[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: perfectdark-battle.jpg (482 KB, 1280x800)
482 KB
482 KB JPG
Perfect Dark & Goldeneye thread
Been playing them on the 1964 emulator recently and it's been a lot of fun.
Favorite levels?
Favorite weapons?
Favorite gadgets?
Favorite characters?
Discuss.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (91 KB, 1280x720)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
I've always thought the self destruct function for the "Dragon" rifle was funny, although pretty much useless.
>>
Being a kid is loving the Super Dragon.
Being an adult is appreciating the superiority of the K7 Avenger.
>>
File: GECitadel.png (45 KB, 320x240)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
The amount of cut content in these games is insane.
>>
Been playing goldeneye lately, trying to 100% the game for the first time. It's a lot of fun, even with the framerate issues. I'm pretty much fine with the controls now, they aren't as difficult as when I started and I even prefer them to dual stick, simply because I never owned or played dual stick shooters, and thus my right thumb can't work a joystick for shit. Moving on buttons and aiming with my movement-trained left thumb is much easier for me. I also like the ducking and peaking around walls and cover.
>>
should I play Perfect Dark on an emulator or get the 360 version?
>>
>>7281362
I've never played the X360 version, but I don't like the way the remastered graphics look. I feel you would miss out on the real Perfect Dark experience if you played it.
1964 emulator with Perfect dark is free, easy to set up, and lots of fun.
>>
why would I play these games over something like Quake or Doom
>>
>>7281362
>>7281389
agree with this anon, perfect dark doesn't have great artistic merit or anything but they did kind of fuck it up.

I'd map the two n64 controller style to dual analog and play that way. The guard's reaction time is too slow to make sense playing with a mouse.
>>
>>7281505
The n64 color palette supported colors other than brown
>>
>>7281520
>colors
wow amazing anything else?
>>
>>7281521

How about missions that have objectives instead of just braindead shooting?
>>
>>7280941
I always threw them on the spot where the Dragon spawned
I also liked putting Proxy mines on thin walls because they activate based on how close you are, regardless of if there is anything in between you and the mine and the explosions hurt through walls too
My friends hated playing with me
>>
>>7281389
I actually really love the look the remaster went for, but I agree, play the original first.
>>
for me it's the laptop gun
>>
>>7281723
Oh I also really liked the Tranquilizer cause if you shot someone full of it and then killed them, they were still fucked up when they respawned
>>
Frigate > Depot > Surface 1 > Bunker 2 > Train > Archives > Surface 2 > Caverns > everything else >>>>>>>> Jungle
>>
I had Perfect Dark as a kid but never had (or even knew) what the expansion pack thing was. So I played the ever living crap out of Perfect Dark's challenges and the sandbox combat simulator, not even realising that I wasn't playing the full game.

Being that young I honestly had no clue that the content I was dealing with wasn't a substantial full game, because I entertained myself enough with that sandbox mode, and the way the combat challenges were set up, I honestly liked the aesthetic of it and honestly found it believable that THAT was the actual campaign of the game, and the other thing was just a really really really customizable multiplayer thing. Back then I loved playing with bots anyways, it was just as fulfilling a multiplayer experience. I wasn't even 11 years old.
>>
>>7281826
Oh to add to this, I remember thinking it was literally impossible to beat the DarkSims near the end challenges, I discovered myself that they would pick up the Dragon if you deployed it on the ground as a bomb, and that was literally the only way I thought I would be able to kill them. I knew they'd just run around until they had a clue where I was, so I would just hide in a room with a deployed Dragon, then wait til they voluntarily walked into the explosion and also just sprayed bullets (because they always had shields up)

Also, the best gun for me was ALWAYS the K7 Avenger. There was just something about that gun, mostly the sound/firerate, it was just the most satisfying to use. Damn, now looking back Perfect Dark had a lot of cool guns, but I always liked the more 'mundane' ones that had a slight thing special, even more so than the Laptop Gun which was transparently special.

