[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: proxy-image.jpg (94 KB, 800x450)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
Was MGS2 really meant to end the series or was that a meme?
>>
>>7087459
I don't know.
>>
pretty sure Kojima said that for like every single major MGS release save for mgs1 but then money
>>
>>7087459
every game was meant to end the series but kojimbo is an undecisive man
>>
Seeing how the series only advanced backwards since then (except for mgs4, but they killed snake there to guarantee no sequel could come), I believe it.
>>
What's the best way to play this one nowadays?
>>
>>7087517
I have no idea.
>>
>>7087517
HD edition on your console of choice
>>
>>7087531
My 360 is japanese region so it can't play it
shit sucks
>>
>>7087537
well just emulate then
>>
>COLONEL, I MANAGED TO AVOID DROWNING IN EMMA'S PUSSY
>>
>>7087553
>Good work Raiden, now make your way to strut D where you can bone emma with no security patrols or cameras
>>
>>7087517
It was recently put on GOG. Download and check it out.
>>
>>7087459
Kojima is a hack and the Metal Gear franchise is beyond cringe. Not retro.
>>
>>7087459
>Ends on a cliffhanger
>Snake says he's going to find the Patriots and stop Ocelot

Duh guys was it supposed to end here uh I can't tell
>>
>>7088773
only from 4 onwards
>>
>>7087537
and yet my PAL 360 will quite happily play US & Jap releases. RGH that 360 cunt
>>
>>7088670
That port is quite poor even with fan patches
>>7087517
only talking about MGS2 PS3 is the overall best because it includes all the games
the best way to play 2/3/PW specifically is probably
Series S|X/One X/One S(Rock solid framerate, 16xaniso)
360(minor frame drops still good enough)
PS3(worse frame drops still good enough)
Vita
PS2(you could bump this if you really care about that skateboarding minigame or guy savage scenes)
PC(port)
>>
>>7089156
forgot the Nvidia Shield TV Version it sits somewhere between Series S|X/One X/One S and PS3
>>
>>7087459
idk but the ending cutscene to this game blew my 10 year old mind at the time. I still find Snake’s soliloquy beautiful, and I couldn’t tell you between Kojima’s own writing or Agness’ punched up localization where the brilliance of it came out. It’s sad that “meme” immediately became misappropriated after its introduction to contemporary English, because it means something truly beautiful in its original context.
>>
>>7087517
HD port, followed by emulating the PS2 version of Substance.
>>7088670
No, that port eats ass.
>>7089348
Thank Tomokazu Fukushima. Kojima is a hack and Kaku is a cunt who earned her position of being blacklisted because of her smug dismissive attitude towards the medium and her willingness to rewrite dialogue whenever she didn't like it.
>>
>>7089357
>dude, the guy who wrote the incidental codecs is the true brains behind Metal Gear
You're like those people who think Lawrence Kasdan made Star Wars good.
>>
>>7089380
Then explain how MGS got profoundly fucking retarded from 4 onwards.
>>
Maybe. MGS4 only exists because of death threats regarding 2's ambiguity.
>>
>no thief threads
>mgs threads still going strong
Based the best franchise won.
>>
>>7088774
It was. Open endings aren't that unusual. MGS2 is thematically conclusive.
>>7089357
>Fukushima meme
Teenagers were a mistake.
>>
>>7089698
Him and the rest of Konami Computer Entertainment Japan were the only ones who kept Kojima from going full retard and bad gameplay. But then they gave him his own studio and look what happens...
>>
>>7089719
Fukushima had nothing to do with gameplay. He helped write the codec scripts and he was, presumably, somebody Kojima might have bounced ideas off of. The idea that he was secretly responsible for everything good about Metal Gear -- or even just Metal Gear as a story -- is dumb.
>>
>>7089845
stay mad no cares about thief
>>
>>7089879
i don't think he's mad though
>>
>>7089879
stay triggered over based mgs threads and people liking this series schizo.
>>
>>7087531
Codecs load way too slow on ps3. You will not have fun
>>
>>7089917
MGS is great though, not for stealth but for everything else.
>>
>>7089380
>You're like those people who think Lawrence Kasdan made Star Wars good.
so people who actually understand behind the scenes effort? Kasdan wrote the best Star Wars, and wrote the best Indiana Jones. He did make Star Wars good. Not him alone, but he was instrumental.
>>
>the anti mgs fag was the anti treasure autist
based jannies
>>
>>7090573
>being on the same side as the trannyjanny
oof, not a good look for you mgsfags
>>
>>7090743
>hating treasure
mental illness
>>
File: 1605660453574.jpg (8 KB, 168x299)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>7087459
Who knows really, Kojima is a crazy man. Didnt he want to end the whole series with MGS3? I read he received death threats because he didnt want to make MGS4 initially. Thats a shame.

