[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 56 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (957 KB, 706x610)
957 KB
957 KB PNG
What level of Battletoads filtered you?
>>
>>7277709
Level 4 - GB
>>
>>7277709
SNES Battletoads is much harder than NES.
>>
I've beaten the Sega Genesis port about a year ago (I know it's easier)
I just played the NES version earlier today after not having played it for months and I got filtered by Surf City. My reaction time is ass.
>>
General Slaughter got me. It was too long since I played and I forgot how to adjust to his speed up. I failed to complete my run.
>>
9. Terra Tubes was just too unholy with too much bullshit to it. No level before it was even close to as frustrating, to me.
>>
>>7277727
Are you talking about Battlemaniacs, the trimmed down and much easier rendition of the game? I can beat it and Battletoads & Double Dragon easily, and still can't beat NES Battletoads.
>>
>>7277709
i still haven't beaten it desu
>>
>>7277904
I'm the other way round. Always found NES Battletoads easier thanks to warps.
>>
>>7278005
Every stage that you skip with warps except level 2 isn't even in Battlemaniacs. You can skip from 1 to 3, 3 to 5 (4 isn't in it), 4 to 6 (5 isn't in it), and 6 to 8 (7 isn't in it). And level 2 made NES Battletoads easier if you played through it instead of skipping because you could rack up tons of lives.
>>
I can't even beat Rat Race with savestates
>>
>>7278005
No shit you find the game easier, you're skipping half of it
>>
Rat Race
Or Volkmire's Inferno, which I just skip.
>>
>>7277727
No its not
>>
>>7278295
>>7278584
All the people complaining here that its too hard should be using warps.
>>
>>7277709
I think Rat Race was the one that took me the longest to get the hang of. I just couldn't see a way of clearing the third race the first few (dozen) times I got there, and even today it still takes luck for me to get to the last zapping trap at the appropriate moment.
>>
The ridiculous difficulty and design choices of games like Battletoads constitute objectively bad game design.
>>
>>7278938
It's not as hard as you think.
>>
>>7277709
Clinger Winger
>>
>>7277709
The one with the ducks and sharks
>>
>>7277709
I could clear the snake pits, it was that fucking wall racer segment that kicked my ass most of the time. But FUCK Scuzz.
>>
>>7278938
Sure, but the game also had an incredible level of gameplay variety to it and graphical + audio excellence that barely anything on NES would match.
>>
>>7278938
This is an objectively bad post.
>>
>>7279343
It's a fun game, but I'm glad the "gameplay sampler" approach isn't a thing anymore. It's got lots of fun ideas that could have been built on but instead half the levels are basically crappy filler
>>
File: btdd.png (7 KB, 505x444)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
The asteroids level in Battletoads/Double Dragon filters me way harder than anything in the original.
>>
Farthest I've gotten is the snake pit, if my game genie ever worked with the NES I could practice with infinite lives, but fuck it. Limited lives is really the only barrier.
>>
File: 44353.jpg (12 KB, 192x192)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>7278938
my wife's son says that this frog 'n' jog has artificial difficulty. now that the dust has settled, can we all agree?
>>
>>7279346
Unfortunately, all the zoomers think like this.
>>
Objectively bad game made of gimmicky stage half of that isn't even fun to play. Same for EJW.
t. completed NES version like month age
>>
>>7277709
Unfortunately rat race got me. I wish i wouldnt have gotten that far just to discover i dont have the will to beat it. I watched a friend get to the final level first try, anf after years ive still to beat rat race (the legitimate way).
>>
>>7279634
The last 3 levels are pretty much the ultimate filter. Even if you did the insane 3rd phase, something else would've ate your continues. It's a bitch of a game to complete.
>>
>>7280364
Its not as much that they are tough leves -which the are- but the fact that you wont get there with more of a handful of lives the first few times. They just mow you down without much margin to actually get basically aquainted with the concept and hazards
>>
>>7280401
Incorrect. The 3rd phase of Rat Race is definitely on the more difficult side. If you focus really hard and have solid hand-eye coordination you'll be able to do it in a few tries. Else you'll need muscle memory.
Then comes Clinger Winger which is a total wild card depending on your input delay.
>>
>>7280401
Which is to say I do agree sparse lives play a role, but I've seen enough people savestate for 30+ minutes on Clinger Winger. It's a genuinely tough stage.
>>
>>7277709

I don't think I ever got past the Gargantua ducts level when warping. I don't think I ever got past Volkmire's Inferno when not warping. One day I'll probably buckle down and practice until I can finish the game though. Preferably without warps.
>>
Well shit, even based arcus is playing battletoads

Guess it's time to replay the game
>>
Charlie Brown-ing a bomb in Rat Race is devastating.
>>
File: hell yes.png (18 KB, 610x473)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
Jesus, this was clutch as fuck

Just finished playing without warps. Haven't played in years. Started after posting >>7280510

I thought I was gonna style on this game but lost a few lives in every stage after Volkmire's Inferno

No deaths in clinger winger

Continue'd in revolution. Kept getting my shit pushed in by hornheads, clouds, and all kinds of trampolines

2 continues later I finally got to the absolute cocksucker the windblowing cloud that pushes you off

I fucking made it somehow

Queen didn't have shit on me despite being on the last continue.

