[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What sort of snacks and drinks did you get when you went to the Arcade? i always remember this specific watery not-Pepsi and these really bad hot dogs that, while objectively bad, just were the sort of things that leave you wanting more.
>>
File: fliper.png (456 KB, 560x376)
456 KB
456 KB PNG
Arcades in my country were really dangerous places, so I never even thought about bringing stuff. I just brought enough money for the coins and that was it.

There was this time when some dudes went into the room where the owner lived with his family, and shot his brother in the hand. Shit was wild.
>>
>>7279049
Image is weird. Where is everyone? Gives survival horror vibes along with the generic-ness of the name.
>>
>>7279073
Places exist outside of operating hours you know.
>>
File: Snack%20Area.jpg (77 KB, 640x480)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>7279073
It's the Hot Wheels Skate Center.
>>
>>7279072
South America?
>>
>>7279049
Nachos, corndogs, and Icees were the things I generally went for.
>>
>>7279049
One of the arcades i frequently went to, gave out coffee and cookies for free. So during the day i lived of coffee & cookies.
>>
>>7279140
Sounds like a nice place. I was too young to really go for the proper 80s/90s arcade experience, but I once lived near this arcade where you could pay to enter and go in. The only place that delivered there was shitty pizza and there were no fast food places nearby. There was however a supermarket and we could bring food in, so we'd buy backs of those onion crisp starch snack things, bacon bits and other random rubbish along with weird pop and then just gorge ourselves on it over the course of the day, before finishing with the aforementioned shitty pizza. I've no idea how the hell it managed to find such a dead zone of delivery and fast food in such a big city, but it did.
>>
>>7279049
>hotdog drinks
Do Americans really?
>>
>>7279106
>lit up like it's open for business
>unstaffed/unpatronized
>SNACK ESCAPE Silent Hill mall tier name
Nah, not taking it back.
>>
>>7279158
Here's a pic of it in operation.

>>7279113

But seriously, you don't think that a cheap arcade/skate rink sort of place wouldn't take a photo of an amenity and do so to show it off without a crowd milling around? If that legitimately creeps you out, you've got some mental issues.
>>
>>7279142
Yeah, was comfy and magical. I miss arcades like hell.
>>
>>7279163
Ah chill out. It just seems like a place you'd see in a 5th gen horror game or some indie one now, that's all I'm saying.
>>
>>7279168
Alright, alright, fair enough.
>>
>>7279124
Brazil. We knew arcades as the machines themselves, not the "place". We did have those, but they were in shopping malls or play centers. Otherwise, 99% of the machines were in bars (the shitheap kind), and that attracted all kinds of people. I remember when the Tekken 3 machine came here, and the drunks at the bar copied the movements.

Imagine you're 9 years old, and the only place to play some Street Fighter II Turbo was in one of those bars straight out of a 1990 movie where biker gangs like to hang out. That kind of magical place.
>>
>>7279230
I'd love to see those Brazilian Eddie larping videos.
>>
My mother never brought carbonated drinks home so I never knew it was a thing. When I went to the arcade with a friend's family once I got a "Sprite" and took one sip and spit it across the room. I had no idea why the fuck it was fizzing and bubbling up around my mouth.
>>
The miniature golf / arcade had something similar to what you would find at a movie theater. If I was super desperate and not ready to go back home, I'd get cheese nachos and a drink. You weren't allowed to take drinks into the arcade area though.
>>
>>7279049
>>
>>7279049
I was at the roller skating rink/arcade.
>>
File: 1557783607821.png (340 KB, 640x480)
340 KB
340 KB PNG
>Seeing this thread lead me to finding out that the roller rink/arcade I went to often as a kid got burnt down beyond repair over a year ago
I mostly remember getting some pop, chips and a slice of pizza combo, i'd sometimes snacks like nachos or popcorn
Thinking back, i don't think I really played the arcade games that much, I mostly just fucked around with the controls while the autodemo played
>>
>>7279430
I think everyone did that at some point. I remember spending a good twenty minutes being enthralled by Raiden Fighters 2 Operation Hell Dive.
>>
>>7279430

¿Quién pa unas retas saliendo? El que use a rugal es joto.
>>
>>7279482
What the devil is that? Looks like instant ramen on top of tortilla chips.
>>
>>7279049
Beer in a water bottle. Told anyone asked it was just water. A black kid from the other part of town did the same with some kind of sweet booze. Think it was fruit mooshine. Good times.
>>
>>7279493

fuck loads of shredded mexican cheese and not so spicy salsa on top of tortilla chips with a dash of lime juice.

