[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: super-mario-bros.png (5 KB, 240x210)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
How did Mario become such a popular series? I believe they are well designed platformers, but I don't get what's so crazy about them.
>>
>>7277031
>>
>>7277031
Children were fed a steady diet of the Mario flakes, nintendo power brainwashing and Mario cartoons on tv to believe it's anything but mediocre trash.
>>
Mario Madness is highly contagious
>>
>>7277031
Everybody had it and it was the universal reference for a good time on the NES.
>>
Mario games are technically correct platformers. That's being said in a literal, correct sense. You do a thing and the thing happens. There's no retard with autism and a thumb injury who goes "oh these controls suck because I died". It's not "gameplay" in the sense of some faggot with his extensive D&D experience as DM being lead developer on the game you're playing, it's some people who only bother to figure out what always always always is correct game design at a basic level.

SMB introduced smooth scrolling to the franchise. It is of course not the first smooth scrolling game, it's just one of the best put-together ones of the early smooth scrolling platformers. This isn't small praise, most developers were retards with the concept of platformers literally until SMB finally informed publishers exactly which developers to still give money to.

That has basically been Mario's legacy. Sunshine isn't a hated game because it's objectively bad, it's hated because it's not actually up to Mario's basic technical standards in any way, shape, or form. That's why even your average 80 IQ moron can play Mario and enjoy it exactly like everyone else.
>>
>>7277031
>Zoom zoom detected
>>
File: DK KYS.jpg (228 KB, 1024x896)
228 KB
228 KB JPG
>>7277085
>>
>>7277129
t.victim of childhood brainwashing
>>
>>7277031
Seething Britbong thread?
>>7277085
Seething Britbong thread. Your Speccy and C64 had no good games. COPE.
>>
The popular appeal of Mario is deserved. It is something that can be enjoyed and understood by all audiences. The style of fantasy and gameplay it has can be universally liked by all ages and genders. Besides the fact that Mario is created by Nintendo (the owners of the most popular system) I think it is safe to say that most people would inherently recognize that Mario is simply fun and well-made regardless. The charm of being able to quickly move your character around and avoid obstacles is very natural and enjoyable. Even though games like Zelda, Mega Man, Castlevania, etc are good, I could never picture them as being embraced by all people in the same way that Mario is.
>>
>>7277031
Seems like it was a right place at the right time thing. Also in my opinion, smb 1 and 3 are the two tightest controlled platformers on the NES, but I haven't played every NES platformer out there.
>>
Pack ins have at least something to do with it. Though there are plenty of arguments against that being a factor, like Eternal Champions
>>
simple, easily marketable, minimal violence, cute designs, genuinely innovative physics, concept everyone can understand, etc
>>
I feel like you have to be some sort of contrarian to even ask this question.
>>
>>7277085
This precisely. Nintendo's popularity is entirely to be attributed to their ability to heavily market and effectively brainwash gullible Americans into believing they were getting the best games. By all objective measures their games have always been incredibly underwhelming.
>>
>>7277471
this is undeniably wrong. i get not wanting to deify nintendo but you cant be serious that they didnt put out a pretty hefty bunch of completely innovative titles
>>
>>7277471
Name 1 game that surpassed SMB the same year in '85
>>
Probably for being the first good game in the best genre of games (2d platformers).
>>
>>7277494
King's Quest and Ultima IV
>>
>>7277509
You're entitled to your own opinion about these games being better, but these aren't good technical examples. King's Quest has no scrolling sections, and Ultima IV only has a single moving component onscreen at a time.
>>
>>7277529
King's Quest was the first adventure game to have interactive graphics and 16 color visuals. Ultima IV revolutionized storytelling, NPC interaction, and open worlds. Not hating on SMB, but it's not as impressive as those games were.
>>
>>7277576
Touche
>>
>>7277576
You're pretty much retarded or trolling.
Neither ultima or king's quest have the broad appeal that a platformer has. Storytelling lol. You're a retard.

