[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: unnamed (1).gif (13 KB, 512x448)
13 KB
13 KB GIF
While maybe commonplace these days, what are some earlier examples of self-referential meta in older games? Off the top of my head, I can think of SMB3's "Princess is in another castle" joke (granted, that was a localization joke), Kirby's Adventure's black and white level which was a truncated version of Kirby's Dreamland, and pixel Mario transformation in Super Mario RPG. The sunken flying ship in Super Mario World and Ninji cameo would possibly fit in this box, but they really aren't as "out of the box" as the other examples.
>>
File: smb2.jpg (252 KB, 640x720)
252 KB
252 KB JPG
>>6993835
Super Mario Bros. 2 has a secret World 9 that's basically an extended shout out to a Minus World in the original version of SMB where players could go to a World 9 and it looked all fucked up. SMB2 in general seems to be very much targeting 'people who have played the original SMB to death' so this is a fun shout out.
Sadly All Stars missed the point of this World and turned it into a more normal looking place, it losts a lot of the surreal energy it had in the original.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (80 KB, 1200x639)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>6993835
This is an interesting topic, OP.

I think a distinction cat be made between story-based meta (the Mario stuff like the airships), which is basically about a continuing storyline anyway, and meta that extends to medium-related stuff, such as the GB Kirby area or stuff like this from the ending of the 16-bit Pitfall game.
>>
Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure has an Atari 2600 level.
>>
>>6993835
>black and white level which was a truncated version of Kirby's Dreamland
I feel really stupid for never noticing this.
>>
>>6994331
I feel bad for those who played the GBA version because the enemies didn't get their palette changed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYLrCPp_SXw
>>
>>6994054
You're kidding me... so once your rescue Pitfall Harry, that's what he looks like? lol that's awesome.
>>
>>6994332
That's lame. Luckily I had played the NES version, but I was just too dumb to notice that the level layout was based on Dreamland. I just figured the palette and the music were the only two references for some reason.
>>
File: ftlty.jpg (76 KB, 1280x720)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>
It's not really meta but Castlevania games constantly reference each other. The castle layout usually has some major or minor similarities along with some more direct shout outs like Rondo's beast appearing dead in Symphony.
>>
Metal gear 2 refers to the MSX a lot
>>
In Castlevania 3, in the 1st level inside Dracula's Castle you hear the Vampire Killer theme which is named "Deja vu"
>>
>>6994480
In SotN when someone asks Alucard if he knows Belmont, he briefly imagines Trevor's CV3 sprite.
>>
>>6993835
Marathon trilogy does this a bit. For example, the original game ends with you and Durandal stealing the enemy alien spaceship, in which maybe a quarter of the levels take place. In the sequel, the enemies fight back and ground your ship, which you must fight in the ship again, one of the levels being a straight recreation of a previous level, and the level-ending terminal text says "This is an unimportant part of the ship, have no idea why you were teleported here" before beaming you somewhere else.
>>
Literally every long running game like >>6994480
Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Sonic, the list goes on
>>
File: 870.jpg (17 KB, 400x300)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
I'm surprised no one posted this yet.
>>
>>6993835
Very, very underrated thread. This level in Kirby's Adventure was always very interesting. And I'm sure there's many more examples than what people came up with so far. It's such an insightful observation and great question. I would come to /vr/ so much more if there were more threads like this, instead of bait threads, childish bickering and pointless venom and vitriol.
>>
Thank you
>>
>>6995625
i played the Twin Snakes version but only had smash bros
>>
File: E1M4_Swastika.png (126 KB, 640x480)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
Closest I can think of is the swastika in E1M4 intended to be a Wolfenstein shoutout. I'm also thinking about the Pac Man secret level in Wolfenstein complete with special ghost enemies, but that's more of a reference rather than a intraseries metajoke.
>>
Jet Set Willy 2 ends with you falling into the toilet and ending up in the central cavern of Manic Miner.