Mexican delicatessen.
>>
>>7279552
Sounds good but how the fuck are you supposed to eat it from a bag like that without your hands getting covered in slop?
>>
>>7279049
Can't remember ever seeing snacks and drinks in an arcade. Are you faggots really such lardass gluttons that you can't go a few minutes without stuffing your faces?
>>
>>7279697
>Waaah how dare people enjoy junk food or a drink while going out for a good time! Anyone who dares to have a snack during hours of gaming is a fatty lardo!

Your self-flagellation and your undserved sense of superiority from claiming to abstain from snacks is neither stoic, nor quirky. Having a hot dog, a coke or some popcorn or whatever isn't going to make you obese. You neo-puritan bastards are incredibly annoying. I don't know whether you're a leftie or a rightie, but be a good chap and fuck off regardless, okay? I've had enough of you, either on /tg/ or elsewhere. And before you say anything stupid again, no, it's not an American thing, people all over the world from Japan to Britain to Italy to Argentina will have snacks or junk food as a treat when out and about with friends or doing some leisure activity. Now either hide this thread if it offends you, fuck off back to /v/, or more preferably, get off 4chan, you joyless ball of seething anti-'degeneracy' and delusional misunderstanding of reality.
>>
File: hero_00006.jpg (143 KB, 1280x545)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>7279697
It's pretty common. The only time I've seen arcades not have a snack or drinks vendor of somekind is when they're either very small or those seaside amusement ones. Hell, even smaller ones will sell you canned drinks and crisps.
>>
>>7279631

you're supposed to, or you could push it from the bottom. idk man, get creative.
>>
I didn’t have money for snacks. The only time i ate at arcades was for pizza parties at friend’s birthdays.
>>
File: 1610185866351.png (1.47 MB, 897x900)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB PNG
the pizza at the roller rink was really mediocre but it made us so happy to eat it with friends
>>
>>7279748
Holy shit look at this lardass fuckboi seethe. I must have really hit a nerve there. The truth hurts. But probably not as much as the massive coronary you're going to have by the time you're 30.

>>7279759
That's pretty disgusting. It's also pretty sad because it means that all these faggots going to arcades to experience how it was in the good old days are just getting a pale imitation McExperience that's nothing like it was back in the day. But hey. All the hotdogs you can drink. Can't go wrong there.
>>
File: 1610331782245.png (286 KB, 645x597)
286 KB
286 KB PNG
>>7279230
> I remember when the Tekken 3 machine came here, and the drunks at the bar copied the movements.
>>
>>7280290
>I didn’t have money for snacks. The only time i ate at arcades was for pizza parties at friend’s birthdays
Oh, hello repressed childhood memories.
>>
>>7279072
>Arcades in my country were really dangerous places
I think everywhere Arcades were hotspots for drug dealing. Was the same here.

But americans have chuck-e-cheese and very family friendly franchises that had arcades. Here there were a couple of safer arcades at the mall who were a bit pricier but none had any food inside them. You could just buy popcorn or and whatever on a kiosk at the mall
>>
>>7279049
nostalgia is not retro
>>
>>7281824
Thinking about it there was ONE i remember had food stand but it was terrible and it was mostly terrible hot dogs they served. It was aso a smelly low class one where the arcades would often be broken by brown people, never did like that one but it the only one that had the simpsons arcade game and a couple others that were not in the nicer mall arcades
>>
>>7279148
t. gay ESL or epic troll. Which is it?
>>
File: download_1.jpg (81 KB, 640x523)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
you eyeballing me bruv?
>>
>>7279049
Our arcade was in the mall, so we usually got Chinese food or pizza
>>
>>7281830
Fuck you. Yes it is
>>
File: PeppPizza_600.jpg (130 KB, 600x400)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>7280636
People who say little caesars taste like cardboard never had that roller skate pizza.
>>
>>7281879
Is that an arcade game, or a crime in progress?
>>
>>7281536
Kill yourself faggot
>>
>>7281794
Why is it repressed? I was merely answering the question, It wasn’t a problem or anything.
>>
>>7282529
Noble Roman was and is the "shitty roller skate pizza" where I live. honestly? love eating pizza when I'm at the roller rink. When I was in middle school, that was still the place to hang out at--wonder if it'll be the same in a few years when my son is the same age. honestly I'd go to the roller rink right now if I cloud
>>
>>7279049
My local arcade still is working well, and another one opened up last year.
First one i get a cheesesteak, fries, and a drink.
Second one doesn’t have any food but it has byob.
>>
>>7283178
I was referring to myself
>>
>>7279049
Gobstoppers and nerds. Good stuff.
>>
>>7279049
Ours was next to the best coffee shop in town
So I'd get loaded on caffeine, play DDR or Area 51, and have a cigarette
>>
>>7283169
Ironically you're the one who's killing yourself by shoveling lard into your pie hole 24/7
>>
>>7283169
Stop feeding him, dumbass.
>>
>>7279113
Looks comfy. How old is the picture?
>>
>>7279140
That sounds awesome. I knew a place that gave out free popcorn - it was an arcade inside a bar and grill, so you could get lunch as well.