I even liked the Cyclone alternate fire as a kid, even though I knew it probably wasnt any better than just using it normally, it was satisfying as fuck to discharge the mag into a bot as each bullet pushed them back and you'd spray the last third of the mag into their body as the death animation was playing, pushing them into the wall. Fun > practicality
>>
>>7281837
Yes to magazine discharge, also.reaper spin. 1200 wasting a whole magazine. phoenix was a blast. and of course who could forget? proxy pinball grenades? a weapon missing in a lot of shooters now it seems. Maulers, The Farsight sniping people through walls. It was fun but I honestly think the K7 Avanger was sucky, only 25 magazine with the accuracy of the Klobb
>>
>>7280941
>pretty much useless
What the fuck? Sarcasm? Never played through Perfect Agent or the Challenge missions?
>>
File: 1610111735192.gif (603 KB, 320x240)
603 KB
603 KB GIF
How the FUCK do you beat the last challenge mission
>>
>>7281803

Perfect Dark >>>> Anything from Goldeneye
>>
Any mods to use in this for emulators? Like better textures and shit like that.
>>
>>7281334
are you saying this because you are one of the poeple who posted muh controls suck for years?
>>
>>7282019
bizarre. name one fun (i.e replayable over and over) and well designed pd single player level. i can't think of one
>>
>>7281862
Even in single player it has its uses. In the Area 51 levels it basically gives you infinite explosives for setting up traps for the guards.
>>
>>7281872
Double maulers with secondary fire, you one shot the simulants.
>>
>>7282190

Datadyne? Villa? Area 51? There are tons. Just the fact that you got a lot more tools and the NPCs have a lot more going for them already puts this game way above Goldeneye.

It's the same shit as Sonic 2 and 3K. The former is more famous because it's the one people grew up with even though the latter is a much superior game.
>>
>>7281852
Learn to shoot and that accuracy is top notch. That 25 mag is as good as the 30 of the dragon.
I'd spout about the Carrington Assault Rifle. But that thing is the true Klobb of this game. Fucking controlled burst fire is the only way to beat it's fucking firing range challenge.
>>
>>7281389
>detailed head model and texture
>ballhands. On 360
wtf lmao
>>
>>7282190
I wouldnt put it like that, but i think PD missions are more consistent, advance more fluidly in difficulty and feel less repetitive. Some missions in GE feel like a real chore to go through: Surface 2, Bunker 2, Statue and Jungle. The only mission that felt like that in PD for me was Deep Sea: Nulify Threat
>>
>>7280932
How well does 1964 work with fan mods like Goldfinger 64?
>>
>>7280941

If it's a level where enemies have dragons you can pick up another one easily. Now you have proxy mines which are very rare in the game.
>>
File: 800px-MagSec_4_Load.jpg (99 KB, 800x565)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
Is the Magsec 4 the worst gun in the game?
>terrible accuracy
>secondary is useless and burns through ammo unnecessarily
>damage is hardly better than the Falcon 2
>low rate of fire
>>
>>7280932
these games are the epitome of style over substance
>>
File: robocop_gun[1].jpg (114 KB, 700x370)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>7283981