I was so hyped she even destroyed me while tornadoing away, but I had one spare life.

Goddamn. That was fun.
>>
Battlemaniacs is actually pretty good training wheels to take on the NES game if it's filtering you too hard to start with.

It even has a Clinger Winger and Rat Race, now with bomb ass tunes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkItByffUTw
>>
>>7281041
>Battlemaniacs
>training for the NES version
It's a cool game, but can't see how, it's too different. The NTSC J version on the other hand is basically the same game only with the bullshit scaled down (was even featured on GCCX)
>>
>>7277709
I've gotten pretty good at every stage in the game by now except Volkmire's Inferno. That last laser is bullshit. That's the part that can break a run for me.
>>
>>7282451
It's easier if you dodge at the front.
>>
>>7280729
Please dont do that
>>
>>7282451
It's just a dumb memorization level. When I go for a casual run I usually use the Snake level warp; that one is fun the first couple of times but a drag once you've mastered it.
>>
>>7278149
>>7278616
>>7279634
>>7280534

I wonder how the fuck did anybody discover the warp (glitch?) in Rat Race. I think only managed to pull it off once
>>
Does beating it via Rare Replay count?
>>
>>7283387
If you don't savescum sure. But you *did* savescum didnt you
>>
>>7283402
Save scum and using rewind
>>
>>7283427
That's barely "playing" the game at all
>>
>>7283345
>how did anybody discover the warp
TAS makers obsess over game's logic and find weird shit basically.
>>
>>7283387
It doesn't. You are meant to learn how to crow farm 1 ups in the level where you rappel down the hole. Then you are supposed to arduously memorize every devastating insta-death spot with limited leeway, which means you'd have to start the game over a dozen+ times and pull own hair out as you discovered more and more ridiculously cheese enemies and traps. Going for the warps is cheating because you shouldn't know about them.
It would take you 20+ hours to beat this game without savestates and looking shit up. Battletoads is no fucking joke.
>>
>>7283345
If you're playing with 2 players you probably got really fucking frustrated at this level and were jumping around trying to figure ANYTHING out or just trying to leave your 2P behind while they were fucking around or sucking. This level is ungodly difficult with 2P even moreso than the other levels that required synchronized obstacle hopping, because you have to be in synch like those but with double-tap running every platform AND attack the rat during the race without hitting each other, so you couldn't even be too close.
>>
>>7284348
The warps on level 1 and 3 are in plain view. The snake level's warp seems obtuse but you'd actually find it if you realized something about the area that would make it easier: there's standable surface down in the bottom right of that area that you'd pass on previous attempts, which, after you know about it, makes sense to jump to. You're just waiting for the snake to come out of there, so there's no sense riding around instead of waiting somewhere stationary. Jumping there right away then reveals the warp.
>>
Clinger Winger isn't possible.
>>
>>7285021
First time I beat it I was so shocked I had to fight the damn thing.
>>
>>7285021
Pause on every turn and it's simple.
>>7284348
Waste of time. Warp as often as possible and grind out the harder levels until you have them memorised.
>>
>>7285021
Least the arrows tell you what you're supposed to do. The Battlemaniacs one didn't communicate shit.
>>
>>7285021
Input delay is your enemy. You have to press ahead of time
>>
>>7284994
>The snake level's warp seems obtuse but you'd actually find it if you realized something
>if you realized something
>rationalizing after watching a walkthrough
You wouldn't realize shit kiddo. It takes a leap of faith with good timing to find it out.
>>
>>7285162
>Warp as often as possible
1. skipping wookie hole means you have less attempts at the actual hard parts
2. only the turbo tunnel warp is easily discernible, which means you have to do full snake level every go and the following one
3. don't talk as if you played the game blind, you cheated by looking shit up
>>
>>7285369
Kids figured it out. Ice level warp is more difficult to find.
>>
>>7285369
I literally walked you through the process of how you could discover it by deciding to play the area more efficiently after going through it once, and you snipped a piece out of it to form a completely alien context around to feel right about something. Good job you fucking idiot.
>>
>>7285379
>3. don't talk as if you played the game blind, you cheated by looking shit up
I only ever got to play NES Battletoads at a friends. Never had to look up a thing. If you want to talk about difficult cryptic games try Terminator on master system.
>>
File: file.png (1.41 MB, 700x1000)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB PNG
This is the only good version of battle toads because it's not by euroids.
>>
>>7285418
It's slightly different from NES Battletoads. Better than SNES Battletoads but play the original NES if you are able to.
>>
I finished Battletoads back in the days. Practiced a lot with a game genie and infinite lives. And it really was fucking rat race that kept me filtered the longuest.
This game is just a very elaborate troll anyway.
>>
>>7285418
>8-bit system game released for a 16-bit system 2 years later
>barely any positive gameplay changes
>main character sprites are barely touched up
>only the first 3 levels have notable graphical upgrades since they didn't expect anybody who didn't buy it to get much further