>>6994060
Didn't you flat out rescue the 2600 version of Harry at the end of the game?
>>
>>6993835
I don't know what you'd really call it but Doki Doki Panic had plenty of crossover with the original Super Mario Bros in terms of staff working on it and the game plenty of SMB references. Most of these were obviously carried over to when it was turned into literally being a Mario game.
>>
>>6996887
I want to say he mentions Skies of Arcadia, but I might just be pulling that out of my ass.
>>
>>6997778
>In the original game, Mantis mentions Azure Dreams, Suikoden, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and Vandal Hearts (plus Policenauts and Tokimeki Memorial in the Japanese version), while in the 2004 remake, he references Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Smash Bros. Melee.
>>
9-volt's stage in Warioware has a ton of references to older games
>>
>>6997785
Must be Eternal Darkness I was thinking of. I knew it was something from left field. That said, I was surprised the first time I played the PS1 version and Mantis knew I'd been playing Vandal Hearts.
>>
File: file.png (43 KB, 640x400)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
Radix: Beyond the Void has a room that looks like *that* room from DOOM's E1M1. You can blow up pretty much everything in this room though.
>>
File: doom2wolfenstein.png (197 KB, 450x450)
197 KB
197 KB PNG
>>6993835
>>6996971
(This is in the official game, it is not a fan-made WAD)
>>
File: Map32_commander_keen.png (61 KB, 800x600)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
>>6993835
>>6998606
>>
The Donkey Kong Country games had the entire gag about Cranky being 80s Donkey Kong and would never shut up about how soulless modern games were compared to the original arcade Donkey Kong game.
>>
>>6998737
sounds familiar...
>>
>>6996887
>i played the Twin Snakes version

I legitimately feel bad for you.
>>
>>6993835
The GB Kirby was my first video game ever so this was actually pretty neat when I went and played the NES version years later. Even if they level design wasn't actually 1 to 1 and my autistic ass noticed
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (22 KB, 480x360)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
Classic bat in Mega Man X

Also, would Mega Man 7 count?
They give him a ton of new animations, but his goofy jump animation is lifted from the NES Mega Man games.
>>
>>6998606
>>6998610
Fuck, I completely forgot about map31 and 32. Been a while since I played through Doom 2. Good catch.
>>
The beginning to Super Metroid is one long call back to Metroid 1.
>>
>>
>>6993835
Super Mario World's Special World will switch its map music to the SMB1 theme if you stay on it long enough.
>>
>>6999898
Similarly, SMB2(USA) plays the theme in Sub-Con, and SMB3 plays it when using the Jukebox item.
>>
>>6994480
The secret staircase before Dracula in Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night is a reference to a glitch in the original game.
>>
Dunno how much this counts but at the end of Bomberman 1 he turns into Lode Runner.

I feel like these sort of company self reference gags are different from meta-videogame stuff and longrunning series lore references though. Though some like Keen in Doom blur the lines.
>>
>>6998737
Good example, especially with how the intro to DKC1 has Cranky listening to the original DK theme while standing on red steel girders.
>>
>>6996887
nice, you played the good version
>>
>>7001198
To add to that, there actually seem to be a lot of little DK/DKJr/DK3 references in DKC series:
Barrels (pretty obvious, but of course barrels were DK's main weapon in the arcade version)
Main enemies are crocodilians - reminiscent of the enemies from the first stage of Jr, with Klaptraps basically being more animalistic direct conversions
DK2's single and double rope climbing is a direct reference to DKJr's climbing, right down to double climbing up being faster
Flaming oil barrels in DKC - match up to DK's first stage oil drum, with boss Dumb Drum referencing how the DK barrel spawned enemies
Necky vultures and Squawks spit coconut/egg looking things, like the bird enemies from the second stage of DKJr
DKC2 involves younger Kongs rescuing Donkey, just like DKJr
Zingers are one of the main enemy types in DKC, and bees were the main enemy type in DK3
>>
>>7001083
What glitch ?
>>
>>7001228
https://youtu.be/2nnhKFTD7co?t=36
>>
File: CutManfight-MMX8.jpg (125 KB, 1280x720)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>6993835
>>
File: Capture.jpg (917 KB, 1271x949)
917 KB
917 KB JPG
I love these kinds of callbacks in games, especially when its a long running series that you've stuck with for a while