They just wanted to put the Auto-9 in the game.
>>
>>7283989
nice buzzword
>>
>>7281389
i bought 360 version hoping people would play online but it was dead from the start it was pretty disappointing
>>
>>7284157
> a phrase composed of multiple words that's been used for decades is a "buzz word"
lol get me off this rock
>>
>>7284193
you are literally saying nothing about those games.
>>
Its probably blasphemy but the mouse and keyboard injecter is fun. The game is pretty easy now but Dark sims still fuck me up.
>>
>>7283989
In what way? Enlighten us.
>>
>>7282183
no, just commenting since so many people seem allergic to anything that isn't halo controls (or I guess you should say Alien Resurrection) and I find the opposite is true. In fact, it's the main reason I don't play the HD remake; I don't want to use a 360 controller to play the game.
>>
>>7282190
I really liked crash site, because of how nonlinear it was.
>>
>>7281872
camping with maulers, they seems to always follow the same path even when I looked the goldeneye setup editor and they walk over a navigation mesh
>>
>>7283981
I use the secondary at melee range
>>
File: 1587039089228.jpg (112 KB, 1280x720)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>7284430
>>7281515
there is a difficulty called "perfect dark" (nor "perfect agent")
do you even played the game?
I clarify this in every single de/pd thread
>>
>>7285320
>was
so you don't actually play it today. if i talk about a goldeneye level im gonna say 'is' because i enjoy playing them today. i really, really wanted perfect dark to be good. i cut screen shot pictures out of magazines and fucking held them as i went to sleep for months. and then it was a pile of slop with a few cool graphical features that didn't matter because the frame rate was 10 and it wasnt fun to shoot a gun that goes whiiish
>>
perfect dark
>whiss whiss whiss i'm playing a shooter
>>
>story is about a feminist dyke working with a jew and an alien to save a black president and defeat an evil shapeshifting white man
>absolutely riddled with glitches and graphical inconsistencies
>music is a few dozen re-arranged midi effects with half of the OST being sped-up versions of regular tracks
>impressive visuals are ruined by sub-par framerate and lack of detail on characters (blocky models, no facial animations, etc)
>half of the weapons are basically worthless and are completely outclassed by a select few favorites like the farsight
I used to suck this game's dick dry when I first started playing it, but over time I've found an ever-growing list of things to hate about it. At this point my feelings are mixed at best, but I can safely say that it's overrated. I didn't own a copy until like 2008 but thinking back to the shooters I was playing in 2000 like Quake 2/3, I just don't know why you'd want to play this if you had access to a PC.
>>
>>7285864
>>story is about a feminist dyke working with a jew and an alien to save a black president and defeat an evil shapeshifting white man
Imagine being this homo.
>absolutely riddled with glitches and graphical inconsistencies
Such as? PD is notable for being both insanely scope creeped, and very polished.
>music is a few dozen re-arranged midi effects with half of the OST being sped-up versions of regular tracks
The soundtrack is amazing. Literally no bad tracks in the entire thing, and the use of dynamic normal/action variants of each track is brilliant.
>half of the weapons are basically worthless and are completely outclassed by a select few favorites like the farsight
Is this some kind of MP criticism? Regardless, the game's weapon lineup is fantastic, creative, and unique. It's not about how much damage it does. It's about how cool it looks and feels.
>>
>>7285847
>>was
>so you don't actually play it today. if i talk about a goldeneye level im gonna say 'is' because i enjoy playing them today.
What the fuck kind of autism did I just read?
>>
>>7285940
>Imagine being this homo
starting off with an ad hominem to deflect from the overtly SJW story? not a good start.
>PD is notable for being both insanely scope creeped, and very polished.
I don't know what 'scope creeped' is supposed to mean but this game is not polished. characters have no facial animations, ball hands, most levels reuse textures to sickening effect (the villa campaign level uses the carpet texture from the same level for some of the paintings on the walls, lol), many of the characters hands don't match, the sound made when using a stimpak is always female regardless of character, tons of little nagging things like this -- then you get to the actual glitches like the aforementioned Janus bug among many others.
>The soundtrack is amazing.
it's not bad, no, but it's re-arranged MIDI synth effects ad nauseum. plenty of games of the era had a vastly better soundtrack, even other shooters on the N64 such as Forsaken 64 put PD to shame in this regard.