>>7279142
Eating shitty pizza after a day at the arcade or whatever is goddamn delightful. I ate so much of that stuff with my friends as a kid.
>>
Arcades I went to never really had food to buy, though the food court or supermarket were just around the corner. Having some McDonalds or pizza or whatever after playing a lot of DDR was the best feeling.
>>
File: selfie.jpg (31 KB, 640x478)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>7285219
I'm not feeding him. I'm feeding myself. 24/7. I just can't stop. Instagram says I'm healthy and beautiful and should eat as much as I want.
>>
As a kid when going to the mall arcade i would go to this place called Corn Dog 7 that made fresh dipped dogs and hand cut fries. Either that or a personal pan from Pizza Hut
>>
>>7283124
Why not both?
>>
Good ol' hot dog and a soda. I can smell the grocery store sausages thinking about it.
>>
>>7281536
But arcades had snack bars back in the 80s.
>>
>>7279230
My cousin was hit by two bullets in an arcade shootout. He was 13. He survived.
His mom always asked him not to go to the arcades but he was addicted to The King of Fighters.
That place was a haven for scum and villainy, even the kids were mostly already petty criminals, I warned him many times, he was a dumb, innocent kid who lived in a bad neighborhood. He's an engineer and a father now.
The one I frequented as a kid myself in the 90's had gambling machines as well and drunk adults would gamble and smoke cigarretes while we played, some kids would gamble too but for me gaming money was too precious to waste on gambling machines.
The owner of that place still has a cheap fast food place today I go sometimes but no games or gambling anymore.
>>
>>7286053
Why did this happen? Arcades in Japan, while some were definitely a bit scummy, weren't out right dens of sin and villainy. How come they became seedy places practically everywhere else in the world?
>>
>>7286063
jews and niggers, literally
>>
>>7279049
Burger van was always situated outside. Usually had either a quarter pounder, hotdog, bag of giant onion rings, chips, kebab, battered sausage, giant spring roll, or a huge battered turkey burger. Washed it down with Coke, Irn Bru, Sunkist, Dr. Pepper, or cider.
>>
>>7286085
Good stuff, I can taste those shitty burger van burgers already, and that knock-off generic ketchup as well.
>>
>>7279230
>>7286053
i am on South America too.
The arcades i used to visit didn't have bars but were still definitely seedy places.

>>7286063
>How come they became seedy places practically everywhere else in the world?
Lots of drug dealing, think about it, is already a place that attracts loitering teenagers, they were also noisy and some were pretty dimly lit. It was easy for dealers to push their stuff either inside the place or nearby.

It also depended on the area, in my city there were a few arcades who were very clean and safe but they were also more expensive and they didn't always carry the edgier machines. In
the seedier ones you would definitely get approached if you spent enought time there alone, to push you something or see if you were a narc.