Fact is, mario kinda invented the formula and made games good. Like space invaders. It's not the first videogame, but it's pretty much the first fun one, with tight fun and intuitive controls, and a nice funnoremise. Pong doesn't count cause it's not a single player game with levels.
>>
>>7277820
>Nintendo invented good games
Most delusional fanboys of all time
>>
>>7277509
>rpg shit
cringe
>>
>>7277848
I'm exagerrating for the sake of argument. There was no game with the structure and polish of smb. I have fun with pacman but it's still a gallery game. Soundtrack, scrolling, levels, controls. Nothing came close before smb. There was xevious and stuff but it's not the same.
>>
>>7277494
The Eidolon
Paradroid
Monty on the Run
Rescue on Fractalus
Heart of Africa
Gauntlet
The Halley Project

It's not even the best platformer made in 1985, that would be Cauldron which combined platforming, horizontal scrolling shmup, and puzzle elements.
>>
>>7277031
I mean it was the first video game ever made to be fair
>>
>>7277865
Not sure what you mean by "structure and polish". Plenty of early Atari 8-bit, BBC Micro, and C64 arcade-like games were already filled with narrative and structure. I'm sure you haven't heard of this obscure game "Maxwell Manor", a 1984 proto-metroidvania survival horror action adventure game with top down multidirectional scrolling and some procedural level generation. You could pick up and use items, weapons, ammo, and interact with objects scattered around the mansion in a manner similar to Alone in the Dark. There's no Nintendo game with this level of complexity until several years after its release.
>>
>>7277990
>>7277938
you can't be serious
>>
>>7277031
Physics.
>>
>>7277938
Those are some great FEATURES but they don't have mechanics a fucking 10th as satisfying as SMB1 you disingenuous lamebrain.
>>
File: bootlegdykes.jpg (25 KB, 221x228)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>7277938
>loads up Cauldron
wowee it's baroque, janky shit with typically undodgeable Euro spam enemies compensated by a life bar. Yeah dude, The Brothers Are History (TM)
>>
Why, even to this day, do Europeans not understand satisfying action components while the samurai seem to grasp this effortlessly?
>>
>>7277990
and I'm sure, I'm POSITIVE even before looking at it, that it has action components in the same time zone as enjoyable as Mario right?

Butter toothed trogs confirmed for muh story over gameplay fags, and I'm sure even the stories blow.
>>
>>7277990
Avalon Hill never made a bad game, video or traditional, and I'm including B-1 Bomber and the original Squad Leader in that statement. Fight me.
>>
SMB1 invented or refined so many things people take for granted in games: basic platformer physics, secrets which add replay value and incentives exploration instead of dashing for the flag, boss fakeouts, the works
>>
>>7278092
>we love ginas
>>
SMB's satisfying momentum-based controls were very unusual, most platformers prior used fixed speed movement and didn't even scroll. Super Mario Bros was also designed starting from some catchy tunes by Miyamoto, which is odd but given how memorable it turned out, clearly contributed to its success. I know people in their late sixties who never played a video game, not even this one, and can recognize the 1-1 Mario theme. It's that iconic culturally.
>>
>>7279778
honestly ninty took the time to name and make cute drawings that represented their characters and this simple thing made their products better
>>
>>7278102
Europeans consider anything fun and light hearted to not be real art and not deserve the effort and thought. Japanese would dedicate their life to a charming cartoon and won't even feel insecure about it.
>>
>>7279351
you don't really expect some weird little hipster zoomer kid to have a clue about that, do you?
>>
>>7277031
Wasn’t it pretty impressive that the game could scroll and wasn’t just 1 screen for the time?
>>
>>7277031
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Ywx6uVn9E

that was the typical competition
>>
>>7278105
>Butter toothed trogs confirmed for

MM is an American game, it's not a British one.
>>
>>7278105
Maxwell Manor is more like Gateway to Apshai in how it plays, it's not the most accessible game to casuals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKo_HH6sswQ

Boulder Dash though is what you'd call technically correct. Everything is well put together, makes sense (avoid the boulders and enemies) and it's charming and has a sense of humor.

Thus like >>7277240 said.
>>
>>7277031
How many playthrough/style do you have for the following Mario games:

Super Mario Bros 1
Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario Lost Levels
>>
>>7277426
>minimal violence
>psycho plumber stomping on goombas and turtles
>>
Mario 1 was simple enough to play, but took a lot to progress. It was my first game, but I remember playing it with my parents, and it only taking a bit to figure out how a fireball worked, and knowing there wasn't much more to the controls.