Btw, its offtopic but does anyone have the screenshot of that old /v/ post about Lambert from Splinter Cell reading the intro dialogue of MGS1? Its a longshot but I cant find that pic anywhere in the internet for some reason. If anyone has it saved please post it again
>>
>>7092331
no it was MGS2 that he wanted to quit after but probably got inspired after he thought of the concept on MGS3
MGS4 was the last straw that supposed to be directed by Shuyo Murata
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW_Y2ea7i2o
>>
>>7092331
>>7092346
Think originally he didn't want to make MGS2 either; his team was supposed to handle it while he focused on new projects but they couldn't manage/produced subpar results leading him to stepping back in. A lot of the game's themes about difference between training and the real thing, and about what we pass on had elements of this where he felt he hadn't adequately prepared his team to work without him.
>>
>>7087459
If anything, MGS1 was meant to be the end by tying up the last bits of plot from the MSX games and giving Snake a good sendoff. MGS2 was where Kojima decided he could be philosophical and so he wrecked Snake's happy ending as part of it.
>>
>>7087517
HD version on 360 or ps3
Or console version of substance
At last, play it with the pc port with patches
>>
>lalilulelo
what the fuck does that mean?
>>
>>7087472
>to guarantee no sequel could come

Because fiction never resurrects characters. Konami will throw enough money at Kojima to save their whole company and SSnake's next appearance will be a farce to save a lost company
>>
>>7087472
mgs5 is fun unless you're expecting a story or any sort of plot closure
>>
>>7093532
It honestly has a better story than most of the series. MGS 1 set the bar very high, and every single sequel falls way short.
>>
>>7093485
it's not explained in the games so i don't know how anyone every figured this out, but it's what the nanomachines make people say instead of "patriots" in order to maintain their secrecy
>>
>>7093563
>i don't know how anyone every figured this out

Those syllables do not appear in the Japanese language. So no one speaking Japanese CAN say it. An "n" factor or some such.
>>
>>7093586
>>7093563

I just watched a clip and it's mentioned in MGS4 when Snake and Drebin meet and he says he has no speech restrictions after saying the word patriots
>>
>>7087459
Mgs 2 is a "remake" of mgs 1 is a remake of mg2 is a remake of mg
>>
File: 1579130773822.jpg (91 KB, 720x1280)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>7089156
>360/PS3 versions over PS2 version
>>
>>7087465
Pretty much this. I think 3 wrapped it up though.
>>
>>7087459
It ended the series for me bc I don’t have time to sit through 3 hours of post-modern existential bullshit cutscenes for every 20 minutes of gameplay
>>
I've had it I'm going to japan and sticking my sick into a Japanese dude's ass
>>
>>7087459
>MGS6
>Snake is revived from suspended animation by newly advanced nanomachines and biotechnology that can repair his telomeres and strengthen him with quadruple stranded DNA
>>
>>7093586
Worth pointing out that -a -i -u -e -o is the order of vowels in Japanese, like how in English it's -a -e -i -o -u.
>>
Meme Gene and Scene, Kojimbo truly is a time traveling alien from ancient nippon
>>
>>7087459
alright, I played this game on my PS2 years ago but never beat it. I'm trying to get it working on PCSX2 and it's having terrible slowdown on the opening cutscene. Anyone have any solutions?
>>
why there are so many references to aliens in this game?
I still haven't played mgs4, did they expand on this?
>>
>>7089726
Codec is %75 of the game fyi
>>
>>7096092
That doesn't mean he was responsible for every thematic idea or plot point. He wasn't.
>>
>>7087459
He said no but the game is filled with a bunch of pop entertainment style sequel bait so it seems that he knew that eventually the game would get a sequel even if he didn't know how it would go.
>>
>>7093485
Japs can't pronounce it in their language SO IT'S LIKE THE PATRIOTS DON'T EXIST! WTFFF KOJIMAAAA
>>
>>7093670
Do you mind elaborating on that?
>>
>>7087459
>>7087465
>>7087467
>>7087472
>>7089412
>>7089698
>>7096197

What a remarkably stupid thing to say.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/news010903

