[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: hqdefault.jpg (27 KB, 480x360)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
How was a suppose to know that you have to growl at a pink monkey to progress.

I literally got filtered at the second level.
>>
How am I suposed to know I have to jump on top of it?
>>
>>6557434
You need to read the manual that came with the game to know that.
>>
>>6557439
Not the same comparison the growl was never used in the previous level. And it 100% useless until you reach that level.

>>6557442
I was think is there a way to fix it or is it bad game design.
>>
>>6557434
I figured this shit out when I was goddamn five. The monkeys throw you about, they are the means to which you will progress, yet they aren't throwing you where to go, the pink monkey sticks out and there are only two of them, you can only attack, jump or roar so you try that on them and they move, signifying that they will do something different now, most likely throw you in a different direction. Zoomers have no critical thinking skils whatsoever, they need to be told how to do absolutely goddamn everything and it pisses me off. They are the ideal mindless corporate worker drone.
>>
>>6557449
Maybe if they gave the monkeys ear plugs except for a color change.
Also is the growl even used after this level.
>>
>>6557434
Doesn't it say "scare the monkeys" or something on screen? I knew to do it as a kid somehow
>>
File: playtesterswhatthefuck.png (1.01 MB, 631x1022)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
>>6557443
>I was think is there a way to fix it or is it bad game design.
I'm getting really sick and fucking tired of people trying to use "bad game design" as a means of masking how fucking stupid they are.
>>
It tells you what to do at the beginning of the level
>>
>>6557434
>How was a suppose to know that you have to growl at a pink monkey to progress.

The SNES controller has 8 buttons, 2 of which that are not used in gameplay. Try pressing them.
>>
>>6557449
>Zoomers have no critical thinking skils whatsoever
OP is probably a 40 year old man who gets his kicks shitposting.
>>
>>6557519
How am I supposed to know I have to use the controller?
>>
>>6557484
>>6557510
>>6557519
>>6557536

Ah yes get stuck at a level
And start pressing random buttons.
PEAK GAME DESIGN
>>
>>6557484
half life 2 is not retro
>>
>>6557553
A game should be fun to play around in.

Like yes. I should want to jump around in the level and do stuff
>>
>>6557553
Unironically how humanity got to where it is today, replicating that feeling of something suddenly working and identifying with your ancestors for a brief moment by experiencing what they did is top tier game design kino. It's a fucking game, not a movie or an amusement ride.
>>
>>6557434
should have read the manual
>>
>>
>>6557553
an hero, zoomer
>>
>>6557434
https://www.tutorialspoint.com/critical_thinking/critical_thinking_introduction.htm
>>
File: 100superretard.jpg (41 KB, 767x431)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>6557642
OH WOW. Zoomers have become so fucking dense that even telling them exactly what to do isn't enough, it has to be done for them.
>>
>>6557443
>And it 100% useless until you reach that level.
Try growling at hedgehogs
>>
>>6557434
It's okay. I remember renting this game multile times and having no idea what you are supposed to do in this part when I was a little zoomie. That's not even the worst part of this level, there's a part where you need to jump while riding an ostrich but for some reason in the SNES version the precision of that jump must be almost pixel perfect. Hardest second level ever
>>
>>6557434
It tells you in the manual.
>>
>>6557715

The game tells you!
>>
>>6557728
Yes but I was dumb and I didn't understand english at the time
>>
>>6557484
>[Greg Coomer]
Lel
>>
>>6557434
I somehow figure this out but the last emu part with the stupid trees was too much.
>>
>>6557642
Still shit design. What If i look away for a moment ? What if I can't read english ?

It is a 2d platform what you have to do need to be organic.
>>
>>6557484
Most people are dumbasses who need constant hand holding
>>
>>6557927

>What If i look away for a moment ?

What if you look away for a moment when a hyena or something is about to leap at you? Then you fail... until a later attempt when you get another chance to read the text. You want the game to be easily playable ON THE FIRST TRY by people who are not consistently looking at the screen??? You are insane.

> What if I can't read english ?

