[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: mame vs retroarch.png (108 KB, 757x600)
108 KB
108 KB PNG
why do mame devs get butt hurt over mame2003 plus in retroarch? its just a simple program that helps ppl run there games on under powered hardware like a Nintendo 3DS.. its not like people are now able to run the mame software for free with out paying the mame devs for the first time ever MAME IS A FREE SOFTWARE TO BEGIN WITH. its just mind blowing how toxic they been over something not even hurting them on the outside, just the inside mentally,

heres some evidence of them being crazy

>>The abomination that is MAME in RetroArch is maintained entirely elsewhere and is full of code mods that have nothing to do with us and are generally harmful when it comes to the quality of emulation. Honestly, we wish they'd just drop it entirely and that nobody at all used MAME in RetroArch. It is the single worst way to be experiencing MAME.

Source: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/issues/5023#issuecomment-491088922
>>
>>7102361
Mame hates newfags so they make mame harder than literally any other emulator to use. Retroarch is just all emulators put together so Mame being full of literal boomer assholes they attacked zoomerarch.

Fairly simple to see.

The boomers would require being paid to let their shit go. That's just how anti-nice they are.
>>
>>7102384
>I'm a crybaby faggot

fixed
>>
>>7102389
ahh now I understand the way of life, thank you kind Sir
>>
>>7102361
>It is the single worst way to be experiencing MAME.

No it isn't. I've used MAME on Wii.
>>
File: zoomie.jpg (52 KB, 1177x662)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
it's outdated version of emulator that only handles outdated roms that aren't widely available. it's pissing mamedevs off because zoomers who don't understand how mame works is trying to use it like free games software like nestopia or bsnes so they're getting tons of issues tickes like

>help the metal slug doesn't work on 10 years old MAME fork on my nintendo 3ds
>>
> " ... mame2003-plus is built on the same codebase as MAME 0.78, meaning that 95% or more of MAME 0.78 romsets will work as-is ... "
-- https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/17766/mame2003-plus-hundreds-of-new-games-improved-input-features-new-bugs-now-with-runahead-support

I don't really care to use retroarch, but this tiny tidbit of knowledge is valuable to me. There is always the few games that just refuse to perform on MAME no matter the settings, and this old version is MAME is one more tool that can go in the toolbox.
>>
>>7102507
Sounds like their problem. Nobody is making them oay any mind to stupid questions
>>
>>7102361
ah yes MAME, the other emulator for fags
>>
MAME = 4chan
RetroArch = reddit
>>
MAME core is absolutely atricous. It's TERRIBLE. There are so many things wrong with it.
>>
>>7102547
>I don't really care to use retroarch, but this tiny tidbit of knowledge is valuable to me. There is always the few games that just refuse to perform on MAME no matter the settings, and this old version is MAME is one more tool that can go in the toolbox.
With an up-to-date romset there shouldn't be any games that work on outdated versions but don't work on the newest version.
>>
This person came to MAME to talk about differences between MAME core in RetroArch and standalone MAME. They have nothing to do with RetroArch. Furthermore, RetroArch uses ancient versions of MAME that are no longer supported. If this person went to the right place in the first place, there wouldn't have been any issue.
>>
>>7102660
this

they couldn't even rip out the fucking mame ui? come on
>>
File: 1566798215794.png (110 KB, 533x515)
110 KB
110 KB PNG
>>7102403
>>7102389
>>STOP COMPLAINING BITCH AND FALL IN LINE
I do what I want.
>>
>>7102691
>perform
Dependencies were never an issue, which is why such an issue was not mentioned in the post you replied to.
>>
>>7102361
Drama. Ignore it.
>>
>>7102943
ok i will
>>
>>7102361
retroarch should just die , shitty nigger software.
>>
>>7102660
nice list of wrong things, i can't argue against
>>
>>7102361
I think it's just a couple of the mamedevs who have a problem with retroarch, which is why it doesn't surprise me that that specific comment is by haze. In the other dev comments, they gave explanations as to what's going on in the mamecore in retroarch, why they can't fix, and pointed the user to the libretro github to report his issue there.
>>
>>7102361
>It is the single worst way to be experiencing MAME
So this isn't one of those cases where the RA core has additional lag-mitigation features?

And do they expect people to play on CRTs, or just use MAME's inferior video shaders?
>>
I can't remember the exact details, but there is an issue with the way very old versions of MAME were licenced that means it's basically impossible to ever legally use that code in deriative works. This licence issue was recognised and fixed a long time ago in subsequent versions, but of course Retroarch is deliberately not promoting those versions. This also made the whole drama over the Chinese using the Retroarch trademark without a licence hilariously ironic.
Retroarch has also killed interest in Android developers working to create a proper Android version of MAME because like just use Retroarch, right?
>>
lol I actually just read OP's Github ticket. An actual Hispanic with a DragonBallZ avatar demanding a fault in someone else's software be fixed and then acting like a prick when people politely tell him it's nothing to do with them. It's not possible to be anymore of a stereotype without literally being REIROM - was this post some kind of satire? If so, bravo
>>
>>7102361
both are shit-tier clusterfucks of UI

however mame atleast MIGHT do arcade titles if you dont see learning as an obstacle

retroarch is ubiquitous &
most versions seem acceptable
however obscure systems need tinkering
>>
>>7104659
umm retroarch did not murder anyone.. thats there own choice and has nothing to do with them. thats like saying Nintendo killed sega for making consoles, not segas choices and actions that lead them this rabbit hole
>>
>>7102361
a lot of developers hate retroarch. they make their stuff open source because no one ever really does anything with it, its still essentially "their" software.
it's like with nintendo and sony using open source emulators in their classic consoles. you just know it pisses the developers off.
>>
File: 1586456458388.jpg (37 KB, 577x184)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>want to play an arcade game
>"yeah just download this 87gb romset"
>use fireproalpha instead
>>
>>7105136
You never needed to do something as stupid as downloading a whole rom set. MAME tells you what's missing when you try to run any game, so you can grab those files specifically.
>>
File: eeeee.jpg (721 KB, 3264x2448)
721 KB
721 KB JPG
>>7102501
>EEEEEEEEEEEE's in your path
>>
This petty bullshit is why I only use standalone emulators.
>>
>>7105136
Lol it's crazy man you really don't need to download a full romset like, at all. Every time I've tried to download a random game for mame in recent memory it's either just worked or if it didn't boot it was something simple like I didn't have a bios file I needed or something else that was easily googleable.
>>
GUI was a mistake
>>
>>7106008
Have fun listening to a ghoul shriek about girldick.
>>
>>7105121

They should stop trying to con contributors into contributing to their projects then if they don't believe in their own license or at least be honest and upfront about it and pick a license that practices what they preach.
>>
>>7102361

Mamehaze does consulting/contracting for retro game remasters/ports. He has said that MAME purposefully cannot run too well or too user convenient or else there'd be nothing to sell as 'official console ports/remasters'. So you can probably guess why he has such a raging hard-on about RetroArch or anything else that tries to turn this inane shit into something an average user can easily run and have it run just as well as an 'official remaster/port' on a console.