It was basically a scam.
>>
>>7285397
>deciding to play the area more efficiently
It's an autoscrolling snake, you tremendous dickhead. You only need one glance to notice there's zero reason whatsoever to attempt leaps of faith from that platform.
The "process" you invented in your mind only works because you know the solution, you cheating cretin.
>>
>>7285691
>there's zero reason whatsoever to attempt leaps of faith
It's not an auto scrolling level so it makes sense people would explore.
>>
Can we finally settle this: IS Battletoads actually a good game or is it carried by its visuals?
>>
>>7285717
It's the best game Rare ever made and easily top 3 on the NES.
>>
>>7285717
It's got enough misguided design decisions for it being a legit good game to be arguable, but it's definitely a fun game with really great segments beyond the simply technical side (which IS great too)
>>
>>7285696
Ah, yes, the ultimate logic oriented decision making: explore by risking precious lives to get to a location you'd have gotten all the same and be forced to wait for the object to arrive anyway.
You are an idiot.
>>
>>7285748
Donkey Kong Country would have you making blind jumps to get secret barrels. Rare is known for this. Get a clue.
>>
>>7277709

Snakes. I could get to the level without dying and STILL couldn't beat the piece of shit, and this was on a PAL nes too. Cant imagine clearing it on a fucking ntsc console thats faster.
>>
>>7285748
The very first warp is discovered by killing the first enemies quickly. This should program you to explore every area differently.
>>
am i a fake gamer if i play this game with save states
>>
>>7285770
In a way. But it should help you with clearing it legit if you do decide to go back.
>>
>>7285756
>beat different game to understand cryptic design
Only a retard would defend this.
>>7285765
That's a comparison a moron would make. There is a multitude of problems related to the leap of faith. Mechanically you aren't even assured the gap can be closed. There's no incentive to search for it, and the previously introduced pattern doesn't match (make warp noticeable at a cost of a challenge: defeat bad guys quicky, memorize the timing for the speed bike).
The truth is that warp was obscured to get you to buy a guide.
>>
>>7285717

Its a good game that's almost unplayable due to difficulty.
>>
>>7285823
>Only a retard would defend this.
It's the same idea carried over by the same company. In Mario you can skip some levels by running/flying over them. This carries over from 1 up until World.
>Mechanically you aren't even assured the gap can be closed.
Have you played Battletoads? Once you've completed that snake level you know you can just run and jump down there to wait on future clears. And even if we ignore the warp there are parts you can skip by jumping for the exits early. None of this is complex. On the 8th level its also a lot easier if you manage to hold onto the stick the entire way. Or that you can die and cross finish lines at the same time. You don't need a guide to figure any of this out. Like I said try Terminator on Master System if you want an overly difficult game.
>>
>>7285871
>Have you played Battletoads?
I didn't just play, I beat it without the use of walkthroughs and other smart aleck nonsense. And I'm telling you, there's absolutely no reason to make a huge dive to the side when simply dropping down and holding left will get you over alive 100% of the time.
Moreso you wouldn't even get the idea to try to do that because you still have to wait for the snake to reappear. You would gain absolutely nothing from adding a worthless strategy that might lose you precious live.
Only a completely arrogant dickhead would actually defend such atrocious design made solely to enable sales of guides.
>>
>>7285957
>there's absolutely no reason
Dashing right will also get you over there alive. Only a noob would play the game the exact same way every playthrough knowing there are hidden secrets. And I don't know how anyone could beat Battletoads and not figure out snakes can be ridden differently from how it was intended.
>Only a completely arrogant dickhead would actually defend such atrocious design made solely to enable sales of guides.
What do you have against guides? Only rich kids could afford those.
>>
>>7285857
Theres a thing called gitting gud maybe u should look into it
>>
>>7285571
>it's the same game, but better
>and programmed by arcsys
>>
>>7277709
>Game softlocks on most levels
Sadly it would be a great game without the bugs.
>>
>>7286383
Elaborate
>>
I'll be honest. I didn't play battletoads and never cared.
>>
>>7286383
You autolose on *one* very late level in 2P only as a bug, since the second player's clinger winger doesn't go. It's not under ANY circumstances a softlock, you can just beat the level as 1P once 2P runs out of lives and chooses not to continue, and then have 2P rejoin for the next level.
>>
>>7278938
at the same time literally nobody would ever have remembered battletoads, a shitty attempt to cash in on the ninja turtles that crashed and burned, if it wasn't for how comically challenging and how eagre it was to swap from one half tested gameplay style to another, to justify them making a new game like 20 years later

