[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

I wanted to know if I should try this game out, I wanna start a new rpg after I finished chrono trigger in late may
>>
>game
But you posted a visual novel.
>>
>>6562484
No
>>
File: As1LHiX.png (144 KB, 500x595)
144 KB
144 KB PNG
>>6562484
Yes
It'll give you this feeling inside, you won't want to touch any other RPG after it because you know it won't be as good
>>
>>6562484
>>6563498
Shit game is shit. I thought they were going to build something to limit this abomination?
>>
>>6562502
Only the second disc is really like that. It is pretty obvious they rushed it out only halfway done. But it's still an extremely based game.
>>
File: 1563058056083.png (405 KB, 480x1019)
405 KB
405 KB PNG
>>6562484
Do you want to play a game that's LITERALLY only half finished, full of enough shitty and superficial references to the bible to make EVA blush and that has a second half that is literally the MC sitting in a chair and being told the rest of the story because they ran out of money?
Go for it if so.
>>
>>6562484
the good: tons of awesome lore, world building, characters, and the best soundtrack in gaming history.
the bad: tons of slow text, horrible camera and controls, ugly graphics (but with soul) and you won't know what is going on for the first 25 hours of the game.

IMO if you like Chrono Cross, Xenogears has a lot of the same feel. but it's a slow burn and requires the player to pay attention.
>>
File: atolm.webm (2.84 MB, 480x358)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB WEBM
>>6563498
Lets not overrate Xenogears, it's a fine game but clearly a goofy game reliant on what was popular in media at the time, has a fun combat system and it's well known how it implodes on itself. If it was a finished game it would be a solid 9/10, as it is, it hits a 7/10 in its entirety.

It's also not even the best RPG from its own year.
>>
>>6563547
>Shit game is shit.
hello fellow xenohater! how goes the trolling?
>>
>>6563625
...does >>6563612 have a clitoris? If so, would it be the Grand Clitoris of all females of that world?
>>
File: miang_hawwa.jpg (19 KB, 400x331)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>6563631
>would it be the Grand Clitoris of all females of that world?
no, that's Miang
>>
>>6563640
...so, if Fei flicked if, would it have caused the Clitoclyst?
>>
>>6563656
yeah i guess. if the contact shared his power with system hawwa, that'd be the end of everything right there.
>>
>>6563668
The Grand Orgasm of all females would STILL be better than the shit plot of this game. At least Solaris falling was a small respite.
>>
>>6562484

If you have the time and patience. Do it. Use a guide.
>>
>lends Xenogears to good friend
>ask him a few months later if he beat it
>tells me he sold it to pay his rent including strategy guide
>feels weird
>he proceeds to buy me FF artbooks and FF merchandise
>wants to sue him in small claims court
>>
>>6563750
are you two that poor?
>>
op, did you decide yet?
>>
>>6562502
visual novels are video games
>>
>>6562484
>>6563589 & >>6563613 Are correct, however they do downplay the utterly phenomenal sprite graphics and animations for the characters. make no mistake, this game has tons of structural flaws in its plot and is technically unfinished, but there's alot of good shit in the game*play* department for most of the game until you get into fucked up areas leading into disc 2 like half an hour + of cutscenes with no save states and that one section of Disc 2 that royally fucks you over if you don't have enough cash to afford robot upgrades.

So yeah, it's hit and miss, but it's not terrible, either.
>>
>>6564989
Interactive anime.
>>
>>6563547
Each time I see your posts my love for XG increases.
>>
>>6565097
Most cultists operate in the same fashion. Some bullshit about building "energy" from hate.
>>
>>6562484
Be awared you'll be reading through a quantity of text that's comparable to a George R R Martin book. Or two.
Other than that, great jrpg
Protip: The quickest way to learn all combos with Fei is to start by mashing square button only every battle.
>>
>>6565310
>Other than that, great jrpg.
Lol, no.
>>
I just finished it last week.
It was pretty great.
Very ambitious game. Also big flaws.
I will make a post about it tomorrow when I'm not so tired.
>>
>>6563613
What gayme is that in the webm?
>>
>>6562484
Some JRPGs I began to really like (like Front Mission 3 for example), but Xenogears might be the worst "hidden gem" game I've ever laid my hands on. I barely progressed past the starting village because of the single worst case of random encounters at every single step I've ever experienced. How tf does anyone can go through that shit without wanting to kill himself. I heard the story is quite interesting and the anime sequences are great (the starting sequence was really good I must say), but it seems to me not worth it when the entire gameplay is just random encounter after random encounter.
>>
>>6564990
It's very flawed but there's enough going on to see past it, that the flaws only detract a little from the sum of the whole. It's already a game that's greater than the sum of its parts, so the shortcomings while apparent, do not destroy the game.

>>6566113
panzer dragoon saga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qia3_eyLNpk
>>
>>6563581
I don't think so, like xenosaga it was going to be split in parts, we're lucky we even got some closure
>>
>>6566206
Random encounters in MY jrpg?
>>
>>6566493
>closure
Lol
>>
>>6562484
>actually bought game
>seems mint
>only 5 usd
>scratched at end
>decide emulate
>beginning shows glitch and really laggy on computer

:(
>>
>>6563547
>>6563589

Based. Fuck xenobots.
>>
>>6567047
Yes, some being the key word, it would’ve ended on disc 1
>>
>>6566206
Well you better haul ass to Citan's house then you know where to go.
>>
>>6565760
Seethe more FFaggot.
>>
>>6567349
I pray for Chu, cultist.
>>
>>6566206
dude, if you just take the path to citans house you fight like 4 whole battles. if you want to dick around and jump off cliffs and run in circles, that's your own business.
>>
>That one seething BoF4 queer got so booty blasted he’s shitting up an Xeno thread
>>
>>6567891
Not him, but still a better series. Save for III's fucking "cloud city" last area.
>>
File: 324523525.jpg (165 KB, 749x1132)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>6562484
Yes, you should try it out. I've played and beaten Xenogears three times. I'd like to point out that a lot of the criticism you read regarding the story needs to be processed with the understanding that this game came out at a time when there were very few games that dared to venture into deep topics as Xenogears does. I get the impression that this game was aiming for something very lofty and came insanely close to achieving it, but wasn't fully realized. That being said, it's a fucking amazing game that is absolutely worth your time. The only thing I'll warn you about is that the combat can get really repetitive.
>>
>>6568686
>very few games that dared to venture into deep topics as Xenogears does
In the console market, yes, at that time for a jrpg. In the greater of gaming as a whole, no.

Sora was fucked over.
>>
>>6568695
>In the console market, yes, at that time for a jrpg.

This is a fair point that I should have qualified in my response, I appreciate the correction, friend.
>>
>>6568695
On the contrary, you're wrong.
>>
>>6568703
Mecha ruined a good story. That and the heads of Square.
>>
>>6568703
No, but it is correct to say shit game is shit.
>>
>>6563787
>>bids
Retard.
>>
>>6568648
>Still a better series
Not even close. BoF is the pinnacle of mediocrity.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.