All this petty bullshit is over some autist seeing his contracts dry up (none of the money which he is sharing with any of his MAME dev team members for that matter). Ignore it.
>>
>>7102507
MAME does suck in RA, that's for sure, but any /vr/ trooper worth his salt should be using both.
>>
>>7106506
but it's not thaaat hard to use. There's also babby versions like arcade64 that work fantastically so long as you're >90 IQ enough to find a matching romset.
>>
>>7106506
Sounds like bullshit. This dude aint even in the top 25 contributors to the project either. One time when I was feeling generous, I did ask who I could donate money to and cuavas said the whole project was well financed and to donate to Child's Play instead. I think they're set.
>>
File: MAMEUI.png (101 KB, 1440x876)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
For me, it's MAMEUI
>>
>>7106550

He said it himself on Reddit, can't be arsed to look up the posts but you can click on his reddit username 'mamehaze', scroll down to the numerous threads where he spergs out about retroarch and after a certain point you can see him suddenly start talking about the companies he 'works for', the 'consulting' he does for them, that these companies didn't want to use mainline mame because it was dogshit slow and instead preferred a mame 2003 version or whatever. his idea of 'proper' is whatever puts money in his bank. just another hypocritical pathetic little nerd fighting out personal petty battles pretending it's about 'principles' when in reality it's about misbegotten money. nobody owes him any contracting jobs.
>>
>>7106550
>This dude aint even in the top 25 contributors to the project either

He was once the lead maintainer of MAME before they forced him to step down. You're right that he is not one of the top 25 contributors, but I guess it's one of those guys that links his identity with MAME and sees the project as his 'life's work' and feels a certain sense of entitlement and ownership over it.
>>
>>7106662
god MAME is such a dogshit emulator
>>
>>7106765
That's kinda weird and sad considering he didn't even create the project.
>>
>>7106816
Not really understanding where the superior alternatives are at for most arcade systems.

100% of babies crying over MAME always cite ease-of-use and performance reasons for why it sucks. It's never anything you can actually level at quality of emulation, which it's been consistently improving for decades now. There are standalone hardware accelerated emulators for most 3D systems that won't run in mame. There's old versions and romsets very easily available for weaker hardware. Most alternate emulators for neogeo/cps2 etc are based in some way off of MAME's work. It's always been free. What is there to complain about that doesn't eventually boil down to "It doesn't run Model 3 at full speed on my chromebook and I can't google the right roms"
>>
>>7102361
Source: old.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/jocjab/chinese_startup_trying_to_steal_the_retroarch/gbc8xci/
> On a political scale, MAME is a much more left-leaning project. It relies greatly on people being good natured, and not taking advantage of that. Our values are educational, long term visions, building something better for the future generations. A lot of what we do only has an appeal to a small minority, but we realise it is important to them. It's not driven by money, even if money is often needed, but instead primarily driven by a desire to do something productive for each other with long term value.
> RA is much more right leaning, taking advantage of what they can, regardless of any moral issues that might exist in doing so, with a highly commercialized approach, simple buzzwords etc. It's all about trying to appeal to as many people as possible, by doing whatever is 'popular', regardless of the cost of that.

mamehaze is so far gone in smelling his own farts he compares the MAME vs RetroArch war to the war between the left and the right, then mid-sentence, to the war between good and evil.

meanwhile you have to include error messages that lock out users of perfectly valid roms that will work with no problem, because it's an "overdump" and you have to get the massive romsets with that parent/child setup, that seems more and more purposefully user unintuitive. If he's offering a paid service for companies to sell the user friendly option, this makes much more sense now.
retroarch devs are no angels because they tried to prevent inolen from monetizing HIS work on redream, including pulling off a gpl3 move to tie his hands, because THEY wanted it to be tied to THEIR patreon, and for him to get scraps. They can be greedy too, but they're the lesser evil here.
>>
File: 0.gif (101 KB, 498x343)
101 KB
101 KB GIF
>>7107229
>its real
>people upvoted it
wtf
>>
>>7107229
As autistic as the MAME team is, I don't fault them for wanting to being protectionists. I also don't fault the RetroArch team for wanting to freeze MAME versions, but their users need to learn to fill out bug reports to the right place.
>>
>>7102384
> mame harder than literally any other emulator to use
the OP fucking MENTIONED retroarch dude you could at least try
though for once it's a close contest, both are motherfuckers
>>
>>7107248
>reddit
could have stopped right there
>>
>>7102384
>Mame
>Hard to use
Ok Zoomer
>>
>>7107303
>I also don't fault the RetroArch team for wanting to freeze MAME versions
I'm laughing at MAME too but let's not kid ourselves here.
This is pure incompetence on the part of RA failing to maintain upstream versions (despite MAME sabotage, admittedly)
>their users need to learn to fill out bug reports to the right place
MAME devs were never user friendly when it was only their project and no alternatives, heck they hated custom UI launchers because it didn't obey their soft-lock screen mandates ("preservation by forcing users to redownload the entire set so that we make sure everything is preserved" they say)
What makes you think they won't be downright HOSTILE to RA users, even if it's hypothetically made upstream in the future? The users are REJECTING the experience MAME devs want forced on them. They have no reason, given their painfully clear motivations, to answer them with anything other than hostility.
>>
>>7107450
Do then, explain
>what the fuck is a parent/child/merged romset
>easy how-to update the romset each mame update
>how to load mods, fan translations, translated bootlegs
>>
>>7107450
I never figured it out and am 31.

>>7107351
I don't like zoomerarch for various reasons but I did figure it out. Mame I did not.
>>
>>7106860
the problem is having to download matching set for each update, which is dogshit by design
>>
>>7107470
ROMs that used to work in older updates but whenever the emulator is updated randomly give a cryptic error message ("ROM/CHD missing"), you look up the internet and you find out you have to redownload the whole set again (or "to make it easier" download a smaller whole set that still has some of those non working roms), you look yp the internet some more and it turns out your ROM was never the problem neither the emulator, you just have to load it in a custom UI interfacing with mame's command line failsafe and it will open just fine like before, examples of such UI include... ... retroarch
uh oh
>>
>>7107464
If you have people with only a passing interest in arcade games, downloading and merging ROM updates every month isn't very practical. That's why I say I understand them wanting to freeze sets.
You lost me on the second part. If Retro Arch or Final Burn want to fork some version of MAME and maintain it, they're free to do so. They can even submit changes to the latest version of MAME that may or may not be accepted. At the end of the day, you and I have the same amount of influence on the MAME project as they do.
>>
>>7107470
https://docs.mamedev.org/usingmame/aboutromsets.html

A non-merged set is one that contains absolutely everything necessary for a given game to run in one ZIP file. This is ordinarily very space-inefficient, but is a good way to go if you want to have very few sets and want everything self-contained and easy to work with. We do not recommend this for most users.