I think most importantly was subverting the expectations of a level loop. For an arcade gamer or what have you at the time, four levels of action would have been expected to be a full game, looping back into the same thing like the Donkey Kong games. Thinking you'd just won against King Koopa, you found out you were 1/8th of the way there.
>>
>>7277031
Because it's fun. That's why.
Ever wonder why games fail? It's because they are not fun.
>>
>>7277509
>King's Quest and Ultima IV
Both not fun games. That's why people watch LPs of this hot garbage and actually play Mario games instead.
>>
>>7277031
the jumpfeel. try out any other platformers from the era and be in agony trying what constituted the act of jumping
>>
>>7277086
>/this
I still kinda have it. Been in therapy for nearly 30 years now.
I still get the shakes from time to time.
>>
Likable mascot. He's an unlikely hero, making the average guy seem to be able to save the world.
Levels are very well designed to make them easy to understand and play casually but has extra challenge for the advanced player.
In-house Nintendo games are very good for speedrunning.
Memorable music, sounds, art, design, and characters
>>
>>7277031
Mario 1 was good for its time, it had very good feeling motion which most games didn't
then mario 3 and super mario world came out, they are great games that can still be enjoyed today, and retroactively made mario 1 more special
mario 64 fucking slam dunked 3d on its first try, such a high quality of movement/physics/collision, open environment, a good camera, setting the standard for a good 3d game
>>
>>7277031
They're designed to appeal to as broad audience as possible. Look at Mario. He's an Italian plumber designed by a Japanese developer, jumps like a nigger and collects coins like a jew.
>>
>>7277031
scrolling, on console, in 1985.
>>
>>7277440
>nooooooooo you can't say anything bad about fat italian man or i'll call you a contrarian so i can disregard your opinion!
>>
>>7283083
Nice racist joke from 2012. Did you get that from Niggermania?
>>
>>7283798
No, from a pic I saw back in 2017
>>
>>7277990
>complexity=good
Yes, Maxwell Manor is impressive for the time. But you can't honestly believe anything about it is as directly enjoyable, well made, or as that anon said, polished as SMB. There are many, many games that do the same things Maxwell Manor (and other such games that were taking on too much for their limitations) can be praised for thousands of times better that were made between its release and the modern day, retro and not. SMB1, on the other hand, can be popped in right now, this very second ,and enjoyed on nearly the same level as the moment it was released. In fact it does many things BETTER than platformers that have followed since, and it has some advantages over its sequels. It has no real shortcomings in any of the things it sets out to do, and the most you could feasibly find fault in, with any modern day comparisons in mind, are the graphics. That says a lot.

Since this thread is about Mario in general and not just the first game, keep in mind that SMB3 came out a mere three years later in Japan, and just over four years in the west. It is another enormous leap over both its predecessor and nearly every bit of competition it had built up, and once again compares favorably even to similar titles released since. Throw in the US's version of SMB2, itself a fucking fantastic game that kept up the high standards the original set in a new way (for the audience it was released to), and it really does not take much to fathom why the Mario series solidified itself so well.

Janky, under-realized concepts can wow people for a time, and do have their own large merits for taking inventive steps forward, but will never become eternal icons that appeal to literally everyone.
>>
>>7283937
There were a lot of computer games in the early 80s. The classics everyone still remembers like Boulder Dash, Lode Runner, etc were the ones that were easy to play, accessible, and fun. Stuff like Maxwell Manor isn't well remembered for a reason.
>>
bump
>>
>>7277031
Play some other platformers from around the same years any of the early Mario games came out, and you'll realize just how well-designed they were in a sea of third-party jank. Nintendo really deserves the credit they get for helping to pull the industry out of the video game crash by giving consumers a brand that they could rely on for consistent quality. It might not seem as amazing in retrospect, but Mario is one of the very few platformer series from that era remembered for a reason.
>>
>>7281869
Shut up. No significant amount of Americans played this. This game was cited as a Euro cope for micro computers against NES.
>>
>>7277178
You wish you would have been there, trust me it was a willing indoctrination
>>
>>7286280
Nonetheless, Maxwell Manor was made by an American developer and never appeared on any European computers.
>>
>>7277031
Mario has great physics, the game can be easily played and understood without playing a manual and it's challenging. All make for a great platformer and it was revolutionary
>>
>>7281868
ah yes....Willyformers!
>>
>>7286259
It's kind of strange if you think about it. As basic as mario is, fluid movement and jumping, enemies that are based more around platforming instead of combat; there's really very little that comes close. Everything else is dogshit or some kind of shooter/beatemup.
>>
>>7277031
>very solid
>came with the first '''real''' home console system for a lot of people
>mascot of one of the big 3
Really there's a lot of reasons
>>
>>7277031
>simple, easy to pick and start playing with no knowledge
>yet is still fun for advanced players
>satisfying aesthetics
>weird but pleasing ....theme? italian plumbers and giant green pipes, mushrooms that make you bigger or give you powers or lives, dinosaurs, castles and princesses, lava pits, etc
>was one of the first videogames when they hit mass appeal; *everybody* had nes mario
>>
>>7277031
it was a really exceptionally well put together game for its time
never mind the fact that it wasnt an arcade game, but one for home consoles. most home console games at the time were stripped-down shitty ports, often only consisting of a single screen. but then along comes mario with 40 fucking different levels

