[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

>game is too old to work on windows10
>game is too recent to work in dosbox
>>
File: rms_install_gentoo.jpg (164 KB, 550x544)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>>6563545
Install Linux and WINE.
>>
>>6563545
>windows 10
>>
This game is extremely based as is Rogue Spear. A game which punishes you for trying to aim while running or moving quickly, one shot and you're dead, zoomers never played a game where you get shot once and it's game over until the end of the match which could take 1/2 hour. And the idea of drawing up battle plans on architectural plans and even encountering differences, etc? Never been tried since.
>>
>>6563763
it's like the hardcore tabletop version of counter-strike
not for everyone, but damn good if you're into it
>>
>>6563554
That's just adding an extra layer of shit to wade through to get it to work.
>>
>>6563789
But it just werks.
>>
>>6563554
i'm stuck in windows doing work atm and i thought it'd be funny to see if wine works in wsl
and well.. it does.. but wsl doesn't support 32bit programs it seems, which makes it pretty useless for this purpose
>>
>>6563763
>And the idea of drawing up battle plans on architectural plans
this is why i want to play it. i've been searching for something /vr/ where you plan for a phase then it's executed by ai guys in real time. In this one you have to do some in person and the whole mission is one pre-planned action phase but still to me that beats x-com and space crusade etc. where you ?? move one guy at a time but combat is sort of being resolved during that??
I tried the n64 Rainbow 6 it was just a bit too tedious doing the planning because it won't let you zoom out far enough
>>
File: 1588987497788.jpg (183 KB, 547x406)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>6563545
Is it that hard to install older windows on some old business laptop you buy fag?

>even using cia/windows in current year

Only fools went past 7 and xp was better by far.
Winxp had a win9x compatibility mode for applications did it not? How old is that game op? Can you not afford some 50-90 usd business laptop from 2009ish with winxp on it?
>>
>>6564010
>Only fools went past 7
well sorry, the next version of solidworks won't support windows 7
>>
>>6563964
well got it to run 32bit programs using qemu-user, but still can't run the 16bit setup.exe
>>
>>6563545
>windows 10
>using windows 10
you fucking retards should stop using 10 and start using 7
>>
>>6564059
see >>6564018
>>
>>6563545
gog version works fine
>>
>>6564010
why post some transsex prostie thing in a comfy thread? anyway no, i can't even afford shoes. But luckily since I pasted in some dlls from a thing called dgvoodoo it basically works
>>
>>6564053
Yo dawg, I heard you like operating systems.
>>
>>6564382
heh, yea, that's the rs1 autorun, a 32bit windows program, running on 32bit wine being executed on a virtual cpu provided by the 64bit gnu version of qemu running within the context of a gnu userland running on top of a linux-like subsystem designed for 64bit windows.
>>
File: screen.jpg (8 KB, 425x92)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
I don't have it installed right now but I remember this did the trick for me.
>>
google Rainbow Six Black Ops. Its a fan made conversion that ports the original Rainbow Six into the rogue spear engine and combines it with Rogue Spear and all Rogue expansions into a single campaign. And it works on modern systems.
>>
>>6564018
Literally never heard of it. Just use the older version and stop enabling feature creeping and other capitalist bullshitery.

>>6564352
It's agatha.
>>
>>6564548
>Just use the older version and stop enabling feature creeping
yea sure, i'll just keep doing things the harder way when they add features that'll save me time
this isn't an office suite
i don't upgrade every version, but i do when there's features i'll use
>>
>>6563545
This game runs fine on my Win 10 'retro' tablet (Lenovo) with attachable keyboard and usb port for mouse (32bit windows, max 4gb ram). The game itself is 16 bit so it's backwards compatible with any 32bit windows version (7/8/10). If you want to play Windows 98 era games, a cheap tablet/keyboard combination with 32bit windows 10 is the way to go, still has more than enough power even with Intel Atom and integrated GPU.
>>
>>6564553
>this software is going to force me to buy a whole new operating system and or computer but that's okay with me!

Yeah so convenient being forced to use cia/windows. Enjoy the bloated spyware with less backwards compatibility than any previous os by the original windows organization.
>>
>>6564559
the game isn't 16bit, only it's installer is
but that reminds me that someone ported winevdm to windows (wine's version of ntvdm, the system 32bit windows used to run 16bit windows programs), which enabled 16bit windows programs to work in 64bit windows

>>6564561
buy?
and no, i hate it, but it's all solidworks supports, so i use it for that (and only that)
>>
The installer doesn't work? Just make your own installer, bro. Inno setup'd that bitch.
>>
>>6563545
Just fucking install Windows XP in VMWare Workstation/Player
VMWare has full Dx 1-9 hardware acceleration support. I play plenty of my Win98/XP era games this way.
>>
got it to run by using winevdm to run the installer, and dgvoodoo (just crashes otherwise)
>>
>>6564690
>just
this guy thinks i can 'just' emulate another computer on my netbook that has 150mb hdd space left after windows 10 installs (hence why games like "Rainbow 6 Demo" are right up my alley. Just got to remember to delete the installer zip after i unpack or it's black screen from not enough graphics mem to show the desktop)
>>
>>6563995
you might enjoy frozen synapse and door busters (neither retro)
>>
>>6564532
damn didn't know that was a thing... would be cool to have it as one single campaign... can't say I noticed any difference in the engine when I went from the original to Rogue Spear though
>>
>>6566583
basically looking for retro equivalents of those was the idea here. it's annoying because there's no mechanics reason for the games to need 8gb graphics ram it's just default modern bloat like how webpages that should be text only are 5mb
>>
>>6563545
Rogue Spear came with a map editor. I would make custom maps and play them online. Probably the best multiplayer experience I've had. Those fuckers totally ruined an amazing series.
>>
>>6563763
Someone post that LMG run and gun webm please
>>
>>6566561
>on my netbook that has 150mb hdd space left after windows 10
does it have a 10GB hdd or something? why would you try to run windows 10 on something that old?
>>
>>6566561
Well why didn't you mention that you had no fucking storage on your shit laptop thats worse specced then the one I bought used 7 years ago from a junk shop? Thats useful info jackass.
>>
>>6563545
Isnt there some way to effectively emulate an older OS to use software for it on a newer system?

I mean, if you're THAT desperate, just emulate thendreamcast version of something.
>>
>>6567115
>>6564690
>>
>>6567110
cos i wasn't asking for tech support, IT fag. plus i already said in the thread i got it to work
>>
>>6567153
How the fuck is offering a solution for running late 90s and early 00s games "tech support". Are you fucking stupid?
>>
>>6567154
you're right, sorry. i just fell into a bad attitude because an incel has posted r9k stuff in the thread
>>
>>6567158
Fair enough, I shouldn't get too angry either at someone playing R6 since thats some top shit.
>>
Anyone know why the mouselook is so fucked? it seems mis-quantized or some shit. aside from the locking to enemies, if you're just in the open trying to look around it gets stuck in ruts and sometimes you can move the mouse a whole pad length and not get it to look up
>>
>>6568502
check out what pcgamingwiki has to say about it
>>
>>6563545
Just buy a PS Classic Mini
>>
>>6568502
thanks ahh i mean roger that uhh tango bluebird
>>
>>6563554
this is actually what I do.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.