Funny how one fucking simple Google search can answer a simple goddamn question and yet all you idiots think you're right.
>>
File: Kojima MGS4.png (182 KB, 839x819)
182 KB
182 KB PNG
>>7096639
Because we are right. Here's Kojima himself. I don't think he ever believed the IP itself was going to end, but he did intend on MGS2 being the last of the story he started.
>idiots
>remarkably stupid
[raughs]
>>
he wanted to give 3 to his team but they were doing a shit job so he stepped back in, pretty much what happened for 4 as well and rising
>>
>>7093536
Yeah, the story isn't bad. It's just that the presentation sucks since most of it is in the tapes. People set their expectations way too high with retarded theories like a full blown remake of MG1 and MG2 being hidden after you finish the "main story" of MGSV before release. They were disappointed when they didn't get their own version of the MGS4 fanwank.
>>
>>7096695
I want to stick my dick in Kojima's old ass
>>
>>7096695
MGS3 even implies that Ocelot was literally possessed by Liquid in 2, since Ocelot's dad was a ESP.... and then MGSV had Liquid with enough hate influence Mantis. It really feels like MGS4 fits in the whole saga the least.
>>
>>7093485
I've also heard that it's related to how first message sent over the internet was word 'lo'. They wanted to send 'login', but the system crashed after they've typed the first two letters.
>>
what hideo meant with Gary McGolden story?
is he making fun of conspiracy theorists or what?
>>
>>7099542
aliens
>>
>>7100310
but why? what role they have in the story?
>>
>>7087459
I've heard that the original ending had Otacon and Snake being executed after being framed as terrorists, but apparently Konami shut that down and Kojima used Raiden as 'plan b'.
>>
>>7096697

nigger Platinum developed Rising with Kojima producing or whatever
>>
>>7100320
That was MGS4.
>>
>>7100360
Rising was initially being developed internally by Kojima studio, back when it was known as Metal Gear Solid Rising. That project eventually got stuck, leading to production being restarted by Platinum as Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, with Kojima overseeing external work.
>>
>>7100360
you're retarded
>>
does the gog version of 2 fix any of the PC problems? Can you play it without Creative Alchemy?
>>
>>7101529
From what I heard on /v/ the answer is no.
Still the same shit ports.
>>
>>7093586
>Those syllables do not appear in the Japanese language. So no one speaking Japanese CAN say it
This is actually a common misconception. In the original Japanese they are simply called the rarirurero. And they are in the native hiragana in the subtitles, meaning not a foreign word or not trying to pronounce non-Japanese syllables. This was later changed in the English version from Rs to Ls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJMfh_LPDN4
>>
>>7102092
whoresome
>>
>>7102092
Snake has a much sexier voice in Japanese compared to his English cancer lung.
>>
>>7088670
>>7089156
>>7089357
>PC
is there something wrong with v's fix?
https://github.com/VFansss/mgs2-v-s-fix
>>
>>7098381
Where do people get that trivia about Ocelot's Dad being The Sorrow? I don't remember that coming up anywhere in the game when I played it.
>>
>>7102639
The Boss explicitly says "The Sorrow was the father" in her long speech before the fight
>>
>>7102651
Yes I remember that she had a child and that it was taken from her, but where was it established that that was Ocelot?
>>
>>7102653
That I don't remember. It must've been implied somewhere because I felt I knew after my first playthrough.
>>
>>7100315
I got the impression that it was written in a way to gatekeep Nastasha's leak, so it can be dismissed as another kooky "conspiracy theory". That's how the Patriots operate. Remember how pissy the AI colonel got when Raiden brings up the Nastasha novel, it leaked too much information and even names the Patriots so they had to cover it under junk data and gatekeeping.
>>
>>7102653

people originally pieced it together because if i remember correctly there's a codec conversation about ocelot being born on a battlefield and having to be c sectioned out of his mother, which left a snake scar. the boss tells you basically the same story about her kid with the sorrow and shows you the snake scar.
>>
>>7102783
this makes sense, remember me of the hypothesis of flat earth theory is fabricated spam used as a mean to delegittimize places where not approved discussion take place
even the colonel said something about an orange light hinting UFOs, maybe hideo is saying alien stuff is just misdirection too?
>>
I always hated this game until MGS4 came out because it said two things:
>the people who are The Patriots all died long ago
>Liquid, who presumably knew all that Ocelot knew, was going to literally go to where The Patriots were hiding and kill them

It made no sense unless all that was left of The Patriots in MGS2 were AIs running themselves and the world after their original creators died, but then even Ocelot would have to believe that there were real people behind the orders he was given. Even the President said that The Patriots were living people but he didn't know their identities, so he was also fooled by the AIs.