A split set is one where the parent set contains all of the normal data it should, and the clone sets contain only what has changed as compared to the parent set. This saves some space, but isn't quite as efficient as

A merged set takes the parent set and one or more clone sets and puts them all inside the parent set's storage. For instance, if we combine the Puckman sets, Midway Pac-Man (USA) sets, and various other related official and bootleg sets all into PUCKMAN.ZIP, the result would be a merged set. A complete merged set with the parent and all clones uses less disk space than a split set.
>>
>>7107504
Why does MAME report "missing files" even if I have the ROMs?

There can be several reasons for this:

It is not unusual for the ROMs to change for a game between releases of MAME. Why would this happen? Oftentimes, better or more complete ROM dumps are made, or errors are found in the way the ROMs were previously defined. Early versions of MAME were not as meticulous about this issue, but more recent MAME builds are. Additionally, there can be more features of a game emulated in a later release of MAME than an earlier release, requiring more ROM code to run.

You may find that some games require CHD files. A CHD file is a compressed representation of a game's hard disk, CD-ROM, or laserdisc, and is generally not included as part of a game's ROMs. However, in most cases, these files are required to run the game, and MAME will complain if they cannot be found.

Some games such as Neo-Geo, Playchoice-10, Convertible Video System, Deco Cassette, MegaTech, MegaPlay, ST-V Titan, and others need their BIOS ROMs in addition to the game ROMs. The BIOS ROMs often contain ROM code that is used for booting the machine, menu processor code on multi-game systems, and code common to all games on a system. BIOS ROMS must be named correctly and left zipped inside your ROMs folder.
>>
File: mame.png (138 KB, 966x761)
138 KB
138 KB PNG
lol
>>
File: mameh.png (14 KB, 559x232)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
lame
>>
>>7107476
why can't i just point it at a single archive containing all the particular games files? why do i need 90 GB's of storage to play a single game that could fit on a floppy drive from 1992?
>>
>>7106502
I mean that's what byuu did
at least the fucker is honest about it
it just shows that open source folk do it for clout, not idealism. because they know no one is going to pick it up anyway.
except sometimes someone does.
>>
>>7107690
because they decided long ago on some ass-backwards quest for perfectionism at the expense of the end user.
it was common back then for emu devs to have this air of superiority and disgust towards end users, even though, at the end of the day, they were making software for people to play games. mame devs still haven't dropped the "preservation" act even though their support for shit like neo geo 64 is abysmal.
>>
>>7107471
Yeah, see, this isn't doing anything to refute my point, especially since it isn't true. You don't have to update roms for each version of MAME. How would that even be possible that all the thousands of games it supports are getting new, better dumps every few months? There wouldn't be 200+ versions of mame if every game had to get updated every time.

For example, one of my favorite arcade games is Power Instinct 2. I downloaded the first pwrinst2.zip I could find on google and it worked as expected on multiple versions of mame/multiple devices. Done. That game's romset hasn't changed in years and years, if it ever even has after initially being supported, and many other games also fit this bill. The problem is retards, not the program.
>>
>>7102361
ITT: brainlets who don't understand shit about emudev or what mame actually is or does.
The abslute state of nu-/vr/.
>>
>>7107728
Is there a better Hyper Neo Geo 64 emulator out there? If the HNG64 games were all that good, do you think maybe even one of them would have been ported at some point in time? Are you really missing out that badly?
>>
>>7107749
it's more like MAME devs itt who are assblasted that no one likes dealing with their shitty program
>>
>>7107756
I'm not a MAME dev and I think it's great! It helps if you have eyes and a working brain though to read basic instructions and wrap your mind around computing concepts at a 6th grade level though
>>
reminder that the libretro/RA devs are perpetually assblasted and lurking here
>>
Gaming has to be the most embarrassing hobby to be into just because the more you know about it the more you realize that nobody has any idea what they're talking about ever and of the millions of "gamers" in north america there is probably a 4 figure number that can actually speak with knowledge on the topic and not just parrot and consume, it's mindblowing honestly. The sad part is is that nowadays, knowing how to do anything more complicated than download RA on the Switch your wife's boyfriend got you is apparently "elitist", really just a pathetic state of affairs
>>
>>7107750
that's not really the point is it? preservation means preservation. either they're doing a "perfect" job or just being smug fucks.
>>
>>7107690
The official reasoning is

>oh hey, you remember that pacman rom everyone plays?
>it's an overdump, i accidentally added to the COMPLETE, INTACT dump some extra zeroes that won't affect emulation whatsoever
>mark that dump as "bad dump" in the checksum database
>what's that? no one gives a shit about the database?
>how about we make that database a whitelist you can't play anything outside of it
>the whitelist will be changing each single update
>the users and the romsites will need to adapt
>oh even system roms will get outdated randomly too, with the same error message

if someone asks

>users need to help preservation by downloading hundreds of gigabytes each mame update, that's how "bad dumps" are weeded out of existence
>when you defend bad dumps you're defending buggy incomplete games we found out are buggy because the rom is incomplete rather than the emulation
>btw please don't look at overdumps, translated bootlegs, ALL mods, new dumps (you'll NEED to call us to be able to try them on mame), or those games we remove from the whitelist out of sheer control freak behavior such as SegaSonic The Hedgedog

inb4 you ask, yes, MAME was merged with MESS (the non-arcade multi-emulator) and yes, they tried to introduce whitelists to console emulation, though that didn't have much access. Imagine being unable to play a game because it's not on no-intro (every romhack ever AFTER it gets applied) or some tranny approved list. Needless to say it didn't succeed much because competition.
For arcade there are some specific boards with emulators other than MAME and all of them lack a whitelist.
MAME's multi-board emulation isn't the cause either because it's magically able to select the right hardware to emulate if you use the command line method.

Retroarch is but a convenient way to load the games via command line.
>>
>>7107765
you could that, or you could just open the fucking thing, load a rom, and play the game.
purposely making your ui shit as a means of gatekeeping does not make you look cool.
>>
>>7106476
?
>>
>>7107793
How many HNG64 boards do you think there are floating around for people to work with? How much public documentation do you think there is on the hardware compared to something like a Super Nintendo? The state of the driver reflects the current level of progress in preserving that hardware, and that level varies. If a game isn't playable, it's marked as not working. If it's marked as not working, I don't bother trying to play it. It's honestly pretty simple and doesn't affect anything about the games that do work - which there are a lot of
>>
>>7107765
>to read basic instructions
Where, pray tell, are these instructions about the merged/parent/child romsets, the command line feature to circumvent the block (the official advice is "compute the CRC32 again for your dump and rebuild MAME from source every single time you modify the game, but we totally don't have a whitelist")

