[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Yakuza-sega.jpg (27 KB, 266x375)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
Finally playing this, is it really Shenmue but good?
>>
Shenmue except braindead and soulless. Enjoy!
>>
>>7100825
Better gameplay but much less soul.
>>
>>7100825

It really reminds me more of River City Ransom than Shenmue. I can see why people compare it to the latter, but this is more RPG beat-em-up while Shenmue is an open world version of an old adventure game.
>>
Don't listen to them, this game's got one hell of a great atmosphere and much better gameplay
>>
I havnt played the game, but I bought it for my ps2. It never does anything but black screen. Guess I got a bad copy of it?
>>
>>7100825
Can I go to the arcade in Yakuza or gamble on street corners?
>>
File: shenmue ii.webm (2.99 MB, 640x474)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB WEBM
>imagine getting filtered by a VF-lite combat system
yakuza is the game for you
>>
>>7100870

Yeah, I don't know if in the original PS2 one, but most of you can so I assume so.
>>
Play Kiwami
>>
>>7100870
felt like it took forever to let you fuck about and go to arcades in the first ones. havent played past 2
>>
It can't touch the first Shenmue and its weird pensive style. However, they're competent games. SEGA knew how to make a good game.
>>
>>7100825
It's literally that, yeah.
>>
>>7100825
It's Shenmue but finished. Also I'd suggest playing the Kiwami version but hey if you wanna do PS2 than more power to ya.
>>
>>7100828
This is unfortunately the truth
>>
>>7100825
it's better and have more soul
Shenmue was trash and soulless onmy the nostalgia fags will claim otherwise
>>
>>7101435
t. zoomlet

You had to be there to understand the impact of Shenmue, nothing else was as immersive as that game at the time. Truly revolutionary.
>>
>>7101481
holy shit, >>7101435 was right, fags did say otherwise.
>>
File: shenmue.webm (992 KB, 640x480)
992 KB
992 KB WEBM
>>7101435
>more soul
I'm afraid I'm going to need evidence of that.
>>
>>7100828
revisionist because it suggests Shenmue isn't braindead and soulless too

both are ok
>>
They're both fun but, Shenmue is more like a classic adventure game. Yakuza will work out much better for your regular attention deficit disorder gamer. Also there's no way that I would play the PS2 version when Kiwami exists.
>>
>>7100849
The disk seems to be pretty sensitive, I had to buy it THREE TIMES and buy another console because my ps2 slim (those are pieces of shit btw) fucked the disks up while reading them
>>
it's a great game if you can deal with the horrendous english va
>>
>>7101495
>I'm afraid I'm going to need evidence of that.
the final boss in Yakuza 1 was the epitome of SOUL, the feelings atmosphere backstory all were perfect, nothing from SHITmue comes close to it
and the music was dope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NlJMxdHSDE
>>
>>7101569
Shenmue is not soulless but it is braindead yes. Yakuza is a bit less braindead but more soulless. 0 shits on all shenmue games combined
>>
>>7101656
>>7100958
>>7100919
The absolute state of this fuckin board
>>
>>7101957
even that zombie Yakuza spin-off is better than Shitmue
>>
Can you ride the train in either game?
>>
>>7100872
I dont get what makes this more difficult than yakuza. What am I missing?
>>
>>7100825
No Yakuza doesn't even approach Shenmue's level until Yakuza 5. That being said it's still worth playing.

Y0>Y2>Y5>Y6>Y3>Y1>Y4
>>
>>7102129
>doesn't even approach Shenmue's level
both Shitmue games combined aren't even 10% good as the worst Yakuza game out there
>>
>>7102152
>both
There are three Shenmue games but nice try larping as someone who actually plays games instead of parroting youtubers.
>>
>>7100825
Both Shenmue and Yakuza are ok, but you need to tone down your expectations.

Combat is really clunky compared to other beat them ups of same gen(God Hand, Urban Reign, Viewtiful Joe). It's more about the storytelling and the world than the gameplay.

If you like JRPGs, you probably will enjoy more than a Platinumfag.
>>
>>7101958
For joins. kiwami removed content and made bosses worse. Only reason to play kiwami is if you are graphics whore
>>
>>7100825
It's not really like Shenmue at all beyond the superficial aspect of running around a town and punching people. The games have some shared appeal, but Yakuza is generally a much more funny and ridiculous game. Shenmue's appeal is in its slower pace and attention to detail.