I had a really close friend who was the nicest kid, his mom was also a really nice lady but unfortunately his dad was a deadbeat scumbag, one time i was hanging with him on one of the days he was staying with his dad and he drove us us to an arcade but later you could see the douchebag scoring dope with the usual dealers that hanged around the place, the only reason he gave us a ride. What an embarrassing shitbag, i felt bad for my friend.
>>
File: 1609820520619.jpg (82 KB, 663x538)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>7286063
The arcades didn't became seedy places, the seedy places where criminals congregated adopted the arcade machines, like they had adopted billiard tables before.
>>
>>7286103
Meowdy!
>>
>>7286103
Something like that ,I think the business wasn't even that profitable unless the owners were also hustling on the side. Many of the smaller arcades i visited must have been owned by some criminal just to have a front, i have no doubt about that.
>>
>>7286128
Arcades were fantastic for money laundering because it was a cash only business that had varying degrees of income and cash flow. Put some fancy machines in there and just point to them and say that's where the money comes from. In the meantime, you're taking dirty money from all sorts of sources, and it doesn't even matter if the machines even work properly as long as you can get enough brats and others in to make it look like it's busy.
>>
>>7286028
You mean there were two arcade back in the 80's that had snack bars? Maybe. But I'm pretty sure you weren't around back then. If you were you'd know it wasn't common. Protip: chuck e cheese isn't a snack bar. Or an arcade.
>>
File: Lindomar_Turbo.jpg (51 KB, 300x305)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>7279238
This prehistoric brazilian meme most certainly spent many hours in an arcade learning martial arts
>>
>>7286374
O Sub Zero brasileiro.
>>
>>7286328
There were tons of arcades that had snack bars, even if it was just a hot dog roller or a popcorn machine or a drinks fountain shoved into the kiosk.
>>
I missed the arcade heyday and only got to experience the tail-end of arcades in malls and stuff, though most of them were Alladdin's Castle or whatever. Do hotels still have game rooms, I wonder? I remember being a kid and seemingly every hotel had a little mini-arcade in it.
>>
>>7279430
Sad, probably someone torched it for insurance too.
>>
>>7279430
RIP, sorry to hear it. my local roller rink is still around but our arcade, which was the oldest arcade in the state, is gone now. They just tore it down last year. The basement in there was incredible, tons of weird machines I had never seen or heard of before stretching all the way back to the early 70s. My brother tried to get them to part with a badly water-damaged Golly Ghost but those faggot retards still wouldn't let us buy it. Whatever. It's all garbage now.
>>
>>7286394
>even if it was a vending machine across the street
Sorry kiddo. Youtube lied to you. Maybe there actually was a popcorn machine in the two arcades the youtubers dad ever visited in Mexico or whatever but food in arcades wasn't a thing anywhere the owner gave a shit about his machines.
>>
>>7286846
Why are you so insistent on shitposting on this regard when it was very common throughout the world for arcades to sell some food and drink? Or that people would have some snacks and drinks when they were playing arcade games? It's such an odd thing to latch onto for your random /v/ spergout. What's the matter with you?
>>
Society
>>
>These arcade games are fun, but it's now 4:00! You know what that means!
>*puts on rollerskates*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9s9t54Xwo8
>>
>>7281879
man that reminds me to those horrid scary russian arcades from the 60s someone posted eons ago.
>>
Ricos nachos, ricos nachos everywhere.
>>
>>7286103
meowdy
>>
>>7286848
Projecting pretty hard there kiddo. You're to one shitposting, pretending you know how arcades were in the 80's when you weren't even born yet.
>>
>>7287934
i can't find anything on russian arcades from the 60s. are you sure they weren't machines from the 70s/80s like pic related?
>>
>>7286103
Yee-claw!
>>
Did snk ever officially export the metal slug 3 cabinets? I live in south america and i distinctly remember having played said game on a legit cabinet (no MAME shit) back in 99', it even had a shitty spanish translation. There was also a darkstalkers machine, but that one said "night warriors" on it and huitzil was called "phobos" so it was 100% exported by the owner of said mall.
>>
>>7289132
*imported
>>
> Eating while playing video games

Do Americans really
>>
File: mvs.jpg (131 KB, 640x299)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
>>7289132
Every SNK machine used MVS, the only thing they switched was the cartridge with the game. That's why SNK games were so popular in South America - they didn't need to get a whole new machine when the game came out. Just take the old cartridge out, put the new one in.

I don't have any comparison pics here, but an MVS cartridge is bigger than your hand.
>>
>>7289132
There's a ton of differences between Darkstalkers versions, but the main one is: the japanese one is "Vampire: The Night Warriors" while the american one is "Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors".
If the robot was named Phobos, then you had the japanese version.

(Now, don't even think about looking up the differences between versions of D2 and D3)
>>
File: gall1.jpg (92 KB, 853x480)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>ywn get Perry's Pizza and play Pacman at the Time Out arcade in the Sherman Oaks Galleria
why fuckin live?
>>
>>7288892
Eh, yeah one of those.

>>7287994
Ugh, i remember most places who served nachos in mexico, they were nasty because of the chips, they didnt became berable until the 2000s
>>
File: 20210115_120423.jpg (206 KB, 1920x1080)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
>>7289157
>i have little trump hands
lol. what a faggot. In reality they're about the size of a manly hand. Here's a pic for comparison.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.