>>7107493
>You lost me on the second part. If Retro Arch or Final Burn want to fork some version of MAME and maintain it, they're free to do so.
That's looking at the subject through mamedev's point of view.
They made the UI obtuse on purpose and hate that users flock to a different user interface using a slightly outdated version of MAME (one that's up-to-date for many emulated machines, but you know, ego)
If the userbase is expecting any help from mame devs, that's overly optimistic.
>>
>>7107796
That's exactly how I use MAME, not sure what you're talking about
>>
>>7107756
I'm going to base my excellent project off of your shitty one, but it's not like I even want to baka.
>>
>>7107815
still not the point. for a group so hellbent on perfectly preserving arcade machines, at the expense of the end user at times, and allegedly entirely focused on their idealistic vision, they don't seem to care a whole lot about the hyper neo geo 64 or other obscure boards.
>>
>>7107816
What exactly is difficult to understand about parent romsets? Like, the first time I ran into an issue with something like that, a long time ago, it was when I downloaded some regional variant of a game, and then it didn't work and was missing a bunch of files/was a really small .zip, so then I noticed there was another version of the game that was a more normal size to expect for a game like that, like 20mb vs 1mb or something, so I got that and it worked. All it took was noticing, and thinking, for more than 2 seconds. MAMEUI is really straightforward and will indicate this stuff for you, I'm not sure what is "intentionally obtuse as a means of gatekeeping" about it, this is like paranoid schizophrenic talk here
>>
>>7107818
>works on my machine :^)
sure, after you audit your romset for the billionth time. there's an obvious difference between something like RA and something like MAME, and a reason why the former is more popular.
>>
>>7107823
They've done a lot more than you or anyone else has to preserve any of them so why is this even a talking point?
>>
>>7107803
Context: Trannies are very over-represented in the emulation developer scene, and many of them tend quite often in the middle of a technical article to talk about their genitalia in graphic detail, or their severe untreated depression, or some very unsettling outbursts of murderous anger towards something online or offline.

Do yourself a favor and never read about emudev drama, and exercise extreme caution following emudev blogs or status updates.
>>
>>7107827
Name me a romset of a game anyone gives a shit about that has changed more than 5 times in the last 15 years, I'll wait
>>
>>7107829
a better question would be why do you keep deflecting the point? I'm not taking away from their achievements, just pointing out the obvious: they're pricks. and hypocritical at times, too.
>>
>>7107831
I don't read the blogs nor care about the drama I only read the changelogs, and I solely bookmark the pages of each standalone emulator just for updates/new version which I check once a month or two.
Hell I didn't even know until last month that desmume ceased support for a long time now since I don't read what's written on their home page.
>>
>>7107832
you know how many times my console romsets changed over the years? honestly I wouldn't know, because their emulators don't throw tantrums if I'm using an "outdated" version.
whether the mame structure is easy to work with, or whether it works on your machine is irrelevant. the point is that it doesn't have to be a pain in the ass, and that's why people like RA better.
>>
>>7107836
What exactly is your point? You don't have any kind of real point. You're attempting to undermine the entire achievement of the project by saying that, Neo Geo 64 emulation doesn't even work, as if this was some scathing indictment of the massive amount of quality work done over the years. Just because it doesn't work now doesn't mean it never will. Also, what does the personal character of a developer have to do with the actual software, and when it costs you 0 dollars and 0 cents, why would you even ascribe these negative traits and labels to those people for making their program how they want to?
>>
>>7107847
You know how many different pieces of hardware arcade games run on? Honestly I wouldn't know, but I can tell you it's a lot more than the dozen or so that comprise 90% of the console platforms that people emulate, it's not remotely a comparable task, you sound stupid AF even bringing that up
>>
>>7107848
in case you missed it, my point was that they decided on this retarded system for the sake of "perfectly preserving" arcade machines, at the expense of the end user. because "fuck the end user" was a common sentiment among emudevs back then.
everyone seems to have moved on from it. RPCS3 devs bend backwards to make their software as toaster friendly as possible. UIs keep improving as to cater to the whims of the end user. not mame though. but that's okay, right? because >muh preservation. except obscure shit like the HNG64 /still/ doesn't work. so what's the fucking point?
>>
>>7107850
I know MAME doesn't have to be as obtuse as it is.
>>
>Why does XYZ hardware platform that's only known to run 3 games and took years for anyone to even obtain one for the purposes of dumping, another decade to break the arcane protection on it and runs at a weird off spec refresh rate have to be any harder to emulate than a PS1 which sold millions of units, had a consumer devkit and all of it's software able to be ripped by anyone as a perfect .ISO I don't get it the MAME devs are scrubs
>>
>>7107861
who the fuck cares? the ps3 is a shitty system and you can get most of it's games on PC. As an end user, I personally would rather have the best quality emulation of heterosexual games as I possibly can, and MAMEUI is about as straightforward as it gets, so there's nothing to really complain about
>>
>>7107873
>who the fuck cares? the ps3 is a shitty system and you can get most of it's games on PC.
funny how that's not the point
>>
>>7107875
Funny how you're a bitchmade faggot dude, why do you take pride in being flummoxed by a simple to use piece of software like MAME or feel the need to stick up for people who are? It's embarrassing, nobody needs to defend brainlets who can't figure out MuH PaReNt RoM!!
>>
>>7107884
mame is not easy to use, though. specially when compared to something like RA.
>>
>>7107827
lol people actually audit their romsets? I don't think I've done it once in 22 years of using MAME.
>>
>>7107778
you better be submitting this from a pre-GUI OS for the level of faggotry in your post anon.
>>
>>7107889
OK genius, you realize that a fixed set core like FBN in RA, which I even use and quite like on certain devices, is still based on MAME's work, right? Those games still are playable in their original, not watered down console port form, or even playable at all in the case of games that probably haven't been operated in public for 20 years or more, because of MAME, and we all enjoy the benefits of their work, for free. It's such a loser thing to complain about at all because the progress MAME makes in it's newest versions will always eventually trickle down to your shitty steam compilations or hacky RA cores etc over time
>>
>>7107896
How do you handle updates?
>>
>>7107906
amazing, you're still deflecting. anyway, the difference is that you don't have to jump through a million hoops with RA or FB.
>>
File: IMG_20201123_085705.jpg (800 KB, 1080x1759)
800 KB
800 KB JPG
>>7107896
>>7107913
Grab the torrent for the new merged release but point qbittorrent at mame's rom folder - after the check it'll only download the new or updated files.