Only one that comes to mind at the moment is this NG2 boss that was from the first game
>>
>>7001227
Kremlings were originally developed for another game before being folded into DKC. But hey, maybe DKJr's crocs were a rationale
>>
>>6999898
>>7000660

Don't forget the SMB3 warp whistle being the same tune as Zelda 1's recorder tune (both whisked the player away in a tornado)!
>>
cheat codes for PC games from the same company that just prints out things like "wrong game" or something among those lines.
>>
>>6999662
DAMN I never would have noticed that. Great one
>>
>>7002956
Konami code doing fucky things like killing your ship instead of any bonus
>>
Max from Sam and Max makes appearances in multiple Lucas Arts games
>>
The castle island of Water Land in Mario 3 is based on Japan, and the castle itself is located where Kyoto would be, which is where Nintendo's headquarters is located.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (162 KB, 1280x720)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>>6994480
The game Bloodstained has several references, plus a whole mini section where you can play through a portion of a section that's just like classic Castlevania
>>
>>7000660
>>7002898
Yeah, those are pretty obvious ones. I was thinking of a reference that's not so easily spotted.
>>
>>7003078
One of the optional bosses is a Simon Belmont-esque zombie that's meant to be a jab at how Konami killed the series.
>>
>>7001226
Lol
>>
>>7003101
I think you mean the Revenant fight? That seemed pretty much on the nose.
>>
>>6993870
>SMB2 in general seems to be very much targeting 'people who have played the original SMB to death

No shit, Sherlock. That's why it says on the cover that it's "For Super Players".
>>
File: sddefault.jpg (62 KB, 640x480)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
In the original Monkey Island, there was a gag where you "find a secret entrance" in a stump, but an obviously fake "insert disc x and push enter to continue" (where the X keeps going to increasingly outlandish numbers like 114) pops up so it's impossible to get into the stump. LucasArts got a metric fuckton of calls about it from people who didn't realize it was joke and legitimately thought they were missing a disc. In the sequel, you can call the LucasArts help line and ask about the stump joke, and the employee gets pissed at you because she's so sick of people calling to ask about the damn stump.
>>
>>7002974
That's a main gag in Parodius. Putting in the Konami Code instantly gives you a game over.
>>
>>7003185
Oh, is it? Thanks for cracking the code, Einstein.
>>
>>7003101
Why did that room need a "Warhorse" key, anyway? Was that some kind of translation mistake or reference I don't get?
>>
>>7003584
猛者 is literally just "warrior". They tried to use "warhorse" in the sense of "that old warhorse", which doesn't really fucking work in a series where you fight demon horses to begin with.
>>
Bumping this just because it's better than "scotformer" shitposts, ZX Spectrum shitposts, or whatever else /vr/'s on about.
>>
>>7003078
>>7003101
>list of town peasants to save
>it's fucking all Castlevania character names
good stuff
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (28 KB, 480x360)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
Would this count?
>>
>>7005485
I'd say that Red not having any dialog ("… …") certainly does.
>>
File: NES_V-Ball_Billy.png (4 KB, 256x240)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
more of a cameo I guess but you can pick Billy and Jimmy from DD in Super Spike V'Ball
>>
That bit in MGS where you can optionally look on the back of the real-life cd case to find Meryl's codec frequency.

>>7003037
Yeah, there's some level in the first Dark Forces where the outline on the minimap is Max's face.
>>
File: fish.jpg (41 KB, 512x384)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>6998610
>>
>>7001226
"good"
>>
>>7003078
And while we're not retro
https://youtu.be/1JCgNWXUDyk
>>
>>7001226
Based

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.