The first two Yakuza games are good, though. Especially the first one. The series loses me after that, though.
>>
>>7102304
yet kiwami added content, runs beautifully, and is actually in Japanese
>>
>>7100825
Well, you're playing it, right? Form your own opinion.
>>
Yakuza is a shitty ripoff of the sopranos: road to respect, which itself is already a mediocre licensed game.
Imagine ripping off a shovelware licensed game.
>>
>>7102363
This
>>
>>7102173
>There are three Shenmue games
that pile of garbage called Shitmue 3 is not retro you retard so why should i mention it here?
oh i guess you are a /v/ tourist who lost his way home
here faggot begone >>>/v/
>>
>>7102592
lol what a spaz you are.
>>
So I finally got around to playing it for a few hours, and while I am enjoying it, I don't really get the comparison to Shenmue. Yakuza seems like much more of a straightforward action adventure game with maybe a touch more emphasis on story, but I don't think people would speak of these games in the same breath if not for the fact that they both allow you to explore an area in Japan while being a martial arts badass. The combat in Yakuza feels better, its exaggerated violence at its finest and has a decent upgrade system attached to it, compared to Shenmue which didn't even let you fight enough to learn how to fight, and upgrading moves was realistic but boring. In terms of story thus far I also give it to Yakuza, it story beats are more dramatic and always has a feeling of significance, while in Shenmue you spend half the game chasing low level thugs. Yakuza also has a good open world to explore with much more side content than Shenmue, I just beat Shenmue again this month with the goal of focusing on side content and was surprised at how little there is to do outside of the main story. What Shenmue excels in is atmosphere, its world is designed so well and has great music to accompany each scene, its a treat just to explore it even when you're not doing anything of importance. And the way its structured to feel like everyday life makes it unlike most video games. Yakuza is great so far but it doesn't invalidate Shenmue, it does several things better than Shenmue but doesn't come close in the one realm that Shenmue completely owns, capturing the subtle beauty of everyday life.
>>
whos the fucking moron who decided to allow ps2 in this board again?

"PERSONA 4 IS MY FAVOURITE RETRO GAME LOL"
>>
Shenmue and Yakuza have the same amount of SOUL. Yakuza is just a few years more advanced in the gameplay department.
>>
>>7102860
>yakuza
>soul
>LELELE RUBBER BULLETS KIRYU SO WACKY

go back to lebbit
>>
>>7100825
Apparently Mark Hamill has no recollection of voicing Goro Majima.
>>
>>7102850
Persona 4 is not allowed here.
>>
>>7100825
No, it's terrible and somehow the localization is even worse.
>>
>>7100828
>Shenmue except braindead and soulless.

So Shenmue 3?
>>
>>7100958
>Kiwami version
I heard that's the bad one
>>
>>7100825
One thing this board taught me is to go against what the majority says. Seems they are all telling that it's shiy so it must be awesome. Try it.
>>
>>7102803

Yes, I agree. People compare it to Shenmue because it has a town you wander around, and it is Sega. They're really not very similar other than that.

Yakuza is a beat-em-up.
>>
>>7103895
Then you're shit out of luck because they're both bad.
>>
>>7100825
I'm glad people are still going back and playing the original PS2 version of Yakuza instead of the garbage remakes.
The first two PS2 games have a lot of atmosphere missing from later entries, and the artstyle changed a lot too.

