>£1,500,000+ from crowdfunding

Nice job, lad. I watched some footage of someone on YouTube using one and it had noticeable lag on the cursor but I dunno might be cool
>>
>>7289163
>Nothing like a Wiimote outside of the way it works
lol
>>
Even a simple IR pointer like a wiimote gives a better experience than using a mouse, but that's just me.
>>
>>7289029
The flash when you shoot a light gun is unbearable, no thanks, id rather have the white border
>>
>>7291079
>How Light Sensitivity Affects Those with Autism
>>
>playing lightgun games with a mouse
I found playing Wii "lightgun" games with a Wiimote to be unbearable, can't imagine playing with a mouse. Pretty much seems to defeat the whole purpose.
>>
>>7288946
Do people actually play these games without a lightgun? Get a lightgun, it's insanely fun. Of course it's a world of difference. Did you never play at an arcade? I also played at a friend's house who had one. And it was a mediocre obscure vampire game but still fun as hell.
>>
>>7288946
>>7291364
Oh ok, looks like you're talking about one that works on flat panel. I don't know up to you, but if you don't get it I wouldn't bother with these lightgun games at all then.
>>
>>7291364
Fuck you faggot vampire night is great
>>
anyone try out the open source solutions out there? like JayBee-git GUN4IR
>>
>>7292875
>anyone try out the open source solutions out there?
>like this closed source turd
lol. no. Are you a shill or do you not know what open source means? Also, it's a turd. Anything based on a shitty low resolution IR camera will be.
>>
>>7292945
>shill
nah just a retard wondering if there are any modern display solutions that do not have that wii lag
>>
>>7292995
Fair enough. Making an accurate low lag solution is either going to cost a lot or take some very innovative thinking.
If you use a camera it needs to be able to capture images as fast as possible, certainly faster than the display refresh rate and at a resolution high enough to match the required input resolution based on distance from the screen. This basically means 1080p at 120fps. There's nothing at any sort of reasonable price with that spec.
Then you need to process the information quickly. You're not going to do with with a Pi and certainly not with an arduino. You're going to need a DSP or FPGA if you want any sort of speed. You won't need a yuge one but it's still going to cost a bit
And then you have the inherent latency in the communication between the device and the PC, whether it's BT or USB or whatever. You're never going to get close to actual light gun latency but as long as you get it to about 1ms and get the timing right that's as good as is practically possible emulating on an LCD. You could probably get a large PVM and real light gun for less than the cost of the parts to build something like this.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.