try comparing it with 5200 games, or coleco or something to get a better perspective on it
>>
>>7287815
to add to this, due to donkey kong being such a smash hit in the arcades, jumpman was actually a well established character before the game even came out
im sure that helped too
>>
I thinks its the type of game that if you see someone else play it makes you want to play too or for parents to buy because the visuals are simple and easy to see whats going on and it looks easy to play, compare that to atari like indiana jones where you don't know whats going on or later nes games like batman which would appear muddy and difficult when viewed by non gamers. Nintendo games have a look where when casual gamers see them it makes them want to buy them, even sonic would have looked complicated and difficult to non gamers at the time.
>>
It's fun dude. I'm a zoomer, and when my friend got a launch-era Wii, his parents bought him SMB and I was instantly hooked on it despite the age of the game. It's instantly enjoyable and stays that way the whole time
>>
>>7277031
it was fun and charming in an era where most games were very unfun and looked awful , evey one suddenly needed to step up their game and figure shit out
>>
If you look at the classic early 80s arcade games, the biggest hits were ones like Pac-Man or Dig Dug that were like SMB; they were very appealing, cartoony, and easy to figure out. Anyone can understand pumping monsters to make them explode or eating ghosts. Other games like Defender were great, but not nearly as accessible to normies.
>>
>>7283937
>enormous leap over both its predecessor
>lag
>autoscrollers
>floatier physics
>lower difficulty
SMB1 > SMB3
>>
>>7287843
>to add to this, due to donkey kong being such a smash hit in the arcades, jumpman was actually a well established character before the game even came out
>im sure that helped too
This, Mario was only second to Pac-Man, leading to him even having a cereal and a cartoon segment on Saturday Supercade way before the Supershow or the Nintendo Cereal System.
>>
>>7288062
yea nintendo seems like they almost "fluked" into making a character that western kids liked.
i guess it was the pre-jarpigs era, but im still shocked we got some grizzled italian plumber with a stache, rather than what youd expect from nips ie: some random 11yo boy/gril with spiky hair

its funny to think about what kind of presence, if any at all, nintendo wouldve had stateside if they hadnt got their foot in the door with mario. i could still see zelda being a really big deal here, but would anyone have even had an NES here if it werent for the fact that each system was packaged with SMB?
my guess is prolly not anywhere near as many
>>
>>7277031
Everyone had it and compared to 90% other NES games was very well designed, it looks good, doesn't run like ass, good physics etc.

This helped it build a reputation.
>>
>>7277240
I believe part of this is due to the fact you can actually see the character and everything is fairly up close. I remember reading a lot of thought and effort went into giving Mario a recognisable design with the limited space they had. Most other games are zoomed out tiny blobs you move from a top down perspective. I feel Mario's style gave people a connection to the character other games couldn't.
>>
File: toilet mario.jpg (647 KB, 1280x1707)
647 KB
647 KB JPG
>>7289394
>im still shocked we got some grizzled italian plumber with a stache
I hope this doesn't make me sound like Dobson, but I really do miss when Mario was (at least in Western adaptations) a greasy plumber from Brooklyn and not high-piched bing bing wahoo man.
>>
>>7289550
>but I really do miss when Mario was (at least in Western adaptations) a greasy plumber from Brooklyn
Literally never the case outside of a retarded cartoon. Stop simping for things that never happened.
>>
>>7289560
>By Miyamoto's own account, Mario's profession was chosen to fit with the game design: since Donkey Kong takes place on a construction site, Mario was made into a carpenter; and when he appeared again in Mario Bros., it was decided that he should be a plumber, because a lot of the game is situated in underground settings. Mario's character design, particularly his large nose, draws on western influences; once he became a plumber, Miyamoto decided to "put him in New York" and make him Italian, lightheartedly attributing Mario's nationality to his mustache. Other sources have Mario's profession chosen to be carpenter in an effort to depict the character as an ordinary hard worker, making it easier for players to identify with him. After a colleague suggested that Mario more closely resembled a plumber, Miyamoto changed Mario's profession accordingly and developed Mario Bros., featuring the character in the sewers of New York City.
Sorry bro, Mario's a New Yorker.
>>
>>7289560
lol he was literally a wop from brooklyn tho
>>
>>7277031
Bundling with consoles and right marketing probably.
>>
>>7277095
this

and as far as mascots go, i feel like mario is one of the first ones that made it abundantly clear that you were playing as a character with certain traits, rather than vicariously going through a jungle as a column of low color pixels.
not to mention his name is on the screen at all times and memorable

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.