The best versions of 1 and 2 are the HD ports on PS3 and Wii U, but unfortunately they're only in Japanese. I would still recommend playing then with a guide if you have the patience for it because the games look beautiful, run well, and have slight gameplay improvements while still keeping the feel of the originals.
>>
>>7100825
The PS3 games get closer to Shenmue with much less interactivity.
>>
>>7100825
More wordy and more braindead combat.
>>
>>7100825
yes it's better in every aspect than Shitmue
>>
>>7104534
>shitmue
>aniki, I posted it again!
>>
>>7100825
Yes. Don't play Kiwami, it's way too long and you won't get to see Mark Hamill as Majima and Kiryu constantly calling people retarded while sounding like an average /fit/ user.
>>
>>7102882
>He's not voicing Majima in Y7
Goddamit
>>
>>7105271
yeah anon i know, calling it Shitmue is disrespectful to feces at least they have their use as fertilizers while Shenmue is a failure as a game without any redeeming points
>>
>>7100825
It is shenmue.
>>
>>7100832
>>7104069
Did any the Yakuza games which belong on /vr/ even have weird minigames and in-game arcades? Because that's the main thing that both franchises have in common, but afaik the Yakuza games didn't surpass Shenmue in that respect until the PS4 remakes.
>>
yakuza is just shenmue for 9fag zoomers
shenmue is too serious and "boring" for them, so they need the 24/7 action for their minuscule attention span, memes, the wacky lol so randumb humour xD and the japanese girl videos cause they're sad lonely weebs as usual
>>
Can we have a single Shenmue/Yakuza thread without you retard faggots shitflinging the two despite them being nothing alike aside from being games in Asia where you explore cities?
>>
>>7102803
>got around to playing it
>don't really get the comparison to Shenmue
Because this bullshit is parroted only by retards who didn't play either game. They are different genres of games and both very good.
>>
>>7103895
I couldn't tell you since I only played Kiwami. I found it to be acceptable.
>>
>>7101947
The final fight from Yakuza 1 really epitomizes the entire franchise.
An over the top honor battle which has to be fought between two shirtless Yakuza with a rich history who both deep down wish it didn't have to be this way.
Yakuza 0 (Not retro I know) also added a lot more depth to that fight by having such a detailed and rich bro backstory for those two.
>>
>>7102363
>is actually in Japanese
But I'm playing the original in Japanese right now. How do you explain that?
>>
>>7103984
No you nigger, you need to simply tune out of everyone's opinions here since no one's actually interested in playing anything, only shitposting.
>>
>>7108998
probably because you soft modded your PS2 so you could make sure to play an inferior version :p
>>
>>7101481
and you had to be there to understand the impact of my penis in your mother's vagina, nothing else was as revolutionary. Sadly, you weren't there to grasp it's importance.
>>
>>7109113
kek, what a fucking comeback
>>
>>7100825
First game's story: yes. Gameplaywise the remake is superior. But it started to turn into a Majima cocksucking with Yakuza 5 and they completely shafted the story and characters onwards. The community is also such a bunch of tasteless cucks
>>
>>7100825
playing as a comically huge gigachad turns every scene in the game into a comedy skit
>>
It seems like no one can answer if there are minigames in the 1st 2. DO people actually play retro games here?
>>
I want to play Yakuza 2 on the ps2, would I be missing out if I played that version over the remake?
>>
>>7110447
>DO people actually play retro games here?
Let me ponder that and I'll get back to you.
>>
>>7110447
I only played 2, but yes, it has tons of minigames and other distractions.
I haven't played the remake, so I don't know how they compare.
>>
>>7110490
Ok, thank you. Will grab it then.
>>
>>7102201
Yeah you are are, I played Yakuza Kiwami and expected Shenmue to also let me go to places and eat/buy stuff and just fuck around on lots of places, but nah, just the arcade and slots, still a very good game though.
>>
It's shenmue but with good combat. The remake is even better but that's not retro.
Shenmue combat was always weird to me even at the time because I was used to more straightforward action games.
>>
File: y2.jpg (881 KB, 2880x1620)
881 KB
881 KB JPG
>>7100825
Although I like Shenmue (the first and only the first game), Yakuza is superior in almost every way. Combat that's actually good (as opposed to barely even playable), great storyline, fantastic sidequests, and throughout the series the city of Kamurocho becomes almost its own character.

I looked into doing an undub of the first game but got stuck when the audio files didn't match up between the JP/US versions so I unfortunately had to shelve that project.
>>
>>7100828
fpbp
>>
>>7107608
>didn't surpass Shenmue in that respect until the PS4 remakes.
Yakuza 1 and 2 had a couple of minigames, but they didn't start going all out with arcade games and side activities until the PS3 Yakuzas. The PS4 games just continued what the PS3 games already did.
>>
>>7100872
Yakuza is more difficult though? The combat is easier to grasp, but Shenmue's fights are all piss easy aside from like one or two fights at the end of Shenmue 2 and the optional fight with Gollum in 1.
>>
>>7110451
I haven't played the PS2 version, but the Kiwami versions are pretty great. There's tons of added content and as long as you have modern hardware you can run it at 120fps pretty easy. if you're really going to play the PS2 version I would make sure to at least get an undub though.
>>
>>7110451
I don't know what you'll be missing out on as I haven't played the Kiwamis yet, but Yakuza 2 on PS2 is fantastic. It remained my favorite up until 5.

>>7112961
Yakuza 2 was never dubbed to begin with.
>>
>>7112961
Even with the dub the PS2 version of Yakuza 1 is preferable to Kiwami 1.
That games has so many issues and is clearly just a budget title rushed out months after 0.

Kiwami 2 is fine though, however, I still can't forgive them for cutting Shinseicho from the game. There's no good reason for that other than they fucked up their schedule. I really wanted to explore that in the Dragon Engine.
>>
>>7112980
>even with the dub
this man is clearly insane so I wouldn't take anything he says seriously from now on.
>>
>>7100828
>bawww nobody likes my walking simulator
>>
>>7112709
>Yakuza is more difficult though?
Not really, as long as you have enough Staminan-X, you can kind of bulldoze through the entire series (not counting arena battles). I say this as a fan of the franchise, btw.
>>
>>7113089
A lot of people's complaints to difficulty with Yakuza and it's remakes were obviously intentional.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTI7BUZ4rgc

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.