You can see I'm only downloading 1-2gb per update. 0.224 was a complete download though due to a hdd failure.
>>
>>7107920
Do you have to jump through a million hoops with the pc standalone mame? You could literally make it as simple as
1. Go to r/roms and pull up their big link list
2. See what arcade links they have available
3. https://archive.org/download/mame0226_rom
4. Get any games you want, along with MAMEUI 226

Wow man that was so hard. I can even configure everything in MAMEUI with a keyboard and mouse easily like I'm using a real computer application, lord knows enough people shit on RA for being "anti end user" with it's gamepad-centric orthodoxy, guess if people say it it must be true though, to hear you tell it
>>
>>7107884
this is exactly why that Mamehaze nigger is complaining about only making $20 a month while Retroarch chads are fucking swimming in cash and banging chicks left and right. This attitude right here.
>>
>>7107932
if people think RA is unfriendly then imagine how arcane mame must be. you know as well as I do that mame is not user friendly like other emulators.
lots of people still use kawaks just so they don't have to deal with mame's bullshit.
>>
>>7107942
I know that I had a hard time getting MAME to work when I first used it. In 2002, when I was 11 years old. I put the pieces together by the time I was 12 and used it frequently by the time I was 13. Grown adults have no excuse, I was hardly some kind of prodigy either.
>>
>>7107942
Is this where I type in lowercase like a homo "wow , still deflecting, what was hard about that process?"
>>
>>7107956
hard is relative. it's objectively harder than
>download rom
>download RA
>play the fucking game
with mame is
>download an entire romset
>download the specific mame version
>download an UI
>set everything up
>maybe play the game if nothing goes wrong along the way
I never deflected. it's objectively easier with other emulators.
>>
>>7107961
K, done replying to you. You don't have to download an entire romset or an exact specific version, you never have, if you don't understand that you're either braindead or trolling
>>
>>7107962
it's not like you ever addressed the point either way. so good riddance.
mame sacrifices the experience of the end user in favor of preservation, allegedly. except obscure boards still don't work. so why bother?
mame is also objectively not as user friendly as other emulators, or RA. so it shouldn't come off as a surprise to the mame niggers that people prefer RA over their arcane bullshit.
>>
>>7107961
Why do you need to download the entire romset? Just grab the individual ROM you want for the version of MAME you have. Why do you need to download a UI as well? The built in interface became useable about 6 years ago.
>>
>>7107927
It's really not that difficult to update sets using progretto dat files and clrmamepro. Retroroms always has the latest updates as well as old ones so you can start with an old set and fully update it. I kinda prefer doing it this way to joining private trackers and the dick sucking that entails.
>>
why is Mamehaze (MAME developer) throwing a fit over Retro Arch offering a bootstrap downloader for current mame cores? His only argument is "muh GPL v.3 license" It's clearly done for end user ease of use but he wants to make the end user manually have to go to his site, download the cores, and manually integrate it into RA. Why are MAME devs (and to an extent MAME supporters) such insufferable faggots?
>>
>>7107970
I addressed all that nonsense. Whatever the current state of a driver is = it's degree of preservation. Some are near perfect, others are 2% done. You sound like someone who would visit the Sagrada Familia and say that "it's not that impressive, it still has a bunch of scaffolding on it, I don't get why they have it open to the public if it's not even done yet. I don't get why Antoni Gaudi was so autistic with his vision" "Preferring RA to MAME" is a redundant statement, you're still using MAME in some way shape or form when you play arcade stuff in RA generally speaking.
>>
>>7107971
i dont know it seemed pretty shit to me i accidentally opened it before i only have it installed to use chdman
>>
i don't know anything about mame but i hate shitarch.
hurr let's push a wacky random resolution whenever you look at the core funny unless you force it with a command line
hurr let's use the fucking ps3 UI and have some scrolling menus arbitrarily do that stupid infinite roll thing and some not
hurr let's ctd with a log that gives useless arcane output
when it finally works as it's supposed to, it's okay. the shader options are very good and the controller abstraction isn't a bad idea.
but all it has to do is be a frontend for emulators and it's worse than a folder with a bunch of standalone executables would be
>>
>>7107980
I thought you were done replying.
>>
>>7107981
It's not great, don't get me wrong, but it's fine for a half dozen games or so. Hell, even batch files are fine. I wouldn't worry about a frontend or something until hundreds of games are involved.

>>7107976
I seed 24/7 but I know what you mean, the forum admins at pleasuredome are autistic boomers of the worst variety. Just talking about the Genesis got me muted. Now I just maintain a healthy ratio and let those neckbeards enjoy their circlejerk.
>>
File: SegaSonicBrosTitle.png (9 KB, 320x224)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
Reminder that this game still requires a special hacked version of mame to play because MAME devs don't want to upset the poor rom hoarder it was stolen from.
>>
>>7107989
don't forget the obscure key mapping.
>>
All this screeching about "MUH ROM CHANGED!!" is because arcade games are not like console games. There are very few coherent "systems" like there are games consoles, everything has to be special cased which that moron blabbering on about "whitelists" above doesn't seem to understand.
It's also extremely hard to dump the ROMs unlike consoles, which is why even massive titles like Space Harrier are not properly dumped with until very recently game breaking bugs on display that people don't realise are a problem as they've never played the original enough to know better (old MAMEs are way worse on this front, a whole bunch of games are flash recreation tier due to lack of real MCU code and hence totally different game behaviour).
I love the idea that Retroarch could somehow change this fact and make arcade games always "just work" - it's deliberately comparing apples to oranges and arcade games will never work like console games outside of a handful of systems like Neogeo. If someone claims otherwise they literally don't know what they are talking about.
Also LOL at the idea that fucking Haze is some milllionaire making sick consultancy money on err... forgotten plug and play games. I think hardly any commercial products legitimately use MAME, they either just blatantly steal the code or lazily obfuscate it, they don't ask for permission.
The reason people are muddying the water here is because the point of RetroArch is pure profit only for those in charge (and it's almost certainly them posting this shit). The projects it parasitically feeds off (and that make up the real value of RA) don't get a penny of that money by design. MAME gets even less from retroarch, just a load of tards like OP logging "ME AM BRAZIL FIX GAME" all over their github where RA has mangled their software yet again and they get nothing at all back source code wise. It's lose - lose for MAME to be in RetroArch as a core.
>>
>>7108145
they should've thought of that before making their shit open source. what exactly they thought was gonna happen?
>>
>>7108158
Should have thought of what? Some people would abuse it and be dicks? So fucking what? The project would never have lasted this long or achieved so much if it was open source. It has literally hundreds of different systems in it now, it's impossible for that to happen without outside contributions. Being open source was a crucial and correct decision to make for their project and doesn't somehow make it wrong for them to complain when people cynically exploit that openness.
>>
>>7107839
wait, desmume is not being worked on anymore?
>>
>>7106008
MAME actually can't even be considered a standalone emulator when it also tries to emulate consoles and computers and plug and play/handhelds that rip-off Neo-Geo assets.
>>
>>7108287
>An emulator cannot be an emulator when it emulates things
You've gone wrong there
>>
>>7108287
Well it was always Multiple Arcade Machine Emulation. They've simply added MESS machines into the mix. Shit wrangler sounds more appropriate.
>>
>>7102361
Why in the g**damn everhecking FUCK are you using MAME in Retroarch and not FinalBurn Neo which actually supports runahead?
>>
>>7108215
Yes. MelonDS is the new hotness.
>>
>>7108215
It's good to know that someone else doesn't know. What I have is the .9.11 which has been last updated last 2015.
>>
>>7108496
Don't they say to not download that version? And instead download the newest dev build? That's what I did at least.
>>
>>7108215
>>7108496
Just use the latest autobuild
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/zeromus/desmume/build/artifacts
>>
>>7108524
I don't know. All I read was the date.
>>7108529
Wait what...but that's an exe file? No zip?
>>
>>7108529
Windows Defender flagged that as trojan.
>>
>>7104906
Nah, this is the shit people like OP complain about. Some random retard downloads retroarch and some mame core, then something doesn't work right since old and outdated shit, they come to complain to the mame devs about it and get butthurt when the mame devs tell them to go ask the people who made the fucking core to fix it. Then said retards come to 4chan and make threads about "WAH, WHY DO MAME DEVS HATE RETROARCH?!"