Then at least you have a big clue on the screen that something unusual may be going on in this level. Yes it's not ideal that an action game like this would rely on words in such a clumsy way, but it's not nearly as bad as you're saying.
>>
File deleted.
>>6557434
>playing a retro western console game that's not the genesis version
worse than torture
I tried the snes version of toy story recently and it doesn't even have any fucking music while the sega version has randy newman and 3D doomlike corridor segments.
>>
So is this bait or are you really such a mindless zoomy that you don't push buttons at random shit when you're stuck.
>>
>>6557472
>>6557642
YES
I'm glad that wasnt a false memory
>>
>>6557442
This is a good point. If you rented the game, you likely didn't have access to the manual. The publisher didn't want you to rent the game, they wanted you to buy it.
>>
>>6557472
Yes, it literally said "roar at monkeys". I think most of the complaints about this level are from third world children who couldn't read English at the time.
>>
>>6558387

???

There is music and there is 3D first-person maze-running: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzEUcFsHD8I

Were you using a broken emulator or something?
>>
File: hurrrrr.png (751 KB, 856x633)
751 KB
751 KB PNG
>>6557434
was every faggot itt blind? did you retards even play the game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHhIb5KowV8
>>
>>6557484
>they didn't go upstairs because a guard told them not to

Lmao meanwhile the whole game is about breaking rules and being a fugitive
>>
>>6559926
>roar at a blue monkey
>nonthing happen

why do you defend terrible game design?
>>
>>6559926
>was every faggot itt blind?
I only had the Gamegear version, which doesn't have the message and there's no color difference between the monkeys.
>>
>it's the daily "this game is too hard!" thread
>>
>>6560172
We've had numerous ones today. Like the fag bitching about Lost Levels. Zoomers were a mistake.
>>
>>6559965
I mean I didn't have a problem with it when I was 8 so it really sucks to have your shithouse brain.
>>
I remember getting stuck on this bit as a kid too.

Its such a weird unnecessary bit, why even put it in.
It's not like a puzzle to figure out.
>>
>>6559926
Watching James play this was awful. Mike had to explain to him that two up arrows on the ostrich meant jump twice and he still couldn't get it.
>>
>>6557553
This post made me depressed.
>>
>>6560263
There's a reason he spent 7 years in special ed.
>>
>>6557553
I know you're having fun but you need to stop
>>
File: unnamed.png (19 KB, 256x224)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>6561831
>>6561923
I gone back to my post and all you guy can do is call me zoomer because I expect more from abvideo games. Oh well I stop playing that game and found a a better game.

Also are there any more good disney games.
>>
what makes no sense is why the ground kills you
you should have to execute everything properly to proceed, but if you fall on the non-lava/spike/poison ground, there is an obstacle at the end of the segment that you can't jump over from the ground
so you just have to run back and start the monkey tree or ostrich segment again
having the entire ground be instant death should be designated for the back half of the game, not the second level
>>
>>6557434
My guess is, I've watched recently how kids play games, and they think even the most minor points are a big fucking deal. They will do inconsequential things in the game over and over. I figure based on that, the designers just asserted that with nothing better to do, kids would just try every fucking thing, even the ones that seem ridiculous or obtuse, because their consideration for how much time a game demands is completely different from ours.
>>
>>6561962

You should also find a better forum to hang around in, one that is full of unusually stupid and hostile people who speak your native language. Here, some people are at a normal level of intelligence, some people are friendly sometimes, and the standard language is English. Because of all of this, you do not belong here.
>>
>>6562037
why so hostile? because English is my second language or is because I am new to this retro hobby. I was being kind and friendly and you guy insult me and called me names. all did was question a game quality. frendo
>>
>>6562138
Because you are terrible at video games. No one is impressed with your inability to handle a monkey puzzle from over 2 decades ago. You have added nothing to the conversation. Go away.
>>
>>6557434