it would just be one of a dozen forgettable nes games where some cartoon runs and jumps on things
>>
File: MUH DIVIDENDS.jpg (89 KB, 542x523)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
I can beat each level individually, but for some reason I get filtered playing the entire game from start to finish. idk wtf that's about
>>
>>7287797
JRPG syndrome. You were trained to suck.
>>
>>7287776
Its noticed by many people now because of the incredible graphical effects like parallax scrolling and generally impressive graphics far beyond other nes games.
>>
>>7287776
There's plenty of easier retro games remembered for a myriad of reasons.
>>
Battletoads
>>
>>7277709
Volkmire's Inferno
>>
>>7277709
Exactly pic related
>>
>>7277709
clinger
fucking
winger
>>
>>7287776
it was a really gorgeous NES game imo
had a lot of stuff in it graphically that the hardware couldnt technically even do
>>
>>7290061
It's unironically not that hard. Once you get it, you permanently get it. The problem is getting there enough times and with enough lives to get to get it
>>
>>7290324
Words of truth. I can't even express how much more nerve wracking the risk of failing to hit a bomb is or falling off a platform in the last stage. Meanwhile clinger winger is unlosable once you get the basic gist.
>>
>>7278005
If you use warps then what is the point of playing the game? You get to the ending with tons of levels unplayed.
>>
>>7287920
Can you explain more what you mean?
>>
>>7291301
Do u clear every single level when playing Super Mario Bros?
>>
>>7291432
Yes. What's the point of playing to skip content? Unless some stages are specifically not fun to play, you have no reason not to enjoy them.
>>
>>7280729
Nice work anon!
>>
>>7280729
>that shit filter
cringe
>>
>>7291490
>composite NTSC for that CRT feel
>somehow bad
Hello zoom
>>
>>7291316
What's confusing about the meaning? Jarpig players are taught to have 0 consistency because you can either save at any time or run from encounters which are devoid of mechanical skill anyway. The design is also excruciatingly bland and most of the game consists of uncreative repetition with a very slow, turn-based system which is also simplistic.
It is arguably the most braindead genre to exists and its playerbase consists of awkward weirdos who for all intents and purposes are mentally and physically stunted.
>>
>>7291301
>If you use warps then what is the point of playing the game?
i usually use warps when i dont have much time left to play, but still want to get far
for battletoads in particular its especially helpful, as the retarded amount of widely varying gameplay styles mean that one may be good at one kind of stage, but shit at another
warping past certain problem levels helps keep an already unreasonably difficult game somewhat in check

besides, its not like most of the battletoads warps are easy to even get
it still requires skill, even if you know where they are
>>
>>7292581
>Got filtered because he can only play halo and madden, now its all sour grapes about never getting past disc 1 of any jrpg due to his shit builds and lack of rral understanding of the mechanics and upgrade systems.
Many such cases. Specially gringos. The most adhd and fat of all
>>
>>7277709
Battletoads isn't a real game, it's a marketing ploy gone awry.
>>
>>7292581
Battletoads is not an RPG
>>
>>7277709
Level 3, Turbo Tunnels.
>>
>>7294698
listen to the rhythm of the audio. take note of how it sounds when youre getting it right.
the really fast part at the very end is just up/down/up/down.... so just sit in the back and keep in time with the whooshing sound of a block appearing onscreen
also, try to un-focus your eyes and look at the whole screen at once. make an effort to NOT move your eyes along with anything moving on the screen

u can do it anon
i bewieve in u ^_____^
>>
>>7294836
He can't even spell the name of the level right. Which means he played less than 15 minutes of the game in total. It's all just social fluff to feel included.
>>
>>7294520
You play the role as a toad. It's an RPG.
>>
>>7277709
Depends on what version.

Genesis: Whatever the fuck came after turbo tunnel.
NES: T u r b o t u n n e l
>>
>>7287931
when each game can be bruteforced with additional hardware in the cartridge it's kind of less impressive.
>>
>>7295429
Still a nice game to to compliment NES' lifespan coming an end.
Compared to another "cartridge heavy" game for the NES from that era like Gimmick! Battletoads comes off pretty sophisticated and more like a SNES game.
>>
>literally beat Battletoads on my first playthrough as a 5 year old child

wtf is wrong with you people

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.