You will NEVER see any of the retards that whine about MAME actually do anything about it. Contact the MAME devs and ask for changes? Will never happen, because all these retards know deep down inside how stupid they are, and don't want the response from the MAME devs explaining how stupid they are. Fork MAME and make the changes they want to see? Will never happen, since they are all too stupid to ever learn how to code. Hire people to make the changes they want instead of expecting other people to do stuff for free? Will never happen, being stupid and entitled goes hand in hand.

Cue butthurt idiots screaming about "WAH WHY U PROTECT MAME DEVS?"
>>
>>7108031
Yeah, people with no money don't wanna get dragged to court by some neckbeard with too much money and spare time over a failed location test that barely anyone downloaded from Guru. Imagine that.
>>
>>7107772
I thought everyone knew SP/TA was a regular who dropped his trip after he got tired of getting called out on his bullshit? Remember when he tried attacking the Genesis emu dev over licensing choice and lied about the contributors? Remember when he opened a patreon for RA and talked about how he wouldn't give a dime to any of the devs that worked on the cores that made RA worth using, only to change his tune when that conversation leaked?
>>
>>7108713
Yeah but dude the MAME devs are AUTISTIC and ANTI CONSUMER and MEAN and that's what matters. You know how I know this? Because I don't know how to download the right roms. Checkmate!

>>7108145
It's no use man you can't explain to people that yes, it's actually different to dump games with like 100+ chips that are often hard to replace, hard to come by, and designed to be hard to bootleg, than it is to dump an n64 game or rip a PSX iso. they don't get it and they don't want to. they just want daytona usa to run fullspeed in mame on their raspberry pi and if it doesn't, then the program is a piece of shit, simple as.
>>
>>7108713
i as an end user that willingly uses Linux, an operating so obtuse that something as simple as connecting to a wireless network requires compiling drivers and learning how to use esoteric command line tools, feel working with MAME is fucking ridiculous for what it is.
>>
>>7108179
>exploit
it's called open source for a reason. you can't use a license that says "free" and then bitch when people take more than one. it's free.
>>
>>7102578
But 4cuck has been reddit since roughly 2015.
>>
Haze is mentally ill and does not represent MAME team's opinion.
>>
>>7109241
if you think haze is bad try guru on for size
>>
File: A.jpg (42 KB, 869x67)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
calling based on this one
>>
>>7109241
Haze is really one of the only devs to actually get shit done AND post online. The other devs who go online are constantly just bitching how they can't implement anything due to lack of documentation that is hoarded by the developers of closed source emulators.
>>
>>7109295
MAME team has the source code for model 2 emulator yet refused to share it. So much for getting shit done.
>>
>>7107976
>clrmamepro

clrmamepro is a nightmare to use. Get Romvault instead.
>>
>>7109298
Exactly my point. Haze at least codes shit. The rest of the online mame devs are internet warriors.
>>
What's the point of using these all in one emulators
>>
>>7109298
The guy who created it is directly working with the MAME team. If he wanted to make model 2 emulator gpl he could have done so a long time ago. For whatever reason he didn't want to.
>>
>>7109367
What's the point in using standalones when you can satisfy almost all your emulation needs with one app?
>>
>>7109298
>MAME team has the source code for model 2 emulator yet refused to share it
Proof of this?
>>7109372
>The guy who created it is directly working with the MAME team. If he wanted to make model 2 emulator gpl he could have done so a long time ago
He works for Sega, it's almost certain that he is contractually not allowed to do anything with it anymore, especially as Sega Racing Classic is literally Daytona USA running in an emulator underneath some heavy makeup.
Prime example of why closed source emulators are a bad idea.
>>
>>7107778
>The sad part is is that nowadays, knowing how to do anything more complicated than download RA on the Switch your wife's boyfriend got you is apparently "elitist", really just a pathetic state of affairs
I mean, when you how retarded most normalfags get when an emulator doesn't run every game you throw at it with real hardware accuracy under default settings, the "elitism" from just having patience and knowing how to use the damn things is almost warranted.
>>
>>7102361
mame started as a project to preserve arcade boards through emulation, retroarch holds more about their initial purpose than mame itself, ironic.
>>
>>7109479
>retroarch holds more about their initial purpose than mame itself, ironic.
I don't think the intial purpose of MAME was to repackage other people's code and bundle it with an ugly frontend, anon.
>>
I just wanted to play Capcom's D&D but no rom I download works in any MAME core.
>>
>>7109617
This post is absolutely seething.
>>
>>7109624
You're probably getting filtered by not having qsound.zip or something. I would brush up on my google skills if I were you
>>
>>7107778
yeah because I'm sure the billions of people who watched avengers end game and call themselves movie geeks are all intimately familiar with movie making and the ins and outs of hollywood.
>>
MAME is more than just the play muh gaymen component.
The thorough documentation (source) has helped me diagnose and repair more than a handful of broken arcade games.
It truly is a treasure.
Only zoomers and retards wouldn't understand how important it is that mame tries to strive and reach 100% accuracy and complete documentation of hardware.
RA hinders this goal by moving the critical testing userbase away from the main releases to an outdated garbage fork.
I'm pretty sure mame devs wouldn't mind as much if RA's core was actually up to date.
>>
>>7110648
>The thorough documentation (source) has helped me diagnose and repair more than a handful of broken arcade games.
Probably the best argument I've ever read on the topic, anon. BUT, MAME should have a "good nuff" fork so as not to be assholes about it all.
>>
>>7107229
Not an argument. Mamehaze is right.
>>
>>7109624
it's honestly just as good to get the steam release, you get both of them
>>
>>7110653
Whats assholish about striving for accuracy even if it means it wont run as good on weaker hardware? The design choices aren't some personal attack on the computer illiterate, thats such a gay and emotional way of looking at it
>>
>>7110887
you post as if you enjoy the smell of your own farts anon.
>>
>>7110867
The console versions were ported by Capcom, but the Steam release was outsourced and isn't good as the original though the general public won't notice or care. Plus it's good having more emulation options than the ones the official release has.
>>
>>7110648
RA's version of MAME is 0.222, it's pretty recent, not an outdated garbage fork.
>>
>>7110653
>MAME should have a "good nuff" fork so as not to be assholes about it all.
That's literally what Final Burn etc are.
>>
>>7111256
FBN does not support Sega Systerm 32 or recent Cave machines though
>>
I thought /vr/ has always been pro-consumer, then why are you defending MAME? MAME deliberately makes it harder for consumers to use it.
>>
>>7109624
https://mega.nz/folder/wV9wWQaD#P6DFj3jM5yTLN62XpU9D8A
>>
>>7111258
Once (if) they start supporting more systems in earnest they will have the same "MUH ROMZ CHANGED" bullshit as MAME, and barraged with dumb shit like >>7111260
as a result. Literally the reason people like these emulators is they don't emulate everything so they're not "forced" to download as many games each release as the evil MAME.
>>
>>7111264
adding additional compatibility does not invalidate existing roms
>>
Get you a stable remap going!
"What's the matter, boy? MAME forgot your buttons again? That sucks!" -"Tired of having to reconfigure your inputs all the time? You're about to lose it and ready to give up? Wait! There's yet hope."