> It's not about how much damage it does. It's about how cool it looks and feels.
spoken like someone who has never played a competitive shooter in their life. i like my weapons cool and well-balanced, thanks.
>>
>>7285940
>>7285864
>I got brainwashed by propaganda to hate stuff i genuinely liked
Many such cases. What an insecure fag
>>
>>7285940
>and defeat an evil shapeshifting white man
you never kill mr blonde
>>7285969
>characters have no facial animations, ball hands
dude, it's a fucking n64 game on a 32mb cartridge
>>
>>7285969
>I don't know what 'scope creeped' is supposed to mean but this game is not polished. characters have no facial animations, ball hands
Neither of these are really flaws. They're artistic decisions, like Solid Snake in MGS1 not having eyes.
>most levels reuse textures to sickening effect (the villa campaign level uses the carpet texture from the same level for some of the paintings on the walls, lol)
The game's art design is very careful, and textures are remixed and recontextualized to great effect.
>many of the characters hands don't match
That's because there are only really three hands. Joanna, James Bond (Mr Blonde), and Elvis.
>the sound made when using a stimpak is always female regardless of character
Eh... I don't think that's a huge issue. It's just a gasp.
>it's not bad, no, but it's re-arranged MIDI synth effects ad nauseum. plenty of games of the era had a vastly better soundtrack, even other shooters on the N64 such as Forsaken 64 put PD to shame in this regard.
Sorry, but Perfect Dark's soundtrack is majestic and holistic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X1_4OaQnos&list=PL561A40AE5860D871&index=6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVg_uf1RYow&list=PL561A40AE5860D871&index=8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=basYIapqh84&list=PL561A40AE5860D871&index=18
The whole OST gels together. Held together by the Carrington Institute lemotif.
>spoken like someone who has never played a competitive shooter in their life. i like my weapons cool and well-balanced, thanks.
Rare outright did not give a shit about balancing, and were open about it, considering it more fun if all the weapons had no consideration for balance. Perfect Dark's MP, which is a whole other affair compared to the far more important SP and co-op, was designed with couches in mind. Good natured fair play.
>>
>>7285987
>dude, it's a fucking n64 game on a 32mb cartridge
Mega Man 64 is a shitty port of a PS1 game and it has facial animations for full voice acting. there is no reason PD couldnt have had such things.
>>
>>7285994
>dude the character's lips not moving is just an artistic decision
LMAO, stopped reading right there. you are retarded.
>>
>>7285969
GoldenEye and Perfect Dark have extremely memorable soundtracks driven by tight beats and strong melodies. Everyone remembers Cradle from GoldenEye, for example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQZLEegUK74
That frantic energy. The countdown. The fact it's a reused melody/riff from the metal band Kirkhope used to be in.
>starting off with an ad hominem to deflect from the overtly SJW story?
What's wrong with the devs being SJWs? (Who made a game about blowing up Space Mecca.)
>>
>>7286000
>there is no reason PD couldnt have had such things
oh yeah, there are reasons like development time and cartridge price
>>
>>7286009
Perfect Dark doesn't have a lot of cutscenes. Intentionally so. They didn't like breaking the first person perspective. The visual makeup of the game isn't significantly impaired by no lip flap given the thing was running at 320x240. Rare games with more of a cutscene focus like Conker had facial animation. Rare prioritized reasonably good looking human face scans over uncanny valley mouth sections. There was nothing stopping them adding a mouth that moved. They just didn't want to because it would have looked inconsistent.
>>
>>7286009
its an n64 game you stupid kid, that was the standard for a console gen were everything was low poly
Turok 3 had some shitty mouth movement and that was incredibly impressive for the time and that game came out at the very end of the console. In MGS they didn't even have eyes
>>
>>7286017
>>7286024
>>7286025
>each post 1 minute apart
lol some assblasted PD autist is having a panic attack tonight. you even slightly changed your typing style to make it seem like you aren't samefagging, cute. god damn what a piece of shit this game is.
>>
>>7285969
how old are you?, be honest
>>
>>7286034
>each post 1 minute apart
>>7286024
>>7286025
>45 seconds apart
are you alf?, you fucking retard
>>
>>7286025
Turok 3 has very good facial animation that becomes inconsistent over the course of the game because the game was crazy rushed. (Chapter 5/5 barely works in builds from weeks before gold master.)