and then they were just the goofy radio support team from MGS3 all along...
>>
>>7103167
I'm of course writing this knowing full well that the whole bullshit about Ocelot hypnotizing himself to be Liquid was not even a thought in Kojima's mind at this point. The different voice actors proves it across all versions.
>>
>>7103167
MGS2 implied that Ocelot didn't have the full picture, either. It's why he's mistaken about the purpose of the S3 plan. MGS4 retcons this, of course.
>>
>>7103227
I guess what I'm saying is that MGS2 only made sense in a vacuum with the unsatisfactory conclusion that AIs were firmly in control of everything the entire time and for the foreseeable future and that Raiden made sure of that. It's pretty bleak unless you agree with The Patriots that society needs to be controlled and influenced by unseen hands to make sure only relevant information and values are passed on to each generation.
>>
>>7103167
Patriots were revealed dead in MGS 2 in post credits.
>>
>>7103252
That's what I mean, it sucked.
When that fact is made known, it's revealed that everyone in the game was either misinformed or ignorant about being puppets for AIs the entire time. Felt like shit.
>>
>>7103246
I don't think it's bleak at all. Solidus's plan was doomed from the beginning; Raiden isn't responsible for the victory of the Patriots. Solidus was part of their plan, not an outside threat they countered with Raiden.

The Patriots are a concrete entity in the plot, but they're also an obvious allegory for authority in abstract, including society at large. That's why they're appropriately slippery and nebulous. Snake's speech is the concluding statement of the game for a reason. Even up against something like the Patriots there's room for individuation. It's always a struggle, but it's a worthwhile project. The game ends on existential optimism.
>>
>>7102808
Which codec conversation was that and with who?
>>
It's been a long time since I played but didn't solidus feel shoehorned in?
Literally no mention of him until after raiden torture scene
>>
>>7103425
No? He's the instigator of the terrorist plot. Even if it was the Patriots who manipulated him into doing that, he still played that role.
>>
Modern audiences can't appreciate open endings that make you think what really happened. They want definitive answers.
MGS4 was a mistake.
>>
>>7103509
Don't worry most people skip / zone out during 2 hour cutscenes
>>
>>7087465
Strangely he said the same shit about MGS1. Solidus was originally meant to be a joke. True story.
>>
>>7089698
>MGS2 is thematically conclusive.

MGS2 was a fucking experiment and a fucking joke. It was never meant to be taken seriously (beyond whatever Kojima intended the game to be, of course).
>>
>>7096163
But he kept Kojima's nonsense in check and managed to present it in an understandable and interesting way to the players. When Kojima runs havoc it results in gargabe barely anyone understands the point Kojima is trying to make - see MGS4 and sense.
>>
>>7102259
Snake's english voice in MGS1 was perfect, though.
>>
>>7103252
>>7103286
Patriots weren't meant to be AI though. They were originally written to be AI in MGS2's first draft but Kojima then changed it and addressed this issue further in MGS3. For whatever reason he backpedaled on it in MGS4 - but the general idea were for the Patriots to be real people even if an AI was communicating to Jack.
>>
>>7103286
I actually liked the post-credits scene and thought it was a cool twist. What I didn't like was everything after Solidus died. I was expecting that the game would have a really exciting conclusion with lots of spectacle and the participation of all the main characters in a big battle, for a nice resolution to the story. Something like what happened after the Metal Gear Rex fight. Snake and Raiden's philosophical NYC chat felt like a big wet blanket to me.
>>
File: splinter cell solid.png (127 KB, 981x345)
127 KB
127 KB PNG
>>7092331
>>
>>7103425
I think he had the same voice actor as Solid in Japanese, which made the whole situation ~sort of a mystery for the early game. (You overhear him talking during Ames, before you meet him in person and Snake comes in)
>>
Patriots/quint L's = jews
>>
>>7103515
Most people are fucking morons.
>>
>>7096639
Are you retarded? I'm not even gonna click your faggot link, it's very well known Kojima wanted out of the series after 2.
>>
>>7088774
no, it wasn't like this. the whole point of the ending was that there were never any patriots to begin with. the plot of MGS2 is a bunch of hot air around nothing and you learn that at the very end. ocelot went on to find people that never existed. come on man, have you forgotten snake's epic 10 minute rant about this very fact? the whole thing about not worrying that there was no purpose since you can create purpose yourself?
>>
File: snake+fisher.jpg (77 KB, 960x891)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>7104123
God bless you anon I was looking for that image everywhere. Thank you for sharing, here's a cheers to you.
>>
>>7103896
And he had a head-cold in that game.
>>
Bumping to prevent page 11
>>
Diamond Dogs
>>
>>7093485
"LA li lu le lo" was something a vocal coach used to have you say or sing in different keys to warm up your vocal chords. My music teacher in elementary school had us sing it for 5 minutes or so before we sang a chorus.
I only ever came across it in the 80's and early 90's, so IDK if it's all that common any more. But I destincrly remember playing MGS2 the first time in 2001 and chuckling to myself about that.

Funny thing is now all google results are MGS2 related.
>>
>>7093485
it's the same thing as saying (((them))) on the internet.
>>
>>7106809
Except it's a 4chan filter in real life.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.