If OP had such a hard time with the monkeys in the Lion King, I can't imagine him even getting remotely close to beating a game like Shadowgate or the first Metroid game.
>>
>>6560263
their James and Mike play videos can be pretty lame. Far too many times they're just absolute shit at the game or doing things completely wrong and act like it's the game's fault and it's just flawed. If they even would just skim the manual before games there has been many times it would've pointed out basic things to them they failed to grasp
>>
>>6562037
I'm great at classic games (Grew up on the NES and SNES religiously) and even I had a hell of a time with that second level (I couldn't tell what was killing me in the ostrich part of the level and gave up). I would go back to that game every now and then and when friends were over at my house I would show them the "impossible game" and none of them knew why we were dying. I got the game at a garage sale super cheap when I was 9 so it didn't have a manual. I would just screw around in the first level and have a blast and then try beating the second level but die like always.
>>
File: 441726.jpg.png (60 KB, 192x192)
60 KB
60 KB PNG
>>6557484
>Greg Coomer
you can't make this shit up
>>
>>6557434
Goddammit Chase.
>>
>>6560263
I legit like James but he's worse at games than most zoomers.
>>
>>6557439
/thread
>>6557434
Man, Americans are such morons.
>>
>>6557434
>>I literally got filtered at the second level.
It's a metaphor.

You're supposed to get stuck there as a kid and come back ten years later to beat the game.

How do you not know the lyrics to that song
>>
File: 1593007361581.webm (2.32 MB, 640x360)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB WEBM
>>6557484
Valve in particular are way too aggressive with catering to mongoloids. Remember when they ruined the VR industry for years by pushing the meme that it was a vomit fest unless you used specific garbage movement modes and everyone believed them?
They have their reasons, and they're good reasons, but they take it a step too far.

However rounding off the edges really is an important part of game design.
In fact, you should always do it even if you want the hardcore audience because you can never anticipate stupid stumbling blocks on your first pass, but you can do it without homogenising the experience for players who aren't retarded.
Done properly, players will learn what they need to know without even knowing they're learning. If you gate them well they won't be able to be too retarded even if nature wanted them to be.

Unless they're journalists. Which is what Valve is afraid of: I have a theory they made Artefact just to break the expectation that they should never fuck up.
But turning mazes into corridors is a really blunt approach to problems there are more elegant solutions for.
>>
>>6557553
It's not a fucking steel battalion controller. How about not be a baby. I got filtered by Superman for Genesis but I'm not going to pretend like it wasn't cuz i was just five years old and retarded
>>
>>6564146
https://youtu.be/2P4lXmyR6dQ
>>
>>6564137

Dan is very good journalist. Just he doesn't care about games and doesn't play them. His field is business and industry side of things. At least he is intelligent enough to take it easy and to don't care about you toxic internet degenerates.
>>
>>6564605
>journalist
>good
All journalists deserve the rope.
>>
>>6564605
Hello Dan.
Journalistic integrity would include not grossly misrepresenting an artwork and the efforts of the people behind it by broadcasting your pathetic incompetence.
>>
>>6564605
>Dan is very good journalist
Hes a literal NPC only capable of regurgitating information with slightly different words and calling it "journalism". Having absolutely zero critical thinking skills or even the ability to read text on a screen would lead anyone to believe he is severely brain damaged
>>
>>6559671
>If you rented the game, you likely didn't have access to the manual.
I don't know which video rental stores were by you, but every game I rented from Blockbuster had a short manual typed up on the back of the box.
>>
>>6557443
>>6557465
>>6557472
the roar is a core function. it literally tells you to do it. you have a meter for roar power. you can use it on some enemies in stages before and after this one too. its a core part of the game. the pink monkeys stand out and respond to it with an obvious toggle, and theres only so much you can DO in that level besides get tossed around. trial and error-ing less than a handful of basic functions shouldnt be that for a child. also THE GAME TELLS YOU TO ROAR AT MONKEYS. not understanding english is your fault, not the game's.
>>
>>6557484
Let's be honest here, in games like that, a guard saying "Don't go up there" is code for "If you cross this invisible line every cunt in the building will try to kill you".
>>
>>6564137
>Remember when they ruined the VR industry for years by pushing the meme that it was a vomit fest unless you used specific garbage movement modes and everyone believed them?
Actually no, I never heard this in my life.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.