Turok 2 had lip flap, too. Conker had facial animation. GoldenEye and Perfect Dark employ 64x64 face textures, and they tried to pack as much detail into them as they could. They look quite convincing, but they were really pushing things having 5 different random NPC faces plus Joanna and stuff like masked NPCs in each map. So they made compromises. Artistic compromises.

All things considered, the decompilation project will probably be able to add a facial animation system. Just script in different mouth positions when characters are talking, and maybe add some facial expression variants.
>>
>>7286036
>>7286041
lol samefagging again are we
>>
>>7286036
>>7286041
>?,
>?,
Next time you samefag, learn how to punctuate correctly so it isn't obvious that people are talking to the same retard.
>>
File: perfect_dark_gunplay.webm (2.98 MB, 640x480)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB WEBM
>>7281334

+1 for default controls. I genuinely miss them for single player content at least. Well, it's this or a wiimote for me.

Goldeneye/PD should be considered a sub genre of the FPS.
>>
>>7286075
The formula is basically the same as a VR FPS game, and would translate very well.
>>
>>7285864
Dont bother with this retard, he posts this shit in every PD thread.
>>
>>7286000
Yes, the reason is, people want to PLAY video games and not watch cutscenes.
>>
>>7285982
>Many such cases. What an insecure fag
t. has a BBC folder on his Visio laptop
>>
>>7286097
if that were true, Final Fantasy wouldn't exist
>>
>>7286078

You mean, VR FPS formula is basically the same as GE/PD did before. Fair enough. I prefer to play my games on a tv, anyway.
>>
>>7286075
Wow they didn't bother updating the animations from 007.
>>
These games look absolutely vile on modern hires emulators.
Original hardware or nothing.
>>
>>7286613
based reply
>>
They're really good to the point where I feel that we're only seeing a fraction of what the gameplay is capable of. I would love to see a full new PD campaign build around 60fps and mouse controls. You can add guards with high level of accuracy and reaction to compensate.
>>
>>7281389
>pic
I played through the 360 arcade port and it absolutely looked like the left, I've never seen anything that looks like the right. It was just the left but rendered at 1080p and running at 60fps (mostly).
>>
>>7286351

But when will modern fps catch up? 0.5/10 bait made me reply.
>>
>>7286046
here's the fucking guy again wasting god-knows how many people's time talking about turok 3 animation. yeah a fucking cool cutscene plays and then the game boots and its like a shovelware game

Go and play your fucking kojima games if you like talky talky so much, people play ge/pd to run and gun and sneak, dipshit. oh a Cutscene? START START A B Z Z START
>>
>>7287415
Turok 3 is a good game
>>
>>7280932
i would love if said emulator could run other N64 FPS games, mainly Quake 2 N64 and South Park
>>
>>7287062
nevermind, I apparently have brain problems
>>
>>7283981
It's only really bad if you use the burst. Bigger mag than the Falcon 2, slightly faster fire rate, you can burn someone down with it more quickly than with other handguns on average.

The burst only really has any use at near point-blank range in a hit and run scenario where you can reliably put those rounds in someone's head. As soon as you have to fire a second time, burst fire loses any advantage it might've given you.
>>
File: 575496578.jpg (8 KB, 200x200)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>7285864
theres no way this isnt some sad sap looking for attention. nobody can actually think these things about PD.
>no facial animations
its n64...
>>
>>7281505
Do you only play one game of a genre? Doom and Goldeneye don't even play similarly, especially with the missions in Goldeneye.
>>
This is my favorite level, love playing it with cheats
>>
I really wanted that lobby level which is supposed to be like the matrix scene to feel like i was playing some kind of matrix game but it just didn't work
anyone else figure out some setup or settings to approach that map to make it cool
>>
>>7288504
can you elaborate? as far as i remember it's a really annoying repetition of peeking around the corner so you can see some polygons but the ai can't see you
>>
>>7288530
yeah but I said with cheats, you don't have to be careful. Basically play it like you would Doom
>>
>>7281505
Well, imagine you had a game that was far richer in story, mechanics, visual fidelity, soundtrack, character, customization, voice acting, imagination in terms of content and generosity of content, etc. Just all-around better than Doom or Quake. Now imagine that game was hampered by the fact that it plays best using a 20-year-old control scheme that no one could reasonably be expected to learn in 2021. And doesn't enjoy the benefits that a healthy modding community (which the creators of Doom and Quake to their credit were able to foresee) is able to provide, keeping the game alive two decades after release.
That's Perfect Dark.
>>
>>7280941

Nah, theres one mission where you need to push this explosive trolley to blow up a wall. Its a fucking PITA. Instead you can just throw the dragon at it and shoot it.
>>
>>7281389

XBLA. It kills me goldeneye never got the same treatment.
>>
>>7288601
>better mechanics than Doom or Quake
Yeah no. Doom has its immortal enemy design/roster and Quake has its insane movement. What the fuck does PD have that makes it stand out mechanically?
>>
File: perfect-dark.original.jpg (87 KB, 1024x563)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>7288780
>enemy location based hit animations
>weapon variety
>mission objectives
>vehicle use
>interactive environment
>complex npc AI
>gadget use/variety
>unlockable cheats
>enemy variety
>co-op and counter-op gamemodes
>stealth mechanics
I know you're baiting at this point, but I wanted to praise PDs mechanics.
>>
>>7288806
Woah mission objectives. Crazy! Really can see why PD stands out from the rest of the crowd now.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.