Introducing:
By default MAME instantly resets any button configuration that is being loaded or currently in use if the specified controller is not connected or drops connection while the program is still being executed. Scenarios like this include a wireless controller going into sleep mode, a weak battery giving out during gameplay or a cable pulled too early. But there's a solution: Write your own remap file using a stable controller ID and MAME's devicemap feature today - MAME won't forget your buttons ever again!

How to:
1. Connect your controller of choice.
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Human Interface Devices > HID Conform Game Controller > Your Controller > Properties > Details > pick Hardware IDs from the drop down menu and note it down.
3. Write a text document like pic related to permanently map your buttons to player 1 using your controller's hardware ID*** (see 2nd post). Save as a cfg-file and name it a single word without any spaces or special characters.
4. Put the new cfg-file into a directory called 'ctrlr' inside your MAME program directory. Create it if it doesn't exist already.
5. Open mame.ini > Under section '# CORE SEARCH PATH OPTIONS' set 'ctrlrpath' to 'ctrlr'. Under section '# CORE INPUT OPTIONS' set 'ctrlr' to the name of your remap cfg-file. Leave out the file extension.
6. Delete 'default.cfg' in the 'cfg' directory of your MAME installation. Your remap is the new default now! This step might not be 100% necessary but it autogenerates a new one anyway if needed.
7. Done

1 of 2
>>
>>7111276 continued

Result:
MAME won't ever forget your buttons again. Doesn't matter if your controller loses connection, goes into sleep mode, the battery dies or you pull the cable too early. It's Plug-and-Play now and will be recognized 100% reliably by its hardware ID.

Advice:
If you are using an 8-button arcade stick the layout illustrated below is highly recommended as it is the most suited default across all machines, offering you the NeoGeo 4-button top row and 6-button layout a la Street Fighter at the same time.

Note that none of this prevents you from making further adjustments to input settings on a per game basis from inside the MAME GUI if necessary. MAME creates a config file for every game you boot inside the cfg directory and those have precedence over the default which we have redefined here.

Documentation
https://docs.mamedev.org/advanced/devicemap.html

***DISCLAIMER (see 1st post)
Controller button names and enumeration as well as hardware ID will vary. Figuring them out is up to the user. It is recommended to create a game specific remap including all physical buttons first and using that as reference. It will be located in the cfg directory.

2 of 2
>>
>>7111268
Trying to support known incomplete ROMsets is a fucking stupid idea that doubles workload, which is why no one does it. Trying to dress it up as "compatibility" is embarassing. It would also guarantee the same useless ROMsets float around in the wild forever so tards like the ones in this thread can't find the actual good ones.
>>
it still baffles me that people really think if a game was added to mame in say, .126, and it's on .226 now, that there are 100 unique versions of the rom that will only work with it's corresponding version and the simplest way around this problem is to download the /entire/ 60+ GB library, but that you will need to do it all over again when the program moves to .227. people will quote this post too and say "yeah because that is how it works, it's called mamedev autism" like they actually sincerely believe that's true, it's wild
>>
>>7111296
Yeah well, it baffles me that people still reply to RA threads at all but what can you do?
>>
>>7111296
not only that but that it's actually IMPOSSIBLE to casually download individual games and toss them in your roms folder and just have a little mame setup of like 5-10 games, when that's literally the only way i've ever used it for the last 15+ years. they'll call me a liar for this post
>>
>>7111293
for as long as the system is supported, a rom from the latest mame romset should work with FBN
>>
File: D8CRtMS.jpg (41 KB, 374x374)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
I've downloaded mameUI and history.dat.

Is there a way to filter the list to show only games that support 4 players?
>>
>>7111306
http://www.progettosnaps.net/download?tipo=category&file=/renameset/packs/pS_category_226.zip

Unzip into your MAME folder. Select Category Players.ini from inside MAME and the number you want.
>>
>>7111315
Thanks bro
>>
how do I get artwork/background in mame? Im using shmupmame
>>
>>7111330
http://www.progettosnaps.net/index.php
>>
>>7111337
thanks
>>
>>7107697
What happened with him why did he "retire"?
>>
>>7108982
this
it wouldn't be so bad if the documentation was more... accessible
>>
>>7108982
It’s funny because people that talk about how open source MAME is, it operates like some sort of OEM software
>>
>>7111370
There's plenty of documentation out there, but it does involve reading which is more difficult than paying $9.99 for a Switch zoomer tile.
>>
>>7111363
hrt has taken a toll on his mental health
>>
File: GIF2.gif (1.64 MB, 838x1191)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB GIF
Anyone here have a living room TV that can do this for tate games?
>>
>>7111458
I don't do TVs anymore, but I have a swivel mount on my 27" monitor. I almost need a flipping booster seat to be ergonomically sound.
>>
>>7111363
I don't think he did? last I heard he got fed up with this same issue mame devs are facing and just decided to make his future shit closed source
>>
MAME is fucking awesome and I appreciate that the devs don't want to sacrifice the entire project only to appeal to the lowest common zoomie denominator.
They do need to take a look into fixing the input lag though
>>
>>7111517
>I don't think he did? last I heard he got fed up with this same issue mame devs are facing and just decided to make his future shit closed source
He did, his old website is gone and what remains is an archive. I don't trust the nightly builds of both bsnes and higan so I stuck to his last posted version of both.
Unfortunate that I couldn't read his farewell.
>>7111412
He did, he "unretired" last March? then retired again around July.
>>
>>7111554
wait, what? just last week I think I saw a post of his saying that all his future projects would be closed source. nothing about retiring.
>>
>>7111554
>retired
It's spelled retarded, idort
>>
>>7111692
>wait, what? just last week I think I saw a post of his saying that all his future projects would be closed source. nothing about retiring.
Where?
>>7111698
ok retard.
>>
>>7111896
On twitter. Dig through >9k pages of autistic rants if you care about the details. Was about 2 weeks ago.
>>
Does FinalBurn Neo use a subset of the Mame romsets or are the roms differently named/sized/whatever?

