[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: proxy-image.jpg (90 KB, 350x256)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
is this game actually good? what are the best collectathons?
>>
The collecting is a little much but its a good game. Only people meme-ing it sucks are zoomers.
>>
it's a massive cringe inducing failure made by interns while the main dev team was making the Banjo games.
>>
>>7287445
hi homosexual
>>
>>7287379
If you like collecting tokens this is the go-to game. I don't think there is a bigger collectathon than DK64
>>
>>7287460
is it the Dark Souls of collectathons?
>>
My favorite collectathons are Ape Escape 3 and Spyro 1-3. I couldn't get into any of the Rare collectathons.
>>
File: 14649475.jpg (12 KB, 267x181)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>Expecting a scotformer
>It's actually a collectavania

Is there a worse feeling?
>>
>>7287379
I don't really like collectathons, but I enjoy this one. It's probably just nostalgia, but it's a comfy game with lots of charm and soul. The OST is also Kirkhope's best. Also does anyone have the MGS3 edit of this pic?
>>
>>7287484
>Spyro 1-3
should I play original or remake?
>>
>>7287514
You shouldn't play them at all. You should do something productive like robbing banks.
>>
File: 5i2pdm0nxaz11.png (519 KB, 528x529)
519 KB
519 KB PNG
>>7287514
Originals. The remakes are not as colorful and have plastic looking graphics.
>>
>>7287379
People who say it sucks are retarded bandwagoners. It's worse than it could've been, but far from shit.
>>
>>7287417
>>7287547
>Shoot switch that only 1 out of 5 characters can hit to open gate
>walk down hallway
>at the end of the hallway is another gate that a completely different character has to shoot at a target to open for no reason
>backtrack out of the hallway and then even further back to a tag barrel, swap to the correct character, and then go all the way back to that second gate
>all so I can walk down one hallway that connects two parts of the level

>in order to see the final boss and actually finish the game this game aimed at children expects you to beat the original donkey kong arcade game with no continues with a fucking n64 controller. twice, and the second time is harder.

>like banjo your character moves at a very slow pace compared to something like mario 64, but unlike banjo you don't even have the kazooie carrying powerup thing to move faster. to try and make up for this every level has five sets of two way teleporters but only one level (the last level) actually uses them as a reasonable fast travel hub with them all gathered in one area and the other ends spread evenly through the stage. instead they're placed seemingly at random and often wasted on completely stupid shit (like in the water level where one of the five sets is used entirely to get a character who can't fly up onto a high area so he can pick up a few bannas, because they decided each character should have their own color coded collectables nobody but them can even touch

the game has a lot of charm but these things make it bullshit. being able to swap characters at any time and making you move at a less insanely slow pace would make the game a lot less annoying without even changing the games tendency to rehash the same lazy minigames from level to level.
>>
>>7287762
Theres a romhack for that
>>
>>7287526
I like how you show the full game off in the top but only the skybox in the bottom cause you know everything else looks like shit
>>
>>7287493
Not at all.
>>
File: icypeak.png (182 KB, 500x338)
182 KB
182 KB PNG
>>7287853
Not him but lowkey Spyro skyboxes are kino. And I mean if ya say Spyro looks like ass you probably think every other game from this era looks bad too. Spyro looks pretty good for a 3D platformer for the PS1, looks better than Ape Escape at least.
>>
>>7287379
worth playing for the DK Rap alone
>>
File: EveningLakeComparison.png (2.37 MB, 2348x675)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB PNG
>>7287853
>>
>>7287762
>in order to see the final boss and actually finish the game this game aimed at children expects you to beat the original donkey kong arcade game with no continues with a fucking n64 controller. twice, and the second time is harder.
To be fair, you could control Mario with the D-Pad by holding the N64 controller the same way you would when playing Kirby 64 or Mischief Makers. It wasn't that hard.
>>
>>7287379
It had good assets and they did a good job with how the characters move and control for its time but it had the most collecting to do out of all rare collections and was probably the least fun to complete. It would have benefitted it if was more like a regular platformer but if you already played banjo this one is just gonna tire you
>>
>>7287853
My first console was nes but my favorite aesthetic is ps1 and Crash was one of my most played series ever but I always thought Spyro looked dull and bland. I prefer the colors of the original but I think the remaster did a great job and looks better overall and I'm usually in the anti-remaster/soulless camp. They did great on Crash too but I still prefer original.
>>
>>7287968
Huh, looks like the remaster's colors are also pretty good in some areas too, that was the only legit criticism(graphically).
>>
>>7287379
Beat it for the first time last month. It's not a masterpiece and 100%ing it would be a nightmare but it's pretty enjoyable, and worth a play if you like the genre.
>>
If you could move faster this game wouldnt be half as bad as it is.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.