I hate the Mame interface with a passion but if they're the same it might be worth keeping a complete Mame set around while still being able to play Neo Geo/CPS/Model 2/Naomi games through RetroArch/Model 2 Emu without needing to separate out shit.
>>
>>7102361
Both are super garbage.
>>
>>7102361
they keep getting support requests/bitching for a version that's decades out of date and isn't even maintained by them
I'd be pissed too honestly, especially since people keep insisting that it's their the MAME team's problem

>>7107690
you don't
people say download a fullset of everything because it's zero effort apart from storage space requirements (and when 1TB of disk is like $60, no one cares about 60GB) and you know that everything will work
but if you just play one game, you download one or two zips and be on your way
>>
>>7107690
But you can, it's called a Merged set. It has all needed rom dumps and BIOS and device files in the same zip file.
>>
>when you finally, almost, kind of, maybe start understanding clrmamepro
>>
>>7111393
sorry, it's been over 5 years since i've last bothered with mame. it looks like theres WIP documentation now that doesn't look that bad.
as much as i hate retroarch's UI, isn't as undocumented on PC as mame was last i had checked.
>>
>>7108751
if you see someone seething about single people on the MAME team, i can almost guarantee that it's him.
>>
>>7112484
It's based on MAME, but they have their own sets and their own scheduled updates that aren't the same.
>>
>>7107632
He sounds like a whinny bitch
>>
>>7102361
MAME is autism put in a good way that can also be used for casual emulation.
Retroarch is a scam project that ultimately does more harm than it does good, but using it has value in some cases.
>>
>>7113980
Yeah no
>>
mame is not for playing games
>>
File: billy-mitchell.jpg (49 KB, 400x383)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>7113994
For Cheating maybe.
>>
>>7112756
>clrmamepro is a proprietary windows program
kinda retarded if you ask me
>>
>>7102361
maybe for the same reason that just a little over ayear ago people thought mednafen was shit, when it was in fact the best way to emulate ps1 and saturn. said people formed their initial poor impressions of mednafen because they used the then highly inferior retroarch core instead of the standalone.
>>
>>7114026
mednafen has lots of input lag so ya
>>
>>7114026
mednafen is so fucking good. i think my only complaint is the sheer size of the cfg file.

not having a UI makes it pretty flexible too, my window manager is literally the UI for it.
>>
>>7114026
What's the purpose of even having Mednafen cores in Retroarch? I thought they were basically the same thing taking other people's emulators and packaging them into one program.
>>
>>7114026

mednafen is actually superior on retroarch. ps1 has thousands of features on retroarch that standalone will never get and standalone is limites to native res and no enhancements, noone wants to play that.
>>
>>7114058
Broader file format support, controller support, better audio syncing and support on other platforms. There’s a lot of good reasons desu
>>
>>7108031
Story?
>>
>>7109295

Haze is a fucking idiot who doesn't even understand why people would want autofire built into mame. And then goes on tard rants on shmups.com consequently getting owned on it in a discussion. Eventually it was added.
>>
>>7106734
It's the Penders of mame
>>
>>7114539
>Haze is a fucking idiot
Mostly correct
>>7114539
>doesn't even understand why people would want autofire built into mame. And then goes on tard rants on shmups.com consequently getting owned on it in a discussion. Eventually it was added.
That's not what happened. People were screaming at him that it MUST be added, MAMEDEV MUST DO THIS NOW. He said "it's open source, if you want this feature, add it yourself". This led to autistic meltdown from a community infamous for being fucking useless complainers. "WE CAN'T POSSIBLY DO SOME PROGRAMMING! IT'S UP TO YOU! YOU MUST DO WHAT WE SAY! MAMEDEVS ARE MEAN!! I HATE MAME SOOO MUCH!"

Then someone there actually nutted up and fucking wrote the plugin code that MAME now uses for autofire proving Haze right all along.
>>
>>7109428
Sega Racing Classic was a remake with the exact same assets. Hence why it was the base for the PS3/Xbox 360 version of Daytona USA.
>>
Why are MAME versions so picky about the ROMs they get, anyway?
It doesn't make sense as other emulators are nearly as finicky.
>>
>>7114617
Higan is (or was) extremely picky. Hell, I think the attitude might even be spreading: there's been several shake-ups regarding ROM file formats in recent years, though every case hasn't resulted in the kind of aggressive white-listing/mandatory conversion scheme seen in MAME/higan.
>>
>>7108031
>>7108725
So they make the emulator not load it on purpose despite being able to emulate the hardware? Solid logic... except RPCS3 devs got a literal DCMA from Atlus about Persona 5 and they still kept the game playable, just the wiki guide for the best settings was removed, not the ability to play the game at all like Atlus wanted.
>>
>>7102361
cause one works on everything and the other is designed for autismos
>>
>>7102507
>it's outdated version of emulator that only handles outdated roms that aren't widely available
all one has to do is visit any tracker and type in retroarch or mame 2003
>>
>>7114617
Read >>7108145
Arcade games are not practically like anything else that is emulated.
>>7114706
Poor comparison as consoles are not arcade machines. It's actually hard to block running a specific console game if you have made an emulator that supports all features faithfully.
The real reason they removed Sonic Bros is nothing to do with legal threats and all about placating the weirdos hoarding ROMs who promise we'll all get one more hit if they don't make these games public. It's fucking retarded, never works (control freak autists will always find something to complain about to renege on their deals and thus keep their power), and I think a policy even MAMEdevs are starting to reconsider.
Then there's all the stuff that disappeared down a black hole with Shoutime.
>>
>>7102943
this was the correct answer. why is any of this shit worth worrying about. one set of nerds crying about some other set of nerds, who cares.
>>
>>7114617
Because accuracy is the goal, not making things just werk. Operation Wolf worked, but wasn't properly emulated for ages. A while back they decapped and dumped a protected MCU for the game, that file has been added to the required files needed to run Operation Wolf. This is because the old fake emulation is no longer present in the MAME code, now it's using that dump. IF they made MAME accept the old romset for Operation Wolf, they would have dumb cunts whining about emulation errors when using the old romsets. Emulation errors that would be fixed just by using the new files. They already have an endless stream of idiots whining about RA cores, do you think having more people complaining about bugs that have been fixed years ago would make this better or worse?

Literally, they won't do it because the retards who won't read would create problems. If they could trust people to be smart enough to not complain about already fixed problems, they might be willing to make MAME accept all old roms just to get people to shut up. To those who say "That wouldn't happen!", look at the steady stream of people complaining to the MAME devs about problems with the cores in RA.

TL;DR version: MAME is the way it is to keep idiots from slowing shit down for everyone else. You'll notice NO ONE has forked MAME and made it accept all old roms. Because no one wants to deal with the idiots.
>>
>>7115081
>>7114754
Points taken.
I myself have no issues, the arcade roms I have match my versions of MAME and FBA fine.
I always have more than one option for emulation.
Also, NOT a fan of RA. GUI is shit.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.